Thread: Would you pay $110.5 million for this painting?

Exclamation Would you pay $110.5 million for this painting?

[img]https://static01.********/images/2017/05/18/arts/19basquiat_web1/18BASQUIAT-blog427.jpg[/img]

Basquiat Painting Is Sold for $110.5 Million at Auction

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/a...t-auction.html

By ROBIN POGREBINMAY 18, 2017

Joining the rarefied $100 million-plus club in a sales room punctuated by periodic gasps from the crowd, Jean-Michel Basquiat’s powerful 1982 painting of a skull brought $110.5 million at Sotheby’s, to become the sixth most expensive work ever sold at auction. Only 10 other works have broken the $100 million mark.

“He’s now in the same league as Francis Bacon and Pablo Picasso,” said the dealer Jeffrey Deitch, an expert on Basquiat.

The sale made for a thrilling moment at the postwar and contemporary auction as at least four bidders on the phones and in the room sailed past the $60 million level at which the work had been guaranteed to sell by a third party.

The winning bid was taken on the phone by Yuki Terase, who oversees Japanese business development for Sotheby’s in Hong Kong, against the dealer Nicholas Maclean, who was hunched over in the room on the phone with a buyer. The buyer was Yusaku Maezawa, a Japanese billionaire, who purchased a Basquiat last year for $57.3 million.

Basquiat’s vibrant painting of a face in the shape of a skull set an auction record for a work by any American artist, beating Andy Warhol. It was also the first work created since 1980 to make over $100 million.

“I almost had to pinch myself to see if I was awake,” said Larry Warsh, a longtime Basquiat collector. “I applaud the compulsion of someone to buy such an iconic and important work.”

“It is a bit intemperate,” he added, “but that’s not exactly a new development.”
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Would you pay $110.5 million for this painting?
    I wouldn't pay that much for any painting.

I think the most I've ever spent on wall art is about 15.00. I bought a neat framed engraving at the thrift store. It was numbered and had the artist name so I looked it up online and it appears my engraving is worth around 50.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I got a couple I did in school I could let them have for a mere $10 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I got a couple I did in school I could let them have for a mere $10 million.
    Mr Animal did a self portrait that hangs over our tub. I would pay someone to take that thing.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Not as good as a Pablo goat head . I may go 5 FRN's if I was paying or 20 if I was getting it from Danke .
    Do something Danke

I'll take two.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

i could $hit better crap than that out my p00p hole
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Personally, I would prefer a Picasso or a Warhol.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, but only if I believed I could easily sell it for $120+ million withing 1 year

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Personally, I would prefer a Picasso or a Warhol.
    Or a Monet, or Van Gough, or Manet, or Seurat, or Gauguin, or Kline, or de Kooning.

But in reality, I would save the money and paint my own, like the large canvas over my fireplace...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Paul Joseph Watson - Why Modern Art Is Absolute Crap

... and in case youre like me and refuse to sign in to view "restricted content", hit this link:
    https://www.youtube.com/v/PRWJcrRO0GM

(NOTE: changing the url so .com/v/some_string will bypass ANY youtube "sign in to view
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I wouldn't go over 105 million.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I have seen graffiti better than that.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Or a Monet, or Van Gough, or Manet, or Seurat, or Gauguin, or Kline, or de Kooning.

But in reality, I would save the money and paint my own, like the large canvas over my fireplace...
    Or one of those huge wall-sized Dali's would be nice. I kinda like the painting in the OP; but definitely not my favorite or for that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I wouldn't pay that much for any painting.
    Beat me to it.

I think the most I've ever spent on wall art is about 15.00. I bought a neat framed engraving at the thrift store. It was numbered and had the artist name so I looked it up online and it appears my engraving is worth around 50.00.
    This is the most expensive thing on my walls (and that's only because I had it framed):

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Ahem.

If these rich people have the money to spend 100 million on a painting

Then obviously we arent taxing them enough
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Paul Joseph Watson - Why Modern Art Is Absolute Crap

... and in case youre like me and refuse to sign in to view "restricted content", hit this link:
    https://www.youtube.com/v/PRWJcrRO0GM

(NOTE: changing the url so .com/v/some_string will bypass ANY youtube "sign in to view

What PJW got wrong about modern art. Enjoy!

Another awesome rebuttal to PJW Shyte
    Last edited by juleswin; 05-19-2017 at 05:20 AM.

Of course not. There aren't even any boobs in that painting.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Beat me to it.

This is the most expensive thing on my walls (and that's only because I had it framed):

Nice. That was a great movie. We have framed posters that we picked up in Scotland that, including the frame and mat, cost more than 15.00 but I was thinking about just the art.

I have an artsy friend who says this is blasphemous but I've bought coffee table books at the thrift store, cut pics out of them and framed them. Another thing I plan on doing when I find the right painting is have my nephew (he's talented) add something funny to it like this guy does vvv.

I want a city scene with the old Japanese Godzilla added and an ocean scene with a Cracken. I have a ocean themed bathroom and always thought it needed a monster and the Godzilla pic would work in the tiny bathroom because I already have a giant t-rex on a shelf in there. I would settle for a pic or statue of The Thinker to go in that bathroom. I've always felt like that would be a good piece of bathroom art.

I want one like this but with Godzilla.

Okay, I like this idea. Maybe I can take a pic of my kids kayaking this summer and have my nephew add on to their pic? I'm sure it can be done.

I like weird $#@!. There used to be a show on TV called Oddities that I loved. They had all kinds of cool stuff. I especially liked the deformed animals and the weird medical equipment. Speaking of which, I don't have any weird medical devices but I do have a bottle of medicine that was prescribed to me in 1974. It still has some medicine in it, too. It's sitting on my bathroom shelf. Oh, and I have a pickled baby shark in my kitchen.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    I don't actually hate that one in particular.............

I could take it or leave it... certainly not for that kind of dough, tho. I like a lot of different art... "beauty is in the eye..." an' all, eh?

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

This is a good time to mock Adam Smith (and Marx's) Labor Theory of Value and remind people of Carl Menger's discovery of marginal utility and the subjective theory of value. Or as I like to call it, The Proof of Subjective Value.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/bios/Menger.html

Go Galicia!

I own a small secondhand store. We have other people's discarded art - hardly anybody looks at it.

When we downsized I brought some stuff from the house to the store. A couple of paintings my kids did in kindergarten accidentally ended up there. I had several people offer to buy them.

I'd rather buy 1,000 acres, build cabins, invite disabled artists that work in metal, wood, lost arts, etc. and set up an online shop for their work.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Art is art.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'd rather buy 1,000 acres, build cabins, invite disabled artists that work in metal, wood, lost arts, etc. and set up an online shop for their work.
    That's how ya do it. The Phactory
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

My children's doodles are worth ten times that much.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I wouldn't pay that much for any painting anything.
    FTFY.

You must have access to the money first.

If you could borrow $110M at %0.1 it would only cost you $100k per year to maintain the ownership of this piece(of art?). Next year another stooge pays $150M and you pocket the difference.
    Last edited by timosman; 05-19-2017 at 04:29 PM.

This looks like a Very Serious work of art. Also, doubtless, Important(TM).

Modern art (in general) is engaged in a protracted campaign of sorts of degradation and destruction. It is retrograde. It's as if it sets out to humiliate us, to make us question our taste (and perhaps our sanity). "Well, if everyone says this is a masterpiece, I'd better try to appreciate it, too. Let me gaze at it intently and ponder it for a while, and then, although I'm not a good enough self-delusionist to weep at its beauty, I can at least nod my head at its profundity."

Modern classical music has been destroyed by a literal protracted campaign by the CIA. ( http://theduran.com/cia-ruin-classical-music-masses/ )

Modern-anything is almost universally bad, in almost every field, and getting worse.