Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey woman falls into hole while using her cellphone

New Jersey woman falls into hole while using her cellphone

I really wish I could have been there...

"The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

... bet she lost her signal down there.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

video or it didn't happen
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Obviously we need a law that requires flagmen to be stationed on each side of an open sidewalk hole.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    video or it didn't happen
    Your wish is the interweb's command:

I think walking while cell-phoning is illegal in parts of NJ

In slight defense of the woman, I'd wager the raised lid blended in with the sidewalk from her angle. It's a matter of perspective. Add to that poor eyesight, and she wouldn't be able see it until the last second. Unfortunately for her, she looked at her phone during that critical second.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    In slight defense of the woman, I'd wager the raised lid blended in with the sidewalk from her angle. It's a matter of perspective. Add to that poor eyesight, and she wouldn't be able see it until the last second. Unfortunately for her, she looked at her phone during that critical second.
    On the opposite spectrum, I wouldn't put it past her doing it on purpose. Having watched too many personal injury lawyer commercials can do that to a person.

I'm ashamed at those passerbys. Don't they know they're supposed to break out their phone cameras?

Damn. What is happening to Americans?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    On the opposite spectrum, I wouldn't put it past her doing it on purpose. Having watched too many personal injury lawyer commercials can do that to a person.
    If that's the case, she's dedicated to making it believable.

There was an old bum at one shopping center that would jump out of the bushes onto hoods of cars. Police finally figured it out after the same cop responded twice for the guy. My uncle was one of his victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Your wish is the interweb's command:

Maybe she did it on purpose $$$

Hope she didn't break her phone.

I enjoy a good bit of schadenfreude as much as the next person, but geez ...

Would this have been less "amusing" if she had been reading a book instead?

"There but for the grace ..." etc.

Poor lady. I hope she wasn't hurt too bad.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 06-09-2017 at 11:57 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Obviously we need a law that requires flagmen to be stationed on each side of an open sidewalk hole.
    I would think the gas company had the proper barricades to set around that door some employee probably just was too lazy to do it.

I can't tell you how many kids (and a few adults o_O) I've watched walk right into my shopping cart at the grocery store. I use to warn them but I don't anymore. It makes my black little heart skip a beat to watch them take a wack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I would think the gas company had the proper barricades to set around that door some employee probably just was too lazy to do it.
    Even a blind person would notice those open doors and walk around them. She just wasn't watching where she was going.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I can't tell you how many kids (and a few adults o_O) I've watched walk right into my shopping cart at the grocery store. I use to warn them but I don't anymore. It makes my black little heart skip a beat to watch them take a wack.
    Never happens to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

Yes, I can agree with this...anybody can $#@! up and this women is seriously hurt because of that $#@! up.

The problem I have is that somehow or another, this will result in more ridiculous safety measures.

Some mandate will come down from on high, either through government or the insurance mafia that anytime any of these access doors have to be opened, the whole street will have to be shut down, traffic diverted, and a squad of safety men in hi viz jumpsuits, rotating light festooned hard hats and megaphones barking at anybody within 100 yards "DANGER DANGER MOVE ALONG!!!"

Yes, I can agree with this...anybody can $#@! up and this women is seriously hurt because of that $#@! up.

The problem I have is that somehow or another, this will result in more ridiculous safety measures.

Some mandate will come down from on high, either through government or the insurance mafia that anytime any of these access doors have to be opened, the whole street will have to be shut down, traffic diverted, and a squad of safety men in hi viz jumpsuits, rotating light festooned hard hats and megaphones barking at anybody within 100 yards "DANGER DANGER MOVE ALONG!!!"

Not necessary. Those women are not allowed out at night.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Now THAT is something that deserves contempt and derision ...

Pretty much this^^ Extra emphasis on her being 67. For all we know, she hasn't aged well and is confused by the technology and/or the stuff going on around her. If she's deaf/hard of hearing that makes it an even more reasonable $#@!up. I know my dad got confused by environmental things when his hearing went bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I disagree. I smell a fraud after watching that video. It looks to me like she saw dollar signs as soon as she saw that opening. Hell, my 89 year old legally blind mother wouldn't have done that. I'm only 8 years younger than that woman and I sure as hell wouldn't have done that. (unless I wanted to retire)
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Even a blind person would notice those open doors and walk around them. She just wasn't watching where she was going.
    That is why most accidents happen they aren't looking at what they are doing. At any rate on a job like that where people are walking along a familiar route not expecting this door to be open they are looking down, up, to the side and, walking then, boom they fell down that opening.

I think the gas company was liable for the injury and should have to pay. It was the gas company's responsibility to make sure to minimize any potential hazard to the public when they doing work at street level among the public.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I disagree. I smell a fraud after watching that video. It looks to me like she saw dollar signs as soon as she saw that opening. Hell, my 89 year old legally blind mother wouldn't have done that. I'm only 8 years younger than that woman and I sure as hell wouldn't have done that. (unless I wanted to retire)
    I'm skeptical. Unless and unitl some actual evidence of fraud is presented, I see no reason to think that this was anything other than an unfortunate acccident.

I'm skeptical. Unless and unitl some actual evidence of fraud is presented, I see no reason to think that this was anything other than an unfortunate acccident.
    Well, I could be wrong. At any rate the best scenario is complete unawareness of ones surroundings.
    "The Patriarch"

Thread title prompted a giddy laugh. I'm not a phone person. If someone is going to fall into a hole, it should be one of those annoying phone-obsessed weirdos.
    Then I saw the video and read that she was 67.
    Now I just feel bad.
    Poor thing.

Why don't they have those things marked with yellow stripes or something, it kind of blends into the sidewalk. weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I think walking while cell-phoning is illegal in parts of NJ
    Everything is illegal in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'm with you there. She didn't pull out the cell phone until she noticed two witnesses walking towards her. Still, she'll win that lawsuit. Pretty sure OSHA requires a cattle fence marked in hunter orange around that.

Well, I could be wrong. At any rate the best scenario is complete unawareness of ones surroundings.
    Been there. Done that. More than once.

I was walking down the sidewalk one time, and a friend of mine was on the other side of the street. He saw me and called out my name three times, louder each time. The last time was a yell, and that's what finally got my attention. I realized afterward that I had actually heard him all three times, but it didn't sink in until he yelled. I was just strollin' along in la-la land, thinkin' my thoughts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast