Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the libertarian position on Muslim refugees?

What is the libertarian position on Muslim refugees?

Should we accept them all or only some, or perhaps none at all? What do you feel about it and why?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    none at all. we have enough problems to deal with at home. lets get on the right track first

The only legitimate function of govenrment is to protect property rights.

Restricting immigration for that purpose (e.g. screening for criminals) is acceptable, *if* the benefits outweigh the costs.

Restricting immigration for any other purpose (e.g. muh jerbs, muh cultures) is never acceptable.

So, here and now, that means screening of Muslim immigrants for ties to terrorism, if it can be done cost effectively, is fine.

Otherwise, free immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The only legitimate function of govenrment is to protect property rights.
    What kind of libertarian are you?

What kind of libertarian am I if I agree with the founding fathers and the constitution?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul in 2008 View Post
    What kind of libertarian are you?
    The kind that's in favor of property rights (i.e. the only kind).

What kind of libertarian am I if I agree with the founding fathers and the constitution?
    What are you talking about?

The libertarian position is that the government should spend zero dollars helping refugees, and should also do nothing to stop them from coming here with whatever aid they might receive from voluntary means.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The kind that's in favor of property rights (i.e. the only kind).
    You sound like a bit of an anarchist.

What are you talking about?
    How do you classify my political beliefs? As anarchist, libertarian, conservative etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    none at all. we have enough problems to deal with at home. lets get on the right track first
    That might be your position, but there is nothing libertarian about it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    The libertarian position is that the government should spend zero dollars helping refugees,
    That's good.

and should also do nothing to stop them from coming here
    Wouldn't you consider that to be liberal?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    That might be your position, but there is nothing libertarian about it.
    How so?

You sound like a bit of an anarchist.
    I sound like an anarchist because I said that the only legitimate function of government is to protect property rights?

How do you classify my political beliefs? As anarchist, libertarian, conservative etc.?
    I don't really know what your political beliefs are.

Since you're at RPF, I'd assume you're generally a small government type.

Based on this thread, I'd assume you make nationalistic exceptions to your otherwise small government worldview.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 05-04-2017 at 08:36 PM.

The unemployment rate in Sweden among refugees is over 50% even among refugees who have been in the country for 10 years. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ob-in-a-decade

The unemployment rate of Syrian refugees in Canada is 50% after a year in the country. http://globalnews.ca/news/3119278/ha...ater-liberals/

It costs taxpayers $65k per refugee to resettle them in the United States. http://cis.org/High-Cost-of-Resettli...stern-Refugees

91% of the refugees from the Middle East the United States has recently taken in receive food stamps. http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/26...iel-greenfield

Refugees are a separate class of immigrant because they are not coming to the United States to work and assimilate.

One of the problems with unlimited immigration is that when a people group like Muslims moves into an area they wqnt to shape law and justice to suit their own belief system. Sharia law is directly opposed to the concepts of personal liberty and equal rights.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    One of the problems with unlimited immigration is that when a people group like Muslims moves into an area they wqnt to shape law and justice to suit their own belief system. Sharia law is directly opposed to the concepts of personal liberty and equal rights.
    So the belief system of ~99% of native born Americans.

Seriously? There was no codified law in 1620 or whatever year you want to pick.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

How so?
    Libertarianism does not allow for restricting people's travel across national borders.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wouldn't you consider that to be liberal?
    If you mean in the classical sense of the word liberal, which means the same as libertarian, then yes.

If you mean in the modern American sense where marxism is called liberal, then no, it's the opposite. Restricting immigration is the marxist position.

Pretty sure the answer is NOT bring them here and put them on welfare.

Ten refugees can be taken care of in the middle east for the same cost as taking care of one here or in Europe.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Pretty sure the answer is NOT bring them here and put them on welfare.

Ten refugees can be taken care of in the middle east for the same cost as taking care of one here or in Europe.
    Sure. They will be much better off there.

The libertarian position would be to quit making refugees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    how about the other middle eastern countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    how about the other middle eastern countries?
    That is the Syrian Refugee camp in Jordan.

Should we accept them all or only some, or perhaps none at all? What do you feel about it and why?
    Is it going to cost federal tax dollars that are instant debt and interest is pd on ? Then , NO . Are you or someone else going to "sponsor " them and pay for it until they become self sufficient ? Then , I really do not care . Myself , I wish to pay for none .
    Do something Danke

In Europe they don't work, they just complain about what version of Ipad the government gives them.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gulf countries including Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Bahrain have offered zero resettlement places to Syrian refugees.
    Other high income countries including Russia, Japan, Singapore and South Korea have also offered zero resettlement places.
    Germany has pledged 35,000 places for Syrian refugees through its humanitarian admission programme and individual sponsorship; about 75 % of the EU total.
    Germany and Sweden together have received 47% Syrian asylum applications in the EU between April 2011 and July 2015.
    Excluding Germany and Sweden, the remaining 26 EU countries have pledged around 8,700 resettlement places, or around 0.2% of Syrian refugees in the main host countries.

Hmm. I looked through those pics and didn't see a single one of my family, friends, or neighbors...

*scratches head*

Not my problem?

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

None, until every public mechanism that subsidizes their CoL is abolished. So in other words, NEVER. Apply this rule to white refugees as well.
    Last edited by AuH20; 05-06-2017 at 07:44 AM.

I probably shouldn't respond 'cause I don't identify as libertarian....................But...

Why should I give even a small part of a $#@! how well off some person on the other side of the globe is when my own neighbors are struggling?

My position is that I'm better off helping those in my immediate vicinity and doing my damnedest to not fund wars or welfare...

Show us how compassionate you are, Zip and let them sleep on your couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    The libertarian position would be to quit making refugees.
    Exactly! Stop tearing up their country and making them homeless.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast