Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sessions moves to lengthen drug sentences

Sessions moves to lengthen drug sentences

MAGA

"This policy affirms our responsibility to enforce the law, is moral and just, and produces consistency," Jeff Sessions writes. | AP Photo

AG rolls back Obama-era policy that allowed many to escape stiff mandatory minimums
    By JOSH GERSTEIN 05/12/17

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is reversing one of the central elements of the Obama administration's criminal justice reform agenda: a Justice Department policy that led to prosecutors in drug cases often filing charges in a way that avoided triggering mandatory minimum sentences in federal law.

Sessions is withdrawing a 2013 directive from Attorney General Eric Holder that instructed federal prosecutors not to specify the amount of drugs involved when charging low-level and non-violent drug offenders. That policy effectively gave judges discretion to set sentences lower than the mandatory punishments ranging from five years to life in prison federal law dictates when someone is convicted of a crime involving a certain quantity of illegal drugs.

In a memo distributed to federal prosecutors nationwide Thursday, Sessions said the department default in future cases will return to a previous policy of filing the most serious charge available against a defendant under the provable facts.

"It is a core principle that prosecutors should charge and pursue the most serious, readily provable offense," Sessions said in the directive, dated Wednesday.

The attorney general suggested that moves to lessen the impact of mandatory minimums should come from Congress, rather than being unilaterally implemented by the Executive Branch.

"This policy affirms our responsibility to enforce the law, is moral and just, and produces consistency. This policy fully utilizes the tools Congress has given us," he wrote.

Sessions' move bucks a growing trend in recent years—in Washington and in states across the country—to abandon some of the harshest sentencing policies created in the 1980s-era war on drugs. Many experts say those laws and sentencing rules led to drug offenders spending decades in prison or even receiving life behind bars, when lesser sentences would have been adequate. The laws also ballooned the prison population, leading to costs that were unsustainable for some state governments.

continued...hxxp://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/12/mandatory-minimum-drug-sentences-jeff-sessions-238295
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    stiff mandatory minimums
    Did someone say, "stiff mandatory minimums"?!

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Did someone say, "stiff mandatory minimums"?!

Ewwww, it's "frothy"...
    "The Patriarch"

... and this is progress????

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

The laws also ballooned the prison population, leading to costs that were unsustainable for some state governments.
    Better buy correction company stocks and profit from all the cancer patience put in jail for smoking pot.

Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post
    Better buy correction company stocks and profit from all the cancer patience put in jail for smoking pot.
    as far as i know, no one is put in jail for pot these days in Washington State unless you consider a DUI for smoking weed as a base line.

do you have a source for this pot causing cancer comment?....

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    as far as i know, no one is put in jail for pot these days in Washington State unless you consider a DUI for smoking weed as a base line.

I think he meant smoking pot for chemo cancer treatment.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Good work Trump supporters! MAGA! Increasing drug sentences will expose how much of a failure the WOD is, if he goes for capitol punishment it will expose it even faster and lead to its End!

/sarc
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Good work Trump supporters! MAGA! Increasing drug sentences will expose how much of a failure the WOD is, if he goes for capitol punishment it will expose it even faster and lead to its End!

/sarc
    pot good.

heroin bad.

Sessions wants to go after big time dealers of heroin. I know he mentioned weed, but i think this is to help legitimate growers and sellers in this countrty. Eliminate the foreign competition that smuggles questionable weed that may not be that healthy to use due to growing standards, or lack thereof.

pot good.

heroin bad.

Sessions wants to go after big time dealers of heroin. I know he mentioned weed, but i think this is to help legitimate growers and sellers in this countrty. Eliminate the foreign competition that smuggles questionable weed that may not be that healthy to use due to growing standards, or lack thereof.
    Yes. We need to Make the War on Drugs Great Again. If we catch them all and deport the bad ones and only let the good ones back in we will finally have successful prohibition policy that works.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Yes. We need to Make the War on Drugs Great Again. If we catch them all and deport the bad ones and only let the good ones back in we will finally have successful prohibition policy that works.
    well, in Washington State, the people have spoken.

he ain't gonna do $#@! about weed.

pot good.

heroin bad.

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

weed is a billion dollar industry....

Sessions ain't gonna win this one.

I was just thinking this morning on the golf course that what this country really needs is more people in jail for longer periods of time. /maga

pot good.

heroin bad.

I know you're local, but the highlighted portion sounds like a politician justifying the ridiculous bureaucracy and tax system that keeps good weed selling for over $10/gram. as a local myself, I can honestly say that I have never heard of anyone smoking unhealthy weed. bad, overpriced weed, yes.

heroin may be bad. the drug war is worse.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Hopefully, Sessions 46dd chess gambit to get lawmakers to change drug laws will play out in the long run.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by surf View Post
    as a local myself, I can honestly say that I have never heard of anyone smoking unhealthy weed. bad, overpriced weed, yes.
    It's legal in California now too, and I can attest that brick weed from Mexico is often dubious quality.

As for the thread topic, this is definitely a disappointment, but like phill said hopefully it will get congress to act and change the laws.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I'm torn on this issue.

On one hand, I believe people should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies, including take any drug they please.

On the other hand, I've seen so many lives, so many families, ruined by drugs.

I feel like in giving people freedom, we're also giving them the rope to hang themselves with.

It's a complex issue, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by surf View Post
    I know you're local, but the highlighted portion sounds like a politician justifying the ridiculous bureaucracy and tax system that keeps good weed selling for over $10/gram. as a local myself, I can honestly say that I have never heard of anyone smoking unhealthy weed. bad, overpriced weed, yes.

heroin may be bad. the drug war is worse.
    do you have evidence imported weed is not full of pesticides and chemical fertilizers?....

someone close to me is a level 4 grower in Washington State, and all the weed he grows is suitable for vegans.
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 05-12-2017 at 10:40 AM.

The war o drugs is like communism, it just hasn't been done right yet. We just need the right people in charge.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by LoveRonPaul View Post
    I'm torn on this issue.

On one hand, I believe people should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies, including take any drug they please.

I feel like in giving people freedom, we're also giving them the rope to hang themselves with.

Not complex at all. People should be free to hang themselves with any rope they choose. When it comes to freedom there either is or there is not.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Not complex at all. People should be free to hang themselves with any rope they choose. When it comes to freedom there either is or there is not.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phill4paul again.

I'm torn on this issue.

Not complex. You cannot "give" people freedom. You can only take it away. Freedom is the natural state if governance and oppression is removed. And who'd to say they don't take that rope and build themselves an escape ladder? Or maybe a lasso? To paraphrase Jefferson, I'd rather deal with idiots hurting themselves than idiots hurting me!

Rather see Sessions neck lengthened.....

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm torn on this issue.

No. I mean unless the fact that some people use guns to do crime makes you torn between being a second amendment activist and a Moms Demand lackey.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I'm torn on this issue.

Well drugs are illegal, and people's lives are still not only being ruined by drugs, but even more by the war on drugs.

Ron Paul asked a crowd full of people in South Carolina during a debate a long time ago whether they would go out and do heroin if it were made legal, if they needed the government to tell them what to do, and he got a huge applause.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    I think he meant smoking pot for chemo cancer treatment.
    Yes, I meant people using pot to tolerate chemo treatment.

I understand that no one in Washington state is going to jail over pot right now, but it is still a schedule 1 drug. If the feds want to, they could start enforcing federal drug laws. I think Jeff Sessions wants to: http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...ijuana-214501?fb_comment_id=1171919976191177_1172159776167197&co mment_id=1171964592853382&reply_comment_id=1172159 776167197#f82799f7cdc629

We don't have enough people in jail yet. Gotta stop that soaring crime rate.

https://twitter.com/EricHolder/statu...Fid%3D47371598
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-12-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I was just thinking this morning on the golf course that what this country really needs is more people in jail for longer periods of time. /maga
    I was thinking the same thing myself...more police officers too...need more police officers.

I'm torn on this issue.

Not torn in the least.

We have an absence of freedom now, yet people still, as you noted, destroy themselves with drugs.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast