Thread: NH Governor Signs Bill Protecting Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency From Regulation!

Cool NH Governor Signs Bill Protecting Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency From Regulation!

NH Governor Signs Bill Protecting Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency From Regulation!
    by Ian
    Jun 7, 2017
    http://freekeene.com/2017/06/07/nh-g...om-regulation/

To see the many links in the original article click on the link to the actual article ^

On Friday, New Hampshire’s new governor John Sununu signed a bill, HB 436, which makes NH the first state to explicitly protect cryptocurrency like Bitcoin from regulation!

This is a historic day and this move clearly positions New Hampshire as the most bitcoin-friendly state in the United States. NH was already the #1 most free state according to the “Freedom in the 50 States” study and this makes it even more free. New Hampshire also now stands in even more stark contrast to New York, the least free state, since New York a couple years ago did the opposite and attacked cryptocurrency businessess with their oppressive “bitlicense”, which drove bitcoin businesses OUT of NY. Now those businesses can escape safely to NH as this just-passed bill offers them a safe haven from the ravaging, destructive effects of government interference.

NH’s new cryptocurrency protection language is very simple and clear. It adds an entry to the money transmitter statutes that exempts:
    Persons who engage in the business of selling or issuing payment instruments or stored value solely in the form of convertible virtual currency or receive convertible virtual currency for transmission to another location.

After hearing from multiple NH bitcoiners in the committee meetings, state representative Barbara Biggie stepped up and filed this bill. As Darryl and I pointed out at the hearing, the bill as filed wasn’t quite what we’d hoped for. It created a new definition and exemption for “virtual currency” in the statutes, but still left in statutes a definition and regulation for “convertible virtual currency”. We explained to them that this was confusing and they should be striking the regulation for “convertible virtual currency” rather than creating the additional terminology.

You know what? They listened AND did us one better! The commerce committee amended the bill and turned it into the best possible protection for bitcoin businesses in New Hampshire!

This is further proof of the effectiveness of the active, growing libertarian migration to New Hampshire, many of whom are bitcoin/crypto enthusiasts. Thanks to the liberty activists here, we have several Bitcoin Vending Machines spread across the state, Keene has more bitcoin-accepting businesses per capita than anywhere in the world, crypto meetups happening statewide every week, and now this excellent crypto protection from the state government.

Things are only going to get better here and more free as more people who love liberty and cryptocurrency move here. If you’re not already planning your move, you really owe it to yourself to spend an hour and watch this documentary, “101 Reasons Liberty Lives in New Hampshire“. You can connect with people who are planning to move and those already here over on the Shire Forum, which has crypto-related subforums. Please stay tuned here to Free Keene for the latest on the cryptocurrency scene here in the Shire.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    New Hampshire was already one of the hottest spots in the world for cryptocurrency use and development - now with the spectre of regulation removed, unlike the states that are only currently neutral on the matter, we can expect a huge influx of cryptocurrency businesses to New Hampshire.

I suspect there are a lot of people in the business who are aware of the Free State Project but it was easier for them to stay put and run their crypto operations there. If they're forward-looking they'll start looking to move to New Hampshire, but even if they aren't when their states do eventually crack down, at least they have a place to go!

Not an issue "in my wheelhouse", but still, good for us.

Keith, got a vote tally handy?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Not an issue "in my wheelhouse", but still, good for us.

Keith, got a vote tally handy?
    It was pretty much Republicans vs. Democrats. In the House, some of the less bad Democrats supported it. Only 1 RINO opposed it in the Senate. The Senate Democrats went insane trying to demonize Bitcoin. It reminded me of the old Reefer Madness movie. These legislators might be unhinged The Governor had someone appointed that testified for the bill in the House and the Governor also signed the bill.

House
    For - Against
    185 - 170
    178 R - 156 D
    5 D - 13 R
    The numbers don't add up because several reps. died or resigned since the vote.

Senate
    For - Against
    13 - 10
    13 R - 9 D
    0 D - 1 R

Details here
    http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill...s=&q=1&lsr=621
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 06-07-2017 at 11:07 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    It was pretty much Republicans vs. Democrats. In the House, some of the less bad Democrats supported it. Only 1 RINO opposed it in the Senate. The Senate Democrats went insane trying to demonize Bitcoin. It reminded me of the old Reefer Madness movie. These legislators might be unhinged The Governor had someone appointed that testified for the bill in the House and the Governor also signed the bill.

House
    For - Against
    185 - 170
    178 R - 156 D
    5 D - 13 R
    The numbers don't add up because several reps. died or resigned since the vote.

Senate
    For - Against
    13 - 10
    13 R - 9 D
    0 D - 1 R

Details here
    http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill...s=&q=1&lsr=621
    Thanks.

The reason I was asking is I am watching DesMarais.

I do not see her name listed on the roll call though.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Thanks.

The reason I was asking is I am watching DesMarais.

I do not see her name listed on the roll call though.
    She hadn't been sworn it yet.