Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon To Buy Whole Foods Market For $13.7 Billion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Amazon To Buy Whole Foods Market For $13.7 Billion

https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/0...or-137-billion

Amazon said Friday it would buy Whole Foods Market for $13.7 billion as the giant internet retailer makes a deeper push into the grocery space. From a report:

Amazon has dabbled in brick-and-mortar operations, experimenting with a bookstore that opened in New York last month and plans to open "no-checkout" convenience stores. But the Whole Foods acquisition represents a dramatic departure from its early business model founded on online retailing and related technology. Grocery retail is a notoriously thin-profit-margin business. And Whole Foods -- often derided as "Whole Paycheck" -- has struggled in recent years to keep up with emerging competitors that are expanding nationwide with cheaper items. Traditional grocery stores have also widened their organic food selections in hopes of retaining customers who are increasingly looking to eat healthily.
    But that is only HALF of the story:

Amazon Granted a Patent That Prevents In-Store Shoppers From Online Price Checking
    https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/06...price-checking

Amazon's long been a go-to for people to online price compare while shopping at brick-and-mortars. Now, a new patent granted to the company could prevent people from doing just that inside Amazon's own stores. The patent, titled "Physical Store Online Shopping Control," details a mechanism where a retailer can intercept network requests like URLs and search terms that happen on its in-store Wi-Fi, then act upon them in various ways. The document details in great length how a retailer like Amazon would use this information to its benefit. If, for example, the retailer sees you're trying to access a competitor's website to price check an item, it could compare the requested content to what's offered in-store and then send price comparison information or a coupon to your browser instead. Or it could suggest a complementary item, or even block content outright. Amazon's patent also lets the retailer know your physical whereabouts, saying, "the location may be triangulated utilizing information received from a multitude of wireless access points." The retailer can then use this information to try and upsell you on items in your immediate area or direct a sales representative to your location.
    I guess Whole Paycheck will continue to have very high prices?

---

Edit: Added relevant story

Amazon Says It Won't Replace Whole Foods Cashiers With Computers... Yet
    https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/...-computers-yet

Amazon said it has no current plans to automate the jobs of cashiers in Whole Foods stores after it finishes acquiring the grocery chain. It also isn't planning any layoffs, according to a spokesperson. There is some speculation, however, that Amazon may change its plans and use new technology inside of Whole Foods locations.

Commenting on Amazon's announcement from earlier today, LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner said, "Only one company on earth can buy grocery chain, be rumored to buy enterprise software company & in both cases be lauded for strategic vision."
    Last edited by DamianTV; 06-18-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post

Not with a Whole Foods Prime membership.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrp12 View Post
    Not with a Whole Foods Prime membership.
    LMAO... +rep
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Amazon Granted a Patent That Prevents In-Store Shoppers From Online Price Checking

This does not bode well for the future.

Amazon already has fully automated grocery stores in testing phase, no employees necessary. I wonder what they will turn Whole Foods into....
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    This does not bode well for the future.

Amazon already has fully automated grocery stores in testing phase, no employees necessary. I wonder what they will turn Whole Foods into....
    No employees? Really? Are you sure it isn't just fewer?

What's wrong with a grocery store that has fewer employees?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

Their plan would only work in rich neighborhoods with high levels of people with smart phones and their app. (put something back in the wrong place and it probably charges you).

Their plan would only work in rich neighborhoods with high levels of people with smart phones and their app. (put something back in the wrong place and it probably charges you).
    On what planet is it only people in rich neighborhoods that have high levels of people with smart phones
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

One of the CNBC options analysts (around 1pm ET) exposed blatant insider trading around this acquisition today on television!

--------------------------

Pumping a barely-profitable company full of Fed funny money through the debt markets so it can buy up whatever it wants? What possibly could go wrong?

Last edited by devil21; 06-16-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On what planet is it only people in rich neighborhoods that have high levels of people with smart phones
    In the midwest big cites , I bet the welfare apt buildings have more smart phones than the blue collar factory worker neighbor hood .
    Do something Danke

everybody who cares to buy quality food has a smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post

You're still here? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I eat only the finest quality and I do not have a smart phone .
    Do something Danke

**WATCH THIS**
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtBa9yVZBJM

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    So, fewer employees.

So, fewer employees.
    Checkout counter person becomes the order builder. No reason for you to walk up and down isles. Please drive thru.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

muh jobs!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Amazon bought IMDb and now there are no messageboards. I guess it was harder to sell ads for a movie when real people were complaining that it was crap.

I hope John Mackey made out well. I like him.

Interesting news.
    Especially considering this news that came out just 2 days ago
    http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...trying-to.html

excerpts:
    In mid-April Whole Foods Market Inc.'s John Mackey was getting off the plane in New York City to speak at a Goldman Sachs Group Inc. event when he was bombarded with text message alerting him to the sizable stake activist hedge fund Jana Partners LLC had acquired in his company— and its push to shake up its operations or consider a sale.
    --
    Other quick takeaways from the extensive story:
    ▪Mackey and his public relations team pulled out of multiple media engagements after Jana disclosed its stake, including with CBS This Morning. He was just about to embark on a nationwide promotional tour for his latest book, "The Whole Foods Diet." Mackey thinks the timing was intentional: "They hijacked my book tour," he told Texas Monthly. "It’s not that I think that they were trying to harm the book tour. It’s just like, ‘Okay, the CEO is going to be distracted. He’s not going to be able to give full attention to this.’"
    ▪Mackey thinks there's widespread distrust with how many big corporations operate: "It’s the idea that business is about a bunch of greedy bastards running around exploiting people, screwing their customers, taking advantage of their employees, dumping their toxic waste in the environment, acting like sociopaths."
    ▪Mackey didn't directly answer Texas Monthly's Tom Foster when he asked if Whole Foods is considering going private. Foster contrasts the company's fortune with that of tech giant Dell, which Michael Dell took private in 2013 after a protracted battle with activist investor Carl Icahn. In any case, analysts don't put much stock into the idea of a private buyout.
    So he was forced into this, I wonder if he did it just spite the plans the jana partners. Plus he gets to stay in control as CEO of WF this way.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Interesting news.

excerpts:

So he was forced into this, I wonder if he did it just spite the plans the jana partners. Plus he gets to stay in control as CEO of WF this way.
    Sounds like i nailed it: http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...nt-down-2017-7

And that's why I use a VPN. Can't manipulate traffic they don't understand. Ridiculous.

Or, just use your carrier's data network. That makes me feel a little better I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 106459 View Post
    And that's why I use a VPN. Can't manipulate traffic they don't understand. Ridiculous.

Or, just use your carrier's data network. That makes me feel a little better I guess.
    The trouble is the majority of people have as much technical knowledge as a one legged man has wins in ass kicking contests. People just do what they are told, buy what they are told to buy, and pay what they are told to pay. Most people do not offer any resistance to monopolistic practices if mega corporations, which is how our fascist state came to be. People are taught to be dumb and buy into the illusion of choice. People like you and me who know how to use VPNs and other more involved networking are the thinkers, which is one of the reasons we are both on Ron Paul Forums. We dont buy into the illusion of choice. But we are outnumbered, hundreds if not thousands to one.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by 106459 View Post

Yeah, the younger generation knows about VPNs.

I have never been able to get an in-store Wi-Fi to work, and have found my carrier's signal weak or non-existent. Always figured it was intentional...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Bezos' is like Pacman, he is gobbling up all good companies to get his corporate empire.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Bezos' is like Pacman, he is gobbling up all good companies to get his corporate empire.
    M&A drives the large companies and allows them to create the illusion of growth.

One has to question an economy (and stock market) that is nothing more than debt and M&A.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Amazon is going to finance the deal entirely on debt. Must be nice to just be handed nearly $14B to buy another company at a huge premium.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...wngrade-amazon
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

The trouble is the majority of people have as much technical knowledge as a one legged man has wins in ass kicking contests. People just do what they are told, buy what they are told to buy, and pay what they are told to pay. Most people do not offer any resistance to monopolistic practices if mega corporations, which is how our fascist state came to be. People are taught to be dumb and buy into the illusion of choice. People like you and me who know how to use VPNs and other more involved networking are the thinkers, which is one of the reasons we are both on Ron Paul Forums. We dont buy into the illusion of choice. But we are outnumbered, hundreds if not thousands to one.
    You're a special little snowflake, aren't you?

Overall, I like Amazon's push to automate. The ability to get Whole Foods delivered is a good idea (unimpressed with Amazon fresh)

The concern for me...a year ago Amazon said that each prime member costs $384/year... that's nearly $300 more than they charge. I worry about the day where local shops are gutted and my prime bill for $1000 comes in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No. View Post
    You're a special little snowflake, aren't you?

Overall, I like Amazon's push to automate. The ability to get Whole Foods delivered is a good idea (unimpressed with Amazon fresh)

The concern for me...a year ago Amazon said that each prime member costs $384/year... that's nearly $300 more than they charge. I worry about the day where local shops are gutted and my prime bill for $1000 comes in the mail.
    I'm more concerned that Amazon is going to offer discounted prime membership to people already getting govt handouts. So I have to pay taxes to feed these people AND now I have to pay more to get the same service? Its just about enough to make one cancel their membership.

I'm more concerned that Amazon is going to offer discounted prime membership to people already getting govt handouts. So I have to pay taxes to feed these people AND now I have to pay more to get the same service? Its just about enough to make one cancel their membership.
    I stopped buying from them when they started shutting small sellers out of certain areas and brands. (CDs, DVDs, Toys, plus a lengthy list of popular name brands.) But the only time people care about small businesses is when they're competing against WalMart.

Interesting news.

excerpts:

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    One of the CNBC options analysts (around 1pm ET) exposed blatant insider trading around this acquisition today on television!

--------------------------

Pumping a barely-profitable company full of Fed funny money through the debt markets so it can buy up whatever it wants? What possibly could go wrong?
    Wish I had bought some Whole Foods stock before this went down. I can see how there was plenty of room for insider trading on this.

Debt and M&A is not real economic growth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast