Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador

Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador

Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador

By Greg Miller and Greg Jaffe May 15 at 5:01 PM

President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said Trump’s disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.

The information the president relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.

The partner had not given the United States permission to share the material with Russia, and officials said Trump’s decision to do so endangers cooperation from an ally that has access to the inner workings of the Islamic State. After Trump’s meeting, senior White House officials took steps to contain the damage, placing calls to the CIA and the National Security Agency.

“This is code-word information,” said a U.S. official familiar with the matter, using terminology that refers to one of the highest classification levels used by American spy agencies. Trump “revealed more information to the Russian ambassador than we have shared with our own allies.”

The revelation comes as the president faces rising legal and political pressure on multiple Russia-related fronts. Last week, he fired FBI Director James B. Comey in the midst of a bureau investigation into possible links between the Trump campaign and Moscow. Trump’s subsequent admission that his decision was driven by “this Russia thing” was seen by critics as attempted obstruction of justice.

One day after dismissing Comey, Trump welcomed Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Ambassador Sergey Kislyak — a key figure in earlier Russia controversies — into the Oval Office. It was during that meeting, officials said, that Trump went off script and began describing details of an Islamic State terrorist threat related to the use of laptop computers on aircraft.

For almost anyone in government, discussing such matters with an adversary would be illegal. As president, Trump has broad authority to declassify government secrets, making it unlikely that his disclosures broke the law.

“The president and the foreign minister reviewed common threats from terrorist organizations to include threats to aviation,” said H.R. McMaster, the national security adviser, who participated in the meeting. “At no time were any intelligence sources or methods discussed, and no military operations were disclosed that were not already known publicly.”

The CIA declined to comment, and the NSA did not respond to requests for comment.

But officials expressed concern about Trump’s handling of sensitive information as well as his grasp of the potential consequences. Exposure of an intelligence stream that has provided critical insight into the Islamic State, they said, could hinder the United States’ and its allies’ ability to detect future threats.

“It is all kind of shocking,” said a former senior U.S. official who is close to current administration officials. “Trump seems to be very reckless and doesn’t grasp the gravity of the things he’s dealing with, especially when it comes to intelligence and national security. And it’s all clouded because of this problem he has with Russia.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...b69_story.html
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "For almost anyone in government, discussing such matters with an adversary would be illegal. As president, Trump has broad authority to declassify government secrets, making it unlikely that his disclosures broke the law."

End of story.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

The information the president relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.
    I'm gonna take a wild guess..

It's either Saudi Arabia or Israel..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Trump aide accidentally revealed Mattis phone number in photo

BY OLIVIA BEAVERS - 05/15/17 05:33 PM EDT 32

President Trump aide and longtime bodyguard Keith Schiller accidentally revealed the cellphone number of Defense Secretary James Mattis in a photo sent to the press.

The Washington Post published the photo to accompany a Thursday article about Schiller's role in delivering the termination letter to then-FBI Director James Comey.

The photo showed Schiller walking with the president around the White House grounds while carrying a stack of papers. On the stack of papers, a yellow sticky note reportedly listed Mattis’s name and personal phone number.

A reader, who noticed the inadvertently leaked number, called the Post to notify them.

Post reporter Rachel Manteuffel then blew up the photo, called the number and said she reached his voicemail.

“I called. I got the voice mail. It was him,” she wrote.

The Post said it has replaced the article's photo with another image.

Schiller, who reportedly has the president’s trust, made his way into the public spotlight when he punched a protestor outside of Trump Tower.

The story comes the same day the Post reported that Trump revealed highly classified information to top Russian diplomats last week.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...umber-in-photo
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I'm gonna take a wild guess..

It's either Saudi Arabia or Israel..
    Or Turkey, maybe Trump wants to slap their hands by giving Putin the Info.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...53862281699331

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...53862281699331
    "Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump
    The real scandal here is that classified information is illegally given out by "intelligence" like candy. Very un-American!"

If POTUS decides it is in the National interest to share Info with a Diplomatic Partner that is not "giving it out like candy", the unmasking scandal and Obummers Sharing with every alphabet soup agency were such cases.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...92420043157504

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...98588201594880

But officials expressed concern about Trump’s handling of sensitive information as well as his grasp of the potential consequences. Exposure of an intelligence stream that has provided critical insight into the Islamic State, they said, could hinder the United States’ and its allies’ ability to detect future threats.

“It is all kind of shocking,” said a former senior U.S. official who is close to current administration officials. “Trump seems to be very reckless and doesn’t grasp the gravity of the things he’s dealing with, especially when it comes to intelligence and national security. And it’s all clouded because of this problem he has with Russia.”
    Trump? Reckless and ignorant? No...

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    My money says the TV character gets rolled by the professional diplomat.
    ...like candy from a fat, toupeed baby.

https://twitter.com/danmericaCNN/sta...47264725938177

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...92420043157504

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...98588201594880
    No help here, try telling me how this actually relates to Trumps Diplomatic actions.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://twitter.com/danmericaCNN/sta...47264725938177
    Dan Merica‏Verified account @danmericaCNN

Deputy NSA Dina Powell to @Acosta: "This story is false. The president only discussed the common threats that both countries faced."

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump? Reckless and ignorant? No...

...like candy from a fat, toupeed baby.

Deputy NSA Dina Powell to @Acosta: "This story is false. The president only discussed the common threats that both countries faced."

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

O, a government official denied that there was wrongdoing within the government?

Well, I'm convinced...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    O, a government official denied that there was wrongdoing within the government?

Well, I'm convinced...
    Because the Media have so much more credibility.

No wrongdoing anyway, POTUS has the authority.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Did Trump tell the Russians how the Obama administration created ISIL ?
    Do something Danke

And your point is?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Because the Media have so much more credibility.
    They had credibility when reporting on Clinton's leaking of classified information, right?

Funny how they only lose credibility when criticizing God Emperor.

No wrongdoing anyway, POTUS has the authority.
    Whether it was illegal or not is beside the point.

Kicking and screaming.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

https://twitter.com/justinsink/statu...34428763168769

They had credibility when reporting on Clinton's leaking of classified information, right?

Funny how they only lose credibility when criticizing God Emperor.
    The Dem dominated Media have much less credibility when attacking non Dems.

Whether it was illegal or not is beside the point.
    You mean was it wise?

Only Dump could know.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You mean was it wise?

Only Dump could know.
    In Dump We Trust

...no, more plausible that Trump got Trumped by his own reckless, stupid mouth, as he has so many many times before.

It seems like the leak itself is not especially important; it's interesting primarily in that it reflects Trump's incompetence.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...97515248275456

In Dump We Trust.
    Not I, but You lose credibility when you grasp at straws and assume that the worst interpretation of events is self-evident.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Not I, but You lose credibility when you grasp at straws and assume that the worst interpretation of events is self-evident.
    The worst interpretation of events would be that Trump intentionally undermined US national security to benefit his Russian pals.

The more charitable (and, in this case, more plausible) interpretation is the one I offered: i.e. that he's just a bumbling jackass.

I mean, we already know he's a bumbling jackass in general; it's hardly a leap.

https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/864250328438460416

The worst interpretation of events would be that Trump intentionally undermined US national security to benefit his Russian pals.

The more charitable (and, in this case, more plausible) interpretation is the one I offered: i.e. that he's just a bumbling jackass.

I mean, we already know he's a bumbling jackass in general; it's hardly a leap.
    Maybe Russia is not our enemy?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Maybe Russia is not our enemy?
    What's your point?

Are you implying that Trump did leak the information to help Russia, but this is good?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast