Thread: For The "Never Talk To The Cops" File: "I guess you're here for the opium"

For The "Never Talk To The Cops" File: "I guess you're here for the opium"

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...D=ansmsnnews11

Cody Xiong cracked open his door, saw the investigator on his porch and 'fessed up, authorities say.

“I guess,” Xiong said, “you are here for the opium.”

The investigator wasn't. But suddenly, he was intrigued.

What followed was a massive opium bust, based entirely on a North Carolina poppy grower who thought prematurely that the jig was up.

His field contained about $500 million worth of opium-producing poppy plants, authorities said.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    May have been looking for cock-fighting evidence...

Investigators also found several chickens with injuries consistent with cockfighting, authorities said.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

“I guess,” Xiong said, “you are here for the opium.”
    Knothead...

FFS... /facepalm

Seeing as last I checked it was still legal to grow poppies, you just can't harvest them for opium it was completely retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Seeing as last I checked it was still legal to grow poppies, you just can't harvest them for opium it was completely retarded.
    Yep, my poppies are just going into bloom. Pretty red ones.

(Papaver somniferum) is the strain that is illegal.

Yeah, just a hop, skip, and jump down the road from me. Idiot.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    (Papaver somniferum) is the strain that is illegal.
    Citation? I'm pretty sure all types are legal to grow for ornamental reasons

That's what I've heard. You just don't want to be caught cutting grooves in the seed pods.

wiki is vague:

In the United States cultivation of poppies for food is illegal.[dubious – discuss] However, this is not typically enforced for poppies grown or sold for food or ornamental purposes.[14][unreliable source?] In addition, "Opium poppy and poppy straw" are also prohibited.[24] As the opium poppy is legal for culinary or esthetic reasons, poppies were once grown as a cash crop by farmers in California. The law of poppy cultivation in the United States is somewhat ambiguous.[25] The reason for the ambiguity is because the Opium Poppy Control Act of 1942 (now repealed)[26][27][28] stated that any opium poppy should be declared illegal, even if the farmers were issued a state permit.[29] § 3 of the Opium Poppy Control Act stated:
    It shall be unlawful for any person who is not the holder of a license authorizing him to produce the opium poppy, duly issued to him by the Secretary of the Treasury in accordance with the provisions of this Act, to produce the opium poppy, or to permit the production of the opium poppy in or upon any place owned, occupied, used, or controlled by him.

This led to the Poppy Rebellion, and to the Narcotics Bureau arresting anyone planting opium poppies and forcing the destruction of poppy fields of anyone who defied the prohibition of poppy cultivation.[30][31] Though the press of those days favored the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, the state of California supported the farmers who grew opium poppies for their seeds for uses in foods such as poppyseed muffins. Today, this area of law has remained vague and remains somewhat controversial in the United States.[32] The Opium Poppy Control Act of 1942 was repealed on 27 October 1970.[33][34]

Maybe you should grow a field of them to see. Just don't try to harvest opium and you should be ok.
    "The Patriarch"

And ya, what a idiot.........
    "The Patriarch"

Must have been using his own junk.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

"His field contained about $500 million worth of opium-producing poppy plants, authorities propogandists said."

original author needed some help
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Quote Originally Posted by surf View Post
    "His field contained about $500 million worth of opium-producing poppy plants, authorities propogandists said."

original author needed some help
    This equals $1000.00

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Maybe you should grow a field of them to see. Just don't try to harvest opium and you should be ok.
    If I did and the cops showed up, I certainly wouldn't refer to opium in anyway.

I could be wrong. It's been known to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    wiki is vague:

In the United States cultivation of poppies for food is illegal.[dubious – discuss] However, this is not typically enforced for poppies grown or sold for food or ornamental purposes.[14][unreliable source?] In addition, "Opium poppy and poppy straw" are also prohibited.[24] As the opium poppy is legal for culinary or esthetic reasons, poppies were once grown as a cash crop by farmers in California. The law of poppy cultivation in the United States is somewhat ambiguous.[25] The reason for the ambiguity is because the Opium Poppy Control Act of 1942 (now repealed)[26][27][28] stated that any opium poppy should be declared illegal, even if the farmers were issued a state permit.[29] § 3 of the Opium Poppy Control Act stated:
    It shall be unlawful for any person who is not the holder of a license authorizing him to produce the opium poppy, duly issued to him by the Secretary of the Treasury in accordance with the provisions of this Act, to produce the opium poppy, or to permit the production of the opium poppy in or upon any place owned, occupied, used, or controlled by him.

This led to the Poppy Rebellion, and to the Narcotics Bureau arresting anyone planting opium poppies and forcing the destruction of poppy fields of anyone who defied the prohibition of poppy cultivation.[30][31] Though the press of those days favored the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, the state of California supported the farmers who grew opium poppies for their seeds for uses in foods such as poppyseed muffins. Today, this area of law has remained vague and remains somewhat controversial in the United States.[32] The Opium Poppy Control Act of 1942 was repealed on 27 October 1970.[33][34]
    This was my original source, but I'm not convinced it's accurate.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/legal-g...ers-77641.html

Among the many varieties of poppies, only opium poppy (Papaver somniferum) is illegal to grow in the United States