Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gregg Allman, Soulful Trailblazer of Southern Rock, Dies at 69

Gregg Allman, Soulful Trailblazer of Southern Rock, Dies at 69

Gregg Allman, Soulful Trailblazer of Southern Rock, Dies at 69

Gregg Allman, the soulful singer-songwriter and rock n' blues pioneer who founded The Allman Brothers Band with his late brother, Duane, and composed such classics as "Midnight Rider," "Melissa" and the epic concert jam "Whipping Post," has died at age 69, Billboard has learned. He was diagnosed with hepatitis C in 1999 and underwent a liver transplant in 2010.

He "passed away peacefully at his home in Savannah, Georgia," according to a statement on Gregg Allman's official website, noting that the family planned to release a statement soon. "Gregg struggled with many health issues over the past several years. During that time, Gregg considered being on the road playing music with his brothers and solo band for his beloved fans, essential medicine for his soul. Playing music lifted him up and kept him going during the toughest of times."

Gregg’s longtime manager and close friend Michael Lehman said, “I have lost a dear friend and the world has lost a brilliant pioneer in music. He was a kind and gentle soul with the best laugh I ever heard. His love for his family and bandmates was passionate as was the love he had for his extraordinary fans. Gregg was an incredible partner and an even better friend. We will all miss him.”

With his long blond hair, cool facade and songs that chronicled restless, wounded lives, Allman came to personify the sexy, hard-living rock outlaw in a life marked by musical triumph and calamitous loss.

Billboard will have more information about the specifics behind Allman's death as the story develops.
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...gg-allman-dead
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

He was a helluva rocker but he was a rat too.

Shame he's gone for music's sake, but good riddance of a federal snitch.

Gregg on fire here, the dancing on that 2nd song tho

FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    He was a helluva rocker but he was a rat too.

Shame he's gone for music's sake, but good riddance of a federal snitch.
    I was only nine when all this was going down...this article is from a few years later, in 1979.

Off topic...but is it just me...the article is clearly written, understandable and using proper grammar?

The Allman Brothers Band Finally Buries the Hatchet—and Not in One Another

http://people.com/archive/the-allman...r-vol-11-no-6/

BY JIM JEROME

POSTED ON FEBRUARY 12, 1979 AT 12:00PM EDT

TWEET
    EMAIL

There is no way we can work with Gregg Allman again. Ever.

—Dickey Betts in 1976

It wasn’t as momentous as if, say, Lennon & McCartney announced their reunion, but the rapprochement in Miami was perhaps even more unlikely. Nearly three years after their acrimonious breakup, Gregg Allman, Dickey Betts and the remnants of the original Allman Brothers Band cautiously gathered in a studio to piece together what had once been the premiere act in Southern blues-rock. “We feel like it’s the first time together,” ventured Gregg, 31. “We’re fresh. We’ve all come through a lot and learned a lot from it.”

Not even the Beatles, after all, split with the bad blood that marked the sundering of the Allman Brothers in 1976. Plagued by artistic stagnation, organizational chaos, flagging record sales and super group indulgences like drinking, drugs and Gregg’s heroin addiction, the band “couldn’t even get to the studio at the same time,” recalls drummer Butch Trucks, 31. Then came Allman’s damning testimony in the drug trial that resulted in a 75-year sentence for his former personal road manager and dope supplier, Scooter Herring.

Gregg was banished from Macon, Ga., Capricorn Records’ Southern rock nexus, and resettled in alien Beverly Hills to live out his deteriorating marriage to his third wife, Cher. Though he cut a fine but obscure studio album, Playin’ Up a Storm, Gregg never adjusted to life in L.A.’s fast lane. “Everything out there is so competitive,” he complains. “There’s no brotherhood of musicians. It’s all who’s got the biggest house, the fastest, shiniest cars, who plays the best racquetball. I don’t plan to go back.” As antidote, he roamed the Southern bar circuit, joining pickup groups and enduring catcalls of “narc” and “snitch” from hostile audiences. As recently as last month Gregg discovered a scratch gouged with a key down the length of his black Pontiac Trans Am. “When that happens, it just makes me work harder,” he says. “But I think that’s all over now.”

The other band members spun off individually but lacked the synergistic power of the ABB. Dickey Betts and his group, Great Southern, were reduced to playing 500-seat beer joints. “It was,” he winces, “really a blast on my ego.” Chuck Leavell, Lamar Williams and drummer Jaimoe (his only name) barely stayed afloat as Sea Level (whose road manager, ironically, is Scooter Herring, now out on bail after his conviction was reversed). Trucks, “learning to think again,” switched to lecturing on music at Florida State while writing a paper on the demise of the band.

Eventually, Trucks recalls, “We got positive reports about Gregg, that he’d kicked smack for good, that he was more clear-thinking than before. We all felt it was time to act our age and get something done.” The charter four added guitarist Dan Toler and bassist Rook Goldfliese, and together they experimented last summer with an unannounced jam in Manhattan’s Central Park. “It had been a while since I’d heard a crowd like that,” Gregg admits. “It scared the hell out of me. But that clinched it to go on.” Now, Betts insists, “the bad blood has all been talked out.” “We hadn’t talked to Gregg at all before,” Trucks agrees. “I made my decision to split based on headlines. It wasn’t fair to Gregg.”

The Brothers maintain that their togetherness is uncontaminated by financial considerations. (At one time one of America’s biggest rock bands ever, they cut five gold LPs, three of which went platinum, and reaped $15 million on a single tour.) “Money isn’t the reason we’re trying this,” says Betts. “If it were, we wouldn’t have gotten this far. I feel inspired again.” Jaimoe and Betts, though, have demanded audits from Capricorn. Trucks quit Florida State for lack of funds, and Jaimoe says he needs money for his jazz studies at Georgia’s Mercer College. Allman felt so “desperate and disillusioned” at one point during the split that he considered hiring on as first mate on a shrimp boat for $25 a day “until the old captain told me, ‘The beard goes and the long hair goes.’ ”

Florida, for Gregg, means coming home. He grew up there with his older brother Duane, killed in a motorcycle accident in 1971. He and Cher still phone each other, though she has filed for divorce and has legally dropped both his name and Sonny Bono’s. Last summer Gregg played daddy for their son, Elijah Blue, 2½, and Chastity Bono, 9, for two weeks in Daytona Beach, where Gregg’s mother lives, but he has seen the boy only once since leaving Beverly Hills. “He’s huge. He wears four-year-old clothes and talks his little ass off,” Allman boasts. “And he looks identical to me.”

So far, the band’s reunion seems to have stabilized Gregg’s behavior. He is continuing antidrug therapy and has been through AA. However, his hard drinking contributed to a disorderly conduct arrest after a parking-lot ruckus last October. Allman still rages at reporters who, he feels, “have butchered my private life.” After a brief reprise with high school sweetheart Barbara Bradley, he has no regular lady at present.

With their new Enlightened Rogues LP scheduled for later this month, the Allmans are hoping for a rebirth rivaling that of one of their biggest boosters, Jimmy Carter. (Even in exile, Gregg played at Carter’s 1977 Inaugural Ball.) “When we get together, it shakes the earth,” Betts claims. “No other group can do it this way. It’s something special.” Yet before signing a new contract, Capricorn czar Phil Walden, whose lineup of acts had produced but one platinum LP since the Allman Band breakup, conducted a market survey to convince himself Southern boogie can still cut it in the disco era. Allman may be the key to it. “In L.A. I only wrote four songs in three years that I could keep,” he says. “In just three months down here I’ve hit 10 keepers. If this thing gets going again, I may build me a place in Sarasota or Miami.” But, just in case, he adds, “I’ve still got all my stuff in storage.”

He ratted out a roadie to the feds for a plea bargain.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/cr.../article/94477

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Probably my favorite...

I HIGHLY recommend this documentary if you haven't seen it:

l]

Seen the Allman Brothers a couple of times and caught Greg just two years ago. Always awesome! Pic I took at the show:

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Seen the Allman Brothers a couple of times and caught Greg just two years ago. Always awesome! Pic I took at the show:

I would be fascinated to see your list of concert attendance. US Festival and now this?

Wasn't at the US Festival. Greg Allman was performing at our County Fair which draws about two million visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Wasn't at the US Festival. Greg Allman was performing at our County Fair which draws about two million visitors.
    Whoops my bad. I think it was Brian4Liberty that was at US Festival.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

On a positive note I can now buy all the albums I wouldn't....

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Thank you Greg Allman. RIP.

It's been a bad year for most everyone I know. Death, divorce, accidents, and just straight up schism amongst friends and family.

Just another hard hit in a bad, bad, year.

He's one of the few top notch artists that I "met." In the '90's I was given back stage passes for the
    Allman Brothers. Went to the "back stage" scene and it was bogus. Cheap beer in a cooler and no band members. So me and my friend left out. We got lost in the undertown of the coliseum. Passed some stretch limo's on our right. A hundred feet later Greg came out of a room. A bottle of whiskey in one hand. A dozen roses in the other. Two fine women under each arm. He said to me... "Hey, man. Do you know where my ride is?" I said "down and to your left." He smiled and told me "Thank you."

No big story. Just that. He was a blues/rock voice. One of the best.

Just another hard hit in a bad, bad, year.
    Only one thing to do when that happens brother:

Sorry CPUd, I didn't see this in new posts. I'll ask for a merge.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Only one thing to do when that happens brother:

You live in my head, brother. I just listened to that at 11 on the volume. More in remembrance to come. Asked for thread merge with CPUd's thread.

Greg just Greg......

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    You live in my head, brother. I just listened to that at 11 on the volume.

You needed that that extra push over the cliff?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Sorry CPUd, I didn't see this in new posts. I'll ask for a merge.
    Merged.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Whoops my bad. I think it was Brian4Liberty that was at US Festival.
    Yep.

Never saw Greg Allman or Skynyrd. Did see .38 Special and Blackfoot.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

YA'LL?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    YA'LL?
    Just a fitting "southern rock" song for one who has passed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast