Thread: Dead Automotive Battery

Dead Automotive Battery

I have several. I am going to try to revive some of them with epsom salt.

Anyone ever try this before?

I have one that came out of a 4Runner that I just bought. It reads 5.4 volts. I pulled the caps off and one cell is extremely low and all others are low. I put about 4 teaspoons of epsom salt directly in each cell and added distilled water to cover the plates and put it on a charger.
    Last edited by Schifference; 05-25-2017 at 05:58 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Son has one in his 4-wheeler that's been epsom salt restored for two+ years now

It can work.

The chemistry is sound: the magnesium sulfate reacts with the lead sulfate on the battery plates (rust or corrosion for want of a better term) that accumulates on the plates of a battery that has been left discharged or dry for too long. By cleaning the plates, it allows contact with the electrolyte (battery acid) to form a better connection and allow the freer flow of electrons from plate to plate (current!).

Couple of caveats: it only tends to work once... and for a little while. When that battery finally does bite the dust, that's it, running the treatment a second time will generally not work.

This will not work if there is internal damage, shorts, broken leads or cracked plates in one or all of the cells.

If that is the case, the battery is junk...put it on the scrap heap.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    It can work.

The chemistry is sound: the magnesium sulfate reacts with the lead sulfate on the battery plates (rust or corrosion for want of a better term) that accumulates on the plates of a battery that has been left discharged or dry for too long. By cleaning the plates, it allows contact with the electrolyte (battery acid) to form a better connection and allow the freer flow of electrons from plate to plate (current!).

Couple of caveats: it only tends to work once... and for a little while. When that battery finally does bite the dust, that's it, running the treatment a second time will generally not work.

This will not work if there is internal damage, shorts, broken leads or cracked plates in one or all of the cells.

If that is the case, the battery is junk...put it on the scrap heap.
    Yes I think you are correct. I probably have 10 batteries and if this works I will not do the same to the others until I need one. I also think that it would work better and last longer in a vehicle that is driven daily rather than occasionally.

Yeah, it'll work. My dad used to do it all the time.

Quite often, one of the cells is shorted out by the garbage that accumulates at the bottom. If you rinse them out and refill them with electrolyte, they often will work for another few years.

Batteries still take water?

Recycle and buy a marine battery. And when that's dead buy another marine battery. Deep cell batteries have never failed me when in need, allow me to run electronics when the engine is off (stereo, lights), performance seems better when using a power inverter. Usually a good 40% higher than standard batteries but they seem to last 2-4 yrs. longer.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You can add water to many. Some is lost then the battery is being charged. Best to use distilled water though.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Yup, although many are "sealed", so adding water or this trick is difficult if not impossible.

The sealed batteries are required for use in one new car trend I loathe: placing the starting battery in the passenger compartment, usually under the right front seat.

Just another example of how all the bleating and bull$#@! about saaaafffffffttttttyyyyyy in AmeriKa is just that, bull$#@!.

From a safety standpoint, I can think of nothing more unsafe than a lead acid battery in an enclosed passenger compartment.

Off gassing, fumes, fires, explosions, short circuits and chemical burns are just some of the hazards.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yup, although many are "sealed", so adding water or this trick is difficult if not impossible.

The sealed batteries are required for use in one new car trend I loathe: placing the starting battery in the passenger compartment, usually under the right front seat.

Just another example of how all the bleating and bull$#@! about saaaafffffffttttttyyyyyy in AmeriKa is just that, bull$#@!.

From a safety standpoint, I can think of nothing more unsafe than a lead acid battery in an enclosed passenger compartment.

Off gassing, fumes, fires, explosions, short circuits and chemical burns are just some of the hazards.
    Stop it. There are plenty of individuals that work in the federal government that have a higher education level than you. Some of them may be black or Asian. Why are you a racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Quite often, one of the cells is shorted out by the garbage that accumulates at the bottom. If you rinse them out and refill them with electrolyte, they often will work for another few years.
    Yes that is what I have gathered from the research I did. But since this battery was so low on water, I thought I would just add the epsom salt and distilled water.

I think I could safely dump out the sulphuric acid from the battery into a plastic pail and neutralize it with baking soda. But, I am concerned what to do with it afterwards. It will have lead in it.
    I have seen some people dump out the acid and fill with baking soda solution until bubbling stops then rinse with water then fill with epsom salt. They never tell you what to do with the old acid. I don't want a toxic dump here. I guess one could take the neutralized acid and put it in a shallow pan on hot sunny days and evaporate the water. Seems like a lot of work.
    I didn't even mix the epsom salt with water before putting in cells. I just took a postcard and creased it forming a V then took a long plastic tea spoon and dumped 4 spoons into each cell and then covered cells with water.
    I took the charger off it last night for a minute and the battery had 12 volts. That particular battery is on a smart charger at the lowest setting for 12V.

I have a "Magnetek Series 900 Model 940-2 Converter Charger" that I removed a couple years ago from a Jayco camper. I am trying to use that as a battery charger also.

I have also read that the battery needs to be cycled several times to reach maximum performance. Something like charge it then hook up a drain on it, like an auto light bulb, until the volts run down to 11 or so and then recharge again.

All I really know is that I have several batteries that were deemed no good and replaced over the years and now I have several vehicles that need batteries. Some inexpensive batteries that fit a truck are over $150 each.

One of the batteries I have was purchased from Napa a few years ago. I put it into a Ford Taurus that had not been in use for a couple of years because of the dead battery. After starting the car and moving it a couple of feet and applying the brakes, I realized that a brake line was rusted through. When I jacked it up to see where the vehicle was falling apart into rust dust. I immediately called Napa and asked to return the battery I bought the day before. They would not take it back. Now it sits in my garage with 10V and will not hold a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Yes that is what I have gathered from the research I did. But since this battery was so low on water, I thought I would just add the epsom salt and distilled water.

I think I could safely dump out the sulphuric acid from the battery into a plastic pail and neutralize it with baking soda. But, I am concerned what to do with it afterwards. It will have lead in it.
    I have seen some people dump out the acid and fill with baking soda solution until bubbling stops then rinse with water then fill with epsom salt. They never tell you what to do with the old acid. I don't want a toxic dump here. I guess one could take the neutralized acid and put it in a shallow pan on hot sunny days and evaporate the water. Seems like a lot of work.
    I didn't even mix the epsom salt with water before putting in cells. I just took a postcard and creased it forming a V then took a long plastic tea spoon and dumped 4 spoons into each cell and then covered cells with water.
    I took the charger off it last night for a minute and the battery had 12 volts. That particular battery is on a smart charger at the lowest setting for 12V.

I have a "Magnetek Series 900 Model 940-2 Converter Charger" that I removed a couple years ago from a Jayco camper. I am trying to use that as a battery charger also.

I have also read that the battery needs to be cycled several times to reach maximum performance. Something like charge it then hook up a drain on it, like an auto light bulb, until the volts run down to 11 or so and then recharge again.

All I really know is that I have several batteries that were deemed no good and replaced over the years and now I have several vehicles that need batteries. Some inexpensive batteries that fit a truck are over $150 each.

One of the batteries I have was purchased from Napa a few years ago. I put it into a Ford Taurus that had not been in use for a couple of years because of the dead battery. After starting the car and moving it a couple of feet and applying the brakes, I realized that a brake line was rusted through. When I jacked it up to see where the vehicle was falling apart into rust dust. I immediately called Napa and asked to return the battery I bought the day before. They would not take it back. Now it sits in my garage with 10V and will not hold a charge.
    Acid in bucket, dilute with water, add baking soda, mix in some oil dry, sand/earth, put in garbage bag and toss in trash. The amount of lead is minuscule in that water and I wouldnt worry. Wear safety glasses and rubber gloves; sulfuric acid is nasty. Mainly worry about your eyes, but even if it gets on your skin it will hurt like hell. We use 66 degree Baume at my business for pit neutralization and that $#@! will $#@! you up good!
    Last edited by ghengis86; 05-26-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    Acid in bucket, dilute with water, add baking soda, mix in some oil dry, sand/earth, put in garbage bag and toss in trash. The amount of lead is minuscule in that water and I wouldnt worry. Wear safety glasses and rubber gloves; sulfuric acid is nasty. Mainly worry about your eyes, but even if it gets on your skin it will hurt like hell. We use 66 degree Baume at my business for pit neutralization and that $#@! will $#@! you up good!
    Thank you! Good to know about disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Stop it. There are plenty of individuals that work in the federal government that have a higher education level than you. Some of them may be black or Asian. Why are you a racist?
    Yassuh.

Sorry, suh.

I'll pipe down, suh.