Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Salt water fishing setup

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I've come to learn something about taking women folk fishing.



    this occurred to me while being asked to pack snorkeling fins for a fishing trip... "Are you planning on wrestling the fish to shore?" I asked.
    AWALT.

    Mrs. AF packs for a single night...three full suitcases.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 08-11-2017 at 12:49 AM.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    We've tried out a few now with mixed results. The other day we hit a small isolated pier that DW remembers fondly going to with her dad. Had it to ourselves for a few hours in a nice quiet location. Caught a bunch of too small stripers and bass. Caught a couple of eels (that was a first, one big sucker), and a enough crabs for a dinner. I might keep the eels next time.
    Now, if you want to move up on the skill level some, try for weakfish:



    You'll find them in all the Jersey shallows, bays and estuaries until about October or so.

  4. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    AWALT.
    Mrs. AF packs for a single night...three full suitcases.
    Took our gear to the keys with us, DW showed her skills reeling in a half dozen nice sized mangrove snappers in next to no time. Ate like a fisher king for breakfast. Nothing much hotter than watching a woman cleaning fish by the dock at 2 in the morning. Also, grunts taste remarkably like chicken.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 08-24-2017 at 10:50 AM.

  5. #34

    Default

    Caught a mess of bonito today, supposed to be pretty good although I've never had it. The kid is excited for all he can eat bonito for dinner.

  6. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Took our gear to the keys with us, DW showed her skills reeling in a half dozen nice sized mangrove snappers in next to no time. Ate like a fisher king for breakfast. Nothing much hotter than watching a woman cleaning fish by the dock at 2 in the morning. Also, grunts taste remarkably like chicken.
    that snapper is good .

  7. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Caught a mess of bonito today, supposed to be pretty good although I've never had it. The kid is excited for all he can eat bonito for dinner.
    I've heard bonito called a number of things, but good eating was never one of them.

    Let me know what you thought.

    Me, I never used them for anything other than cutting into strip baits for trolling.

  8. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I've heard bonito called a number of things, but good eating was never one of them.

    Let me know what you thought.

    Me, I never used them for anything other than cutting into strip baits for trolling.
    I do not think I have ever tried it . I think the only place i have seen it eaten was Baja .

  9. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I've heard bonito called a number of things, but good eating was never one of them.
    Let me know what you thought.
    Me, I never used them for anything other than cutting into strip baits for trolling.
    Uncle made a point to say you had to eat them the same day, so we did. I thought it was ok, but the kid loved it. Basically like tuna and the kid loves tuna. DW just lightly seared them up in the old cast iron with some salt and butter.

    http://www.njsaltfish.com/index.php/bonito.html
    Bonito tuna-like, schooling fish of the tuna and mackerel family, Scombridae (order Perciformes). Bonitos are swift and powerful for their size. if you are fortunate enough to hook up with one, it will quickly take off and put up a fight. They have striped backs and silvery bellies. Like tunas, they are streamlined, with a narrow tail base, a forked tail, and a row of small finls behind the dorsal and anal fins. Bonitos are considered very good to eat.

  10. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Uncle made a point to say you had to eat them the same day, so we did. I thought it was ok, but the kid loved it. Basically like tuna and the kid loves tuna. DW just lightly seared them up in the old cast iron with some salt and butter.

    http://www.njsaltfish.com/index.php/bonito.html
    Skipjack "bonito"?

    Those are good to eat.

    The "plain bonito" not so much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12





Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 03-06-2016, 10:38 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-28-2015, 08:58 AM
  3. Making Salt Water Drinkable Just Got 99% Cheaper
    By osan in forum Freedom Living
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 02:43 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 10:18 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 10:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •