Thread: $350.00 2 axis CNC

$350.00 2 axis CNC

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Precision - 0.25"

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Precision - 0.25"
    The guy said 1/64th in the center, 1/16th in the upper corners....

For sign makers and tinkerers this is a novel way to get involved...

I've been fascinated by CNC for years but don't have the knowledge to program them or the time and money to even set up a smaller 3 axis machine like a Shopbot...

Maybe getting something like this for my son to tinker with would be the impetus for me to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Maybe getting something like this for my son to tinker with would be the impetus for me to learn?
    I've followed them and I like their hanging design. Have considered buying.

The hardest thing is always going to be learning the software. Looks like PyCAM and Inkscape might be your best bet with Maslow.

If you don't mind paying now and then waiting until this fall (or, probably, later -- I would guess mid-2018) then I would say go for it! It would fit right in in a woodworking shop.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I've followed them and I like their hanging design. Have considered buying.

The hardest thing is always going to be learning the software. Looks like PyCAM and Inkscape might be your best bet with Maslow.

If you don't mind paying now and then waiting until this fall (or, probably, later -- I would guess mid-2018) then I would say go for it! It would fit right in in a woodworking shop.
    Depth of cut and the design of the Z axis scare me....

I have heavy linear rails and a ball screw to put a 24"x 48" machine together just sitting in the corner, got a spare 15amp P/C router too...

It's the 'puter part that's been keeping me away..

If I bought something like this for my kid would he/I learn enough about stepper motors and programming to build a real router with my parts?

Wow Tod, wish you lived close... I'm coming at this from the opposite side. I'm all over the computer stuff, and catching up on the tooling.
    I've never looked super deep into CNC but I saw this vid on my YT feed yesterday... they say it just takes gcode, and AFAIK there are several open-source tools for converting svg files into gcode.

I drooled over this thing a bit yesterday, but I immediately started thinking about hooking it up to plasma... and someone pointed out in a comment that standing up a 1/4" 4x8' plate of steel is somewhat less convenient.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Geez.... I could buy one of these then make custom signs etc on Etsy and make some good coin.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Geez.... I could buy one of these then make custom signs etc on Etsy and make some good coin.
    I couldn't.........

Not without 'puter schoolin'....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I have heavy linear rails and a ball screw to put a 24"x 48" machine together just sitting in the corner, got a spare 15amp P/C router too...

If I bought something like this for my kid would he/I learn enough about stepper motors and programming to build a real router with my parts?
    You can do it! (Maybe not with something like this, but something more plug and play)

There are enough plug and play parts around these days. You don't need to write your own software. You may have to connect some wires and install a program but trust me, the difficult part is to get a decent xy table.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    You can do it! (Maybe not with something like this, but something more plug and play)

There are enough plug and play parts around these days. You don't need to write your own software. You may have to connect some wires and install a program but trust me, the difficult part is to get a decent xy table.
    Maybe for you...........

For me if it involves 1's-n-0's it's more difficult than marquetry or carving....

I never even looked at the Z axis.

And that's just a tough nut to crack. Good software is hard to find, and there's always a learning curve.

My favorite CAD program and the one I use professionally is one called KeyCreator a.k.a. CADKEY, which nobody has ever heard of. But it definitely has a learning curve.

I have a book about building your own CNC router. It's this one:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/cnc-.../2693509664330

Read the book, but never did build it. It's OK. A little dated on the computer side, but then again it's very explicit and step-by-step. So if you can follow instructions -- and most mechanical people can! -- you can probably get it going. And as I recall about two-thirds of the book is a full reprint of some user manual or specification or something that you will absolutely not need, so ignore that.

So if you're wanting to whip those parts into a working machine, maybe getting this book and following it, supplemented by some internet searches (keywords such as "Arduino," "maker," "CNC," and "CAM software") to bring the electronics side a decade or two up to date (hint: in this day and age you will not have to etch your own PCB board, for instance. Though it doubtless would be fun and educational if you do choose to do so!).

more difficult than marquetry.
    There was a display of local marquetry at the woodworking store recently. Wow! That stuff was amazing!