Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How I (Inadvertently) Got 5 High Schools (and 5 accounts) Banned from RPF

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I wasn't annoyed but I doubt anyone is going to accept a pledge from a high school troll, lol. (not you, your friends)

Fancy rats was my favorite, btw. That kid is going places.
    Fancy Rat is Rattus norvegicus . In England these odd colored rats were kept after being purchased from rat catchers and breed and sold as pets while the others were used for bloodsport ( terriers killed them while bets were placed ) . The Queens rat catcher was a guy named Jack Black .
    Do something Danke

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Jersey City, NJ

Should fancy rats be revived?

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Johnson View Post
    Have the Rats been repping your other five posts ?
    Do something Danke

Maybe people with sadistic tendencies should be allowed to kill animals instead of joining the military, police or becoming politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    One time I inadvertently shot two ducks with one shot and it put me over my daily limit of two and I did not report myself .

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Johnson View Post
    This sounds like the best thread on RPFs right now.

But... pretty sure it's better as a symbol, an idealization, than the actual, mundane, real-life thread. Much like Ron himself.

So let's just continue discussing here, at the proper meta-level, the Platonic Ideal of Fancy Rat Threads.

Quote Originally Posted by not.your.average.joe View Post
    First, some background information. I am a sophomore at one of five high schools on a campus. The campus has 1 wi-fi connection for students, and 1 wi-fi connection for guests. In my free time every day, during the hour lunch/study period that I get, I browse RPF. I can also be seen reading 'The Revolution : A Manifesto' by Ron Paul and recently 'Nullification' by Tom Woods. Most of my friends know that I have a RPF account, and they also know that I am a libertarian.

Now, for the explanation. One of my numbskull friends (the term numbskull being used with the utmost respect here) informed me that he was considering making a RPF account. I looked at him for a second, and then said "You're going to get banned." It's just something that I knew for a fact. This friend is not the type of person who is interested in liberty, he doesn't even know who Ron Paul is. And he is the type of person who would troll a site that his friend values.

Remember the random troll threads that appeared over the last few days? Yeah, I think you know where I'm going with this.

TacoBell0n0 made the account and was banned 3 hours after his first post (Age of Consent to 14). That I know of, this is not the belief of my friend - his intent was to make a controversial statement and start an argument.

As TacoBell0n0 was making his second thread (something about Eminem suing New Zealand), another extremely intelligent and devoted liberty lover friend of mine was creating his account, hoping to join in the "fun". That account was banned before it was even verified.

And so began a series of accounts being created and banned. Numbskull made, in total, 3 accounts - all banned. Mr. Intelligent stopped at two accounts, after his second was banned for posting a thread about Fancy Rats. That makes 5 accounts, all created and banned within two days, 3 of the 5 using new e-mail accounts made solely for the purpose of trolling.

This morning I logged into RPF before the first bell to make sure Numbskull and Mr. Intelligent hadn't wrecked any more havoc over night. I was met by a notification informing me that the current IP address was banned by the admins. The IP address used by 5 high schools. The guest wi-fi was also blocked (Numbskull checked).

And that is how I, by spreading the news about libertarianism and Ron Paul, got 5 accounts and 5 high schools banned from RPF. Is the change good? Hard to say. I can no longer browse the forums during school hours, but the troll accounts are temporarily discouraged. In fact, Numbskull decided to create a legitimate account that he can use to catch up on news and, more importantly, receive valued opinions on aforementioned news. And Mr. Intelligent? He experienced something like an addiction as he repeatedly checked the forums to see if anyone commented on his Fancy Rats post. Chances are he will try to create a legitimate account as well. Hopefully they don't get banned again. And through the whole experience, many other students and teachers learned about the forum and who Ron Paul is. Some classmates also expressed interest in joining the forums, or at least browsing as a guest. I can only hope they continue to seek for information, but if they do, it will have to be done at home.
    Your prose is way above average for a high school sophomore.

Seems you need better friends.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Also, how can 5 high schools all use the same campus. If they use the same campus, doesn't that make them all one high school?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Also, how can 5 high schools all use the same campus. If they use the same campus, doesn't that make them all one high school?
    The campus is a vocational campus. There are 5 schools on the campus, each with a different vocational specialty. My high school is focused on science, math, engineering, and technology, the STEM curriculum.

I would really like to believe they are different high schools, but as of late they have been trying to 'merge' the classes and make it more 'fair'.
    *Red alert* *Red alert*- the words 'make it more fair' have set off a warning alarm.
    You see, my specific high school is the oldest of the five, and therefore we usually get what we want regarding field trips, budget, etc. The other schools, administration and staff alike, enjoy spending their time complaining about how it isn't 'fair' and how they should get what we have, or (and this is the scary bit) how we should lose our privileges so that everyone is equal. And the campus administration eats it all up.

For example, my specific high school has always had a Junior/Senior prom. The other schools, being built later, have a singular Senior prom, all together. Naturally, the collective prom is not as nice as my school's prom. I'm sure you could probably lecture me on incentives in the market, so I include this next sentence for my friend who recently joined the forums. There is no incentive for one group or person to pay for another group or person's leisure when they get nothing in return. Well, the other 4 schools complained and so, starting in two years (my senior year), the entire campus will have one collective senior prom. The reasons the administration gave were:
    A. My high school is regarded on campus as higher than the other 4 because we get our own prom, and because we are better, we must be punished (I think they used those exact words /sarc)
    B. It isn't fair to people who have significant others in the other four schools, because those people would either have to pay for 2 proms, or sacrifice a prom. Even one of the liberal freshmen, when told this, bluntly pointed out that the person would go to whichever they wanted to.
    C. None of the other 4 schools can have their own prom, so it isn't fair that we should get our own prom. Based on what I've read of your posts, I don't believe I need to say anything about this argument.
    D. It would promote inter school relationships. Nobody in the other 4 schools is thinking about relationships, they are thinking that they are entitled to equality in outcome on top of equality in opportunity.
    And the scariest thing about the whole situation is that the other four schools are happy that we lose our prom. They still don't have their own proms, and the quality of the collective prom will only go down as more parties lacking incentive are forced to provide for others, but they feel as if they have won something. I don't get it.

I tell you, the world is collapsing around me.

Thanks for reading my rant, and thanks for the comment about my prose. Hope I cleared up the confusion.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by not.your.average.joe View Post
    The campus is a vocational campus. There are 5 schools on the campus, each with a different vocational specialty. My high school is focused on science, math, engineering, and technology, the STEM curriculum.

I would really like to believe they are different high schools, but as of late they have been trying to 'merge' the classes and make it more 'fair'.
    *Red alert* *Red alert*- the words 'make it more fair' have set off a warning alarm.
    You see, my specific high school is the oldest of the five, and therefore we usually get what we want regarding field trips, budget, etc. The other schools, administration and staff alike, enjoy spending their time complaining about how it isn't 'fair' and how they should get what we have, or (and this is the scary bit) how we should lose our privileges so that everyone is equal. And the campus administration eats it all up.

For example, my specific high school has always had a Junior/Senior prom. The other schools, being built later, have a singular Senior prom, all together. Naturally, the collective prom is not as nice as my school's prom. I'm sure you could probably lecture me on incentives in the market, so I include this next sentence for my friend who recently joined the forums. There is no incentive for one group or person to pay for another group or person's leisure when they get nothing in return. Well, the other 4 schools complained and so, starting in two years (my senior year), the entire campus will have one collective senior prom. The reasons the administration gave were:
    A. My high school is regarded on campus as higher than the other 4 because we get our own prom, and because we are better, we must be punished (I think they used those exact words /sarc)
    B. It isn't fair to people who have significant others in the other four schools, because those people would either have to pay for 2 proms, or sacrifice a prom. Even one of the liberal freshmen, when told this, bluntly pointed out that the person would go to whichever they wanted to.
    C. None of the other 4 schools can have their own prom, so it isn't fair that we should get our own prom. Based on what I've read of your posts, I don't believe I need to say anything about this argument.
    D. It would promote inter school relationships. Nobody in the other 4 schools is thinking about relationships, they are thinking that they are entitled to equality in outcome on top of equality in opportunity.
    And the scariest thing about the whole situation is that the other four schools are happy that we lose our prom. They still don't have their own proms, and the quality of the collective prom will only go down as more parties lacking incentive are forced to provide for others, but they feel as if they have won something. I don't get it.

I tell you, the world is collapsing around me.

Thanks for reading my rant, and thanks for the comment about my prose. Hope I cleared up the confusion.
    Aren't there hotter girls at the other schools? I mean, c'mon, you're in a STEM school..

Seems like it would be better to have a Prom with all the hot girls in the non-STEM schools.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12