Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Total Solar Eclipse 2017: When, Where and How to See It (Safely)

Total Solar Eclipse 2017: When, Where and How to See It (Safely)

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Simplest: Take a piece of paper. Poke a hole in it with a pin. Look at the shadow. (Do not look directly at the sun).

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Simplest: Take a piece of paper. Poke a hole in it with a pin. Look at the shadow. (Do not look directly at the sun).
    Who wants to look at a shadow? I prefer to wear like 5 or 6 pairs of sunglasses.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Wal Marx Eclipse Glasses for $15

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Solar-Ecl...&wl13=&veh=sem

Welder's glass in handheld frame. $19

https://www.amazon.com/Welders-Glass.../dp/B007O10Z80

Or just don your welder's hood if you have one.

https://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770286...welding+helmet
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-25-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Walmart eclipse glasses? Why not just use one of the patrons?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/6-mon...ipse/410152333

If you're planning on coming by, let me know... It's pretty much where I live.

Save the date: Total Solar Eclipse Aug 21st

Great eclipse info. I'm so excited I may throw an eclipse party.

Total Solar Eclipse 2017: When, Where and How to See It (Safely)

On Aug. 21, 2017, people across the United States will see the sun disappear behind the moon, turning daylight into twilight, causing the temperature drop rapidly and revealing massive streamers of light streaking through the sky around the silhouette of the moon. On that day, America will fall under the path of a total solar eclipse .

The so-called Great American Total Solar Eclipse will darken skies all the way from Oregon to South Carolina, along a stretch of land about 70 miles (113 kilometers) wide. People who descend upon this "path of totality" for the big event are in for an unforgettable experience.

Here is Space.com's complete guide to the 2017 total solar eclipse. It includes information about where and when to see it, how long it lasts, what you can expect to see, and how to plan ahead to ensure you get the most out of this incredible experience.

REMEMBER: Looking directly at the sun, even when it is partially covered by the moon, can cause serious eye damage or blindness. NEVER look at a partial solar eclipse without proper eye protection . See our complete guide to find out how to view the eclipse safely.

https://www.space.com/33797-total-so...017-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's hard to find a hotel room or rent a car anywhere in the path. People coming from across the globe for the experience.

I'd be reluctant to gamble so much - it could be cloudy that day.

Nashville is one of the prime viewing locations. It should be happening here just before I go to work. I have good viewing from my yard.
    Last edited by euphemia; 07-29-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Oh good idea! I have one here in the store. Price just went up!

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Nashville is one of the prime viewing locations. I will be working when it happens, but maybe I will get a peek.
    Clayton, Ga is also a prime spot. I'm considering a little drive up there. It's close to two hours from my house but I wonder what traffic's going to be like.

From the op link...

Eclipse Begins Totality Begins Totality Ends Eclipse Ends
    Madras, OR 09:06 a.m. 10:19 a.m. 10:21 a.m. 11:41 a.m. PDT
    Idaho Falls, ID 10:15 a.m. 11:33 a.m. 11:34 a.m. 12:58 p.m. MDT
    Casper, WY 10:22 a.m. 11:42 a.m. 11:45 a.m. 01:09 p.m. MDT
    Lincoln, NE 11:37 a.m. 01:02 p.m. 01:04 p.m. 02:29 p.m. CDT
    Jefferson City, MO 11:46 a.m. 01:13 p.m. 01:15 p.m. 02:41 p.m. CDT
    Carbondale, IL 11:52 a.m. 01:20 p.m. 01:22 p.m. 02:47 p.m. CDT
    Paducah, KY 11:54 a.m. 01:22 p.m. 01:24 p.m. 02:49 p.m. CDT
    Nashville, TN 11:58 a.m. 01:27 p.m. 01:29 p.m. 02:54 p.m. CDT
    Clayton, GA 01:06 p.m. 02:35 p.m. 02:38 p.m. 04:01 p.m. EDT
    Columbia, SC 01:03 p.m. 02:41 p.m. 02:44 p.m. 04:06 p.m. EDT
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    It's hard to find a hotel room or rent a car anywhere in the path. People coming from across the globe for the experience.

I'd be reluctant to gamble so much - it could be cloudy that day.

I hope they understand the consequences for trespassing in Clayton, GA.

I also hope they know banjo music should be considered a warning...

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Dang it.

I duped on your thread. Same link, too.

I reported myself to the proper authorities.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...lipse-Aug-21st

They disposable eclipse glasses at Kroger for 1.99 and libraries are giving them them away.

Here are the GA locations but you can probably google it for your state. It said they're giving them out all over the country.

Here's where you can get FREE glasses for the Total Solar Eclipse

More than 2 million pairs of eclipse glasses are being distributed for free at public libraries throughout the U.S. for the rare total solar eclipse in August.

Several Georgia libraries will be distributing safe eclipse glasses with scratch-resistant, filtered polymer lenses for the event.

Here is a full list of participating libraries in metro Atlanta (*NOTE: We recommend you call ahead before going to pick up your glasses):

Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System

One Margaret Mitchell Square NW

Mechanisville branch

400 Formwalks St. SW

South Fulton Library (Union City)

4055 Flat Shoals Road

COBB COUNTY

Gritters Library (Marietta)

880 Shaw Park Road

Smyrna Library

100 Village Green Circle

Switzer Library (Marietta)

266 Roswell St NE

Vinings branch

4290 Paces Ferry Rd SE

NORTH FULTON COUNTY

Alpharetta Library
    10 Park Plaza

East Roswell Library
    2301 Holcomb Bridge Road

Milton Library

855 Mayfield Rd

Roswell Library

115 Norcross Street

DEKALB COUNTY

DeKalb County Public Library

215 Sycamore St

Salem-Panola

5137 Salem Rd

GWINNETT COUNTY

(A limited number of glasses will be available on the day of Total Eclipse programs at participating branches. CLICK HERE to find upcoming programs.)

Grayson branch

700 Grayson Pkwy

Gwinnett County Public Library

6025 Buford Hwy

Hamilton Mill branch

3690 Braselton Hwy

Lawrenceville branch

1001 Lawrenceville Highway

Snellville branch

2740 Lenora Church Road

Suwanee branch

361 Main St

If you do not see your local library on the list, you can simply reach out and ask if they will be offering free glasses. For a full list of Georgia libraries, use this map.
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/loca...ipse/552002938

Experts offer warnings as fake eclipse glasses flood the market

ATLANTA -- As businesses around the United States find different ways to cash-in on the upcoming total solar eclipse, experts are warning that not all eclipse glasses being sold are what they seem.

The American Astronomical Society reports that sky-watchers need to be mindful of the glasses that are now flooding the market since not all will protect human eyes from the effects of the celestial event.

"We used to say that you should look for evidence that they comply with the ISO 12312-2 international safety standard for filters for direct viewing of the Sun," the organization posted on its website. "But now the marketplace is being flooded by counterfeit eclipse glasses that are labeled as if they're ISO-compliant when in fact they are not."

That means that even the ones that are marked as compliant could be fake. Viewers who end up with fake glasses could run the risk of getting a condition known as "eclipse blindness" or serious damage to the retina.

Read more:

"Filters that are ISO 12312-2 compliant not only reduce visible sunlight to safe and comfortable levels but also block solar UV and IR radiation," officials said.

As a precaution, both the Federal Trade Commission and the American Astronomical Society recommend that glasses be purchased directly from the companies verified to meet the standard.

Only five of those exist - American Paper Optics, Baader Planetarium (AstroSolar Silver/Gold film only), Rainbow Symphony, Thousand Oaks Optical and TSE 17.

If you decide to buy eclipse glasses elsewhere, there are ways to spot a fake. For one, the AAS reports that these glasses will only allow in light from the sun. So if you can see household light, they won't protect you. The filters are also designed to let through enough light to view the event comfortably. So if it seems too bright, it probably is.

They also recommend that you avoid some of the more recent homemade alternatives that are popping up online.

draft

"Dark sunglasses (or multiple pairs of sunglasses), neutral density or polarizing filters (such as those made for camera lenses), smoked glass, exposed film, 'space blankets,' potato-chip bags, DVDs, and any other materials you may have heard about for solar viewing are not safe," the organization posted.

They pointed out that even if they may dim the effects of the Sun, they don't necessarily protect the eyes from other parts of the electromagnetic spectrum.

"While enjoying a 'comfortable' view of the 'dim' Sun, solar infrared radiation could be cooking your retinas. And you wouldn't know till later because your retinas don't have pain receptors," the organization states.

The one "homemade" viewers that might work are welding filters - but even then only those at shades of 12, 13 or 14 which is much darker than what most welders actually use.

The good news with getting legitimate certified eclipse glasses is that the latest standard leaves behind some of the precautions that existed with older ones.

If they are ISO 12312-2 compliant, they can be reused - even after three years - as long as they aren't scratched or damaged. They also allow viewers to look at the sun for an unlimited amount of time. Previous glasses warned that users could only view the sun for 3 minutes at a time.

How to make a SAFE eclipse viewer

http://www.11alive.com/news/eclipse/...rket/461069272

"Dark sunglasses (or multiple pairs of sunglasses), neutral density or polarizing filters (such as those made for camera lenses), smoked glass, exposed film, 'space blankets,' potato-chip bags, DVDs, and any other materials you may have heard about for solar viewing are not safe," the organization posted.
    I literally had like 5 or 6 pairs of sunglasses when I did it, I don't recommend doing it with any less, and you probably shouldn't stare at it for more than a few seconds anyway but my vision was not affected.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You can sit in my yard. I'll serve you some sweet tea.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

some weird shadow effects during eclipse... https://petapixel.com/2012/05/21/cre...solar-eclipse/

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Those maps of eclipse’s path? ‘Wrong,’ experts say.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article166457627.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Amazon is offering refunds after selling fake eclipse glasses — here's how to tell if yours are safe

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-offering-refunds-selling-fake-150450530.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm like probably 60ish miles from "prime location" I'm not going to go anywhere though, traffic bound to be stupid. Damn tourists always coming here every 25 years!!

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    I'm like probably 60ish miles from "prime location" I'm not going to go anywhere though, traffic bound to be stupid. Damn tourists always coming here every 25 years!!
    I'll be starting off from the middle of it about 10 AM, and driving away from it pretty constantly after that, all in the name of employment...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Traffic is already bad going to N GA. I decided I'm close enough.

Johnson said local and state agencies have spent more than a year collaborating on strategies to keep traffic moving and keep people safe.

“There’s one way up there and there’s one way down there, so we’re estimating there’s going to be some major delays on your way up and down,” said Katie Strickland with the Georgia Department on Transportation.

Channel 2's Justin Wilfon spoke with a woman who drove from Louisiana to North Georgia in hopes of finding the perfect spot to see the eclipse.

"We saw it as an opportunity to bring a bunch of our friends and their kids up to see the eclipse," Sarah Riggs said.

Wilfon also spoke to a man who said his father drove up from Florida and sat in traffic on I-85 for two hours.

"It wasn't much fun for him. He was pretty aggravated by the time he got here," Tyler Tetley said.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/depu...ipse/594881923

I predict Atlanta traffic is going to be a mess Monday. Everything in N Ga is booked and I bet most of those folks will head home Monday after the eclipse just in time to hit 85/75/285 for Atlanta's already $#@!ed up rush hour.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A friend of mine had an auto accident. SHe had rental car coverage on her policy, but she's in Boise and there are simply no cars to be had. Another woman, a customer in my store, said she owns a summer home in Portland, and she was offered $3000 to rent it for a week. (She declined.)

I read that Hertz cancelled thousands of car reservations along the path of the eclipse, allegedly so they could rebook at higher rates. :O

Looking forward to seeing how my beehives react.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    A friend of mine had an auto accident. SHe had rental car coverage on her policy, but she's in Boise and there are simply no cars to be had. Another woman, a customer in my store, said she owns a summer home in Portland, and she was offered $3000 to rent it for a week. (She declined.)

I read that Hertz cancelled thousands of car reservations along the path of the eclipse, allegedly so they could rebook at higher rates. :O
    Oh, wow. Pretty $#@!ty and not very forward thinking of Hertz if the reservation story is legit. I probably would've taken the money and thrown in some glasses for an extra grand.

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Looking forward to seeing how my beehives react.

XNN
    I didn't even think about how wildlife would react. I don't have a hive but I have a ton of bees around my pool. I planted a bunch of butterfly bushes and not only do they attract butterflies but the bees love them. I'll be watching from my deck and I'm going to try to remember to keep my eye on them.

Eclipse countdown. I can't get this song out of my head.

Last time, I noticed what was fun to look at was all the spots on the ground where the sun was shining through the leaves of the trees, you could see the eclipse in them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast