Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hindu extremist government bans beef in attack on Christianity and poor

Hindu extremist government bans beef in attack on Christianity and poor

Millions will starve because of this evil tyranny.

The Indian government has issued a nationwide ban on selling cattle for slaughter, the toughest measure yet imposed to protect cows, an animal that conservative Hindus regard as sacred.

Under new rules issued this week, the government ordered that no cows or buffaloes could be traded at a livestock market without a signed declaration by the owner that the animal was not being sold for slaughter.

Anyone buying livestock would have to present a document showing that he or she is an “agriculturalist.”

The rules came as part of a tough new law against animal cruelty, but commentators said they were aimed at placating hard-line Hindu supporters of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s nationalist government.

Hindus form an overwhelming majority among India’s 1.3 billion people, and many of them eschew beef out of respect for the bovine.

But beef, which is cheaper in India than many other sources of protein, is a major part of the diet of Muslims, Christians and Hindus from the lowest rung of the ancient caste system, known as Dalits, or “untouchables.”

The leader of the southern state of Kerala, which has a large Christian population, criticized the move as “fascist” and a “clear attack on our plurality.”

Pinarayi Vijayan, the state’s chief minister, tweeted that the law would rob hundreds of thousands of people of jobs, cripple the leather industry and affect the diets of millions of people.

The rules build on legislation passed in several states, most led by Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party, to ban the slaughter of cattle. The laws have stoked violence by Hindu vigilante groups that have attacked Muslims and others on suspicion of smuggling cattle or possessing beef.
    http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-i...526-story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Millions will starve because of this evil tyranny.

Coming from a family that supports the BJP I can't emphasise how sorry I am.

Last edited by Lamp; 05-27-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HitoKichi View Post
    Coming from a family that supports the BJP I can't emphasise how sorry I am.
    WTF is this acronym?

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    WTF is this acronym?

Did you even bother to read the article?

Quote Originally Posted by HitoKichi View Post
    Did you even bother to read the article?
    Of course, it wasn't used or explained there either.

I ass-ume it has something to do with cow worshiping but don't really know which is why I asked.

Bharatiya Janata Party
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Of course, it wasn't used or explained there either.

I ass-ume it has something to do with cow worshiping but don't really know which is why I asked.
    It's an abbreviation for the political party that was mentioned in the last paragraph

'tis a rather unfortunate acronym
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Exclamation India bans sale of cows for slaughter

India bans sale of cows for slaughter, a move designed to appease conservative Hindus

The Indian government has issued a nationwide ban on selling cattle for slaughter, the toughest measure yet imposed to protect cows, an animal that conservative Hindus regard as sacred.

Under new rules issued this week, the government ordered that no cows or buffaloes could be traded at a livestock market without a signed declaration by the owner that the animal was not being sold for slaughter.

Anyone buying livestock would have to present a document showing that he or she is an “agriculturalist.”

The rules came as part of a tough new law against animal cruelty, but commentators said they were aimed at placating hard-line Hindu supporters of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s nationalist government.

Hindus form an overwhelming majority among India’s 1.3 billion people, and many of them eschew beef out of respect for the bovine.

But beef, which is cheaper in India than many other sources of protein, is a major part of the diet of Muslims, Christians and Hindus from the lowest rung of the ancient caste system, known as Dalits, or “untouchables.”

The leader of the southern state of Kerala, which has a large Christian population, criticized the move as “fascist” and a “clear attack on our plurality.”

Pinarayi Vijayan, the state’s chief minister, tweeted that the law would rob hundreds of thousands of people of jobs, cripple the leather industry and affect the diets of millions of people.

The rules build on legislation passed in several states, most led by Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party, to ban the slaughter of cattle. The laws have stoked violence by Hindu vigilante groups that have attacked Muslims and others on suspicion of smuggling cattle or possessing beef.

India’s environment minister, Harsh Vardhan, said the new rules applied only to sales at livestock markets and that cattle bought and sold directly from farms would not be affected.

“The aim of the rules is only to regulate the animal market and sale of cattle in them and ensure [the] welfare of cattle” in the markets, Vardhan said, according to the Press Trust of India.

But the meat trade in India, a $4-billion industry, is centered on animal markets and dominated by Muslims and Dalits, who would be most affected by the change.

In the western state of Maharashtra, where a government led by Modi’s party banned the slaughter of cows in 2015, thousands of butchers have lost their jobs and many meat shops have closed.

In the city of Aurangabad, Mohammad Qureshi, 31 — part of a Muslim community that has traditionally slaughtered cattle and sold the meat for export — said his family’s beef business has dwindled. The business has survived because the state ban did not include buffalo meat, but now buffalo cannot be sold at markets for slaughter either.

“What are we supposed to do?” Qureshi said. “I have a family to look after and this shop is all I have. By imposing these rules, the government is making lives difficult for minorities.”

The nationwide rules would also prevent farmers from selling aging and unproductive cattle to be slaughtered, which many farmers have typically done to raise money and avoid the expense of maintaining an unproductive animal.

Many observers criticized the government for imposing new layers of bureaucracy and paperwork on cattle traders, many of whom are poor and uneducated.

Anyone seeking to sell cattle at a market would need to furnish identification documents — both for himself and the animal — creating what one commentator called “a cow bureaucracy in the 21st century.”
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Glad I don't live over there...

I'll cook steak in their honor this weekend...

FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    I'm still waiting over here for Modi's Ides of March.

Last edited by Lamp; 05-27-2017 at 02:46 PM.

DH says that beef consumption is on the rise as the Muslim population increases and that underneath it all, this is likely an anti-Muslim action.

Good thing I am an agriculturalist . Burgers on the grill today , back to work tomorrow planting beans .
    Do something Danke

The end of the beef industry will be a small price to pay so that Zuckerberg can get cheap labor...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    DH says that beef consumption is on the rise as the Muslim population increases and that underneath it all, this is likely an anti-Muslim action.
    I guess they really want a war with Pakistan.
    Bad Idea China will destroy them, unless they think they can get all of the enemies China has made with the south China sea garbage to help.
    Still not a good idea though.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I love cows they are so sweet I am glad that somebody has banned their mass slaughter. Over the years my blood lust has dissipated to almost nothing. I feel sorry for them when I see them out grazing in fields around my house. I have been a vegetarian for most of my 60+ years so I guess I have a little different view of this "market".

I don't eat animals and they don't eat me.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I love cows they are so sweet I am glad that somebody has banned their mass slaughter. Over the years my blood lust has dissipated to almost nothing. I feel sorry for them when I see them out grazing in fields around my house. I have been a vegetarian for most of my 60+ years so I guess I have a little different view of this "market".

So you wish government to force your sentimentality on everyone else? Why are you here at this forum tyrant?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They would if you gave them half a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    They would if you gave them half a chance.
    Not Bovines.
    But most bulls would kill you and leave you to rot for the vultures.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Not Bovines.
    But most bulls would kill you and leave you to rot for the vultures.
    Wolves bears pigs...

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    So you wish government to force your sentimentality on everyone else? Why are you here at this forum tyrant?
    So why don't you move to a country where slaughter of cows is legal or better yet why don't you raise and slaughter your own cow and put it's eye ball on your plate while you eat the flesh of the animal you raised to kill and eat. Jesus was a vegetarian...

So why don't you move to a country where slaughter of cows is legal or better yet why don't you raise and slaughter your own cow and put it's eye ball on your plate while you eat the flesh of the animal you raised to kill and eat. Jesus was a vegetarian...
    Jesus was not a vegetarian.

Question: "Was Jesus a vegetarian? Should a Christian be a vegetarian (or vegan)?"

https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-C...egetarian.html

Answer: Jesus was not a vegetarian. The Bible records Jesus eating fish (Luke 24:42-43) and lamb (Luke 22:8-15). Jesus miraculously fed the crowds fish and bread, a strange thing for Him to do if He was a vegetarian (Matthew 14:17-21). In a vision to the apostle Peter, Jesus declared all foods to be clean, including animals (Acts 10:10-15). After the flood in Noah's time, God gave humanity permission to eat meat (Genesis 9:2-3). God has never rescinded this permission.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with a Christian being a vegetarian. The Bible does not command us to eat meat. There is nothing wrong with abstaining from eating meat. What the Bible does say is that we should not force our convictions about this issue on other people or judge them by what they eat or do not eat. Romans 14:2-3 tells us, “One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.”

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Jesus was not a vegetarian.

Question: "Was Jesus a vegetarian? Should a Christian be a vegetarian (or vegan)?"

https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-C...egetarian.html

Answer: Jesus was not a vegetarian. The Bible records Jesus eating fish (Luke 24:42-43) and lamb (Luke 22:8-15). Jesus miraculously fed the crowds fish and bread, a strange thing for Him to do if He was a vegetarian (Matthew 14:17-21). In a vision to the apostle Peter, Jesus declared all foods to be clean, including animals (Acts 10:10-15). After the flood in Noah's time, God gave humanity permission to eat meat (Genesis 9:2-3). God has never rescinded this permission.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with a Christian being a vegetarian. The Bible does not command us to eat meat. There is nothing wrong with abstaining from eating meat. What the Bible does say is that we should not force our convictions about this issue on other people or judge them by what they eat or do not eat. Romans 14:2-3 tells us, “One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.”
    http://food-drink.blurtit.com/786548...-in-desert-eat

Why would anyone from the general area of that time period be a vegetarian in the first place?

[COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]Deserts[/COLOR] are well known for being hot and often dry places, and it can be [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]difficult[/COLOR] for plants to grow in sand and with little water.

There are still many [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]foods[/COLOR] eaten in the desert, but each desert or region of the world produces, grows or rears different types of food, so the food eaten will depend on the location. This is a quick [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]overview[/COLOR] of what kinds of food can be eaten in desert climates:

• Meat as food

Despite the rougher [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]conditions[/COLOR], it is still possible for animals to be reared in the desert to be used for their meat and other products such as milk. Some species of goat are found in the desert, where they can be used for their milk and meat.

Similarly, [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]camels[/COLOR] can produce milk and can also provide tasty meat, although their ability to go for long periods of time without water and carry heavy loads is also very useful. Even lizards can be a good source of nutrients for humans and it is not uncommon for some reptiles to be eaten as a part of a desert [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]diet[/COLOR].

• Vegetables and plants as food

Even though deserts are synonymous with a lack of water, many types of plant can grow in the desert and provide food for human life. For example palm trees can grow easily in desert conditions and some palm trees produce fruit called the [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]date palm[/COLOR].

When ripe, date palms are sweet tasting fruits that are very nutritious. Many [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]cacti[/COLOR] and other plants found in the desert are edible and are a great source of water as well as vitamins that can sustain the body in the desert.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    as long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields
    -Tolstoy
    ""

But, that said, if we're going to compare historical figures and hold their eating habits to account...

Hitler was, in fact, a vegetarian, and a committed "animal rights" person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_..._vegetarianism

He was also a dedicated and zealous anti-smoking, ahem, Nazi.

I like vegans and Hindu's!

The more there are the lower beef prices get...

They just need to keep their proclivities to themselves.

Amen. Reminds me of the quote, "Animals are my friends, and I don't eat my friends."
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

as long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields
    -Tolstoy
    Otherwise they would be too hungry to fight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast