Thread: Investing in AI

Investing in AI

...been thinking about this lately.

Here's an article highlighting some of the big names in AI.

http://money.usnews.com/investing/ar...-betting-on-ai

Reliable, pure-play artificial intelligence stocks are tough to find in this day and age.

Plenty of blue-chip companies understand how vital AI will be in the future, but because it's such a nascent area, other parts of their business are still the real moneymakers. That's OK, though. While the following 10 companies might not be pure AI plays, many of them may be close to that level in just a few years as machine learning and deep learning become more sophisticated, useful, and impactful.

Each following company is betting big on AI, and many of them are relying on artificial intelligence in important parts of their business already.

Facebook
    (ticker: FB). Facebook aims to build the "best AI lab in the world," where today's top tech talent can solve the most challenging issues in the field. Its research has already paid off – Facebook has an AI-powered personal assistant, M, and facial recognition features that can sort, recognize, and tag entire groups of friends. M, offered within Facebook Messenger, can already perform a number of useful tasks like booking flights and contesting cable bills, as well as some not-so-useful ones like drawing amateur "artistic" sketches. Still, Facebook, which began in a Harvard dorm room in 2004, is now without a doubt one of the top artificial intelligence stocks in the world.

Amazon.com (AMZN). Amazon might traditionally be considered a hybrid between a retail and tech stock, but in time, "AI company" may be the most honest descriptor. Amazon's Echo home speaker comes equipped with Alexa, an AI-powered virtual assistant that can recognize and answer questions, read news stories, read audiobooks, report the weather forecast, play music from Amazon Prime Music, Spotify, and Pandora (P), and of course order a lot of Amazon products. Alexa gets smarter every day, too – through late February 2017, 10,000 new features and skills had been added to the platform – up from 1,000 just eight months before. With millions of Echos in circulation, it's one of the most successful consumer-facing AI products on the planet.

Alphabet (GOOG, GOOGL). Alphabet is in many ways a quintessential AI company: Google search itself is partially powered by RankBrain, a deep learning technology that helps Google better understand queries and deliver relevant responses.On top of that, Google now has its own answer to the Amazon Echo, dubbed Google Home; its driverless car technology is powered by machine learning, and a Google-owned machine named AlphaGo beat the world champion in Go, an ancient, complex Chinese strategic board game, in 2016. AlphaGo's win was a victory for artificial intelligence as monumental (if not more monumental) than IBM's 1997 chess triumph over Garry Kasparov.

Apple
    (AAPL). Apple's Siri virtual assistant software can do quite a lot: It can tweet and text on command, set a timer or alarm clock, make reservations, calculate one's caloric intake, and, even hail an Uber. Considering Apple may be working on its own electric, autonomous vehicle – and that it could decide to put those cars on the streets to look for fares – there's a chance this seamless integration with Uber will be temporary. On Apple's flagship product, the iPhone, some modest AI is already going on behind the scenes: Facial recognition in photos and suggested responses to texts are two examples – besides Siri – of in-phone AI.

Microsoft Corp. (MSFT). Microsoft also acknowledges the value of artificial intelligence – and is betting on it accordingly. In 2016, MSFT acquired SwiftKey, which analyzes data to predict what a user is typing and what they'll type next, for a reported $250 million. Since SwiftKey uses AI to do this, Microsoft also bought SwiftKey's intellectual property and expertise. Microsoft is also wagering on a future heavy on chatbots, which will understand natural language and should dramatically increase the utility and functionality of mobile devices. There's still a lot to learn, though: In March 2016, Microsoft's Twitter (TWTR) chatbot Tay famously had to be taken down – after less than a day online – after it began imitating hate speech users directed its way.

Nvidia Corp. (NVDA). In many ways, Nvidia is the most pure-play artificial intelligence company on this list. The chipmaker decided early in the game to invest heavily in advancing the AI field by building chips tailor-made for deep learning. One of its prominent AI-centric chips, the Tesla P100 GPU, cost $2 billion to develop and can work 12 times faster than Nvidia's previous top-of-the-line model. That's a major investment for a company with $6.9 billion in revenue over the last year, but if it continues building out its lead and forces larger rivals like Intel Corp. (INTC) to play catch-up, it may reap huge rewards for shareholders.

International Business Corp.
    (IBM). IBM's Watson is one of the most recognizable names in artificial intelligence. Walloping two of the best "Jeopardy!" players of all time put Watson on the map, but IBM has much more practical – and profitable – plans for how to make the best of Watson's deft data skills. Watson can read 40 million documents in 15 seconds, understanding grammar and context throughout, and can then answer multi-part questions on the material. It can help businesses analyze vast amounts of data, determine if there are problems, how to solve them, and where opportunities lie. In health care, IBM says Watson can see previously hidden data, improving quality and efficiency.
    Continue Reading

Thoughts?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    IBM and Nvidia. They are partnering up to crush it in 2018.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    IBM and Nvidia. They are partnering up to crush it in 2018.
    Knowing little about the industry, IBM would have been my choice as well: Watson.

Also, considering how politically explosive this tech is going to be, a company's political connections are a major asset.

FWIW Buffett and Munger talking about owning IBM as a bet on AI.

AI going rogue. Will we even be able to detect it?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    AI going rogue. Will we even be able to detect it?
    We'll just build a second AI to keep an eye on the first (duh).

...on a serious note, I'm not at all looking foreward to AI.

It's going to be a problem, one hopes not an extinction level problem...

That said, somebody's going to make a $#@!ton of money on it, might as well be us.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    ...been thinking about this lately.

Here's an article highlighting some of the big names in AI.

http://money.usnews.com/investing/ar...-betting-on-ai

Continue Reading

Thoughts?
    These are hangers on, riding the coat tails of the real applications pioneers, one of which for whom I worked.

Because people tend to be what they are, AI presents a threat 100x greater than any benefit it might yield us. I know because I have lived it up to my eyeballs in $#@! so secret, members of the same teams were highly discouraged from so much as having lunch together. Compartmentalization like that I'd never seen before, nor since, and we all worked under the threat of a lifetime in a dungeon if we spoke about what we knew. Ever. I can only speculate as to how much of what we knew in 2001 has leaked out by one means or another to commercial firms. I'm sure some of it has, as people rotated out of that black hole of secrets and others like it, into the "real" world.

So for 16 years I've held my tongue and shall continue to do so until the Reaper comes for me. But what I will say, and have said before in this forum, is that anything you care to imagine, I would bet money I don't have that it falls short of the reality. It was truly that impressive.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I just want a AI robot that I can say, Make me a shed, that is 4 x 10, and go get your source materials from that patch of woods over there, and after you have that done, build me a brick grill from the local clay in the area. and then mow the lawn. Thanks mr. robot. Oh, and then go do the house shopping please.

After that you can relax on your charger and talk to the other robots for the night.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    I just want a AI robot that I can say, Make me a shed, that is 4 x 10, and go get your source materials from that patch of woods over there, and after you have that done, build me a brick grill from the local clay in the area. and then mow the lawn. Thanks mr. robot. Oh, and then go do the house shopping please.

After that you can relax on your charger and talk to the other robots for the night.
    You forgot the very important part: file the necessary paperwork and send it to the government as otherwise no dinero.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

AI sex-slave robots, however, seem a grandly suitable application of the technology, if you're into that sort of thing.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    AI sex-slave robots, however, seem a grandly suitable application of the technology, if you're into that sort of thing.
    Who isn't?

AI will most certainly be a shift in the very fabric of what it means to be human. Just look at Musk's NeuraLink program. In a few years, it is not unthinkable that our minds will be 'hacked' akin to the matrix. Whoever wields the power of AI will control the world... and that is not a misstatement or hyperbole.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    AI will most certainly be a shift in the very fabric of what it means to be human. Just look at Musk's NeuraLink program. In a few years, it is not unthinkable that our minds will be 'hacked' akin to the matrix. Whoever wields the power of AI will control the world... and that is not a misstatement or hyperbole.
    Give what I've known in the past, you are close to truth, if not directly atop it... and I suspect you are.

The big issue will be mind/machine interfacing. When we were doing our big project for the MBA, our team got the gem of gems: function Near Infra Red scanning. You can literally tell when a person is lying. Drexel research scientists invented the tech with a lot of $$ from the US Army (how surprising) and they wanted someone to develop a business around it. Our business plan was the hit among the lot and I was all for it. None of my teammates were interested and they refused to release copyright to me. Assenholes.

Anyhow, I suspect something along the lines of fNIR tech will be used to "read" the thoughts. Not sure what will be required to send commands to the brain, or at least perception messages, which is the basis of the idea of "matrix".

We tread a scary and dangerous path and I have no confidence in the possibility of it ending well.

VERI worth investing on the short side at 50.