Thread: Trump expected to tighten travel restrictions in rollback of Obama's Cuba policy

Trump expected to tighten travel restrictions in rollback of Obama's Cuba policy

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tr...rticle/2625865

Has 50 years of sanctions had any effect on Cuban behavior?

President Trump is expected to tighten U.S. travel restrictions when he announces a rollback of some of former President Barack Obama's Cuba policies during a speech in Miami on Friday.

The White House will only say an announcement on his Cuba policy is coming soon, following a review on the issue by the National Security Council. But a person with knowledge of the plans says a document came out of the NSC on Friday outlining the proposals. A venue in Miami has reportedly been picked for the president's announcement.

"The devil will be in the details," the person said. "They're just announcing the new policy. But then after this, the agencies will actually get to write the regulations, make the changes."

Trump is expected to use tough rhetoric against the Cuban government in calling for tightening rules for U.S. travel to the country. He is also expected to call for blocking commerce with entities that benefit the Cuban military.

"We anticipate an announcement in the near future," said White House spokesman Michael Short, who noted how the president has referred to the current Cuba policy as "a bad deal."

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Tuesday the proposal is still undergoing an interagency review process. Asked about the forthcoming announcement, he said the general approach is to "allow as much of this continued commercial and engagement activity to go on as possible."

"But on the other hand, we think we have achieved very little in terms of changing the behavior of the regime in Cuba and its treatment of people," Tillerson said. "And it has little incentive today to change that and, in fact, our concern is they may be one of the biggest beneficiaries of all of this."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Zippy working overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Zippy working overtime.

His entire office is working overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I am so tired of stories speculating about what someone might do or something that might happen.

Here's an idea... how about we discuss something that is actually happening and then we call Trump a douche for deciding where I am allowed to travel in my life.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I am so tired of stories speculating about what someone might do or something that might happen.

Here's an idea... how about we discuss something that is actually happening....

If that happened, then ZippyJuan would be out of a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Last year, I promised to be a voice against repression in our region -- remember, tremendous oppression -- and a voice for the freedom of the Cuban people. You heard that pledge. You exercised the right you have to vote. You went out and you voted. And here I am like I promised -- like I promised. (Applause.)

I promised you -- I keep my promises. Sometimes in politics, they take a little bit longer, but we get there. We get there. Don't we get there? You better believe it, Mike. We get there. (Laughter.) Thank you. Thank you. No, we keep our promise.

And now that I am your President, America will expose the crimes of the Castro regime and stand with the Cuban people in their struggle for freedom. Because we know it is best for America to have freedom in our hemisphere, whether in Cuba or Venezuela, and to have a future where the people of each country can live out their own dreams. (Applause.)

For nearly six decades, the Cuban people have suffered under communist domination. To this day, Cuba is ruled by the same people who killed tens of thousands of their own citizens, who sought to spread their repressive and failed ideology throughout our hemisphere, and who once tried to host enemy nuclear weapons 90 miles from our shores.

The Castro regime has shipped arms to North Korea and fueled chaos in Venezuela. While imprisoning innocents, it has harbored cop killers, hijackers, and terrorists. It has supported human trafficking, forced labor, and exploitation all around the globe. This is the simple truth of the Castro regime. (Applause.)

My administration will not hide from it, excuse it, or glamorize it. And we will never, ever be blind to it. We know what's going on and we remember what happened. (Applause.)

On my recent trip overseas, I said the United States is adopting a principled realism, rooted in our values, shared interests, and common sense. I also said countries should take greater responsibility for creating stability in their own regions. It's hard to think of a policy that makes less sense than the prior administration’s terrible and misguided deal with the Castro regime. (Applause.) Well, you have to say, the Iran deal was pretty bad also. Let's not forget that beauty.

They made a deal with a government that spreads violence and instability in the region and nothing they got -- think of it -- nothing they got -- they fought for everything and we just didn’t fight hard enough. But now those days are over. Now we hold the cards. We now hold the cards. (Applause.)

The previous administration’s easing of restrictions on travel and trade does not help the Cuban people -- they only enrich the Cuban regime. (Applause.) The profits from investment and tourism flow directly to the military. The regime takes the money and owns the industry. The outcome of the last administration’s executive action has been only more repression and a move to crush the peaceful, democratic movement.

Therefore, effective immediately, I am canceling the last administration’s completely one-sided deal with Cuba. (Applause.)

AUDIENCE: Trump! Trump! Trump!

THE PRESIDENT: I am announcing today a new policy, just as I promised during the campaign, and I will be signing that contract right at that table in just a moment. (Applause.)

Our policy will seek a much better deal for the Cuban people and for the United States of America. We do not want U.S. dollars to prop up a military monopoly that exploits and abuses the citizens of Cuba.

Our new policy begins with strictly enforcing U.S. law. (Applause.) We will not lift sanctions on the Cuban regime until all political prisoners are freed, freedoms of assembly and expression are respected, all political parties are legalized, and free and internationally supervised elections are scheduled. Elections. (Applause.)

We will very strongly restrict American dollars flowing to the military, security and intelligence services that are the core of Castro regime. They will be restricted. We will enforce the ban on tourism. We will enforce the embargo. We will take concrete steps to ensure that investments flow directly to the people, so they can open private businesses and begin to build their country’s great, great future -- a country of great potential. (Applause.)

My action today bypasses the military and the government, to help the Cuban people themselves form businesses and pursue much better lives. We will keep in place the safeguards to prevent Cubans from risking their lives to unlawful travel to the United States. They are in such danger the way they have to come to this country, and we are going to be safeguarding those people. We have to. We have no choice. We have to. (Applause.)

And we will work for the day when a new generation of leaders brings this long reign of suffering to an end. And I do believe that end is in the very near future. (Applause.)

We challenge Cuba to come to the table with a new agreement that is in the best interests of both their people and our people and also of Cuban Americans.

To the Cuban government, I say: Put an end to the abuse of dissidents. Release the political prisoners. Stop jailing innocent people. Open yourselves to political and economic freedoms. Return the fugitives from American justice -- including the return of the cop-killer Joanne Chesimard. (Applause.)

And finally, hand over the Cuban military criminals who shot down and killed four brave members of Brothers to the Rescue who were in unarmed, small, slow civilian planes. (Applause.)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...s-towards-cuba
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

So, is Trump a douche yet?
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post

Here's an idea... how about we discuss something that is actually happening and then we call Trump a douche for deciding where I am allowed to travel in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

"I'm juiced up!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Still no, for reasons yet to be posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Cuba sanctions- continuing a policy which has failed for over 50 years. (I thought Trump wasn't going to intervene in the affairs of other countries? He seems to be doing even more of that than he accused Obama of). I am trying to figure out if I will still be able to go there later this year. "New regulations will be determined in a couple months".
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-18-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Often thought about going to the Tropicana Club in Havana.... guess I'll never get the chance.