Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oregon joins states where roadkill can be harvested for food

Oregon joins states where roadkill can be harvested for food

Oh, geez...why on earth would this even be illegal in the first place?

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — A bill recently signed into law in Oregon allows drivers who crash into deer and elk on the road to harvest the animals' meat for food.

It's not as rare as you might think.

About 20 other states also let people take meat from animals killed by vehicles. And advocates say roadkill can be high-quality, grass-fed grub.

Washington state began allowing the salvaging of deer and elk carcasses a year ago.

In Pennsylvania, people can take deer or turkeys that are killed on the road if they report the incidents to the state Game Commission within 24 hours.

In Oregon, Gov. Kate Brown signed the roadkill measure with little fanfare last week after lawmakers passed it without a single "nay" vote.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/oregon-jo...232611099.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Minnesota passed a law in 1987 that permits deer to be salvaged . They do not need permits for possum , raccoon and skunk . These are used to make barbarian spam which is eaten before activities like ice fishing , hockey etc .
    Do something Danke

Awesome. More freedom than we have here on that issue. Aw well, maybe we can legalize next session.

It's so stupid that some states make you a criminal for not letting millions of pounds of good meat rot.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

About 20 other states also let people take meat from animals killed by vehicles.
    How very gracious of them.
    "The Patriarch"

do you mean we are allowed to eat food now? yay
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

I was curious because my uncle picks up roadkill deer fairly regularly. I never occurred to that it would be illegal.

If you're curious about your state, you can click here.

Restrictions on importing cervid parts; it is illegal to sell the hide of any domestic dog or cat caught in a trap; it is illegal to sell or transfer parts of any crocodilian species considered endangered by the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service; an agent-trapper permit or farm license is required to sell alligator parts.

Georgia DNR Wildlife Resources Division; hunting regulations, including information on importing cervids; trapping regulations including information on alligators; trapping license info; the Georgia “Road Kill Bill”; regulations on export of wildlife, to include for scientific purposes

Roadkilled native species may be legally collected, though you must notify the state about roadkilled black bears; wildlife parts collected for scientific purposes require a permit.
    http://www.thegreenwolf.com/u-s-state-laws/
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

About 20 other states also let people take meat from animals killed by vehicles.
    I detect a degree of sarcasm in your remark. Silly person ...

Without the government, who would allow people to take meat from animals killed by vehicles?
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I detect a degree of sarcasm in your remark. Silly person ...

Without the government, who would allow people to take meat from animals killed by vehicles?
    Thank you for not assuming my gender. That's right, without government you would have people picking up dead animals willie nillie. And you can't have that, it would be anarchy.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was going to say generous. Gracious implies permission. Here they are "giving" something us eat from their bounty.

Roadkilled native species may be legally collected, though you must notify the state about roadkilled black bears; wildlife parts collected for scientific purposes require a permit.
    If you're going to eat them it's cool but if you're going to experiment on them you need a permit? WTF?

Thank you for not assuming my gender.
    You're welcome. I would never be so borrishly crass as to do such an offensive thing ...

That's right, without government you would have people picking up dead animals willie nillie. And you can't have that, it would be anarchy.
    The really important thing is that there needs to be a State-issued Rule.

It doesn't really matter what the Rule is - for example, you could be allowed to take roadkill, or not - just as long as there is a Rule of some kind and the State issues it.

Otherwise, it would indeed be anarchy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    If you're going to eat them it's cool but if you're going to experiment on them you need a permit? WTF?
    See my previous reply to Origanalist.

The more Rules and sub-Rules the State give us, the better we can stave off the paralyzing confusion of anarchy.

I, for one, will sleep much better knowing that there is a Rule governing whether and how people may experiment upon roadkill ...

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 06-25-2017 at 10:56 AM.

You're welcome. I would never be so borrishly crass as to do such an offensive thing ...

The really important thing is that there needs to be a State-issued Rule.

It doesn't really matter what the Rule is - for example, you could be allowed to take roadkill, or not - just as long as there is a Rule of some kind and the State issues it.

Otherwise, it would indeed be anarchy ...
    Yes, this is very important. It doesn't really matter what the law is, as long as there is a law. People can't self regulate you know. We would all be dead in a week.
    "The Patriarch"

I'd really like to get one of these people that come up with these helpful laws alone so that I could better understand their thought process... It's is wholly alien to me, I would like to experiment.

See my previous reply to Origanalist.

The more Rules and sub-Rules the State give us, the better we can stave off the paralyzing confusion of anarchy.

I, for one, will sleep much better knowing that there is a Rule governing whether and how people may experiment upon roadkill ...

Muh experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post
    I'd really like to get one of these people that come up with these helpful laws alone so that I could better understand their thought process... It's is wholly alien to me, I would like to experiment.
    You better get a permit.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, geez...why on earth would this even be illegal in the first place?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oregon-jo...232611099.html
    My guess would be that they control hunting with licenses, permits and tags, and they don't want "roadkill" used as a way to get around that. "It stepped right out in front of us. The bullet hole is just a coincidence."

Seems like there used to be a problem with old roadkill being used for rendering and being sold for human consumption.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

What about if you want to smear them on your face and lips?

Road Kill (tallow), 13 Gross Ingredients Hidden in Your Beauty Products - (Page 11)

Road Kill (tallow) According to Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database, the process of rendering animal fat consists of boiling animal carcasses in a pot to create fatty byproducts. The decaying animals used come from every source imaginable: lab animals, deadstock (animals that die before they reach the slaughterhouse), euthanized zoo and shelter animals, expired meat from grocery stores and -- wait for it -- road kill. The majority of this fat is used as a skin-conditioning agent and an emollient in cosmetics like lipstick, eyeshadow and soap.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    What about if you want to smear them on your face and lips?
    I've eaten it so why not smear it on my face? Urine is also in some cosmetics.

Not the worst thing I've had on my face.

Man Dragging Roadkill Shot by Dog-Lover: Sheriff

(Newser) – Authorities say an altercation over a dead raccoon led to a shooting in rural Washington state, the AP reports. Mason County Sheriff's Lt. Travis Adams tells KOMO a man was walking along a highway Sunday dragging the roadkill behind him with a rope. The animal had been hit by a car, and he wanted to use it as crab bait. Adams says two vehicles stopped, and people confronted the man because they thought he was dragging a dead dog. One person who had been in a pickup truck shot the man twice in the leg. Both vehicles then sped off. Deputies have contacted people in the other vehicle, and authorities say they're cooperating. No arrests have been made. The man is expected to recover.
    http://www.newser.com/story/244924/s...-shooting.html

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Awesome. More freedom than we have here on that issue. Aw well, maybe we can legalize next session.

It's so stupid that some states make you a criminal for not letting millions of pounds of good meat rot.
    You can't eat it, but zoophilia being legal in your state, you could always claim it as your lover...

I've eaten it so why not smear it on my face? Urine is also in some cosmetics. Not the worst thing I've had on my face.

When I lived there I always used fish in my crab traps . That meat must have been pretty ripe if he was rope dragging it .
    Do something Danke

So does this mean, if you find a dead Bald Eagle on the side of the road, you can harvest it for food?

Seems to conflict with other laws I've heard about.

Seems like collecting the feathers of a dead bird, shouldn't be against any law as long as you didn't cause the death of the bird.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The more Rules and sub-Rules the State gives us, the better we can stave off the paralyzing confusion of anarchy.
    UPDATE

Important Rules and sub-Rules highlighted in color (from thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...new-state-laws):

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Oregon has become the latest state to allow animals mowed down by vehicles to be harvested for human consumption.

The measure, which went into effect Tuesday, allows people to harvest meat from deer and elk which have been struck by vehicles, the Associated Press reported.

Oregon lawmakers first approved the measure— Senate Bill 372— in 2017.

But there is a catch for residents who want to make meat out of roadkill. The law states that residents have to apply for a permit within 24 hours if they want to use the meat of an elk or deer for food.

The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is sweetening the deal for those who happen to unintentionally strike animals while on the road by providing the “roadkill salvage permits” for free, the Statesman Journal reported.

Drivers who want to obtain one of these permits have to give the animal’s head and antlers to the agency within five business days.

More at: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...roadkill-food/
    Anarchy has been averted! *whew*

(And please note the magnanimous graciousness of our Rule-making overlords in granting us free post hoc permits ... isn't that swell of them ... ?)

Well this is great. Harvest the road kill and pay fees and taxes on it. What will we do next? Set up feeders and tax people to supply food for the buzzards. Are buzzards less of a living creature than other forms of life? Who is the ultimate decider of what lives and dies?

I think we need to change our thinking on what we do with human's after death. Instead of just putting them in the ground in a pine box that will rot and all will turn to dirt, we should begin injecting chemicals into corpses and then put them in steel caskets and concrete vaults. I think no person should be buried directly in the ground.

We should stop wasting our water. Instead of keeping clean water separated from gray water we should begin using water to flush feces down a new device called a flush toilet. We should mix human waste with clean water and flush it down to a central processing facility where brilliant people can then filter the feces out of the sewage and use the filtered mixture to supply fresh good quality drinking water to the masses.

It is very important that we need to know and be educated on what to do with roadkill. Permits are key to civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Minnesota passed a law in 1987 that permits deer to be salvaged . They do not need permits for possum , raccoon and skunk . These are used to make barbarian spam which is eaten before activities like ice fishing , hockey etc .
    The savages around here have been doing this way before 1987 (probably the reason legislators were pressured to changer the law).

I have seen teepees set up around deer and moose crossing road signs.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    do you mean we are allowed to eat food now? yay
    With the proper permits, yes
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I never occurred to that it would be illegal.
    It shouldn't be illegal. The right to hunt animals, even with a vehicle, is why the 2nd amendment was created.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

I've eaten it so why not smear it on my face? Urine is also in some cosmetics. Not the worst thing I've had on my face.
    Annnnd suzanimal's PM box is full again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast