Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Americans Are Dying With An Average Of $61,500 In Debt

Americans Are Dying With An Average Of $61,500 In Debt

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...age-61500-debt

According to a recent study, the average total household debt in America is just over $132,500, broken down as per the chart below...

... and thanks to the Fed's recent and ongoing rate increases, the repayment of said debt will become increasingly more difficult. So difficult, in fact, that most Americans will be saddled with a sizable chunk of it at the time of their death.

Actually, most already are.

According to December 2016 data from credit bureau Experian provided to credit.com, 73% of American consumers had outstanding debt when they were reported as dead. Those consumers carried an average total balance of $61,554, including mortgage debt. Without home loans, the average balance was $12,875.

As credit.com reports, the data is based on Experian’s FileOne database, which includes 220 million consumers. (There are about 242 million adults in the U.S., according to 2015 estimates from the Census Bureau.) To determine the average debt people have when they die, Experian looked at consumers who, as of October 2016, were not deceased, but then showed as deceased as of December 2016.

Among the 73% of consumers who had debt when they died, about 68% had credit card balances. The next most common kind of debt was mortgage debt (37%), followed by auto loans (25%), personal loans (12%) and student loans (6%).

The breakdown of unpaid balances was as follows: credit cards, $4,531; auto loans, $17,111; personal loans, $14,793; and student loans, $25,391. And, as a reminder, debt doesn’t just disappear when someone dies.

What happens to that debt when you die, aside from it continuing to accrue interest until someone remembers to inform the creditors?

“Debt belongs to the deceased person or that person’s estate,” said Darra L. Rayndon, an estate planning attorney with Clark Hill in Scottsdale, Arizona. If someone has enough assets to cover their debts, the creditors get paid, and beneficiaries receive whatever remains. But if there aren’t enough assets to satisfy debts, creditors lose out (they may get some, but not all, of what they’re owed). Family members do not then become responsible for the debt, as some people worry they might.

That’s the general idea, but things are not always that straightforward. The type of debt you have, where you live and the value of your estate significantly affects the complexity of the situation. For example, federal student loan debt is eligible for cancellation upon a borrower’s death, but private student loan companies tend not to offer the same benefit. They can go after the borrower’s estate for payment.

1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Who's to blame?
    SOMEOBODY had to have forced them to borrow money. Must be the government. Maybe we should ban borrowing money to solve the problem. Or maybe we can use tax revenues to pay off their loans for them.

Without home loans, the average balance was $12,875.

Who's to blame?
    I'd say the thieves who stole the value of the existing money.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Everything you need to know about our economy.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    The "economy" would not grow otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    The "economy" would not grow otherwise.
    Yup, but gains are purely perceptual only as the increase in quantity results from a decrease in the value.
    1776 > 1984

Those consumers carried an average total balance of $61,554
    So my mortgage debt, which felt crushing, is actually less than the US average. Good to know!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ours is, too. We have no other debt besides that.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

The mortgage is my only debt, too. Vehicles were paid off years ago, and I wouldn't borrow for anything else.

Stole is past tense, this crime of debasing our money appears to me to be ongoing.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

SOMEOBODY had to have forced them to borrow money. Must be the government. Maybe we should ban borrowing money to solve the problem. Or maybe we can use tax revenues to pay off their loans for them.
    So , really , 20K would pay off the avg debt and funeral expenses except the mortgage ? I only have one mortgage left that is not pd off and I have a life policy of enough to cover it because I have no real intention of paying it off very early , I just pay an extra 100 or so on the principal ea month.
    Do something Danke

i will be 80 in sept , have not owed a dime since 93 , i think the only thing that would break older people is health care , its the biggest cause of bankruptcy .

getting cars worked on at about $100/hr is crazy also .

Quote Originally Posted by ILUVRP View Post
    i will be 80 in sept , have not owed a dime since 93 , i think the only thing that would break older people is health care , its the biggest cause of bankruptcy .

I have several 80+ y/o clients and to a man they all work on their own cars....

They all whine about skint knuckles taking longer to heal but that doesn't stop 'em from tinkering...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I have several 80+ y/o clients and to a man they all work on their own cars....

They all whine about skint knuckles taking longer to heal but that doesn't stop 'em from tinkering...
    i have a 97 nissan 240sx , rwd , 24mpg city , 33 highway , i do all the work on it , being a ex gi ( 13 yrs ) and ex farmer you learn to work on everything, but many can't /

i have a 97 nissan 240sx , rwd , 24mpg city , 33 highway , i do all the work on it , being a ex gi ( 13 yrs ) and ex farmer you learn to work on everything, but many can't /
    My son (12) is learning to wrench on our '56...

I've told him he can have/drive it when he turns 16 but he's gotta keep it on the road...

My dad worked on his rigs, I work on mine, my kid's going to follow suit...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

My debt is almost 100% related to my son having a catastrophic accident with medical and subsequent legal expense. His father hasn't helped a dime. I had very little debt before that. It will take me another 4 years to get out of it. I didn't want to file bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by from article
    “Debt belongs to the deceased person or that person’s estate,” said Darra L. Rayndon, an estate planning attorney with Clark Hill in Scottsdale, Arizona.
    This attorney knows the secret that the "person" isn't the recently expired flesh and blood but rather the all capital letter name owned by the government corporation. A "person" is not a living entity. It is language referring to a corporation. Living flesh and blood can not enter into contracts with dead, paper entities such as corporations.

"Corporations are people." - Mitt Romney (the sheep gave him $#@! about that quote but he was telling the truth)

As living humans we are tricked into thinking the all capital letter name is us. It isn't. "Voluntary" slaves can not own property and therefore can not have an estate. The estate is property of the corporate government that created it. This is why all birth documents, death documents, probate, etc are created and settled through various government offices like the Secretary of State and the Courts. It is their property.
    Last edited by devil21; 06-24-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Interestingly that is close to the amount owed by every American citizen for the national debt: $61,348

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

f* these skynet cars
    >_<

Structure your estate properly and you can stick the lendor with the loss when you die.

Much of this stems from our corrosive monetary system:

” … we have in this Country one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board and the Federal Reserve Banks…. This evil institution has impoverished and ruined the people of the United States…. Some people think the Federal Reserve Banks are United States Government institutions. They are private credit monopolies which prey upon the people of the United States for the Benefit of themselves and their foreign customers. …” “The Federal Reserve (Banks) are one of the most corrupt institutions, the world has ever seen. There is not a man, within the sound of my voice, who does not know that this Nation is run by the International Bankers”. “Mr. Chairman, we have in this country one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board and the Federal Reserve Banks, hereinafter called the Fed. The Fed has cheated the Government of the United States and the people of the United States out of enough money to pay the Nation’s debt…. The wealth of these United States and the working capital have been taken away from them and has either been locked in the vaults of certain banks and the great corporations or exported to foreign countries for the benefit of foreign customers of these banks and corporations. So far as the people of the United States are concerned, the cupboard is bare.”

-- Congressman Louis T. Mcfadden and former Chairman of the Committee on Banking and Currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Marenco View Post
    Much of this stems from our corrosive monetary system:
    Why doesn't anybody issue a FOIA requests for the 1913 Federal Reserve Act and the related agreements?

Why doesn't anybody issue a FOIA requests for the 1913 Federal Reserve Act and the related agreements?
    No need. You can read the text online. Here you go:
    https://archive.org/stream/FederalRe...01913_djvu.txt

People use mortgages as a financial tool for retirement. Some take out a reverse mortgage to get money to live on now and the home is sold when they die. Me- I got my mortgage paid off to lower my cost of living expenses so I can afford to retire with less money (or live more comfortably with the same amount of money). Mortgage debt is not necessarily bad. Credit card debt on the other hand....

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interestingly that is close to the amount owed by every American citizen for the national debt: $61,348

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    That is only going to increase is my guess .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    That is only going to increase is my guess .
    Dead people saddled with debt, debt gets written off, profit!

Dead people saddled with debt, debt gets written off, profit!
    For the lender, it is a loss. Any profit went to the dead guy.

For the lender, it is a loss. Any profit went to the dead guy.
    My point was this is actually how we can discharge the national debt.

My point was this is actually how we can discharge the national debt.
    By having everybody we owe money to die? (a lot of that debt IS in retirement accounts).

It's also how the bankers are taking back the wealth earned by the populace during the boom years in the 20th century. The hellacious costs of senior care means no inheritances to pass on, which leads to masses of destitute young slaves from day one that only know poverty and relying on uncle sugar for their existence. Even the reverse mortgage was devised to eat all of the equity out of senior's homes before they die because medical costs and senior care costs are so outrageous.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast