Thread: NYC moves to raise cost of cigarettes to nation's highest

NYC moves to raise cost of cigarettes to nation's highest

NEW YORK — It already is the city that never sleeps — and if Mayor Bill de Blasio has his way it will become the city that never smokes.

De Blasio on Wednesday announced a package of proposed bills that would, among other things, raise the base price of a pack of cigarettes from $10.50 to $13, making New York home to the costliest cigarettes in the country. If the legislation passes, it would join an ongoing campaign by the city to get smokers to quit — a campaign that includes a series of jarring public service announcements that show people dealing with amputations, life with no voicebox, or the last stages of life due to cigarette damage..

De Blasio made the announcement at an anti-smoking event Wednesday.

"When it comes to New Yorkers' health, big tobacco is public enemy number one," the mayor said. "Today, we are taking a stand against these companies to not only reduce smoking and tobacco usage in New York City, but also save lives.”

The five-pronged package of proposed bills would:

• Raise the minimum price for all tobacco products.

• Reduce through attrition the number of tobacco retailers.

• Create a retail license for e-cigarettes and cap the number of sellers.

• Require all residential buildings to create a smoking policy and disclose it to current and would-be tenants.

• Ban sales at pharmacies.

The goal of the program would be to reduce the city's more than 900,000 smokers by 160,000 over the next three years. The bills will be reviewed by the City Council's Health Committee on April 27.

But the move also drew attention to another issue in the city — sales of bootleg cigarettes from other states that allow smokers in New York to bypass taxes and buy cigarettes for as little as $7 or $8 a pack. New York State leads the nation when it comes to cigarette smuggling and 55.5% of cigarettes smoked in the state in 2014 came from smuggled sources, according to a study published in January by the non-profit Tax Foundation.

"We resent the fact that the administration and the City Council are trying to attack law-abiding retailers when the real problem is on the streets," said James Calvin, president of the New York Association of Convenience Stores.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...est/100672190/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds like folks will be bringing in their smokes from other places.

I mean, $210.00 per carton. That's $840.00 for four cartons. That is a lot of cash. I think I could buy 4 cartons from another state and put them in my trunk and nobody would be the wiser.

That will be even higher than Chicago . Amazing . Nobody is going to pay that. They will by them from somewhere else . By the way , what is govt.'s plan to replace all this revenue if everyone did quit like they say they want ? It is not like they are going to cut spending , so what taxes will they increase ?
    Do something Danke

My local Uptown Manhattan bodegas sell out of state cigs, exclusively. $3-5 below the "regulated" price. But most people buy loosies.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Sounds like folks will be bringing in their smokes from other places.

I mean, $210.00 per carton. That's $840.00 for four cartons. That is a lot of cash. I think I could buy 4 cartons from another state and put them in my trunk and nobody would be the wiser.
    Be careful. Your cash may run into the asset forfeiture problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    My local Uptown Manhattan bodegas sell out of state cigs, exclusively. $3-5 below the "regulated" price. But most people buy loosies.
    How much is a loosie ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    How much is a loosie ?
    A buck? Buy 2 get one free.

How much is a loosie ?
    $.50 usually. Black market mark up.

I let go of the law,
    I let go of economics,
    I let go of religion,

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I need to get into the loosie business.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    I might as well. When we drive to Buffalo, my in laws have me bring cartons of cigarettes.

I let go of the law,
    I let go of economics,
    I let go of religion,

Hope you get hazardous duty pay and life insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Hope you get hazardous duty pay and life insurance.
    No but my BIL bought my ticket on Maid of the Mist and packed me a shrimp ring (I call them ShrimpO's) for lunch.

Smokes are most likely to flow out of the #LiveFreeorDie state and into the #Empire state. The state mottos are truth in advertising. It is great that the mayor of NYC wants to help the New Hampshire economy.

Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Hmmm...that has me rethinking my career in loosies. I don't respond well to being murdered.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Smokes are most likely to flow out of the #LiveFreeorDie state and into the #Empire state. The state mottos are truth in advertising. It is great that the mayor of NYC wants to help the New Hampshire economy.
    Keep that in mind next time you visit 7-11. I also have no explanation why Red Bull, despite its price, always looks like it fell off a truck. The shadow economy is alive and well.

//
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    //
    Is that code for 2 loosies?

If so, that'll be a dollar.

Is that code for 2 loosies?

If so, that'll be a dollar.
    Not in NYC.

Indiana outflow cigarettes go to Chicago . Kentucky outflow cigarettes go to Ohio , Tenn & In . I imagine Tenn outflow goes to Mississippi.
    Do something Danke

Indiana outflow cigarettes go to Chicago . Kentucky outflow cigarettes go to Ohio , Tenn & In . I imagine Tenn outflow goes to Mississippi.
    GA outflow is going to Buffalo, NY. That's probably me.

GA outflow is going to Buffalo, NY. That's probably me.
    I bet most cigarettes in southern Ohio come from KY and many cigarettes in Fla come from Ga. If I was in Buffalo I would check into the Indian Res and see if they sell . Bemus Pierce's stomping grounds.
    Last edited by oyarde; 05-02-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    Do something Danke

I bet most cigarettes in southern Ohio come from KY and many cigarettes in Fla come from Ga. If I was in Buffalo I would check into the Indian Res and see if they sell . Bemus Pierce's stomping grounds.
    They do but mine are cheaper and the brand they want.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They do but mine are cheaper and the brand they want.
    Yes , I bet they do not have all the brands up there like they would in Atlanta . Good job sticking it to the evil new york tax man
    Do something Danke

Yes , I bet they do not have all the brands up there like they would in Atlanta . Good job sticking it to the evil new york tax man
    I think the only brand on the reservation is American Spirit or something like that. It has an injun mascot on the package.

The stores have all the brands but they run 100.00 a carton. I can buy the same thing here for 40.00 a carton.

Get in car, drive to Douglaston or other convenient Long Island locale, stock up, drive home, wave middle finger at DeBlasio as you drive past Gracie Mansion.

Problem solved.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I think the only brand on the reservation is American Spirit or something like that. It has an injun mascot on the package.

The stores have all the brands but they run 100.00 a carton. I can buy the same thing here for 40.00 a carton.
    My oldest Grandson's Wife smoked those Spirit cigarettes but I have not tried one . When I quit a couple years ago I was smoking some marlboro red shorts and they were about 50 a carton here and about 40 in Kentucky . Crap , 100 would almost get my electric bill for a month. The ones I smoked were actually about 2 a pack without taxes . That is all the guy who grows it , the company that makes them and the seller split. Then the various govt.'s got abot 3 a pack for doing nothing . I think a carton of tax exempt cigarettes on a military base overseas in the early 80's was around 2.90 .
    Do something Danke