Thread: Maxime Bernier: Margaret Thatcher & Ron Paul are my political role models

Talking Maxime Bernier: Margaret Thatcher & Ron Paul are my political role models

I know I keep harping on this subject but it's 2 weeks out from the Party Leadership election and so many people are unaware of this rEVOLution of libertarian ideas happening in Canada. This good man is going to be the next Prime Minister of Canada and he deserves more fans on this forum. Let it not be said that you weren't warned.

At first blush, Mr. Bernier is a typical politician. He wears nifty suits, loves to work a room and is into long-distance running. The bilingual 54-year-old Quebecker has two teenage daughters, a law degree and experience in the private sector as vice-president at a major insurance company. After keeping his private life to himself for years, Mr. Bernier has recently started to present his girlfriend of the past seven years, community worker Catherine Letarte, in his campaign literature.

But what most distinguishes this would-be prime minister is his profound libertarian bent, a philosophy that seeks to maximize individual freedom in all spheres of a person's life. Mr. Bernier said his main political role models are former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher and ex-Texas GOP congressman Ron Paul. He's also a fan of thinkers such as writer Ayn Rand and economist Friedrich Hayek, whose ideas pepper his speeches and influence his platform.

Quoting Mr. Hayek in a 2009 blog posting, Mr. Bernier said that "liberty and responsibility" are the two central planks of his political philosophy. In his Ottawa office, he keeps a wooden plaque with the inscription "John Galt" in large letters. The name refers to a character in Ms. Rand's 1957 novel Atlas Shrugged, which rails against government and advocates self-interest as a key driver to creating a better world.

"I like to describe myself as a conservative who believes in free markets and individual freedoms," Mr. Bernier said in the interview. "I have no problem being described as a libertarian on economic issues."

More at link https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...beandmail.com&
    "There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that I think, was the handle. That sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave." ~ HST

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A bright spot in an otherwise dismal political climate, thanks for posting

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    I think it's great by the way. Really gives you hope for the future knowing theres someone within your own borders who understands what your looking for in a candidate.
    Last edited by Lamp; 05-13-2017 at 04:27 PM.