Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Men With Beards More Desirable?

Exclamation Are Men With Beards More Desirable?

Short answer, yes, with a but.

Not just women, the finocchs find them more attractive as well.

Are Men With Beards More Desirable?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/w...desirable.html

By LESLEY ALDERMAN MAY 17, 2017

In the past few years, a number of predictions have declared the end of the beard. “Sorry guys, beards are over,” said the website Mashable. “Beards Aren’t Cool Anymore,” said Vice.

But beards are still here — at the Oscars, parading down catwalks and on regular guys. Could it be that beards are more than a fashion statement?

Science suggests that facial hair — from scruffy day-old stubble to full Grizzly Adams — is imbued with social messages, and can play a significant role in a man’s love life.

Last year, researchers from the University of Queensland in Australia decided to explore male facial hair to determine what role, if any, beards play in sexual attractiveness, masculinity and short- and long-term relationships.

The team gathered data from 8,520 women, who were divided among three groups. Each group of women was shown pictures of men with varying degrees of facial hair. The images, which had been manipulated by the research team to show the same men more or less bearded, showed the men with clean shaven faces, light stubble (five days of growth) heavy stubble (10 days of growth) and a thick beard representing about one month of growth.

Next, each group of women was asked to mull a different question about the man’s sex appeal.

The first group rated the men’s beardless-to-bearded faces for overall sexual attractiveness.

The second group also rated the photos, but this time they were asked to score the pictures based on short-term attractiveness: Which of the men seemed most desirable for a fling or a one-night stand?

The third group rated the men in the photos as long-term prospects: Which of the men had a face that suggested he might be a good candidate for marriage and commitment?

The answers, which were published in the Journal of Evolutionary Biology, varied depending on what the woman was looking for. Overall, the women said the sexiest men were those sporting heavy stubble, followed by short stubble. Men with full beards and clean-shaven men were rated the lowest on the overall sexiness scale.

What kind of man is most attractive to a woman looking for a short-term fling or one-night stand? Men with light stubble won that contest, closely followed by men with heavier stubble, suggesting that the scruffy look appeals to women looking for fun, but not commitment.

But when it came to choosing a long-term partner, a guy with whom a woman could have babies or settle in for the duration, the more facial hair the better. Men with heavy stubble and full beards were the clear winners on this question, suggesting that men who are ready to commit might do better if they shave less often.

The authors of the study theorize that for women who are looking for a long-term mate, beardedness may be more attractive as it “indicates a male’s ability to compete for resources.”

Barnaby Dixson, a human behavioral ecologist at the University of Queensland and a co-author of the beard length study, has been researching mate preferences for a decade. He explains that both sexes judge men with beards as older and more masculine, and describe them as generous, sincere, industrious and self-confident.

But Dr. Dixson, who sports a full beard, says research has also found that facial hair is associated with some antisocial traits, such as aggression and social dominance. While these traits might not be pleasant if you’re looking for a fun fling, they might be alluring if you want an alpha male to support your family and fend off predators.

It’s not just women who prefer bearded alpha males — men also prefer men with facial hair.

Dr. Dixson and colleagues asked 1,577 men and women from Brazil and the Czech Republic about facial hair. Compared to heterosexual women, gay men had stronger preferences for men with more facial hair.

“Homosexual men preferred hairier stimuli than heterosexual women, supporting past findings that homosexual men have strong preferences for masculine traits,” the authors reported.

Brazilians preferred bigger beards than Czechs. Homosexual men preferred men with beards similar to their own. Czech women preferred men with beards that were similar to the beards their fathers had during their childhood.

The study, published in March in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior, also found that men often preferred thicker facial hair than their real partners actually had. The authors noted that the fact that people don’t end up with their “ideal” — at least in terms of his beard — may be because their ideal is not readily available, so they “compromise.”

Not every man can grow a beard naturally. More men with hairless faces have begun seeking hair transplants, according to the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery. In 2014, the latest year for which data are available, 13,956 men around the world had hair transplants to enhance their beards, up from 4,707 in 2012. More than 3,100 of the men were in the United States. Beard transplants are most popular in Asian countries, where nearly 4,200 men had the treatment in 2014.

Whether men choose to grow beards may also depend on the context in which they live. A 2016 study found that beards are more common in crowded cities where average incomes are lower. In this environment, where money is scarce and there is more competition for mates, men may feel they need to ramp up their masculinity. On the flip side, “when competition in the social environment is reduced and the need to signal dominance is of less importance, men may dial down their masculinity through shaving or grooming their beards,” Dr. Dixson wrote in an email. Which may be why beards seem to be less common in the less populated suburbs.

Another factor that influences whether men decide to grow some stubble is the frequency of beardedness around them. “When beardedness becomes too common, it is less attractive than when it is rare,” Dr. Dixson wrote. “This may explain why fashions and trends in beardedness fluctuate over time.”

Christopher Oldstone-Moore, author of the 2015 book “Of Beards and Men: The Revealing History of Facial Hair,” maintains that history more than biology establishes meanings for facial hair. “I wonder if the positive effects of beards are a matter of the current cultural preference for beards, and perhaps the idea that bearded men are more mature, confident and reliable is because that is what we are tending to associate with beards these days,” Dr. Oldstone-Moore, a senior lecturer at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio, wrote in an email. “Whenever masculinity is redefined facial hairstyles change to suit.”
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "...see my beard - ain't it weird, don't be skeerd, it's just a beard..." - George Carlin

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Are Men With Beards More Desirable?
    I don't find men desirable with or without a beard...

I knew the beard craze had jumped the shark when I went into a bar and every guy in the place had a beard of some sort.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Yeah, I can see the older look thing. Women seek a guy who is older, more mature.

I just go in cycles. I totally shave, grow for a week or two or three, then shave again. Sometimes, if it's really long, I'll just take the hair cutter and cut it that way. I also cut my own head hair like this. So, it ranges from a crew cut all the way to somewhat long. I used to shave totally bald, but that job is too long.

My wife does not like a beard. Says it makes some guys look really old. I can see that. She likes clean cut or some stubble. I mostly like 2-5 days growth. Guess if your overall appearance is old, then shaving close might balance that out. I can see where women would like the few day stubble the most. I can start to see some slight grey if I grow too long. Can't stand that.

Had an aunt who did not like beards because she said they have bugs. Maybe she was talking about Willie Nelson or something.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 05-17-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Then there's these guys. Frank Beard with no beard?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I knew the beard craze had jumped the shark when I went into a bar and every guy in the place had a beard of some sort.
    It would be like going into a bar and every guy having hair on the top of the head. It is how men are supposed to be in nature I shave to appear less threatening or if it is a requirement for an activity or job. Otherwise, I do what God wants me to do
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    It would be like going into a bar and every guy having hair on the top of the head.
    Like man buns?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    It would be like going into a bar and every guy having hair on the top of the head.
    'Twould be a miracle if I grew hair on the top of my head...

It’s not just women who prefer bearded alpha males ...
    "Alpha males". LOL. When every neckbeard nerd and metrosexual hipster has a beard, it's hard to call it an indicator of "alpha".
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 05-17-2017 at 03:49 PM.

I don't swing that way, so you can have your filthy beard or bag it. Makes no matter to me, nosuh.

I let mind grow for about 4 months last year. It was all about 1.5-2" long† and I finally had enough and ground it off in a combined state of relief and disgust.

If womyn can shave their schnizz, I can shave my face. I like it when I have schnizz-face, which is way better than penis-face.

† Both of them
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Like man buns?

The key to pulling off a topknot is the attendant daisho ( the two swords worn by samurai).

A topknot without the requisite blades is just gey. Any samurai denied the carriage of his blades would shave his knot right off because he didn't want to look like a complete phag. OK, that's not the real reason, but it may as well have been.

I've seen this bun thing and it's ultra-gey.

Compare with my walking around wifey's purse on my left shoulder while sporting a large-framed, stainless 357 on the right hip. Notice how nobody so much as gives me a "that's gey" look, much less words. These things come as package deals. One cannot pick and choose, a fact the über-ültra-phag metrosexual, erm... "men" have yet to discover. And i hope they never do because I derive such deep amusement from their unwitting geyness.

And yes, I am indeed in a sarcastic way this afternoon.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Like man buns?
    More like this and this

Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

OP, was HB's inbox full?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

No.

Men seem to think they are though. *shrug.*
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

I sport one, but only because it's less maintenance than shaving everyday... one less thing to do.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

"...and he says"

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    I sport one, but only because it's less maintenance than shaving everyday... one less thing to do.
    ... and because I'm free to do so.

"... and his hair was perfect..."

Like man buns?
    Oh God, please smite with the fleas from the $#@!s of a thousand camels, every single hipster with a man bun.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    OP, was HB's inbox full?

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The key to pulling off a topknot is the attendant daisho ( the two swords worn by samurai).
    That is the only acceptable use of a man bun.

Or if you are reprising John Belushi's "Samuri Delicatessen-Hotel Clerk-Japanese Laundry" routine.

That's IT.

I only use a razor on special occasions. Otherwise I use the clippers without a guard every 3-4 days. I can't stand that in between long stubble to full beard stage where it's itchy as hell and looks like you're 10 days into trying to grow a beard. Unless I'm on vacation and don't have business meetings and can emerge from the wilderness with it ready to go.

I am so desirable my beard does not even matter .
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When I left active duty I stopped shaving.

A year later I shaved it off just to see what my face looked like...

I immediately regretted that.

Now I'm back in the Corps as a reservist...I shave only once a month now.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    This brings the number of the daily maintenance items down to ..... zero?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This brings the number of the daily maintenance items down to ..... zero?
    I've got it easier than shakey what with my 5" part.....

Depends on the beard. Bushy, unkempt...no. Also cant stand neck and cheek beards.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I've got it easier than shakey what with my 5" part.....
    You might want to phrase that differently in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Depends on the beard. Bushy, unkempt...no. Also cant stand neck and cheek beards.
    If someone came up with a safe way of permanently removing facial hair, I'd bite.

I don't like shaving and when I grow it, I look like someone who belongs at Avenel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast