Thread: Lawsuit sparks debate on West Virginia public school bible classes

Lawsuit sparks debate on West Virginia public school bible classes

A school district in West Virginia has been thrust into the national spotlight after a lawsuit filed by two county residents accused the district of violating the Constitution over its weekly Bible study courses.

Supporters of the Mercer County public school class, which is offered during school time for 30 minutes at the elementary level and 45 minutes in middle school, maintain that it's optional.

They also say that the content of the classes are worthy, intended to explore the history and literature of the Bible and not geared toward promoting religion.

Opponents, however, say that the classes offered to 6,600 students in 16 public elementary schools and three middle schools are unconstitutional. According to the filed suit, the Bible class “advances and endorses one religion, improperly entangles public schools in religious affairs, and violates the personal consciences of nonreligious and non-Christian parents and students.”

MOM SUES TO STOP BIBLE STUDY CLASSES IN WEST VIRGINIA SCHOOLS

“As a person of faith myself, I don't see any problem with having an after-school Bible program,” Lynne White, a former school board member and mother of two sons who went to Mercer schools, told The Washington Post. “But to me this seems a pretty clear violation of the Constitution.”

“My experience with it has been very positive. I've never known of anyone who has been pressured or felt ostracized,” Rev. David Dockery, the senior pastor at First Baptist Church of Princeton, told the newspaper. “Anytime God's word can be proclaimed is beneficial and is a good thing,” he said.

The program is overwhelmingly popular locally; parents and community members help to raise nearly $500,000 a year to pay for the classes. Almost every child attends.

The suit was first filed in January and then amended by the Freedom from Religion Foundation in March. The program “is unconstitutional at its core and cannot be saved via modifications,” Patrick Elliott, a lawyer for the foundation, responded.

A motion was filed by the district to dismiss the lawsuit.

“There are two things to look at,” Hiram Sasser, an attorney with First Liberty Institute, a nonprofit law firm representing the school district, told the newspaper. “The first is whether you can have a Bible course at all. And the other is whether you can have the Bible course as it is presently constituted. It’s fair to say that we’re very confident on the first issue. And on the second issue . . . our client is very, very flexible in terms of making sure that the content is in compliance with the law.”
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/25...e-classes.html

A kindergartner's mother is suing her public school system in West Virginia, asking that it discontinue a 75-year practice of putting kids in Bible classes that violate the U.S. and state constitutions.

The woman, identified as "Jane Doe" in the federal lawsuit backed by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, says her child will be forced either to take these weekly classes at her Mercer County elementary school or face ostracism as one of the few children who don't. Her daughter is called “Jamie” in the suit.

“Jamie will either be forced to attend Bible indoctrination classes against the wishes and conscience of Jane Doe, or Jamie will be the only or one of only a few children who do not participate,” the lawsuit says. “Jamie will therefore be made conspicuous by absence, and essentially be identified as a non-Christian or nonbeliever, subjecting Jamie to the risk of ostracism from peers and even school staff.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/21...a-schools.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another case of one person using government to subvert their community.

Take your communities back from fed-gov!

Refuse their money, refuse their influence.

Don't be whores to other peoples money or ideas.

I was wondering just last week or so, how come my kid comes home with classwork explaining/teaching about seder dinner, hanukkah and kwanzaa. but nothing about easter, or Christmas other than stuff with bunnies or reindeer.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 04-26-2017 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I was wondering just last week or so, how come my kid comes home with classwork explaining teaching about seder dinner, hanukkah and kwanzaa. but nothing about easter, or Christmas other than stuff with bunnies or reindeer.
    Kwanzaa seemed popular in the 1990's but I haven't heard much about it lately. I suppose it went out of fashion. Sounds like your son's teachers are using 25 year old lesson plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Kwanzaa seemed popular in the 1990's but I haven't heard much about it lately. I suppose it went out of fashion. Sounds like your son's teachers are using 25 year old lesson plans.
    Maybe down in your area, but up here they still teach about it. Other than that you don't hear about it. Personally, I don't mind if they teach that stuff, just think that the biggest religion in the country should get equal billing to the others and not be excluded.

Opponents, however, say that the classes offered to 6,600 students in 16 public elementary schools and three middle schools are unconstitutional.
    What part of "Congress shall make no law" does this violate?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe