Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My father fell and broke his hip last night. Prayers, please, if you got 'em to give.

My father fell and broke his hip last night. Prayers, please, if you got 'em to give.

My father has been dealing with peripheral neuropathy for sometime. This causes numbness in his right leg and makes it hard for him to walk. He's 89 and wouldn't use a cane or walker and has fallen multiple times. This time he went down hard. There was no pain but he was admitted by ER and we will hear from the orthopedic surgeon this morning. On a positive note the attending orthopedic surgeon is one of the top rated in the area. Prayers would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sorry to hear that, hope the damage isn't much and he would have a speedy recovery.

Dang, I'm so sorry to hear of Mr 4paul's injury. Praying for a full and speedy recovery and keeping everything i have two of crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

You got 'em Phill...

I assume they x rayed and found a break/fracture?
    "The Patriarch"

I wish you the best with recovery .
    Do something Danke

Terrible news, prayers enroute for you your family and your father.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Phill so sorry to hear this. He will be in my prayers!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Sorry to hear that, man. We don't pray but the wife and I are sending your dad all our positive energy and best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Of course brother, prayers your dad's way.

Praying for your dad.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

positive vibes your way. Are they doing a hip replacement? If they do and try to send him to a rehab facility, try to opt for at home PT.. those facilities .. smh.. avoid
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    positive vibes your way. Are they doing a hip replacement? If they do and try to send him to a rehab facility, try to opt for at home PT.. those facilities .. smh.. avoid
    No kidding, this.

A "rehab" facility killed my father in law and my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    No kidding, this.

Oh man, I worked in one as a CNA years ago. I still cringe when I remember what I saw.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope and pray that all goes well Phill.

Sure thing, phill. I'd add your dad to my prayer list, too. I'll say a prayer for you, too, brother. I know the feeling of worrying about parents.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-30-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    They will push for sending someone to a rehab facility. Once there, the will try to extend the stay from a week to a month. Basically make someone a prisoner. "Sorry, the patient can not leave until it is OKed by our head Doctor, who won't be available for a few days". Free money from Uncle Sam, and they want to keep every bed full at all times.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

No kidding, this.

They killed a great-aunt on the in-laws side a couple of months ago. She went to the emergency room because her meds had gotten out of whack, they encouraged rehab for her to get "stronger" before going home. Within a couple of days she caught pneumonia, another week on the ventilator, and finally "comfort care" (i.e. the 1-4 day overdose on morphine euthanasia program). Before going in, she was pretty much fine, completely mobile and had all of her senses.

And beware the "drug them up to make them seem worse" technique.

Sorry for the negative derail Phill. Hopefully he'll be out of there in no time.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    They will push for sending someone to a rehab facility. Once there, the will try to extend the stay from a week to a month. Basically make someone a prisoner. "Sorry, the patient can not leave until it is OKed by our head Doctor, who won't be available for a few days". Free money from Uncle Sam, and they want to keep every bed full at all times.
    I'm sure there are good ones out there but I have to agree with B4L. The only rehab they gave my dad after his stroke was keeping him doped up. We got him out of there fairly quickly. My mom wanted him to get rehab (she was much smaller than him and was afraid she couldn't help him) against our wishes. She finally pulled him out when I found him laying in his own feces for what appeared like hours. It was disgusting. We ended up getting him in home physical therapy which was much more helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    They killed a great-aunt on the in-laws side a couple of months ago. She went to the emergency room because her meds had gotten out of whack, they encouraged rehab for her to get "stronger" before going home. Within a couple of days she caught pneumonia, another week on the ventilator, and finally "comfort care" (i.e. the 1-4 day overdose on morphine euthanasia program). Before going in, she was pretty much fine, completely mobile and had all of her senses.

And beware the "drug them up to make them seem worse" technique.

Sorry for the negative derail Phill. Hopefully he'll be out of there in no time.
    That is the truth. These are not isolated either--I have seen in done in Texas and NJ.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'm sure there are good ones out there but I have to agree with B4L. The only rehab they gave my dad after his stroke was keeping him doped up. We got him out of there fairly quickly. My mom wanted him to get rehab (she was much smaller than him and was afraid she couldn't help him) against our wishes. She finally pulled him out when I found him laying in his own feces for what appeared like hours. It was disgusting. We ended up getting him in home physical therapy which was much more helpful.

My father had bedsores the size of a big man's fist. The heels of my father's feet were jet-black. His catheter bag was sometimes overflowing. It is disgusting how they treat people in these places. The more awareness about it the better, I say.

Prayers!
    Get him on his feet as soon as possible. Falls aren't ranked the number one cause of death in folks over fifty for no reason. Of course he will need to have that hip fixed first if it's fractured or a ligament has been torn. But get him on his feet as soon as possible and have him to use the spirometer they will give him in the Hospital, till he can peg it and keep going til he is as he was. That will help keep the pneumonia at bay. You mentioned he has been dealing with peripheral neuropathy? Is it from diabetes or vascular disease? That needs to be addressed as well.
    Good luck and do keep us in the loop.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thank you everyone for the prayers and positive vibes, they are really appreciated. I do love my brothers and sisters on these forums.

I'll update a bit. Ex-ray's showed that the ball had come out of the socket and was damaged. The orthopedic surgeon said that the ball needed replacing, would be replaced and my dad would be expected to start exercising it the same day. He's a no non-sense, straight shooting, kinda guy without much bed manner which is exactly the kind of fellow my dad can understand. He spoke of the possibility of doing the op this evening if all the other tests worked out.
    They didn't to the hospitals overall physicians attendant. She was troubled by 1) a heart murmur and 2) kidney condition. He has never had trouble with his heart and the murmur was first detected at age 16. Since he is 89 she wanted to do an EKG and also an Ultra Sound. So I got to look at film being recorded of my dad's heart and listen to it pumping. That was some pretty freaky technology. By the time we left this evening we had not heard from the cardiologist, but I don't think it will be an issue. He lost a kidney back in the '70's to cancer. They just wanted to give it another day with the I.V. They are keeping him on his regular 'scripts for high blood pressure and the neuropathy. I came to realize he only takes 5 'scripts. My mom and Beth take more than that.
    So, long story short they decided to put off the operation until tomorrow. That's if the planets align. The ortho doc runs a successful practice and tomorrow is his regular practice day. They said if a surgery room is available and he is available then it will be done tomorrow. Next day at the latest.
    Dad's in pretty good shape. His didn't feel any pain from the fall. He started getting some shooting pains after about 15 minutes after he fell asleep last night and this morning. I communicated this and they gave him a mild pain killer and it seemed to help. Seemed to help this afternoon and he caught quite a few hour plus naps afterwards.

As far as the rehab advise, it is much appreciated. If dad does get surgery tomorrow then he will stay at the hospital another 3-4 days they said before rehab is needed. That will give me time to do some research. And trust me I will keep a close eye on the going-ons after the stories you have told me. At this point even if a facility is the route chosen, and it's not been by any means, he won't be there long. He hates the hospital and would hate a rehab center. He's an obstinate old fart and for that very reason he would double down on therapy just to get back home. He's also not one to authorize any medication he doesn't need and my mom and I would be there everyday to monitor him and his treatment.
    I appreciate the advice and will take it utmost under consideration regarding the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    As far as the rehab advise, it is much appreciated. If dad does get surgery tomorrow then he will stay at the hospital another 3-4 days they said before rehab is needed. That will give me time to do some research. And trust me I will keep a close eye on the going-ons after the stories you have told me. At this point even if a facility is the route chosen, and it's not been by any means, he won't be there long. He hates the hospital and would hate a rehab center. He's an obstinate old fart and for that very reason he would double down on therapy just to get back home. He's also not one to authorize any medication he doesn't need and my mom and I would be there everyday to monitor him and his treatment.
    I appreciate the advice and will take it utmost under consideration regarding the situation.
    You're better man and a better son than me, my brother.

We're all pulling for your dad.

You're better man and a better son than me, my brother.

We're all pulling for your dad.
    As I remember your relationship with your dad was different from me and mine. To a certain extent medical, like real estate, comes down to location,location, location. After NAFTA decimated the middle class locally the local government decided to sell the city as a retirement community for "half-backs." My dad was from Ohio, spent a lifetime as an Air Traffic Controller and moved here from Miami Center in the late '70's to study furniture making in retirement even though the industry was dying out. It helped that attending the school provided extra income even over retirement pay.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that the city has become a retirement community and with it came quality elderly healthcare.
    My Beth sells homes in a "lifestyle change" community. Within a mile there is her community of $300k town homes, a high end "assisted care" condominium, a high end "end of life" center and a funeral home. She jokes to them that they can end their days within one square mile. And they like the idea of it.

And truthfully, please pray for my mother too. She has loved my father longer than I or my older brothers and sisters have been alive. She is being stoic. But, I know it's a facade.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 04-30-2017 at 08:47 PM.

As I remember your relationship with your dad was different from me and mine.
    It was, very...but I've come to the conclusion I don't get a pass on that...debts are incurred, and everybody settles up with the house before it's all over.

And truthfully, please pray for my mother too. She has loved my father longer than I or my older brothers and sisters have been alive. She is being stoic. But, I know it's a facade.
    You got it...please let her know that the entire community here, our merry little band of refuseniks, are praying and sending their best to both of them, and to you, Beth and your siblings as well.

My father has been dealing with peripheral neuropathy for sometime. This causes numbness in his right leg and makes it hard for him to walk. He's 89 and wouldn't use a cane or walker and has fallen multiple times. This time he went down hard. There was no pain but he was admitted by ER and we will hear from the orthopedic surgeon this morning. On a positive note the attending orthopedic surgeon is one of the top rated in the area. Prayers would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Prayers sent, my friend.
    There is no spoon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast