Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OR - SJWs close white women's burrito shop

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Reason #24,256 not to own a business in the U.S.
    Meh, they were just not well-suited for it. They should have seized the opportunity to use the bad publicity and gotten all the sane folk to buy their food instead. But they tucked tail and ran away without a fight.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Everyone in Portland is an identity poser .
    Do something Danke

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Well, it's what they pay to hear in college.
    True. I remember hearing similar stuff when I was in college (unfortunately) and that was a long time ago. So it's probably a lot worse now.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by merkelstan View Post
    Then again, they *did* put french fries in burritos....
    There is a place 'round here that does that, run by some very nice middle eastern dudes. They also put fried mozzarella sticks, melted cheese and chicken tendies on some of their sandwiches. It's called stoner food.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

pommes frites
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    True. I remember hearing similar stuff when I was in college (unfortunately) and that was a long time ago. So it's probably a lot worse now.
    I know it is.... my son was told to write a paper on why Obama is such a great president. Said he got a bad grade on that paper too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I know it is.... my son was told to write a paper on why Obama is such a great president. Said he got a bad grade on that paper too.
    I probably would have been expelled.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

For years I have frequented a halal pizza place with an Italian name (bought by Muslims when all of the old Italians were driven out of the area). Pretty good, and I could still get Canadian bacon on my pizza...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    For years I have frequented a halal pizza place with an Italian name (bought by Muslims when all of the old Italians were driven out of the area). Pretty good, and I could still get Canadian bacon on my pizza...
    Pffft...not bacon.

Hell with the snowflakes just make your own burritos to piss them off..

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last time I was in Mexico, I had a burrito in a small shop run by a couple of American women.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    Hell with the snowflakes just make your own burritos to piss them off..

Not bad, except for the poor meat choice and marinade, unappetizing salsa, and refrying the beans for no apparent reason. Keep the beans whole. The fresh veggies were all good, especially with cilantro. Better meat choice would be carne asada meat from a good carniceria. It's usually very lean, sliced thin for tenderness, and you can get it pre-seasoned. Probably less expensive.

Soy sauce? Yuck. No fan of Asian-mex fusion.

So-Cal or Baja style is just carne asada with guacamole. Nor-Cal has all of the other ingredients like veggies and beans. Burrito is not really a Mexican thing, so "authentic" is very regional. Taco Bell will use refried beans, but so might an actual Mexican cook not familiar with Alta California burrito recipes. Mexicans would make a taco with the meat, not a burrito.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 05-25-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Meh, they were just not well-suited for it. They should have seized the opportunity to use the bad publicity and gotten all the sane folk to buy their food instead. But they tucked tail and ran away without a fight.
    White guilt.

The fresh veggies were all good, especially with cilantro.
    I've made my distaste for Mexican food well known, I won't re-hash it here, but that is one of the reasons why:

Am I the only one who thinks that spice tastes like soap?

And yes I know that coriander or cilantro, is European/Asian and was introduced by the Spanish to South America.

It's just that it features prominently in Mexican food and I think it tastes like dish detergent.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    White guilt.
    like I said, they just weren't prepared to run a business.

I've made my distaste for Mexican food well known, I won't re-hash it here, but that is one of the reasons why:

Am I the only one who thinks that spice tastes like soap?

And yes I know that coriander or cilantro, is European/Asian and was introduced by the Spanish to South America.

It's just that it features prominently in Mexican food and I think it tastes like dish detergent.
    It's an acquired taste for some, I didn't like when the Baja Fresh opened up down the street when I was a little kid cuz they used it in everything.. But over time I ended up liking it.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Science!

Science Explains Why Cilantro Tastes Like Soap For Certain People

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7653808.html

By Carly Ledbetter

When people say they hate cilantro, they often attribute this food feeling to a soapy aftertaste. Thanks to a new video from SciShow, we finally know why cilantro tastes like soap for some 4-14 percent of the population.

“How cilantro tastes to you has a lot to do with your genes,” says SciShow’s Hank Green. He explains that after conducting a few separate studies, scientists were able to pin down most cilantro haters as people with a shared group of olfactory-receptor genes, called OR6A2, that pick up on the smell of aldehyde chemicals. Aldehyde chemicals are found in both cilantro and soap. Uh, yummy?

If you are one of those anti-cilantro folks, at least you know that it’s not really your fault and you can blame your parents. To avoid that soapy taste in your dishes, we suggest swapping parsley for cilantro.

Science!

By Carly Ledbetter

When people say they hate cilantro, they often attribute this food feeling to a soapy aftertaste. Thanks to a new video from SciShow, we finally know why cilantro tastes like soap for some 4-14 percent of the population.

“How cilantro tastes to you has a lot to do with your genes,” says SciShow’s Hank Green. He explains that after conducting a few separate studies, scientists were able to pin down most cilantro haters as people with a shared group of olfactory-receptor genes, called OR6A2, that pick up on the smell of aldehyde chemicals. Aldehyde chemicals are found in both cilantro and soap. Uh, yummy?

If you are one of those anti-cilantro folks, at least you know that it’s not really your fault and you can blame your parents. To avoid that soapy taste in your dishes, we suggest swapping parsley for cilantro.
    Science proves that white folks are genetically racist.

Let the thinning begin.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Science!
    Its also the power of suggestion. I used to like cilantro until I read here years ago about how some people think it tastes like soap. Now I can't stand it, I get a taste of it in something and all I can taste is dawn detergent. I had never put the two flavors together before it was suggested, now I can't separate the 2.

Soap gene here too.......

Its also the power of suggestion. I used to like cilantro until I read here years ago about how some people think it tastes like soap. Now I can't stand it, I get a taste of it in something and all I can taste is dawn detergent. I had never put the two flavors together before it was suggested, now I can't separate the 2.
    Blame me.

I'm pretty sure I participated in that bitch fest a few years back.

Blame me.

I'm pretty sure I participated in that bitch fest a few years back.
    Same thing happened to me with goat cheese a la Adam Carolla.

Next time you eat goat cheese, start chewing it up, then open your mouth, and breathe in and out slightly. It tastes like a petting zoo.

Try Italian Parsley. It is similar to cilantro and may not activate those soap sensor taste buds.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Stealing from the French too I see. They're monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Try Italian Parsley. It is similar to cilantro and may not activate those soap sensor taste buds.
    parsley is good, but totally different flavor. It isn't like they are interchangeable in any other way other than both being leafy green herbs.

parsley is good, but totally different flavor. It isn't like they are interchangeable in any other way other than both being leafy green herbs.
    Italian Parsley is different from the regular kind. And I said similar not identical.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Italian Parsley is different from the regular kind. And I said similar not identical.
    i'm familiar with it, we go through 2 bunches a week of the stuff. chock full of vitamin K it is.

Science!

By Carly Ledbetter

Can you smell silk? It has a bit of a fishy smell, especially when new. Most people can not detect it.

Love cilantro. And I make a conscience effort to forget about the "soap" stories before I prepare or eat it.

Can you smell silk? It has a bit of a fishy smell, especially when new. Most people can not detect it.
    Ya I don't think it smells good.

The original story:

Kooks Serves Pop-Up Breakfast Burritos With Handmade Tortillas Out of a Food Cart on Cesar Chavez

http://www.wweek.com/uncategorized/2...-cesar-chavez/

During an impromptu Christmastime road trip last year to Puerto Nuevo, Mexico, Kali Wilgus and Liz "LC" Connelly lost their minds over tortillas.

"In Puerto Nuevo, you can eat $5 lobster on the beach, which they give you with this bucket of tortillas," Connelly says. "They are handmade flour tortillas that are stretchy and a little buttery, and best of all, unlimited."

Connelly and Wilgus were so enamored with the tortillas, they tried to uncover the recipe.

"I picked the brains of every tortilla lady there in the worst broken Spanish ever, and they showed me a little of what they did," Connelly says. "They told us the basic ingredients, and we saw them moving and stretching the dough similar to how pizza makers do before rolling it out with rolling pins. They wouldn't tell us too much about technique, but we were peeking into the windows of every kitchen, totally fascinated by how easy they made it look. We learned quickly it isn't quite that easy."

Connelly and Wilgus have turned their passion into new weekend spot Kooks Burritos, which has a concept that fits twee Portland: a breakfast burrito pop-up inside the hip Tight Tacos food cart in a Southeast Portland parking lot.

"On the drive back up to Oregon, we were still completely drooling over how good [the tortillas] were, and we decided we had to have something similar in Portland," Connelly says. "The day after we returned, I hit the Mexican market and bought ingredients and started testing it out. Every day I started making tortillas before and after work, trying to figure out the process, timing, refrigeration and how all of that works."

Well, she figured it out.

Connelly rolls out the tortillas in front of you and cooks them on the cart's flat-top griddle, bubbles forming through the uneven circle as the gentle smell of frying dough wafts from the cart. That tortilla is stretchy, pie-crust flaky, char-kissed and stuffed with fixins authentic only to SoCal burrito joints: french fries, scrambled eggs, guacamole, cheese and your choice of bacon or carne asada.

The result is as decadent as it sounds, the flake of the tortilla and soft crunch from the fries contrasting with the gooey goodness of the eggs, cheese and guac in a hangover-killing burrito. Served with Wilgus' neon-green serrano salsa and neon-orange chile de árbol salsa, both spicy and bright, breakfast doubles as a 'grammable burrainbow.

"The second we had the tortilla, we were like, 'We're doing this,'" Connelly says.

Get up a little early this weekend, and you can do it, too.

Update: Kooks Burritos has closed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast