Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Was Lincoln a Tyrant?

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I can prove you lie blatantly with quotes that you can't edit.
    You say you can, but you don't?
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Only Q or a civil war will save us



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32
    He freed the slaves and then enslaved them and everyone else to the government making him a totalitarian slave master. I believe that would classify him as a tyrant.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge



  4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  5. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    The fact remains that slavery is indefensible from a libertarian point of view.
    I agree, but what does this mean? That Jefferson, Anti-Federalists, Jacksonians, and Classical Liberals...collectively the founders of libertarianism (more or less)...are indefensible? Your statement is 100% true but logic would then require us to throw some great men in the trash bin of history, and we would never do that, perhaps because the rest of their lives were so important, or maybe because people are uncomfortable retroactively applying morals from 200+ years in the future.

    The libertarians of the 18th/19th centuries were (just as today) the beacons of freedom. If they were truly indefensible, I'm not sure how any other historical figures from back then could be defended.

  6. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I agree, but what does this mean? That Jefferson, Anti-Federalists, Jacksonians, and Classical Liberals...collectively the founders of libertarianism (more or less)...are indefensible? Your statement is 100% true but logic would then require us to throw some great men in the trash bin of history, and we would never do that, perhaps because the rest of their lives were so important, or maybe because people are uncomfortable retroactively applying morals from 200+ years in the future.

    The libertarians of the 18th/19th centuries were (just as today) the beacons of freedom. If they were truly indefensible, I'm not sure how any other historical figures from back then could be defended.
    You must know what freedom is before you can give it to others, the south needed to progress to give it to everyone but the North didn't even understand what it was and they took it from everyone.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  7. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Lincoln was hypocritical scum.

    Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right — a right which, we hope and believe, is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people that can may revolutionize, and make their own of so much of the territory as they inhabit. — Speech by Abraham Lincoln in the House of Representatives, January 12, 1848
    Lincoln stated that the preservation of the Union was 'key' , regardless of whether slavery
    was in place or abolished.
    The John Birch Society claims Lincoln was a member of the illuminati, which makes sense in this context,
    liberate the world via Globalism.

  8. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    The libertarians of the 18th/19th centuries were (just as today) the beacons of freedom. If they were truly indefensible, I'm not sure how any other historical figures from back then could be defended.
    I said slavery was indefensible. Slavery is not a person, or a group of people.

    Can those people be defended? They had an excuse. The economics of tobacco farming in that place at that time made it about impossible to stay afloat without slaves. They couldn't have knit a nation together without permitting slavery. Is that excuse good enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    There's not a liberty lover on the planet who isn't called a liberal by the right, and a con by the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Only Q or a civil war will save us

  9. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    That Jefferson, Anti-Federalists, Jacksonians, and Classical Liberals...collectively the founders of libertarianism (more or less)...are indefensible?
    Those were collectively the founders of libertarianism? What are you talking about?

    Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    people are uncomfortable retroactively applying morals from 200+ years in the future.
    Opposing slavery is not a moral from 200+ years in the future.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 03-14-2019 at 07:31 AM.

  10. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I said slavery was indefensible. Slavery is not a person, or a group of people.

    Can those people be defended? They had an excuse. The economics of tobacco farming in that place at that time made it about impossible to stay afloat without slaves. They couldn't have knit a nation together without permitting slavery. Is that excuse good enough?
    They were also born and raised in a system they didn't start and many of them wanted to end it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  11. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Lincoln stated that the preservation of the Union was 'key' , regardless of whether slavery
    was in place or abolished.
    The John Birch Society claims Lincoln was a member of the illuminati, which makes sense in this context,
    liberate the world via Globalism.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2015, 03:54 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 11:11 AM
  3. Abe Lincoln: Patriot or Tyrant?
    By AgentforPathfinder in forum History
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 02:57 PM
  4. Abraham Lincoln: Tyrant
    By green73 in forum History
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 01-11-2013, 05:28 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 04:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •