Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil isn't healthy. It's never been healthy.

Coconut oil isn't healthy. It's never been healthy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...thy/402719001/

The Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease advisory reviewed existing data on saturated fat, showing coconut oil increased LDL ("bad") cholesterol in seven out of seven controlled trials. Researchers didn't see a difference between coconut oil and other oils high in saturated fat, like butter, beef fat and palm oil. In fact, 82% of the fat in coconut oil is saturated, according to the data — far beyond butter (63%), beef fat (50%) and pork lard (39%).

"Because coconut oil increases LDL cholesterol, a cause of CVD [cardiovascular disease], and has no known offsetting favorable effects, we advise against the use of coconut oil," the American Heart Association said in the Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease advisory.

Frank Sacks, lead author on the report, said he has no idea why people think coconut oil is healthy. It's almost 100% fat

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    coconut oil can still be an effective moisturizer or hair conditioner

But saturated fats are less likely to be oxidized than unsaturated fats which means that your body has encounter with DNA damaging free radicals. I stick with saturated fats cos my cholesterol is within normal and I have no history of heart failure in my family even though we used palm oil in just about every thing we cooked. So in the mean time, I will keep my eye on my cholesterol and do everything I can to minimize damage to my DNA .

Whatever is bad for you today will be good for you tomorrow and visa versa. I remember reading that cholesterol does not cause heart disease.

Yeah the pHARMa lobbyist were getting concerned that people were getting healthy. Such deception.

Please Calm Down: Coconut Oil Is Fine

Ryan F. Mandelbaum

Who doesn’t love logging on to the good old ‘net on a Friday morning to the headline “Coconut oil ‘as unhealthy as beef fat and butter.’” It’s got everything. Ah, you might think, my favorite health product is as bad as butter! Or you might even say to yourself, those coconut oil-huffing liberals are really getting what’s coming to them!

No.

This round of panicked news isn’t coming from new data. Instead, the American Heart Association has reviewed the existing data, again reiterating that saturated fats are bad. Coconut oil has been recently touted as a healthier oil, and also the butt of a health nut-bashing meme going around, “If you stir coconut oil into your kale, it makes it easier to scrape into the trash.” To all of this I say: Coconut oil isn’t a health food and it isn’t junk food, it’s just another food. Calm down.

The AHA released a review yesterday because “meta-analyses of observational studies and randomized clinical trials have come to discordant conclusions about the relationship between dietary saturated fat and risk of [cardiovascular disease],” they write, “creating confusion.”

The review is fine. It’s free, easy to read, and you should check it out. The news coverage is not fine and has added to the confusion.

So let’s break it down: Fats are actually a slew of different molecules, stacked in three prongs. Unsaturated fat molecules’ prongs are curly from the presence of a double bond, so they’re liquid at room temperature. Saturated fats’ prongs are straight, so they stack into solids. Trans fats have the double bond but have been straightened (and form solids) through a process called hydrogenation.

The fats you eat like butter, coconut oil, and olive oil are actually a mixture of different fat molecules, both saturated and unsaturated. Coconut oil has lots of saturated fat molecules, but its melting point is just above room temperature.

The AHA looked through lots of scientific studies from people who replaced saturated fat with other things in their diet. The main confusion, they say, comes from the fact that studies replacing saturated fats with carbohydrates saw fewer benefits. Those studies that replaced saturated fats with unsaturated fats found a somewhat lowered cardiovascular disease risk. After all of this work, I think they’ve done a convincing job showing that replacing saturated fats with unsaturated fats can have a benefit for reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.

They don’t say whether eating more saturated fats will increase your risk, though.

I’m here to talk about coconut oil. Only a handful of studies in the AHA report deal with coconut oil specifically. The large-scale trials don’t detail what kind of saturated fats folks were eating, but I have a hunch that coconut oil wasn’t Finnish hospital patients’ main source of saturated fat—they were probably eating more meat and butter. The coconut oil studies that the AHA does cite show that it raises both HDL (what people call “good”) cholesterol and LDL (what people call “bad” cholesterol).

The studies don’t link eating more coconut oil to heart disease—they link it to a changing cholesterol metric. A metric that, if you look for it, has lots of conflicting data as to how it makes things worse and how badly (may I point you to Gary Taubes’ Good Calories, Bad Calories).

So, coconut oil is fine. It’s not fantastic. It’s not horrible. It’s just a source of saturated fat probably not as bad as butter. Which we also don’t think is that bad.

The AHA’s conclusions are that you shouldn’t try to lower your total fat intake, but instead, replace saturated fat with unsaturated fat, combined with a healthier lifestyle.

But this is what everyone has been saying all along, because the ultimate message is to basically just eat less meat and dessert, eat more vegetables, and don’t overdo it with the coconut oil.
    http://gizmodo.com/please-calm-down-...ine-1796163542

Abstracts from Peer Reviewed Literature on Coconut Oil and Derivatives
    http://coconutoil.com/peer_reviewed/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Researchers didn't see a difference between coconut oil and other oils high in saturated fat, like butter, beef fat and palm oil. In fact, 82% of the fat in coconut oil is saturated, according to the data — far beyond butter (63%), beef fat (50%)
    Woah, so coconut oil has even more of the good stuff than butter which is of course awesome? Guess I need more coconut oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Woah, so coconut oil has even more of the good stuff than butter which is of course awesome? Guess I need more coconut oil!
    But does it have electrolytes?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Yeah the pHARMa lobbyist were getting concerned that people were getting healthy. Such deception.

http://gizmodo.com/please-calm-down-...ine-1796163542

Abstracts from Peer Reviewed Literature on Coconut Oil and Derivatives
    http://coconutoil.com/peer_reviewed/
    Article doesn't say it is healthier than other fats. Moderation in everything. And exercise.

Coconut oil isn’t a health food and it isn’t junk food,
    The AHA’s conclusions are that you shouldn’t try to lower your total fat intake, but instead, replace saturated fat with unsaturated fat, combined with a healthier lifestyle.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-18-2017 at 12:06 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The anti-health lobby is lying and the media is helping them. Sad.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    The anti-health lobby is lying and the media is helping them. Sad.

We have one who can see.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

We have one who can see.
    Can we get rid of him? What? There is more? How many? What do we do? Let's just pretend they do not exist.

The cholesterol subject is a lot more complicated than they make it out to be in the article, sorry.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...-test-results/

Coconut oil is fantastic.

Try eating more cococonut oil (and less carbs) and see what it does to your blood triglycerides (they will plummet)
    Last edited by dannno; 06-18-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

If I remember correctly wasn't the medical community puzzled for a time because the Pacific Islanders who eat large quantities of coconut oil don't have high incidence of heart disease?

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    If I remember correctly wasn't the medical community puzzled for a time because the Pacific Islanders who eat large quantities of coconut oil don't have high incidence of heart disease?
    But muh national vegetable oil association studies..
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Cholesterol is a lot more complicated than that, sorry.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...-test-results/

Coconut oil is fantastic.

Try eating more cococonut oil (and less carbs) and see what it does to your blood triglycerides (they will plummet)
    That is exactly what happened to my mother. The doctor asked her if she was taking the cholesterol medicine she prescribed for her and she told the doctor, "NO!." The doctor asked how can her blood triglycerides numbers be in great standing without taking the medication and my mother told her, "Organic cold pressed Coconut oil daily." The doctor shook her head in disbelief, nevertheless.

They do eat more vegetables than the average American. But still:
    http://www.world-heart-federation.or...cific-islands/

The prevalence of rheumatic heart disease (RHD) in the Pacific Islands is one of the highest in the world. Because they are isolated and few have the capacity to provide heart valve surgery domestically, most Pacific Islands countries spend between 4-12% of their total health budgets sending RHD patients abroad for life-saving heart valve surgery.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Were grains being imported to these Pacific Islanders that were being studied?

Rhuematic heart disease is caused by untreated scarlet fever and is rare...

Rheumatic heart disease (RHD) is the most common acquired heart disease in children in many countries of the world, especially in developing countries. The global burden of disease caused by rheumatic fever currently falls disproportionately on children living in the developing world, especially where poverty is widespread.

Hmm

Might have also been lower than expected cholesterol?? Can't remember where I saw it.
    Last edited by The Northbreather; 06-18-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Were grains being imported to these Pacific Islanders that were being studied?

LOL! Why didn't you ask that when you were under the misguided assumption their lifespans were longer?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3992185.html

Native Hawaiians Have Lower Life Expectancy Than State Average, New Study Says

Life expectancy for Native Hawaiians is 6.2 years lower than the state average, though life expectancy has increased by nearly 12 years since 1950.

Therein lies the “good news, bad news” of a new study published Tuesday.

While much progress has been made to improve the health and quality of life of Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders living in Hawaii, their lives are still shorter than whites and Asians. The “big three” killers are diabetes, obesity and heart disease.

The reasons are multiple, including lower income levels and lack of access to services.

But there’s more good news in the study, published by the John A. Burns School of Medicine: The cultural values and practices that sustained Hawaiians for centuries are key to their continued recovery, including the “healing power” of hula, as one health expert put it, cultural education through charter schools and growing food in a back yard or school garden.

“We are returning to the things we know work well, things our ancestors knew but we have lost,” said Dr. Joseph Keaweaimoku Kaholokula, chairman of the Department of Native Hawaiian Health at the UH medical school.

The study’s many authors want to capitalize on what they say has been tremendous progress in treating Hawaiians, Samoans, Tongans, Chamorro, Micronesians and Filipinos.

While the existence described for Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders is anything but healthy, the study shows promising signs of change:

• The infant mortality rate for Hawaiians and Filipinos have shown “clear improvement” over the past 25 years.
    • Over the past decade, Hawaiians have reported greater participation in diabetes self-management activities.
    • The number of Hawaiians enrolled in community colleges jumped 53 percent between 1992 and 2010.
    • Traditional values have helped many in the Hawaiian community cope with and overcome health challenges.

If I had to eat one everyday I'm going with coconut oil over Spam..

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Whatever is bad for you today will be good for you tomorrow and visa versa. I remember reading that cholesterol does not cause heart disease.
    Every $#@!ing bit of this.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    LOL! Why didn't you ask that when you were under the misguided assumption their lifespans were longer?
    You do understand that rheumatic heart disease is caused by rheumatic fever, and not fats -- saturated or unsaturated -- right? Oils and fats of any kind are simply not relevant to rheumatic heart disease in any way. The disease is caused by the damage from a viral infection.

If I had to eat one everyday I'm going with coconut oil over Spam..
    Spam is a thing in Hawaii today. They first got it from the soldiers stationed there in WWII and turned it into a local dish. A restaurant there called Zippy's makes a dish called the Zip Pac, with fish, chicken, beef and spam:

Spam musubis:

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is one way coconuts and all its components are definitely dangerous to you and your family. Just imagine that this man could have easily died at 30s ish and that there would have reduced the life expectancy on Malaysia by .000001 and then we would have Zippy lecturing us about coconut oil using countries have a lower life expectancy

although using coconut oil may have a few health benefits, none of the claims have been properly researched or proven yet. Better know the pros and cons of coconut oil https://www.choice.com.au/food-and-d...ut-oil-healthy

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFredom View Post
    You do understand that rheumatic heart disease is caused by rheumatic fever, and not fats -- saturated or unsaturated -- right? Oils and fats of any kind are simply not relevant to rheumatic heart disease in any way. The disease is caused by the damage from a viral infection.
    I just wonder why Dannno didn't point that out instead of fabricating a theory about why his theory wasn't panning out?

If you are going to get at least half naked , oil yourself up by the fire in the moonlight I guess coconut oil will work if you are out of bear grease.
    Do something Danke

More fake news from Zippy.

More neg rep for him.

He really should go away.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Spam is a thing in Hawaii today. They first got it from the soldiers stationed there in WWII and turned it into a local dish. A restaurant there called Zippy's makes a dish called the Zip Pac, with fish, chicken, beef and spam:]
    If our Zippy had a restaurant, every meal would be a shat entree with a side of shat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast