Thread: US Senators Want Congress, Not White House, to OK Military Action in Middle East

US Senators Want Congress, Not White House, to OK Military Action in Middle East

US Senators Want Congress, Not White House, to OK Military Action in Middle East
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN19B2MM

Published on Jun 20, 2017
    Democratic Senator Tom Udall voted for the 2001 Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF)
    while he was a member of the House of Representatives.

"I would have never imagined that [2001] vote [NOW] supporting U.S. troops in Syria in 2017 and engagements with the Assad regime,"

On Tuesday, US senators called on Congress to take back its authority
    to determine whether the country goes to war,
    claiming that the recent US strikes in Syria were not covered by existing authorizations for the use of military force.

The Senate Foreign Relations Committee has already begun considering legislation
    that would cover military action against the Islamic State, al Qaeda and other Islamist militant groups
    in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, Libya and Yemen.

The committee's chairman, Republican Senator Bob Corker, said,
    "I have always believed that it's important for Congress to exercise its constitutional role to authorize the use of force."

As President Trump has ordered increased military activity in Syria, Afghanistan and elsewhere,
    members of Congress are also pushing for Trump to present his strategy for defeating Islamic State and other militant groups

gee. what R they afraid of??? hahaha..

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, and where were these "upstanding" senators on the Russia and Iran sanctions vote?
    That's right they voted to provoke Russia and Iran into war.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

On a more serious note (asking the obvious question: Why Now?)

Do THEY know something WE don't???

zerohedge‏
    Trump's Ominous Tweet: "China's Help With North Korea Has Not Worked Out. At Least It Tried"

Gregor Peter
    TRUMP TWEETS CHINA EFFORTS ON NORTH KOREA HAVE NOT WORKED OUT

========

speaking of 'rumors'...

High level rumors Justice Kennedy will retire next week.
    Last edited by goldenequity; 06-20-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Gotta love it... Porky's at the White House!

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    On a more serious note (asking the obvious question: Why Now?)

Do THEY know something WE don't???

zerohedge‏
    Trump's Ominous Tweet: "China's Help With North Korea Has Not Worked Out. At Least It Tried"

Gregor Peter
    TRUMP TWEETS CHINA EFFORTS ON NORTH KOREA HAVE NOT WORKED OUT
    CNN (2 hrs ago)
    Spy satellites detect new activity at DPRK nuclear test site.

Mil cmdrs HAVE updated options for Potus no indication he will order action.

Otto Warmbiers parents reject autopsy of their son.

CNN "analysts" spouting about murder and retaliatory warfare.

???

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Oh, and where were these "upstanding" senators on the Russia and Iran sanctions vote?
    That's right they voted to provoke Russia and Iran into war.
    The majority of Congress would authorize any military action, if their masters tell them to.

They just like to not be on record. Voters might notice.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The majority of Congress would authorize any military action, if their masters tell them to.

They just like to not be on record. Voters might notice.
    That'd be a shame.

Not really. Not enough "voters" give a $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    That'd be a shame.

Not really. Not enough "voters" give a $#@!.
    Yeah, the end result would be the same either way. Congress would authorize anything.

So in reality, this is an issue of rule of law and due process. Obviously very few support those concepts. The Constitution is toilet paper to them. Something that is only useful when they need it to cover their ass. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah, the end result would be the same either way. Congress would authorize anything.

So in reality, this is an issue of rule of law and due process. Obviously very few support those concepts. The Constitution is toilet paper to them. Something that is only useful when they need it to cover their ass. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal.
    I thought in 2007 I had the answer if Ron Paul could have just used the bully pulpit.

I no longer have any answers except $#@! your Federal taxation and stay the hell off my lawn.

Trump doesn't have the power anymore either.

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...ghanistan-iraq

Trump: I'm giving the military 'total authorization'

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Thursday called the recent high-profile military actions overseas proof that he’s fulfilling his promise to let defense leaders act decisively without interference from politicians.

“What I do is I authorize my military,” in response to a press question about the use of a massive bomb in an assault on Islamic State group positions in Afghanistan. “We have the greatest military in the world, and they’ve done the job, as usual. We have given them total authorization, and that’s what they’re doing.

“Frankly, that’s why they’ve been so successful lately. If you look at what’s happened over the last eight weeks and compare that really to what has happened over the last eight years, you’ll see there is a tremendous difference.”
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7628561.html

Donald Trump gives CIA power to carry out its own drone strikes

The CIA can now kill potential terror suspects with drone strikes after being granted new powers by President Donald Trump, according to a new report.

The new authority – said to have been granted shortly after Mr Trump’s inauguration – takes drone strikes out of the sole control of the military, sparking fears about accountability.

Under the drone policy of the Obama administration, the CIA could find a suspect, but the armed forces would carry out the actual strike.

Unlike the Pentagon, the CIA does not need to disclose drone strikes — or any resulting civilian casualties.