Thread: Are Texas juries making the case for the end of the death penalty?

Are Texas juries making the case for the end of the death penalty?

It was welcome news this week that the death penalty is continuing to fall out of favor with Texas juries.

In the 15 death penalty cases tried in Texas since 2015, jurors have sentenced only eight men to death. In Dallas County, prosecutors have sought capital punishment in just two cases since 2014; juries declined to sentence defendants to death in both.

They've got good reasons to be reluctant.

This newspaper has been calling for the end of the death penalty in Texas since 2007. This error-prone system has proved to be expensive, arbitrary and unfair — and does little to discourage heinous crimes. It's clear that even in Texas, once the nation's death penalty leader, county prosecutors are seeking it less.

Fellow advocates against capital punishment call that progress. It's promising that district attorneys are showing that they can live without the death penalty. There were seven executions in Texas last year, four so far this year. And national momentum is already swinging against support.

It may have been too much to hope for that Texas lawmakers would finally abolish the death penalty this legislative session. They once again left repeal legislation stuck in committee.

But there were hopeful signs that Austin is moving in the right direction.

A bill to repeal the death penalty at least received public hearings this session. And three bills that would have made more crimes eligible for the death penalty were never heard in committee.

Legislators also sent a bipartisan bill to Gov. Greg Abbott aimed at preventing wrongful convictions, one of the main reasons for waning confidence in the system.

Police would be required to record interrogations, and prosecutors would have to provide jurors more information about testimony from so-called prison snitches. Stricter protocols also would be in place for eyewitness identification.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/e...-death-penalty
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why does the jury even still have the option of choosing death penalty?

It should be mandatory.

I will be writing my congressman. Time to make Texas great again.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

The only problem with the death penalty is the same as with any other, when it's applied to an innocent person. Yes it's wrong to kill innocent people, but letting them rot away the rest of their life is the same punishment really.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Yes it's wrong to kill innocent people, but letting them rot away the rest of their life is the same punishment really.
    Ya but it allows new evidence to come up or old evidence to be analyzed using new techniques.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    The only problem with the death penalty is the same as with any other, when it's applied to an innocent person. Yes it's wrong to kill innocent people, but letting them rot away the rest of their life is the same punishment really.
    If I were wrongly convicted, I would much rather get life in prison than the death penalty.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    life in prison
    That sounds like a pretty $#@!ty way to live.

Quote Originally Posted by HitoKichi View Post
    I'm sure it is but is being executed better? Wouldn't you want the chance to try and clear your name?

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    I'm sure it is but is being executed better? Wouldn't you want the chance to try and clear your name?
    I thought this was in the context of "if I can't clear my name and it's impossible to try".

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I thought this was in the context of "if I can't clear my name and it's impossible to try".
    Let's say it is, would you rather be executed? I'd still chose life in prison. I would want to see my kids and (one day) grand kids. I would want them to know me. I would want them to know I was innocent.

Let's say it is, would you rather be executed? I'd still chose life in prison. I would want to see my kids and (one day) grand kids. I would want them to know me. I would want them to know I was innocent.
    You could also find yourself a prison bitch

and make a prison family
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I dunno, life in prison sounds pretty $#@!ty to me too. Hopefully I'll never have to make the choice.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    You could also find yourself a prison bitch

and make a prison family
    That goes without saying...

I dunno, life in prison sounds pretty $#@!ty to me too. Hopefully I'll never have to make the choice.
    The alternative sounds worse.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Well I'd obviously have to choose the latter. Clearly I have better things to do than finding out what the afterlife looks like.

Well I'd obviously have to choose the latter. Clearly I have better things to do than finding out what the afterlife looks like.
    You're young, I'm not.
    "The Patriarch"

If I were wrongly convicted, I would much rather get life in prison than the death penalty.
    Then just kill yourself. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.

You've got no business getting someone else to do it for you on my dime.

(And at least it would be your decision, and not someone else deciding for you which alternative you ought to prefer ...)
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 06-09-2017 at 08:45 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Lamp; 06-09-2017 at 09:00 PM.