Thread: Hulu - The Handmaid's Tale

Hulu - The Handmaid's Tale

Anyone watch this series?

It was labeled sci fi, dystopian future and since I'll watch nearly any sci fi I've gotten through 3 episodes.

Note, I haven't read the book it's based off of.

Interesting so far, the US has fallen to an inside job theocracy, birth rates have fallen so the few breeding females left are concubines for the leaders. This episode had more of the back story of things falling apart. Other than the birth rate problem no tin foil hats are required to accept the backstory.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, I've watched it. My SO read the book and had to watch the series. Seems like a reasonable glimpse into a post GWOT, NWO-style police state future. Definitely some occult religion influences with all the "eye" references constantly through the series.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

blessed is the fruit
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Yeah, I've watched it. My SO read the book and had to watch the series. Seems like a reasonable glimpse into a post GWOT, NWO-style police state future. Definitely some occult religion influences with all the "eye" references constantly through the series.
    Does it stick to the book?

I read it ages ago and didn't really care for it but I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Does it stick to the book?

I read it ages ago and didn't really care for it but I'm curious.
    She has said it's pretty close to the book but since the book was written in 1985, the series changes the flashback scenes to be more recent with cell phones and such. There are other minor differences like the procreation scenes are a bit different than the book's depictions.

I've laughed at some of the scenes in the show because they're so ridiculous. Like the baby delivery scene where the non-delivering elite woman fakes birthing pains and goes to rest in the bed after the real delivering woman has finished delivering the baby. It's meant to be serious of course but it's so ridiculous that people would seriously act that way with a straight face.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

She has said it's pretty close to the book but since the book was written in 1985, the series changes the flashback scenes to be more recent with cell phones and such. There are other minor differences like the procreation scenes are a bit different than the book's depictions.

I've laughed at some of the scenes in the show because they're so ridiculous. Like the baby delivery scene where the non-delivering elite woman fakes birthing pains and goes to rest in the bed after the real delivering woman has finished delivering the baby. It's meant to be serious of course but it's so ridiculous that people would seriously act that way with a straight face.
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I thought it was stupid. I don't remember the delivery (it's been a long time) but I remember the sex scenes being like that.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Anyone watch this series?
    Hell no. Saw a trailer though and looked like a creepy as hell liberal abortion propaganda show.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Hell no. Saw a trailer though and looked like a creepy as hell liberal abortion propaganda show.
    Naaa, it's nothing like that and even somewhat opposite of abortion propaganda. Child birth/continuing the species is a main focus since 80% of women are sterile. Eugenics propaganda perhaps but certainly not abortion related.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    under His eye
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Naaa, it's nothing like that and even somewhat opposite of abortion propaganda. Child birth/continuing the species is a main focus since 80% of women are sterile. Eugenics propaganda perhaps but certainly not abortion related.
    I see. Well, almost all the comments I saw were about abortion so I kind of figured that was a part of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    I see. Well, almost all the comments I saw were about abortion so I kind of figured that was a part of it.
    Yeah, the feminists are trying to twist it into what the future will look like for women if Obamacare is shot down.

The delivery ritual and the premise of the handmaid is based on Genesis 30