Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top 11 Things Every Mormon Should Know About Eastern Orthodoxy

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Who will be rewarded for their work?
    She's not arrogant enough to name names. God has His reasons, and none of us are smart enough to completely understand them.

If you're trying to figure out who among us is arrogant enough to profess to understand them, start with that mirror over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The simple answer is, those who among their works, accepted the gift Jesus was crucified to give them, will be rewarded for their works.

The souls who gave unto others selflessly.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    The souls who gave unto others selflessly.
    Have you done that?

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Have you done that?
    I try--no one is perfect. But I do repent everyday for my sins. I also stay in the word everyday.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I try--no one is perfect. But I do repent everyday for my sins. I also stay in the word everyday.
    But you still sin. And you don't repent perfectly.

How can you have hope in your sinful life right now? You think God accepts that?

James 2:10

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
    Donnay? Why do you have hope in your sinful life right now?

How can you have hope in your sinful life right now? You think God accepts that?
    That's why there is only one work that saves you from the wrath of God. The rest are just treasures in heaven.

Holding the keys to the Kingdom, you neither enter, nor suffer anyone else to enter.

Jesus violated the Sabbath. The dogma of the era considered that a violation of God's law. The Pharisees who saw Him do it would argue that He was not perfect and without sin. Yet you say He was.

And then, like the Pharisees, you purport to understand perfectly God's law, and judge whether donnay's repentance is sufficiently perfect? You are no more fit to judge her than the ancient Pharisees were to judge Jesus.

And you know it. Yet here you still are, still blathering and still appearing to be judgmental. Why? What is the name of your game?

You ask a lot of questions. Do you ever answer any?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Romans 10:9 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Psalms 86:5 - For thou, Lord, [art] good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.

Deuteronomy 4:31 - (For the LORD thy God [is] a merciful God he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them.

Micah 6:8 - He hath shewed thee, O man, what [is] good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Malachi 3:17 - And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

Luke 6:36 - Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

1 Peter 1:3 - Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Holding the keys to the Kingdom, you neither enter, nor suffer anyone else to enter.

Jesus violated the Sabbath. The dogma of the era considered that a violation of God's law. The Pharisees who saw Him do it would argue that He was not perfect and without sin. Yet you say He was.

And then, like the Pharisees, you purport to understand perfectly God's law, and judge whether donnay's repentance is sufficiently perfect? You are no more fit to judge her than the ancient Pharisees were to judge Jesus.

And you know it. Yet here you still are, still blathering and still appearing to be judgmental. Why? What is the name of your game?

You ask a lot of questions. Do you ever answer any?
    What? Where did Jesus sin and break the Sabbath?

Probably for the same reason you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Probably for the same reason you do?
    I don't have hope at all in my life. What hope is in there in my life? I have hope in Christ's life on my behalf, like every other Christian does.

1 Thessalonians 5:8
    But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I really must congratulate you though, Sola. When it comes to manufacturing slickly worded gotcha questions and explaining what you really meant after you extract answers, to make everyone but you seem like an ignorant heathen you are a true genius. You might say I have hope in your life that you will use your talented mind for good. In Christ, of course....
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

What? Where did Jesus sin and break the Sabbath?
    I did not say He did. I said Pharisees said He did.

Pharisees like you, who (like you) think (just like the next authoritarian) God created a body of law to destroy man, not to help man. Despite the fact that Jesus said just the opposite, and His words are right there for all to see, and as plain as day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 2
    24And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?

25And he said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him?

26How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?

27And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

28Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.
    I'm sure you believe that this violation of the Pharisees' Rules of the Sabbath was not sinful either because they weren't as good Pharisees as you, or because Rank Has Its Privileges, or whatever other authoritarian excuse you can conjure. But the fact remains that the spirit of the law is the law, not the letter of the law. That is how the law serves man, not the other way around. And it really isn't difficult to see that's why Jesus taught the law in parables, rather than in absolutes.

David taught it. Jesus taught it. You do not teach it.

Why?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 06-12-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Revelation 3:7
    “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;”

So I say, the Pharisees accused Jesus of sinning, and you ask, where did Jesus sin? And before quoting chapter and verse, I display enough lawyerly presence of mind to remind you that I did not accuse Jesus of anything, the Pharisees did.

And suddenly you don't want to play any more. When someone proves able to sidestep your childish little sophist traps, it really puts you off your feed. Doesn't it?

And a self-confessed former atheist running around laying childish sophist traps for Christians to stick their feet into is a great service to the Lord by means of... what, exactly?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 06-12-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    So I say, the Pharisees accused Jesus of sinning, and you ask, where did Jesus sin? And before quoting chapter and verse, I display enough lawyerly presence of mind to remind you that I did not accuse Jesus of anything, the Pharisees did.

And suddenly you don't want to play any more. When someone proves able to sidestep your childish little sophist traps, it really puts you off your feed. Doesn't it?

And a self-confessed former atheist running around laying childish sophist traps for Christians to stick their feet into is a great service to the Lord by means of... what, exactly?
    What do you think about the verse in the OP?

You can see how appealing the Orthodox church would be to a Mormon... They essentially believe the same completely unbiblical things about salvation.
    From a distance,
    Sola_Fida can see,
    No one is as Biblical as he,

We're all Unbiblical! We're all Unbiblical!
    We're all Unbiblical... from S_F's stance.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What do you think about the verse in the OP?
    'Hey, look over there!'

There is no Bible verse in the OP of this thread.

How is this childish, sophist trick in service of the Lord, again? Answer the question or tacitly admit you're doing the devil's work here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel Poet View Post
    God has a funny way of inching us towards truth whether we want it or not. It takes an awful lot of ox-goad-kicking to get worse.

Hm, I'm not sure. I've thought backsliding is the natural tendency of mankind. It seems like the more truth we believe we have the more complacent and arrogant mankind becomes.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123