Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rep. Massie on Trump’s First 100 Days: ‘Neil Gorsuch Was Worth the Entire Election’

Rep. Massie on Trump’s First 100 Days: ‘Neil Gorsuch Was Worth the Entire Election’

Congressman Thomas Massie wants spending cuts, not tax increases elsewhere, to offset income tax reductions.
    Congressman Massie (R-KY) spoke to Breitbart News on President Donald Trump’s first 100 days, saying the president is off to a great start, and calling the nomination of Neil Gorsuch a defining moment for the Trump presidency.

He told Breitbart News:

I’m excited for the wins that we got already, which includes Supreme Court nominee Gorsuch being confirmed and that’s going to last for decades. Neil Gorsuch was worth the entire election, everything else is a bonus. As for other stuff he scores big points for rolling back the regulatory state. In my district two big deals are the EPA’s Waters of the US rule, and the Social Security gun grab. I’m excited about those things.

Massie explained that he loves using the Congressional Review Act to repeal regulations. He explained, “I lost track of how many we’ve done, and it was only used once successfully before Trump. and that was an OSHA rule with President George W. Bush that Bush was able to rescind a rule created during the Clinton era. I’m excited about all of those and more. but I’m particularly excited about the Social Security gun ban.”

The Kentucky congressman would love to see a comprehensive infrastructure plan. Massie said:

I would love for us to make progress on infrastructure. I am one of the most conservative members of Congress, and I serve on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee because I believe it’s vital to our country. it’s one of the few things our country should spend money on. I believe that there’s a constitutional and a federal nexus for it so I’d like to figure out how to address the nation’s infrastructure needs. Trump spoke to that on the campaign, and I think that a lot of Republicans and Democrats agree that we need this. So I believe that Trump can get the six votes he needs in the Senate to pass an infrastructure plan. We know he can get 218 in the House. I’m really excited he chose Elaine Chao to be Transportation Secretary.

Massie cheered Trump nominating Scott Garrett to run the Export-Import Bank. He said:....
    read the rest...
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hohohoo!!

Trumpaclaus
    Last edited by dannno; 04-26-2017 at 01:12 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I agree with Massie.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Neil Gorsuch was worth the entire election
    How does he know this? He hasn't been there long enough to make any kind of judgement call on. It's not like we haven't been burned before, it's a little early for victory laps Thomas.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    How does he know this? He hasn't been there long enough to make any kind of judgement call on. It's not like we haven't been burned before, it's a little early for victory laps Thomas.
    Judge Nap: Gorsuch Brings 'Scalia-Like Dose of Skepticism About Gov't'

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/01/3...rnment-supreme
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Judge Nap: Gorsuch Brings 'Scalia-Like Dose of Skepticism About Gov't'

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/01/3...rnment-supreme
    That's all well and good. Lets just hope he manages to keep that "Scalia-like dose of skepticism" about the government's ability to regulate the economy and Americans' personal lives.
    "The Patriarch"

bump

Something tells me this statement will look kind of bad and likely be regretted in 3-7 years.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Politics and politicians are a joke. Massie wears his clown suits on rare occasions but this sort of idiotic statement show you that he hasn't retired the suit. Even if thi was a good pick, would it still be a good vote if he starts off a war with Russia or North Korea or continues to strip more and more of our civil liberties, continues the run up of the govt spending and debt?

I really don't care if this is some 3D chess game. It is too freaking early o say such a thing about anyone. The Nobel committee understood that after they gave Obama the peace prize very early in his term.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Something tells me this statement will look kind of bad and likely be regretted in 3-7 years.
    Nobody is perfect.
    "The Patriarch"

Even in 3-7 years, there is no way he could possibly be a worse pick than the alternative if Trump had lost the election.

I would love for us to make progress on infrastructure. I am one of the most conservative members of Congress, and I serve on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee because I believe it’s vital to our country. it’s one of the few things our country should spend money on. I believe that there’s a constitutional and a federal nexus for it so I’d like to figure out how to address the nation’s infrastructure needs.
    Well that is disappointing. Never thought I would see the day. Why we have the spending problems we have, every congressman "believes" there are a "few things our country should spend money on" Oh well, I am getting more and more jaded.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Even in 3-7 years, there is no way he could possibly be a worse pick than the alternative if Trump had lost the election.
    Well, there's a real 5 star rating.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Well, there's a real 5 star rating.
    Yeah, not saying it is; but I think that is the meat off the thread title statement. Can you imagine Hillary's appointment being there for decades instead of this guy?

I hope you enjoyed your sandwiches made of human feces, Boys and Girls. Because the sandwiches in the other basket had Salmonella and you might have died. Yummy poop, Boys and Girls, be sure to lick your plates.

So ya, it sounds bad now and will probably sound worse later. And I don't love Salmonella.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Yeah, not saying it is; but I think that is the meat off the thread title statement. Can you imagine Hillary's appointment being there for decades instead of this guy?
    Unfortunately I can, very clearly. But like I said, it's way too early for any victory laps here. May fortune smile and I be proven horribly wrong.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I disagree.... Gorsuch hasn't proven his worth yet
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Executive actions

• February 3, 2017—After Iran tested a ballistic missile in apparent violation of a UN Security Council resolution, the Trump Administration instituted unilateral economic sanctions against 13 Iranian individuals and 12 companies.[130][131]
    • March 2017—After the UN Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia authored a destructive and anti-Semitic[132][133] report against Israel, the report and agency were strongly criticized by the United States and UN Ambassador Nikki Haley, and the executive director of the commission resigned in response.[134][135]
    • On March 18, 2017, the Trump Administration successfully forced the G-20 to remove its opposition to protectionism and temper its support for free trade,[118][119] and any mention of climate change[110][111] from its joint statement. Later, in April 2017, the Trump Administration refused to sign the G7 joint statement because the other nations could not agree to include support for nuclear and fossil fuels without support for the Paris climate agreement. The G7, thus, went without a joint statement.[136][137]
    • April 6, 2017—After the Syrian government used chemical weapons on its people, President Trump ordered a one-time airstrike against a Syrian air base, firing 60 cruise missiles at it.[138] The U.S. destroyed about 20 Syrian jet planes and caused extremely heavy damage on the base.[139] Defense Secretary James Mattis stated the attacks destroyed 20% of Syria's operational aircraft.[140] As even the New York Times reported, Trump's action was a show of U.S. strength, and it was in stark contrast to Obama, as Trump used surprise and speed in the attacks.[141] World leaders supported the strong action.[142] This was the first direct military action the U.S. took against the Assad regime.[143] On April 23, 2017, in response to the chemical attacks, the Trump Administration put sanctions on 271 employees of Syria’s Scientific Studies and Research Center, which supported the nation's chemical weapons program.[144]

MOAB, the "Mother Of All bombs"

• April 13, 2017—Under the increased autonomy President Trump gave the Defense Department,[145] the U.S. dropped a GBU-43B (also known as MOAB or the "Mother Of All bombs"), the largest non-nuclear bomb in existence at 21,000 pounds on a complex of Islamic State tunnels in Afghanistan. Although tested in 2003, the bomb had never been used in combat before.[146] It was estimated to have killed at least 94 ISIS fighters, including four commanders – no civilians were killed.[147] It also destroyed several of the tunnels as well as weapon stockpiles.[148][149] The attack was reported as having dealt a heavy blow to ISIS's Afghanistan branch.[150]
    • March and April, 2017—President Trump and the U.S. Senate approved Montenegro's accession into NATO, over Russia's objections.[151]
    • April 21, 2017—The Trump Administration refused to issue waivers to any companies which wanted to do business with Russia, which was under economic sanctions, including ExxonMobil, which had applied for a waiver.[152][153] The day earlier, the Trump Administration announced, in strong language, it was implementing the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act, which blacklisted certain Russian citizens.[154][155]

Lol, thanks for the link. You like you some NeoConservative foreign policy? Yeah Baby, RPF 2017.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Well, let's see... It could have been worse.

I'd say replacing Scalia with Gorsuch doesn't really move the ball towards liberty, but I also don't think it moves it towards tyranny. I'd say it remains to be seen. But it could have been worse. Scalia and Gorsuch seem like an even replacement.

Still, worth the entire election?!! Maybe the general - but liberty already lost by then. The real test will be if Trump gets to nominate a replacement for Ginsburg. THEN, we'll see if it was "worth it".
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

As for other stuff he scores big points for rolling back the regulatory state. In my district two big deals are the EPA’s Waters of the US rule, and the Social Security gun grab. I’m excited about those things.

Massie explained that he loves using the Congressional Review Act to repeal regulations. He explained, “I lost track of how many we’ve done, and it was only used once successfully before Trump. and that was an OSHA rule with President George W. Bush that Bush was able to rescind a rule created during the Clinton era. I’m excited about all of those and more. but I’m particularly excited about the Social Security gun ban.”
    He seems excited about a lot more than Gorsuch.

I would love for us to make progress on infrastructure. I am one of the most conservative members of Congress, and I serve on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee because I believe it’s vital to our country. it’s one of the few things our country should spend money on. I believe that there’s a constitutional and a federal nexus for it so I’d like to figure out how to address the nation’s infrastructure needs. Trump spoke to that on the campaign, and I think that a lot of Republicans and Democrats agree that we need this. So I believe that Trump can get the six votes he needs in the Senate to pass an infrastructure plan. We know he can get 218 in the House. I’m really excited he chose Elaine Chao to be Transportation Secretary.
    Gonna have to disagree with you there, respectfully, Mr. Massie. Just like everyone else you believe that there is a "constitutional and federal nexus" for your pet project. THAT is why we are were we are.

Congratulations for you getting a clown in a gown that might "re-imagine" the founders beliefs because it is your pet project.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Well, let's see... It could have been worse.

I'd say replacing Scalia with Gorsuch doesn't really move the ball towards liberty, but I also don't think it moves it towards tyranny. I'd say it remains to be seen. But it could have been worse. Scalia and Gorsuch seem like an even replacement.

Still, worth the entire election?!! Maybe the general - but liberty already lost by then. The real test will be if Trump gets to nominate a replacement for Ginsburg. THEN, we'll see if it was "worth it".
    If there is one thing I have learned in the last 10 years, it is that there is no moving the ball toward liberty. Our liberty will continue to be infringed upon no matter what and the American people will cheer for it. Freedom is not nearly as popular as perceived security. People don't want freedom, they want to be taken care of. They desire only to have a kind and generous slave master.

If you are seeking to move the ball towards liberty through the employees of the state... I think you will find only varying degrees of disappointment.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I'd give Trump a C+ on the domestic side and a D on foreign policy. I think he can get the domestic grade up to a B if he goes scorched earth on the GOP traitors in the Senate to ramrod a portion of his campaign agenda. If I was Trump, I'd have visual aids depicting the treachery of the GOP Senate at nationwide press conferences. I don't expect much on the FP side.
    Last edited by AuH20; 04-26-2017 at 07:25 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I don't expect much on the FP side.
    Sometimes it's better to be pleasantly surprised.

I think Gorsuch and the regulatory rules put him into the B territory on domestic stuff. I haven't seen any federal raids on medical cannabis clinics or any really egregious civil rights stuff yet, at least nothing out of the normal.

Sometimes it's better to be pleasantly surprised.

I think Gorsuch and the regulatory rules put him into the B territory on domestic stuff. I haven't seen any federal raids on medical cannabis clinics or any really egregious civil rights stuff yet,

at least nothing out of the normal.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Not if we remember who sHe would have nominated.

I agree that the appointment of Gorsuch alone makes Trump a better alternative than Hillary, but he could easily suck on every other issue.

Some people seem to be interpreting that comment as Trump being good when basically all he said was that the SC pick alone made him better than the alternative. Hillary is just as much, if not more, of a war hawk than Trump. Add in awful domestic policies and likely some gun grabbing SC justice pick and it would have been a disaster.

I never liked Trump but he still is better than Hillary on certain issues and I can't really think of anything Hillary would have been better on. Still didn't vote for either though.
    Last edited by Rudeman; 04-27-2017 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    Well that is disappointing. Never thought I would see the day. Why we have the spending problems we have, every congressman "believes" there are a "few things our country should spend money on" Oh well, I am getting more and more jaded.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to klamath again."

I'm surprised to see Massie say that. Have we already lost him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast