Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Barnum and Bailey shutting down

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    You have nailed the problem with Sola Sripturism and general Bible/Scripture-worship. It's always ultimately self-serving when done outside the disciplined context of Holy Tradition. One of the reasons I'm Orthodox. ~hugs~
    Of course the scriptures have something to say about tradition too.
    Matthew 15:2-6
    Mark 7:3-13
    Colossians 2:8

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I fear I may never smell an elephant again.
    gotta go to Jersey, bro.

All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    "Christians" (and I'm one) are some of the worst people in understanding how things get changed over time and 2000-5000 years is a very LONG time...
    Absolutely agreed. And this is the main thing that always gets me into an unnecessary argument with nobody in particular. lol.

If you ever feel like reading another Bible, I recommend the Noah Webster KJV. He was fluent in Hebrew and Greek. Noah also penned the very first American dictionary.

Of course, you can still say, well hey, how do I know that's the true Word of God. But that might be a question that you'll always have no matter what. And that's your business, not mine. Of course, even the Latin Bible was an egregious form of Church Latin understood only by the Bishops whom, as such, had the luxury of teaching whatever they wanted so that the Church couldn't ever be brought into question. Don't believe me? Look up William Tyndale. lolol. Poor William was strangled, and then burned just in case he wasn’t dead, for translating the Bible into English.

Check out the Preface for the Noah Webster KJV...

PREFACE.
    --------
    The English version of the sacred scriptures, now in general use, was
    first published in the year 1611, in the reign of James I. Although
    the translators made many alterations in the language of former
    versions, yet no small part of the language is the same, as that of
    the versions made in the reign of Queen Elizabeth.

In the present version, the language is, in general, correct and
    perspicuous; the genuine popular English of Saxon origin; peculiarly
    adapted to the subjects; and in many passages, uniting sublimity with
    beautiful simplicity. In my view, the general style of the version
    ought not to be altered.

But in the lapse of two or three centuries, changes have taken place,
    which, in particular passages, impair the beauty; in others, obscure
    the sense, of the original languages. Some words have fallen into
    disuse; and the signification of others, in current popular use, is
    not the same now as it was when they were introduced into the
    version. The effect of these changes, is, that some words are not
    understood by common readers, who have no access to commentaries, and
    who will always compose a great proportion of readers; while other
    words, being now used in a sense different from that which they had
    when the translation was made, present a wrong signification or false
    ideas. Whenever words are understood in a sense different from that
    which they had when introduced, and different from that of the
    original languages, they do not present to the reader the 'Word of
    God'. This circumstance is very important, even in things not the
    most essential; and in essential points, mistakes may be very
    injurious.

In my own view of this subject, a version of the scriptures for
    popular use, should consist of words expressing the sense which is
    most common, in popular usage, so that the 'first ideas' suggested to
    the reader should be the true meaning of such words, according to the
    original languages. That many words in the present version, fail to
    do this, is certain. My principal aim is to remedy this evil.
    The inaccuracies in grammar, such as 'which' for 'who', 'his' for
    'its', 'shall' for 'will', 'should' for 'would', and others, are very
    numerous in the present version.

There are also some quaint and vulgar phrases which are not relished
    by those who love a pure style, and which are not in accordance with
    the general tenor of the language. To these may be added many words
    and phrases, very offensive to delicacy and even to decency. In the
    opinion of all persons with whom I have conversed on this subject,
    such words and phrases ought not to be retained in the version.
    Language which cannot be uttered in company without a violation of
    decorum, or the rules of good breeding, exposes the scriptures to the
    scoffs of unbelievers, impairs their authority, and multiplies or
    confirms the enemies of our holy religion.

These considerations, with the approbation of respectable men, the
    friends of religion and good judges of this subject, have induced me
    to undertake the task of revising the language of the common version
    of the scriptures, and of presenting to the public an edition with
    such amendments, as will better express the true sense of the
    original languages, and remove objections to particular parts of the
    phraseology.

In performing this task, I have been careful to avoid unnecessary
    innovations, and to retain the general character of the style. The
    principal alterations are comprised in three classes.

1. The substitution of words and phrases now in good use, for such as
    are wholly obsolete, or deemed below the dignity and solemnity of the
    subject.

2. The correction of errors in grammar.

3. The insertion of euphemisms, words and phrases which are not very
    offensive to delicacy, in the place of such as cannot, propriety, be
    uttered before a promiscuous audience.

A few errors in the translation, which are admitted on all hands to be obvious, have been
    corrected; and some obscure passages, illustrated. In making these amendments, I have consulted
    the original languages, and also several translations and commentaries. In the body of the work, my
    aim has been to 'preserve', but, in certain passages, more clearly to 'express', the sense of the
    present version.

The language of the Bible has no inconsiderable influence in forming and preserving our national
    language. On this account, the language of the common version ought to be correct in grammatical
    construction, and in the use of appropriate words. This is the more important, as men who are
    accustomed to read the Bible with veneration, are apt to contract a predilection for its phraseology,
    and thus to become attached to phrases which are quaint or obsolete. This may be a real misfortune;
    for the use of words and phrases, when they have ceased to be a part of the living language, and
    appear odd or singular, impairs the purity of the language, and is apt to create a disrelish for it in
    those who have not, by long practice, contracted a like predilection. It may require some effort to
    subdue this predilection; but it may be done, and for the sake of the rising generation, it is
    desirable. The language of the scriptures ought to be pure, chaste, simple and perspicuous, free
    from any words or phrases which may excite observation by their singularity; and neither debased
    by vulgarisms, nor tricked out with the ornaments of affected elegance.

As there are diversities of tastes among men, it is not to be expected that the alterations I have
    made in the language of the version will please all classes of readers. Some persons will think I
    have done too little; others, too much. And probably the result would be the same, were a revision
    to be executed by any other hand, or even by the joint labors of many hands. All I can say is, that I
    have executed this work in the manner which, in my judgment, appeared to be the best.
    To avoid giving offense to any denomination of Christians, I have not knowingly made any
    alteration in the passages of the present version, on which the different denominations rely for the
    support of their peculiar tenets.

In this country there is no legislative power which claims to have the right to prescribe what
    version of the scriptures shall be used in the churches, or by the people. And as all human opinions
    are fallible, it is doubtless for the interest of religion that no authority should be exerted in this case,
    except by commendation.

At the same time, it is very important that all denominations of Christians should use the same
    version, that in all public discourses, treatises and controversies, the passages cited as authorities
    should be uniform. Alterations in the popular version should not be frequent; but the changes
    incident to all living languages render it not merely expedient, but necessary at times to introduce
    such alterations as will express the true sense of the original languages, in the current language of
    the age. A version thus amended may require no alteration for two or three centuries to come.
    In this undertaking, I subject myself to the charge of arrogance; but I am not conscious of being
    actuated by any improper motive. I am aware of the sensitiveness of the religious public on this
    subject; and of the difficulties which attend the performance. But all men whom I have consulted,
    if they have thought much on the subject, seem to be agreed in the opinion, that it is high time to
    have a revision of the common version of the scriptures; although no person appears to know how
    or by whom such revision is to be executed. In my own view, such revision is not merely a matter
    of expedience, but of moral duty; and as I have been encouraged to undertake this work, by
    respectable literary and religious characters, I have ventured to attempt a revision upon my own
    responsibility. If the work should fail to be well received, the loss will be my own, and I hope no
    injury will be done. I have been painfully solicitous that no error should escape me. The reasons
    for the principal alterations introduced, will be found in the explanatory notes.

The Bible is the chief moral cause of all that is 'good', and the best corrector of all that is 'evil', in
    human society; the 'best' book for regulating the temporal concerns of men, and the 'only book' that
    can serve as an infallible guide to future felicity. With this estimate of its value, I have attempted
    to render the English version more useful, by correcting a few obvious errors, and removing some
    obscurities, with objectionable words and phrases; and my earnest prayer is, that my labors may not
    be wholly unsuccessful.

N. W.

https://www.amazon.com/Webster-Bible...+webster+bible
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-24-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    gotta go to Jersey, bro.

That's not an elephant, that's a hippo.

Indeed! ~hugs~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Don't forget 2 Thessalonians 2:15, 1 Corinthians 11:2, etc, etc., btw. ~hugs~ (and of course the Ecumenical councils that assembled all those scriptures into a bible for you)
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 05-24-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Holy Tradition.
    What's that mean? Just tell me, please. I don't want a link to somebody else's babbles. Thanks.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-24-2017 at 06:57 PM.

That's not an elephant, that's a hippo.
    Obviously a RINO.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Obviously a RINO.
    Yeah, I knew it didn't smell quite like a hippo, it is a Rino.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    What's that mean? Just tell me, please. I don't want a link to somebody else's babbles. Thanks.
    tl;dr-Those traditions handed down to us from the apostles and the Church Fathers. y/w

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ummm, yeah... I'd like to follow "the actual teaching of Christ" too. I'm just not 100% sure what they are. Oh, you tell me they are in "the Bible"? Which version do you feel is the one that God himself authored? Was it in the king's English or Aramaic or Hebrew? Do I need to learn all of those languages or do I have to "trust" interpreters? Are the dead sea scrolls the "official" God written originals or some other scroll?

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. "Christians" (and I'm one) are some of the worst people in understanding how things get changed over time and 2000-5000 years is a very LONG time...

I'm not trying to shake any Christians' belief in "the Bible" but really, I hope that people use their God given logic in analyzing what they are being told by church "leaders". Everyone has an agenda (Pope, preachers, ministers, teachers, scientists) and consciously or unconsciously they can and do distort things they read or observe in nature to meet their agenda goals.

How very sad. Are you actually doubting the most important truth, that we should love God and love others? There are some things that we as Christians should know intuitively. We don't have to worry about Bible versions or the bible being changed or agendas of "church leaders" to discern certain basic, obvious truths.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    You can continue to pretend that an elephant, or a pig or a dog is the same as an inanimate object… but regardless of what the law says, we all know that's not true. The law also said that black slaves were "property." You guys didn't answer this question earlier, so I'll ask again. Were those involuntary slaves truly property, apart from what the law said?

IMO this sounds like "might makes right."

And I think we all know what happens when humans have that mentality. I don't want to judge or making anyone feel bad, I do feel it's important to ask this question... If we don't want to be treated that way, why do we do the same to those we have power over?
    People are not animals.

<shrug>

You can continue to pretend that an elephant, or a pig or a dog is the same as an inanimate object… but regardless of what the law says, we all know that's not true. The law also said that black slaves were "property." You guys didn't answer this question earlier, so I'll ask again. Were those involuntary slaves truly property, apart from what the law said?

IMO this sounds like "might makes right."

And I think we all know what happens when humans have that mentality. I don't want to judge or making anyone feel bad, I do feel it's important to ask this question... If we don't want to be treated that way, why do we do the same to those we have power over?

Ok. Let's talk about rational beings, being able to see the consequence of their actions into the future.

you don't think, for the sake of their descendants, if they knew it was gonna be this much trouble and burden on their descendants, they would not have pick the GD cotton themselves?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Ok. Let's talk about rational beings, being able to see the consequence of their actions into the future.

you don't think, for the sake of their descendants, if they knew it was gonna be this much trouble and burden on their descendants, they would not have pick the GD cotton themselves?
    I would have been growing something better than cotton . Done the picking muhself .
    Do something Danke

You know , now that I think about it , having a cotton farm where you cannot harvest your crop without unpaid labor seems kind of retarded .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    People are not animals.

<shrug>

I agree. Do you believe animals were created by God?
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

I agree. Do you believe animals were created by God?
    Yes, with a "but".

Lily,

Have you ever worked with livestock?

As in on a farm, over a year through all 4 seasons...

Cattle, hogs, sheep or even goats?

Just curious.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How very sad. Are you actually doubting the most important truth, that we should love God and love others? There are some things that we as Christians should know intuitively. We don't have to worry about Bible versions or the bible being changed or agendas of "church leaders" to discern certain basic, obvious truths.
    How sad indeed. It's strange that you would come to this "conclusion" that I somehow do not "love God and love others" simply because I state a purely logical point about doubting words can survive thousands of years of history without being changed. I guess I hate God and my fellow man...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

How sad indeed. It's strange that you would come to this "conclusion" that I somehow do not "love God and love others" simply because I state a purely logical point about doubting words can survive thousands of years of history without being changed. I guess I hate God and my fellow man...
    That not what I was said or meant, you seemed to be doubting that Jesus said that, that's what I was asking you about.

― Henry David Thoreau

That not what I was said or meant, you seemed to be doubting that Jesus said that, that's what I was asking you about.
    I doubt things in the Bible that seem to contradict what I see in my world. In my world, God is love. He does not judge, he forgives. I doubt when there are references to some kind of eternal torment for "unbelievers". I doubt where it says God commanded people to kill other people... There are other places where "I doubt". God's love is certainly not one of them...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Yes, with a "but".
    What's the but?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Lily,

Have you ever worked with livestock?

As in on a farm, over a year through all 4 seasons...

Cattle, hogs, sheep or even goats?

Just curious.
    Why are you asking, unless you're implying that one needs to work on a farm to have a valid opinion on this matter?

I doubt things in the Bible that seem to contradict what I see in my world. In my world, God is love. He does not judge, he forgives. I doubt when there are references to some kind of eternal torment for "unbelievers". I doubt where it says God commanded people to kill other people... There are other places where "I doubt". God's love is certainly not one of them...

Thanks for your honesty. I didn't think that you doubted God's love. We were talking about the law… And the reason I said something is because when Wooden Indian stated what the law is, according to Jesus… it kind of seemed like you were arguing or doubting that particular point, and for some reason that surprised/saddened me. But anyway, I'm sorry if I was rude. I better stop now, because I seem to keep sticking my foot in my mouth.

― Henry David Thoreau

Why are you asking, unless you're implying that one needs to work on a farm to have a valid opinion on this matter?

I am, as I stated, curious.....

I've found over the years that most, not all, animal rights activists have never actually cared for animals.

You're entitled to whatever opinion you feel like having and if animal welfare is as important to you as it sounds then maybe some first hand experience would make you feel good about actually treating animals as you'd like to see them treated....

Unhappy

I am, as I stated, curious.....

I've found over the years that most, not all, animal rights activists have never actually cared for animals.

You're entitled to whatever opinion you feel like having and if animal welfare is as important to you as it sounds then maybe some first hand experience would make you feel good about actually treating animals as you'd like to see them treated....
    I've cared for animals all my life. I'm talking about pets, of course, but like I said, I don't think that one has to have experience working on a farm, to legitimately be a voice for the animals. As for what you said… I think that many animal rights activists do have experience with animals because typically they are people who love animals.

BTW, there are a number of cattle ranchers who had a change of heart, turned their ranch into animal sanctuaries and went vegan.

Here are a couple vids...

There are many more stories, you can read about some here: Former Meat and Dairy Farmers Who Became Vegan Activists

The thing is, we've been so conditioned for so many years to think a certain way about animals… And it is so deeply ingrained that when anyone opposes it, it sounds ludicrous. I know, because I was on the other side for a long time. I was a very enthusiastic carnivore for most of my life, and I remember saying many times, "I could never be a vegetarian or vegan, because I love eating meat too much." I've heard that many vegetarians/vegans said the same thing in the past. So it really is a huge change of mind and heart, and a completely different perspective...as I said, one that may sound crazy to others at first, due to years of deeply ingrained tradition and habit.

But I think it's a good thing to examine one's beliefs, and to think about certain things we do that don't make much sense. For example, as I've mentioned before, pigs are as smart or smarter than dogs, they have personalities and feelings like dogs do. Yet we love one and torture and eat the other. Why? Because we've always been taught that pigs are food and dogs are pets. People go to movies like 'Babe' and they cheer for the pig… then they go home and the next day eat bacon. It seems to me that that is cognitive dissonance.

At the very least, wouldn't you agree that people who could not in good conscience personally slaughter a cow or pig should not eat meat? I think that most people or at least a hell of a lot of people would fall into that category. They just need to be shown the reality, as you can see in this video below.

― Henry David Thoreau

At the very least, wouldn't you agree that people who could not in good conscience personally slaughter a cow or pig should not eat meat? I think that most people or at least a hell of a lot of people would fall into that category. They just need to be shown the reality, as you can see in this video below.
    Absolutely not!

It's not my place to determine what anybody but my child eats, certainly not someone I don't know.

Now my son has had his hands in gut piles since he was 2, been shuckin' crawdads on his own since before that, he knows where his meat comes from...

I would no more tell you what to eat than I would those people you would force to watch videos....

What's the but?
    That it is not nearly as simple as "God made it".

A Supreme Being put into place systems of biology that have made what we see today.

That includes "apex" predators that are at the top of the food chain and have the highest intelligence levels, because they have adapted to eat the highest quality and most nutrient dense food sources, ie: other animals, or, a combination of all the above.

Grass is not very nutritious for people or cows, which is why you see them doing very little but keeping their faces in the groceries all day and night long.

Of course there are exceptions...elephants come to mind...but just think of how much smarter and cunning they would be, if only they were able to munch on a gazelle's rump every so often.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    crawdads
    +rep for proper use of the word crawdads.

Well, I owe ya one, I'm out.

I've cared for animals all my life. I'm talking about pets, of course
    Pets?

#triggered!

How dare you lecture us, when you are enslaving and torturing your own animals.

You are worse than Hitler.

Rutgers law professors say pets are ‘animal slaves,’ argue domestication is form of torture

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nimal-slaves-/

Two Rutgers University law professors have published an essay making a “case against pets,” arguing that domestication of animals is a form of torture that is morally and ethically wrong.

Despite living with six rescue dogs, professors Gary Francione and Anna Charlton describe their pets as “non-human refugees,” according to an article they published on Aeon.co this month.

“Although we love them very much, we strongly believe that they should not have existed in the first place,” the couple wrote. “We oppose domestication and pet ownership because these violate the fundamental rights of animals.

“When we talk about animal rights, we are talking primarily about one right: the right not to be property,” they continued. “We all reject human chattel slavery. That is not to say that it doesn’t still exist. It does. But no one defends it.”

(Gee whiz, where have I heard THAT argument before???? - AF)

The professors argued that the way animals for food are treated would be considered torture if people endured the same treatment.

And lets not anybody get butt-hurt over that Hitler gag in my last post.

I stole it from Simpsons: (at :50 seconds)

Absolutely not!

It's not my place to determine what anybody but my child eats, certainly not someone I don't know.

Now my son has had his hands in gut piles since he was 2, been shuckin' crawdads on his own since before that, he knows where his meat comes from...

I would no more tell you what to eat than I would those people you would force to watch videos....
    I think you misunderstood. I wasn't saying that you would have to tell anyone anything. I was saying that if someone could not in good conscience slaughter a pig or cow for food, they are not acting in line with their conscience by eating meat, wouldn't you agree?

That it is not nearly as simple as "God made it".

A Supreme Being put into place systems of biology that have made what we see today.

That includes "apex" predators that are at the top of the food chain and have the highest intelligence levels, because they have adapted to eat the highest quality and most nutrient dense food sources, ie: other animals, or, a combination of all the above.

Grass is not very nutritious for people or cows, which is why you see them doing very little but keeping their faces in the groceries all day and night long.

Of course there are exceptions...elephants come to mind...but just think of how much smarter and cunning they would be, if only they were able to munch on a gazelle's rump every so often.
    Well, people have different beliefs, but from a biblical perspective, God did not create us to eat each other. Genesis 1 makes it clear that in the very beginning, God created all living beings, humans and animals, to be vegetarian. We've talked about this before on other threads.

Do you honestly believe that a good God would create animals who can suffer and feel pain, who have a strong desire to live and enjoy life.... for the purpose of being caged and tortured and eaten? No, that's not God's original design. At least not according to the Bible, and imo to common sense and intuition.

― Henry David Thoreau

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast