Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scientists Spot Grisly First Among Deer

Scientists Spot Grisly First Among Deer

(NEWSER) – When scientists dropped a human carcass in the woods to study its decomposition, they expected the usual suspects such as vultures and raccoons to show up to speed things along. Their cameras, however, also picked up an unexpected visitor: a deer. In fact, it's the first time a deer has been documented scavenging on human bones, reports National Geographic. It actually happened on two separate occasions during the experiment at the Forensic Anthropology Research Facility in San Marcos, Texas, a locale perhaps better known as a "body farm." Researchers published their findings in Journal of Forensic Sciences, and they could help crime investigators down the road. Among other things, they found that the deer leave marks on the bones that are "distinct" from other creatures.

Specifically, the deer damage the ends of bones, "where the zigzag motions of their jaws leave behind a 'stripped, forked pattern in the bone,'" notes Popular Science, citing the authors. The thinking is that the deer would scavenge dry human bones that have been in the woods for months, perhaps trying to get minerals from them in scarce winter months. In the experiment, the deer were spotted in January dining on bones placed there in July. Deer are generally considered to be plant-munchers, but they have been spotted eating the remains of fish, rabbits, and birds on rare occasions. Now, another creature can be added to that list.
    http://www.newser.com/story/242428/s...mong-deer.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I suspect they are after the cartilage on the ends of the bones. That stuff is valuable in rebuilding more cartilage.

scientists dropped a human carcass in the woods to study its decomposition
    Hm, that was the weird part to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I suspect they are after the cartilage on the ends of the bones. That stuff is valuable in rebuilding more cartilage.
    Squirrels eat deer antlers for the same reason. We found a decent sized rack in our yard and mounted it on the boys tree house. Not long after, I started hearing sawing noise outside and thought maybe my kids were doing some rogue carpentry but it turned out to be a squirrel sitting on the antlers eating them. Now, there's barely anything left of them.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Squirrels eat deer antlers for the same reason. We found a decent sized rack in our yard and mounted it on the boys tree house. Not long after, I started hearing sawing noise outside and thought maybe my kids were doing some rogue carpentry but it turned out to be a squirrel sitting on the antlers eating them. Now, there's barely anything left of them.
    Wow, a backyard full of squirrels with unsprained joints.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Well, those things are made out of piano wire and golf ball rubber, and perhaps some deer antler too.

I know, I tried to pet one once.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Well, those things are made out of piano wire and golf ball rubber, and perhaps some deer antler too.

I know, I tried to pet one once.
    They're crazy. I've seen them hang from one side of the antler and reach across to grind on the other antler. o_O

Are you saying you don't believe me? It's true and very common, actually. You can hear the sawing noise in the video.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1037228

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    It's ok, they're scientists. Don't try this at home.
    "The Patriarch"

It's ok, they're scientists. Don't try this at home.
    "Where's Dave?"

"Oh, he's decomposing in the woods or something, I think the deer are eating him and $#@!, its for science."

It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Another reason squirrels gnaw on all kinds of stuff is to grind their teeth down. Their teeth will just keep growing otherwise if they're not eating a lot of hard stuff like acorns, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    Another reason squirrels gnaw on all kinds of stuff is to grind their teeth down. Their teeth will just keep growing otherwise if they're not eating a lot of hard stuff like acorns, etc.
    Indeed. That's what my dad told me when I asked him about the squirrels gnawing on them. I think it's both.

scientists dropped a human carcass in the woods to study its decomposition
    It's for forensics research and the like.

It's one of the ways you can bequeath your body to science after you die. (I might actually do this.)

Seems more natural - and certainly more useful - than sealing corpses up in boxes and planting them ...

5 Places to Leave a Body (at a Body Farm)
    http://forensicoutreach.com/library/...t-a-body-farm/
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

It's one of the ways you can bequeath your body to science after you die. (I might actually do this.)

Seems more natural - and certainly more useful - than sealing corpses up in boxes and planting them ...
    Well, that's not weird at all. Spoiled bananas being eaten by beasts is normal, seeing your fruity corpse in a coffin would be weird...
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I lived under the assumption they used human analogs, pigs.
    Never knew they also used actual human corpses.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I lived under the assumption they used human analogs, pigs.
    Never knew they also used actual human corpses.
    They do, there are quite a few around.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, that's not weird at all. Spoiled bananas being eaten by beasts is normal, seeing your fruity corpse in a coffin would be weird...
    Well, at least you could fit the coffin in a hearse. And you'd only need one pall bearer.

For a giraffe, on the other hand ...

do it, why wait?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I'm not keen on the idea of being buried. Not that I think it will matter to me but I feel more at peace knowing I won't be put in a fancy box and stuck in the ground. It seems so lonely and I hate cemeteries (they smell weird). I plan on being cremated, having my kids stick my ashes in a barrel and sending me over Niagara Falls. The very first time I went there, I went to McDonalds (Canadian side) and they had pictures and stories of all the people who went over the falls. I found it fascinating and decided it was something I wanted to do but I'm too much of a chicken $#@! to do it alive so I figured I would settle for already dead. I told my children my wishes and warned them not get caught putting me in the water. I think we found a good spot on the Three Sisters Islands. Gotta be careful where you go in, I don't want to be stuck on a rock in the Niagara River for eternity.

My oldest son came up with a pretty good idea, too. He thinks I should have a Viking burial in our pool. I liked that idea until I started talking about how I wanted the raft built and he told me he planned on sticking me on the raft I already have. I want a cool raft and I would like some of that stuff in the fire that makes it all different colors.

Anyway, none of that will happen if I die before my mom because she says I won't get into Heaven if I do either of those things. She's going to make sure I have a proper burial. Plus, she's worried I won't have a body in the afterlife. I told her if God can make one body, he can make me another one and I'll look fresh and she'll be all rotten. I call it Suzanimal 2.0 and have a few suggestions for upgrades. Of course, all that is dependent on me getting into Heaven which is a long shot, at best.

I'm not keen on the idea of being buried. Not that I think it will matter to me but I feel more at peace knowing I won't be put in a fancy box and stuck in the ground. It seems so lonely and I hate cemeteries (they smell weird). I plan on being cremated, having my kids stick my ashes in a barrel and sending me over Niagara Falls. The very first time I went there, I went to McDonalds (Canadian side) and they had pictures and stories of all the people who went over the falls. I found it fascinating and decided it was something I wanted to do but I'm too much of a chicken $#@! to do it alive so I figured I would settle for already dead. I told my children my wishes and warned them not get caught putting me in the water. I think we found a good spot on the Three Sisters Islands. Gotta be careful where you go in, I don't want to be stuck on a rock in the Niagara River for eternity.

My oldest son came up with a pretty good idea, too. He thinks I should have a Viking burial in our pool. I liked that idea until I started talking about how I wanted the raft built and he told me he planned on sticking me on the raft I already have. I want a cool raft and I would like some of that stuff in the fire that makes it all different colors.

Anyway, none of that will happen if I die before my mom because she says I won't get into Heaven if I do either of those things. She's going to make sure I have a proper burial. Plus, she's worried I won't have a body in the afterlife. I told her if God can make one body, he can make me another one and I'll look fresh and she'll be all rotten. I call it Suzanimal 2.0 and have a few suggestions for upgrades. Of course, all that is dependent on me getting into Heaven which is a long shot, at best.

Put the box down.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Put the box down.
    I'm sober. My ideas aren't worse than what's done to corpses in funeral homes. I've been behind the scenes and it's disgusting. Plus, putting all that make up on them to try and make them look alive. *shudders* I hate it. I couldn't look at my dad but through the whole viewing, funeral, and for weeks after all my mom could talk about was how good he looked. o_O She complimented his looks more after he died than she ever did when he was alive. Bizarre.

Deer and porcupines will do this .
    Do something Danke

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

Was this last summer or the one before that?

Quote Originally Posted by HitoKichi View Post
    Was this last summer or the one before that?
    When I went to Niagara Falls? I go every year. It's the only way Mr Animal can get me to hang with his commie relatives in Buffalo. His brother in law buys me a shrimp O for my picnic so that's nice. I like those shrimp o's at the grocery store.

I'm a shrimp o hunter. Mmmhum, gonna get me a shrimp o. - you have to say that like the guy in Slingblade

Hey, shouldn't you be in school right now?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Hey, shouldn't you be in school right now?
    I am. But its lunch time.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    There's this one pizza place the locals say is really good. I forget its name you have to go ask the mechanic on the outskirts of town.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    I went last time to Niagara falls with my grandpa I think

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    I think I saw this documentary with deer eating sparrows

hey folks, I have an amateur question for ya'll: can spotting scopes be used for hunting? has anyone ever tried it? I'm just curious- hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWebb View Post
    hey folks, I have an amateur question for ya'll: can spotting scopes be used for hunting? has anyone ever tried it? I'm just curious- hahaha

First sentence from your link...
    A spotting scope is a device that is usually used for hunting, archery, birding, spotting wildlife and even target shooting.

I've never used one but I've only ever shot a few things and one doesn't count because I think it was already dead. I found a crow that froze to death (or rigor mortis had already set in) when I was a kid and shot it with a pellet gun. I was proud of that kill but my mom wouldn't make the crow stew I suggested. She just told me to get that nasty thing out of the house and quit playing with dead animals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast