Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was Lincoln a Tyrant?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I can prove you lie blatantly with quotes that you can't edit.
    You say you can, but you don't?
    We believe our lying eyes...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He freed the slaves and then enslaved them and everyone else to the government making him a totalitarian slave master. I believe that would classify him as a tyrant.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    The fact remains that slavery is indefensible from a libertarian point of view.
    I agree, but what does this mean? That Jefferson, Anti-Federalists, Jacksonians, and Classical Liberals...collectively the founders of libertarianism (more or less)...are indefensible? Your statement is 100% true but logic would then require us to throw some great men in the trash bin of history, and we would never do that, perhaps because the rest of their lives were so important, or maybe because people are uncomfortable retroactively applying morals from 200+ years in the future.

The libertarians of the 18th/19th centuries were (just as today) the beacons of freedom. If they were truly indefensible, I'm not sure how any other historical figures from back then could be defended.

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I agree, but what does this mean? That Jefferson, Anti-Federalists, Jacksonians, and Classical Liberals...collectively the founders of libertarianism (more or less)...are indefensible? Your statement is 100% true but logic would then require us to throw some great men in the trash bin of history, and we would never do that, perhaps because the rest of their lives were so important, or maybe because people are uncomfortable retroactively applying morals from 200+ years in the future.

The libertarians of the 18th/19th centuries were (just as today) the beacons of freedom. If they were truly indefensible, I'm not sure how any other historical figures from back then could be defended.
    You must know what freedom is before you can give it to others, the south needed to progress to give it to everyone but the North didn't even understand what it was and they took it from everyone.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Lincoln was hypocritical scum.

Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right — a right which, we hope and believe, is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people that can may revolutionize, and make their own of so much of the territory as they inhabit. — Speech by Abraham Lincoln in the House of Representatives, January 12, 1848
    Lincoln stated that the preservation of the Union was 'key' , regardless of whether slavery
    was in place or abolished.
    The John Birch Society claims Lincoln was a member of the illuminati, which makes sense in this context,
    liberate the world via Globalism.

I said slavery was indefensible. Slavery is not a person, or a group of people.

Can those people be defended? They had an excuse. The economics of tobacco farming in that place at that time made it about impossible to stay afloat without slaves. They couldn't have knit a nation together without permitting slavery. Is that excuse good enough?
    We believe our lying eyes...

That Jefferson, Anti-Federalists, Jacksonians, and Classical Liberals...collectively the founders of libertarianism (more or less)...are indefensible?
    Those were collectively the founders of libertarianism? What are you talking about?

people are uncomfortable retroactively applying morals from 200+ years in the future.
    Opposing slavery is not a moral from 200+ years in the future.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 03-14-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I said slavery was indefensible. Slavery is not a person, or a group of people.

Can those people be defended? They had an excuse. The economics of tobacco farming in that place at that time made it about impossible to stay afloat without slaves. They couldn't have knit a nation together without permitting slavery. Is that excuse good enough?
    They were also born and raised in a system they didn't start and many of them wanted to end it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Lincoln stated that the preservation of the Union was 'key' , regardless of whether slavery
    was in place or abolished.
    The John Birch Society claims Lincoln was a member of the illuminati, which makes sense in this context,
    liberate the world via Globalism.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Lincoln was a traitor to liberty and, by extension, to humanity.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    SULLA was a tyrant. Ole "Honest Abe" LINCOLN was a politician who had to try to unify a fragmented, badly split nation.
    OLE JEFFERSON DAVIS WAS A PASSIONATELY PATRIOTIC YET CONTRADICTORY ELITIST TRAITOR OF THE FIRST ORDER...
    LIZ CHENEY is correct, wily ole Donald Trump is the biggest threat to our nation and its Constitution. The second biggest
    threat is not Woody Wilson or FDR or our Cold War military apparatus, instead its the complicated yet hidden court system
    inside our classic & long running WAR ON TERROR. Our modern practical GOP is NOT on the moral high ground at all, today.

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    SULLA was a tyrant. Ole "Honest Abe" LINCOLN was a politician who had to try to unify a fragmented, badly split nation.
    OLE JEFFERSON DAVIS WAS A PASSIONATELY PATRIOTIC YET CONTRADICTORY ELITIST TRAITOR OF THE FIRST ORDER...
    LIZ CHENEY is correct, wily ole Donald Trump is the biggest threat to our nation and its Constitution. The second biggest
    threat is not Woody Wilson or FDR or our Cold War military apparatus, instead its the complicated yet hidden court system
    inside our classic & long running WAR ON TERROR. Our modern practical GOP is NOT on the moral high ground at all, today.
    If you think Davis or any other Confederate governor or general is a "traitor", you just don't understand their viewpoint... which was the prevailing American viewpoint in their times, and before. It has deep roots, legal and philosophical in American history, and it is this - the States are sovereign. They have their own legislatures, constitutions, and obligations to citizenry. They may or may not continue to stay in the federated union. They are free to withdraw, and even to form confederations amongst themselves.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

LINCOLN was a politician who had to
    "Had to"? Why? To benefit whom?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

There is no honor in uniting a divided country by force.

It's just slavery by another name.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12