Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt water fishing setup

Salt water fishing setup

I want to get DW a whole salt water rig and tackle setup for her bday and I'm a noob on the topic. If it was lake/pond fishing I'd be fine as I spent plenty of time fishing freshwater; but she likes to fish off piers or beaches in the ocean and catch fish "you can actually eat".

If it matters, she likes fishing off piers best.

Anyways, anybody with such experience want to recommend somethings or best place to buy online? Starting from scratch...
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2017 at 08:52 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 05-16-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

hehe That looks like the ticket, Phill.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I just make the Mrs put the line in her teeth and kayak it out there.
    Do something Danke

I lean the other way though , I really eat mostly freshwater fish . Crappie , Bluegill , Pumpkinseed , Redear , Warmouth , Smallmouth etc
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I want to get DW a whole salt water rig and tackle setup for her bday and I'm a noob on the topic. If it was lake/pond fishing I'd be fine as I spent plenty of time fishing freshwater; but she likes to fish off piers or beaches in the ocean and catch fish "you can actually eat".

Anyways, anybody with such experience want to recommend somethings or best place to buy online? Starting from scratch...
    What is she catching off piers Specs ? Sounds like you could probably just get by with a saltwater reel on an ordinary heavy pole .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If it has teeth , probably want to go with a metal leader , then the hook ( bait) or lure ( reeling) .
    Do something Danke

Call or visit these guys...they used to deal in only commercial fishing supplies, and I knew the old man pretty well, but that was thirty years ago now, and I'm sure he's long dead or retired.

https://www.facebook.com/FishermensSupplyCo/

But the son took over and branched out into recreational supplies as well.

I'd get her a 6 ft spinning rod and a Penn 750 reel (or equivalent), some pre rigged #1 or #2 hooks, mixed synthetic ( for fluke and seabass and whiting) and wire leaders (that's for surf blues and snappers) and an assortment of saltwater plugs, jigs and spoons (good for all the above including tuna trolling, bottom jigging and surf casting for stripers)
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-16-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Most fishing I do is done on salt water.. Most of it from a stormbreaker, some of it from the beach. I fish for fun but I will keep any fish which look tasty and are big enough. Most fish I catch you can actually eat, it's mostly a question of size and how many you want to take home. Especially when there are schools of flat-fish in winter, I've caught hundreds in a single night, hard work. Or mackerel in summer, catching 3-5 at a time.

For bottom fishing I use a set of shimano ultracast oval blank rods, 425cm/14ft , 7oz casting weight. With Shimano ultegra 14.000 cl4 spinning reels, filled with 20lb line.

For floats or jerkbaits, stuff like that, I use a carp rod 360cm/12ft, Fox something, pretty cheap stuff but decent. Don't know the casting weight but anything up to 2.5oz feels okay when you put some force into it. I've got a smaller shimano spinning reel (5000) that I use for this rod with 40lb spiderwire (PE braided line, red).

I can give you a lot of information.. What I'd like to know is, does she like fishing actively or waiting until fish bite ?

(Question from me to other sea-anglers, why do Americans use such short rods for sea fishing ?!)
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Call or visit these guys...they used to deal in only commercial fishing supplies, and I knew the old man pretty well, but that was thirty years ago now, and I'm sure he's long dead or retired.

https://www.facebook.com/FishermensSupplyCo/

But the son took over and branched out into recreational supplies as well.

I'd get her a 6 ft spinning rod and a Penn 750 spinning rod (or equivalent), some pre rigged #1 or #2 hooks, mixed synthetic ( for fluke and seabass and whiting) and wire leaders (that's for surf blues and snappers) and an assortment of saltwater plugs, jigs and spoons (good for all the above including tuna trolling, bottom jigging and surf casting for stripers)
    Sounds about right to me , a 6 ft and a Penn and some #1's ought to work .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I lean the other way though , I really eat mostly freshwater fish . Crappie , Bluegill , Pumpkinseed , Redear , Warmouth , Smallmouth etc
    Well the state actually suggest not eating any lake fish around here as the ground is too polluted. Plus she thinks they taste like crap. She grew up with her dad coming home with fresh fish from the ocean almost every day.

What is she catching off piers Specs ? Sounds like you could probably just get by with a saltwater reel on an ordinary heavy pole .
    Hell if I know, she did most of her pier fishing in the keys, probably different critters around here. We've only gone offshore around here with her uncle. Lots of bluefish, some sea trout.

thx.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I can give you a lot of information.. What I'd like to know is, does she like fishing actively or waiting until fish bite ?
    definitely the latter, wait until they bite.

thanks all, the kid would fish every day if he could, and she only likes it fresh so figure its a good thing to start doing. I'd ask her family about it but they'd just insist on bringing fish over, giving us gear or taking us out on the boat. that's nice and all, but not the same.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2017 at 12:38 PM.

I have been using Tru Turn hooks for awhile .
    Do something Danke

The way we fish here from the beach generally involves casting a long distance.. But in any case, I can cast up to about 150 yards on good day. This is done with 5-6oz of lead. In my experience, spending a little bit on the quality of a fishing rod will help you cast much further and it will feel a lot better while you're doing it. Now you may not always have to cast far but with a longer rod you can also cast closely, it also helps when you have a rocky bottom since it becomes easier to keep the lead off the bottom. More secure, more accurate. Mine were pretty pricey but I've had them for 4-5 years and I fish about 20-30 nights a year and they still look pretty much like new, few scratches.
    "I am a bird"

Well the state actually suggest not eating any lake fish around here as the ground is too polluted. Plus she thinks they taste like crap. She grew up with her dad coming home with fresh fish from the ocean almost every day.

Hell if I know, she did most of her pier fishing in the keys, probably different critters around here. We've only gone offshore around here with her uncle. Lots of bluefish, some sea trout.

thx.

thanks all, the kid would fish every day if he could, and she only likes it fresh so figure its a good thing to start doing. I'd ask her family about it but they'd just insist on bringing fish over, giving us gear or taking us out on the boat. that's nice and all, but not the same.
    Is it deep water ? Large or small fish ? Are the fish close to the shore ?
    "I am a bird"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

thx.

Excellent . Have fun . Let us know what you catch . I have fished for bluefish before but not off a pier , sea trout should be fun .
    Do something Danke

Excellent . Have fun . Let us know what you catch . I have fished for bluefish before but not off a pier , sea trout should be fun .
    Sea trout... Never caught one. They are here but extremely rare.

You can catch nice European Seabass here, up to 3ft, generally 1-2ft. Fights really hard, very tasty fish.

Beautiful fish as well and quite expensive to buy so catching one from time to time is a cheap way to eat expensive fish.

"I am a bird"

Is it deep water ? Large or small fish ? Are the fish close to the shore ?
    Not deep off the piers, I guess they get close, the wouldn't have fishing piers I guess if nobody caught stuff off them. Guess we'll find out.

Sea trout... Never caught one. They are here but extremely rare.

You can catch nice European Seabass here, up to 3ft, generally 1-2ft. Fights really hard, very tasty fish.

Beautiful fish as well and quite expensive to buy so catching one from time to time is a cheap way to eat expensive fish.

You grill the sea bass ? I have had it like that . Not bad . Yeah , I would not buy it . Costs too much .
    Do something Danke

In Pugent Sound I would catch some smaller fish that made sounds , I used them for bait . I dunno what they are called .
    Do something Danke

Not deep off the piers, I guess they get close, the wouldn't have fishing piers I guess if nobody caught stuff off them. Guess we'll find out.
    The stormbreakers we have were built to protect the locks... Not to help people with fishing. That's why sometimes we want to cast 100yards.

I guess you could get away with a shorter rod.

Do you have any idea what kind of fish you want to catch there ?
    "I am a bird"

Danke should take me fishing for Goliath Tigerfish .
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    (Question from me to other sea-anglers, why do Americans use such short rods for sea fishing ?!)
    Because for years most of our boat fishing was done like this:

Wouldn't make much sense to sling around a bunch of 14 foot rods like that.

Also, for strength. A 14 foot rod would not survive a six hour battle like this:

We use the long rods for surf casting though:

I'd target three species for fun and food.

Stripers - Fluke - Bluefish in that order.

Nice striper a buddy of mine caught last year just outside Salem harbor in Mass.

@specsaregood

Read these guys as well

http://neangling.com/
    Thanks for that and the rest. The kid and I went on a shopping spree with the advice given and got a whole setup. And planned a shore trip in a couple weekends to break it all in. The kid explained that he didn't want to eat any "fish with families" evidently we are only allowed to eat single lonely bachelor fish.

you know you got a good one when DW suggests fishing gear might be a good gift for her bday.

Thanks for that and the rest. The kid and I went on a shopping spree with the advice given and got a whole setup. And planned a shore trip in a couple weekends to break it all in. The kid explained that he didn't want to eat any "fish with families" evidently we are only allowed to eat single lonely bachelor fish.

you know you got a good one when DW suggests fishing gear might be a good gift for her bday.
    This was noted as a good starter set for pier fishing.

http://njsaltfish.com/index.php/nj-s...ing-piers.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZPMZ4OO5ES2DQE

Not many fishing piers left in NJ, a lot of them got torn up in Sandy.

Don't know where on the shore you're going, but you can try the inlets and Manasquan and Shark River.

There are spots you can surf fish on Long Beach Island and around Barnegat inlet.

Same thing at Absecon and Cape May and Stone Harbor.

You might want to throw in a couple of crab traps as well. If you fish the bay anywhere from Manasquan south (I personally would not eat anything that came out of the Raritan, Hudson or tributaries) you can always count on catching some blue claws and you won't get skunked for the day if you find no luck with the fluke or stripers.

There's a whole slew of "head" boats out of Manasquan and Point...and every inlet from there south, if you want to head off shore without spending a fortune.

Buddy of mine used to own this vessel, fished it a couple of times.

And yes, DW is a "keeper".
    @specsaregood

I've come to learn something about taking women folk fishing.

this occurred to me while being asked to pack snorkeling fins for a fishing trip... "Are you planning on wrestling the fish to shore?" I asked.

Not many fishing piers left in NJ, a lot of them got torn up in Sandy.
    Don't know where on the shore you're going, but you can try the inlets and Manasquan and Shark River.
    We've tried out a few now with mixed results. The other day we hit a small isolated pier that DW remembers fondly going to with her dad. Had it to ourselves for a few hours in a nice quiet location. Caught a bunch of too small stripers and bass. Caught a couple of eels (that was a first, one big sucker), and a enough crabs for a dinner. I might keep the eels next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast