Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Texas is becoming a major antivaccine battlefield

Thumbs up Why Texas is becoming a major antivaccine battlefield

Article is old, all attempts to infringe on vaccine freedom all failed this session.

Peter Hotez used to worry mostly about vaccines for children in far-away places. An infectious diseases researcher at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas, Hotez is developing shots against diseases in poorer countries such as hookworm and schistosomiasis.

But now, Hotez is anxious about children much closer to home. The number of schoolchildren not vaccinated against childhood diseases in Texas is growing rapidly, which means that the state may see its first measles outbreaks in the winter or spring of 2018, Hotez predicted in a recent article in PLOS Medicine. Disgraced antivaccine physician Andrew Wakefield has set up shop in the Texan capital, Austin, and a political action committee (PAC) is putting pressure on legislators facing a slew of vaccine-related bills.

"Texas is now the center of the antivaxxer movement,” Hotez says. “There is a big fight coming,” adds Anna Dragsbaek of The Immunization Partnership, a nonprofit organization in Houston that advocates for vaccinations.

Texas still has one of the highest vaccination rates for childhood diseases overall, 97.4%, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But the number of children not vaccinated because of their parents' “personal beliefs”—as opposed to medical reasons—has risen from 2300 in 2003, when such exemptions were introduced, to more than 44,000 so far this year, according to numbers prepared by The Immunization Partnership based on Texas Department of State Health Services data. The actual number may be much higher because an estimated 300,000 Texan children are schooled at home, says Susan Wootton, an infectious disease pediatrician at the University of Texas in Houston; though the law requires these kids to be immunized too, parents don't need to submit proof of vaccination.

Measles is an extremely contagious pathogen and often the first one to spread when vaccination rates dip below about 95%. The risk of outbreaks is even greater because unvaccinated children aren't randomly distributed. In Gaines county in western Texas, for instance, the exemption rate is already 4.8%, and at one school in Austin, it's 40%. "I would describe Texas as sitting on a ticking time bomb," Wootton says.

Not everyone is so gloomy. Some counties in Washington and Colorado have higher levels of exemptions, says immunologist Diane Griffin of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore, Maryland. “I don’t think that Texas is any worse than a number of other states, but pointing out the problem and the solution is important,” she wrote in an email.

But Hotez believes the situation in the Lone Star State is more perilous. One factor is the arrival of Wakefield, widely seen as the father of the modern antivaccine movement. Wakefield published a paper in The Lancet in 1998 that alleged a link between the MMR vaccine (which combines shots against measles, mumps, and rubella) and autism. Several large studies have failed to find the link, Wakefield's paper was retracted in 2010, and he was disbarred as a physician after the U.K. General Medical Council found him guilty of dishonesty and endangering children. Wakefield has appeared at screenings of his film Vaxxed, released in April, all over Texas and has testified at many city councils, Dragsbaek says. “He is definitely a major influencer.”

Meanwhile, a PAC named Texans for Vaccine Choice has sprung up after state Representative Jason Villalba, a Republican lawyer from Dallas, proposed scrapping nonmedical exemptions last year. (The bill was never voted on.) “While they do not have a whole lot of money, they have a lot of people that they can deploy to interfere in primary campaigns,” Dragsbaek says. “They made Villalba's primary campaign very, very difficult.” Rebecca Hardy, director of state policies at Texans for Vaccine Choice, says the group is not trying to convince parents that vaccines are dangerous, but fighting for their right not to immunize their children. (It's also helping them apply for exemptions.)

The Texas legislature is now pondering several bills that would help shore up vaccination. One would make it compulsory for parents to complete an online course before refusing vaccination; another would require them to discuss their decision with a doctor.
    http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/...ne-battlefield
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

AUSTIN — The group of 40 people gathered at a popular burger and fish taco restaurant in San Antonio listened eagerly to the latest news about the anti-vaccine fight taking place in the Texas legislature.

Some mothers in the group had stopped immunizing their young children because of doubts about vaccine safety. Heads nodded as the woman giving the statehouse update warned that vaccine advocates wanted to “chip away” at parents’ right to choose. But she also had encouraging news.

“We have 30 champions in that statehouse,” boasted Jackie Schlegel, executive director of Texans for Vaccine Choice. “Last session, we had two.”

Peter Hotez, director of the Texas Children’s Hospital Center for Vaccine Development, predicts that 2017 could be the year the anti-vaccination movement gains ascendancy in the United States. Texas could lead the way, he said, because some public schools are dangerously close to the threshold at which measles outbreaks can be expected. A third of students at some private schools are unvaccinated.

“We’re losing the battle,” Hotez said.

Although the anti-vaccine movement has been strong in other states, including California, Oregon, Washington and Colorado, experts say the effort in Texas is among the most organized and politically active.

“It’s a great example of an issue that has a targeted, small minority but an intense minority who are willing to mobilize and engage in direct action,”said Mark Jones, a political science professor at Rice University in Houston.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...fe5_story.html
    Last edited by William Tell; 06-21-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Go Texas GO!!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

At what point do parents' rights to raise their kids cross the line and become child endangerment? One parent thinks vaccines are dangerous and is willing to run the risk that the child comes down with measles, whooping cough, or some other disease. Another believes modern medicine is wrong and is willing to treat a child's [appendicitis] [compound fracture] [cancer] with [prayer] [voodoo practices] [St. John's Wort]. Another believes that it's perfectly OK to discipline a child by whipping its butt raw, chaining it to the wall of an unlit tool shed, and feeding it only bread and water for a week. How far does this go?
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    At what point do parents' rights to raise their kids cross the line and become child endangerment? One parent thinks vaccines are dangerous and is willing to run the risk that the child comes down with measles, whooping cough, or some other disease. Another believes modern medicine is wrong and is willing to treat a child's [appendicitis] [compound fracture] [cancer] with [prayer] [voodoo practices] [St. John's Wort]. Another believes that it's perfectly OK to discipline a child by whipping its butt raw, chaining it to the wall of an unlit tool shed, and feeding it only bread and water for a week. How far does this go?
    Children belong to the parents, not to the state.

So, you think the state should make medical decisions for people and their children so that parents don't beat their kids and lock them in a basement?

Should the state also tell people what to eat and drink?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Takes a village, eh Mrs Clinton? And what's with calling children "it".
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    So are you saying that under no circumstances should a parent be held accountable for injuries to or death of a child so long as he can say he was just exercising his parental rights?
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Takes a village, eh Mrs Clinton? And what's with calling children "it".
    No, I'm saying it's sometimes a very hard line to draw and that I don't think it's a good idea to allow parents to abuse their kids.
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

I had measles, rubella, chicken pox, and mumps. There was no vaccine when I had them. I'm not sure you can call natural illness the result of parental neglect.

Parents have the right to make medical decisions on behalf of minor children.
    Last edited by euphemia; 06-21-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Funny...a lot of people conveniently forgot about this during the Elian Gonzalez affair.
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

Funny...a lot of people conveniently forgot about this during the Elian Gonzalez affair.
    No, they didn't. Elian's mother died at sea. His father was not in the country at the time. What I don't agree is that Janet Reno should have sent an armed SWAT team to retrieve the boy when his father was located. If Cuba felt it was that important for the boy to be with family (which he was), they should have allowed his father to come to the US to get him.

But we are not talking about that. We are discussing vaccines in the 21st century and why Texas has chosen to codify parental rights in this case.
    Last edited by euphemia; 06-21-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

No, I'm saying it's sometimes a very hard line to draw and that I don't think it's a good idea to allow parents to abuse their kids.
    So you think not giving kids certain vaccines may be abuse? That's pretty radical. Even pro-vax folks admit that some kids have allergies that prevent them from being able to have some vaccines and medicine safely.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

So you think not giving kids certain vaccines may be abuse? That's pretty radical. Even pro-vax folks admit that some kids have allergies that prevent them from being able to have some vaccines and medicine safely.
    That is the truth. A lot of viruses are cultured in eggs. A child who is allergic to eggs cannot be vaccinated with cultures developed that way.
    Last edited by euphemia; 06-21-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

I think one of the problems of mandatory vaccines is that parents are no longer aware of the symptoms of various illnesses. I had chicken pox, so when our daughter got them, I knew to contact her summer camp and keep her away from other people until all the blisters scabbed over.
    Last edited by euphemia; 06-21-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So you think not giving kids certain vaccines may be abuse? That's pretty radical.
    Not really. It's a matter of degree, not of kind. It's one thing to say that a kid has allergies to a vaccine. It's quite another to base an objection on the unverified claims of a quack or some other crackpot notion. Yes, there's a difference between (a) refusing to let a child be vaxxed and running the risk he'll get measles or whooping cough, and (b) refusing conventional medical treatment for a child with treatable cancer and relying instead on prayer or voodoo rites (I am not equating these two alternative treatments, btw). Maybe the unvaxxed kid won't get measles or if he does, maybe he won't infect anyone else. Maybe the kid with cancer will undergo spontaneous remission, even though every doctor who's seen him says he'll die without conventional treatment. My only point is that parents shouldn't have carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want to regarding their kids, and I'd be surprised if most people on this forum wouldn't agree. But so far, that's seems to be the only response I've received: "The kid belongs to the parents, and who is the government or anyone else to ever question a parent's decision?"
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

I didn't.

But to be honest, Elian was returned to his father after his mother "endangered" him by fleeing Cuba in raft.

Not really. It's a matter of degree, not of kind. It's one thing to say that a kid has allergies to a vaccine. It's quite another to base an objection on the unverified claims of a quack or some other crackpot notion. Yes, there's a difference between (a) refusing to let a child be vaxxed and running the risk he'll get measles or whooping cough, and (b) refusing conventional medical treatment for a child with treatable cancer and relying instead on prayer or voodoo rites (I am not equating these two alternative treatments, btw). Maybe the unvaxxed kid won't get measles or if he does, maybe he won't infect anyone else. Maybe the kid with cancer will undergo spontaneous remission, even though every doctor who's seen him says he'll die without conventional treatment. My only point is that parents shouldn't have carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want to regarding their kids, and I'd be surprised if most people on this forum wouldn't agree. But so far, that's seems to be the only response I've received: "The kid belongs to the parents, and who is the government or anyone else to ever question a parent's decision?"
    It's really quite simple: once you grant the premise that government can decide, and administer at gunpoint, medication that it deems "non quackery", then nothing is off the table.

You become, as a parent, nothing more than what all of us are in every other aspect of our life: squatters and serfs, because you, in reality, own or have full responsibility for nothing.

With freedom, comes risks, and sometimes freedom means being free to make dumb choices.

If you're not willing to shine that on, as tough as it may be, then you're not really ready for freedom.

Not really. It's a matter of degree, not of kind. It's one thing to say that a kid has allergies to a vaccine. It's quite another to base an objection on the unverified claims of a quack or some other crackpot notion.
    Look, it's up to parents to decide what is best for the kid. If a mother has two children, as is often the case, and the first one had a sever reaction to vaccines, she likely isn't going to give the second one shots. Using the government to inject the family by force is assault, abuse, and if the worst happens, murder. That's what we'd call it if anyone besides the government did it.

We all make choices and take risks, forcing people to do things just adds all kinds of new risks. No one in their right mind gets between a mama bear and her cubs.

Yes, there's a difference between (a) refusing to let a child be vaxxed and running the risk he'll get measles or whooping cough, and (b) refusing conventional medical treatment for a child with treatable cancer and relying instead on prayer or voodoo rites (I am not equating these two alternative treatments, btw). Maybe the unvaxxed kid won't get measles or if he does, maybe he won't infect anyone else. Maybe the kid with cancer will undergo spontaneous remission, even though every doctor who's seen him says he'll die without conventional treatment. My only point is that parents shouldn't have carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want to regarding their kids, and I'd be surprised if most people on this forum wouldn't agree. But so far, that's seems to be the only response I've received: "The kid belongs to the parents, and who is the government or anyone else to ever question a parent's decision?"
    Well, you've made your point that you don't think parents should have total control. So the question is what control do you think the government should have? Should we have mandatory yearly checkups, weekly social worker visits maybe? Or something more specific to a problem, like banning parents from having a say in cancer treatments?

On average no one cares more about, or knows more about a child than his parents. Parents should call the shots, they aren't perfect but usually they are the closest to perfect when it comes to making decisions for their children.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I had all the childhood diseases except whooping cough. I did not have polio, although some friends did.

People act like vaccinations are the be-all and end-all. They are not. Immunity is not permanent.
    #NashvilleStrong

Screw family and relatives and to a lesser extent, local communities, looking out for the welfare of their minors, the UN should be the decider.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

So the question is what control do you think the government should have?
    That was my question in the OP. So far no one's really answered, although there are strong suggestions that most folks think the answer is "None", regardless of how abusive the parent's behavior is.
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

That was my question in the OP. So far no one's really answered, although there are strong suggestions that most folks think the answer is "None", regardless of how abusive the parent's behavior is.
    This thread is about vaccine choice not abuse. Parents should have control over the vaccines their kids get. I think pretty much everyone on this site holds that position. Or do you disagree?
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So far, you are the only one suggesting that parents who don't want their kids vaccinated are abusive. Parents are given information about the risks when they consider vaccination. If they read the info and decide not to take the risk, how is that abusive?

The reason so many vaccinations are pushed at such early ages is because day care and so-called early childhood education brings lots of kids together before their immune systems have had a chance to mature naturally. It makes vaccination look like the so-called sensible option. If a parent lives 50 miles from nowhere, what kind of risk do those children have for contracting whooping cough? Almost none. Why should there be any risk the child will be left with permanent problems because of a vaccination? Why should the decision not wait until the child has a choice?

For the record, we did vaccinate, but it was not the same ball game back then. Doses were small and spaced out, and they did not start practically at birth.
    Last edited by euphemia; 06-21-2017 at 09:22 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

So are you saying that under no circumstances should a parent be held accountable for injuries to or death of a child so long as he can say he was just exercising his parental rights?
    Who is held accountable when a child is injured by vaccine? Many parents feel like it is their fault when they let the medical industrial complex vaccinate their child and they are injured because they did not take the time to learn about what could happen to their child. You should know that big pharma is exempt from liability and that it is very difficult to get help if your child is injured by vaccine. There is a special court designed to hear cases of vaccine injury but even still the government makes a case very hard to prove even if the child died the day of the vaccine.

Nice deflection.
    "The Patriarch"

Look, it's up to parents to decide what is best for the kid. If a mother has two children, as is often the case, and the first one had a sever reaction to vaccines, she likely isn't going to give the second one shots. Using the government to inject the family by force is assault, abuse, and if the worst happens, murder. That's what we'd call it if anyone besides the government did it.

We all make choices and take risks, forcing people to do things just adds all kinds of new risks. No one in their right mind gets between a mama bear and her cubs.

Well, you've made your point that you don't think parents should have total control. So the question is what control do you think the government should have? Should we have mandatory yearly checkups, weekly social worker visits maybe? Or something more specific to a problem, like banning parents from having a say in cancer treatments?

On average no one cares more about, or knows more about a child than his parents. Parents should call the shots, they aren't perfect but usually they are the closest to perfect when it comes to making decisions for their children.
    Out of rep
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    So far, you are the only one suggesting that parents who don't want their kids vaccinated are abusive. Parents are given information about the risks when they consider vaccination. If they read the info and decide not to take the risk, how is that abusive?

The reason so many vaccinations are pushed at such early ages is because day care and so-called early childhood education brings lots of kids together before their immune systems have had a chance to mature naturally. It makes vaccination look like the so-called sensible option. If a parent lives 50 miles from nowhere, what kind of risk do those children have for contracting whooping cough? Almost none. Why should there be any risk the child will be left with permanent problems because of a vaccination? Why should the decision not wait until the child has a choice?

For the record, we did vaccinate, but it was not the same ball game back then. Doses were small and spaced out, and they did not start practically at birth.
    Excellent point. The regimes are too soon and too intense these days and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see they are problematic at best.
    "The Patriarch"

Also it's possible to allow some vaccines for your child, and refuse others which are less helpful or more problematic.

A lot of this goes to the problem of ignorance, stupidity, complexity of the modern world, and trust of government.

The statist argument is that we gain immensely by having experts in a field decide for us what kinds of treatments or products are safe or beneficial, since they are experts in their field. Joe six-pack will never approach 1/1000th of their knowledge.

The anti-statist argument is well - ya can't trust the State..
    >_<

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast