Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rep. Massie on Trump’s First 100 Days: ‘Neil Gorsuch Was Worth the Entire Election’

I just checked ontheissues.org for Massie's immigration positions, and they don't have anything for him. Can anybody find quotes from him where he says his immigration position?
    http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Thomas_Massie.htm

I'm looking for what might explain his odd Trump support.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Conservative" supreme court pick John Roberts upheld Obamacare. Enough said. Well...no. Not enough said. Yes it's nice that we had a better pick than what Hillary would have done. But that would have happened even in Jeb Bush had become president. We have no idea what will ultimately become of Gorsuch. Time after time supreme court pics have ultimately disappointed those who pushed for their nomination. We'll see what happens this time. In the meantime the TSA is groping more than ever before. MAGA!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    I just checked ontheissues.org for Massie's immigration positions, and they don't have anything for him. Can anybody find quotes from him where he says his immigration position?
    http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Thomas_Massie.htm

I'm looking for what might explain his odd Trump support.

Rather than fight Donald Trump at every turn, Massie "saves his powder" by not directly attacking the man, but attacking bad policies put forward by the man, like Trumpcare. Praising Trump for the one arguably good thing Trump has done during these 100 days, nominating Neil Gorsuch, keeps Massie popular with the people that voted for him and Trump while at the same time not endorsing anything else Trump has done.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Jan2017

"April 6, 2017—After the Syrian government used chemical weapons on its people, ..."[138]

[138] http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...airfields.html

Very disappointing that the Trump administration couldn't or wouldn't take the time and effort to confirm if that was really true before its' blitzkreig cruise missile attack -
    that's some "achievement" - a solid "F" grade that supercedes all else, imo.

When the UN Commission comes to the same conclusion as it did in 2013 - that Assad government were not the ones crossing the "red line" and
    that in fact it was rebel faction(s) in Syria - even if possibly originally manufactured by some government -
    who were the ones responsible for using banned chemical agents against civilians . . .
    then, Trump is gonna start having real problems - I'd question if he could make it through one full-term.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    "April 6, 2017—After the Syrian government used chemical weapons on its people, ..."[138]

[138] http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...airfields.html

Very disappointing that the Trump administration couldn't or wouldn't take the time and effort to confirm if that was really true before its' blitzkreig cruise missile attack -
    that's some "achievement" - a solid "F" grade that supercedes all else, imo.

When the UN Commission comes to the same conclusion as it did in 2013 - that Assad government were not the ones crossing the "red line" and
    that in fact it was rebel faction(s) in Syria - even if possibly originally manufactured by some government -
    who were the ones responsible for using banned chemical agents against civilians . . .
    then, Trump is gonna start having real problems - I'd question if he could make it through one full-term.

lol.. you are making a mountain out of a 15 minute attack on an empty airbase..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You are making a molehill out of the mountain of the TSA groping more people than ever before. MAGA! Make America GROPE Again!

Jan2017

It really did show how Stalintrump isn't really thinking very much at all - shows he is incompetent to be making that sort of decision from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post

Rather than fight Donald Trump at every turn, Massie "saves his powder" by not directly attacking the man, but attacking bad policies put forward by the man, like Trumpcare. Praising Trump for the one arguably good thing Trump has done during these 100 days, nominating Neil Gorsuch, keeps Massie popular with the people that voted for him and Trump while at the same time not endorsing anything else Trump has done.
    Nothing else?

Massie explained that he loves using the Congressional Review Act to repeal regulations. He explained, “I lost track of how many we’ve done, and it was only used once successfully before Trump. and that was an OSHA rule with President George W. Bush that Bush was able to rescind a rule created during the Clinton era. I’m excited about all of those and more. but I’m particularly excited about the Social Security gun ban.”
    I would love for us to make progress on infrastructure. I am one of the most conservative members of Congress, and I serve on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee because I believe it’s vital to our country. it’s one of the few things our country should spend money on. I believe that there’s a constitutional and a federal nexus for it so I’d like to figure out how to address the nation’s infrastructure needs. Trump spoke to that on the campaign, and I think that a lot of Republicans and Democrats agree that we need this. So I believe that Trump can get the six votes he needs in the Senate to pass an infrastructure plan. We know he can get 218 in the House. I’m really excited he chose Elaine Chao to be Transportation Secretary.
    Massie cheered Trump nominating Scott Garrett to run the Export-Import Bank. He said:

He couldn’t pick a better person than Scott Garrett to run the Export-Import Bank. Obviously I want to eliminate the Export-Import Bank, but if there’s going to be someone to run, then Scott should run it. He’s the best person he can choose. It’s not in the win column, but it’s something for Congress to do, not the president. We should elect more people in Congress to get rid of the Export-Import Bank.
    Looking forward, Congressman Massie believes that tax reform can do some great work if it cuts Americans’ tax burden and does not add to the deficit. He said:

In spite of the caution, there’s a lot of opportunity in tax reform. I think what we should do instead of swallowing the entire apple whole, we should take several bites at it. I agree in large part with Stephen Moore and Larry Kudlow in their Wall Street Journal op-ed that we should take it slow and rack up some wins and realize that tax reform does not have to be revenue neutral. Revenue neutral means that someone’s taxes are going down and somebody’s taxes are going up.

“I would like us to see a real tax cut along with tax reform and we can accomplish that without increasing the deficit. We can make up the difference by cutting spending, especially in a lot of ways that works with Trump’s narrative. We spent a $100 billion in Afghanistan rebuilding their infrastructure…. I would like to see Trump bring that money back. That’s a great opportunity right there,” Massie concluded.
    Instead of behaving like a little child, Massie appears to be praising him where he agrees and also seems to be attempting to positively guide Trump on other issues.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 04-27-2017 at 02:49 PM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

It really did show how Stalintrump isn't really thinking very much at all - shows he is incompetent to be making that sort of decision from now on.
    What the $#@! are you talking about? Do you have any idea how much political capital was gained by attacking an empty airbase for 15 minutes? They stopped talking about the Russia scandal, China and Russia have his back, North Korea is crawling into a hole.. The mainstream media started treating him like an actual President instead of "literally" Hitler. Gorsuch was "literally" nominated the day after the attack!!!
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Jan2017

What the $#@! are you talking about?
    Trump did not gain political capital by the crazyman Stalin move . . . "to take out Assad chemical warfare capability, because Russia didn't do the job"

Stalintrump just made a fatal, wrong guess about who was at fault for the release of banned chemical warfare,
    and that the capability has escalated to air-to-surface missiles fired from Sukhoi Su-22s.

Before one issues a death sentence it is better to be sure you have identified the correct guilty party.

I maintain history will show that this Syria cruise missile attack executive order was a total fail - strategically, economically, ethically, politically, intellectually.
    Congress won't be giving this flippant, erratic, unthorough and unthoughtful potus much, if any, war powers now.
    Internationally, the world won't tolerate another Stalin . . . so I'll presume Trump will be dealt with accordingly like other crazies in history.

Gorsuch was literally nominated months ago and his confirmation vote was literally taking place that week regardless.

Whether or not the crater is the site that France "environmental sampling" confirms the "sarin signature"
    it is much like before when the UN Commission in 2014 finding it was rebels releasing surface-to-surface missiles for the "sarin signature" of three compounds - Obama showed restraint as Syria/Assad did not cross the red line after all -
    Trump just made Obama look smart in 2013 didn't he ?

Last edited by Jan2017; 04-27-2017 at 05:13 PM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump did not gain political capital by the crazyman Stalin move . . . "to take out Assad chemical warfare capability, because Russia didn't do the job"
    lol.. you are so wrong it is absolutely ridiculous. Again, the advantages Trump gained had NOTHING to do with Syria. One of my liberal friends who HATES Trump with a passion told me the next morning how glad he was that Trump bombed Syria. This friend represents the general sentiment of the brainwashed leftist media. The mainstream media completely changed their tune on Trump, and all the Russian stuff they were trying to use to impeach him totally disappeared. He gained massive political capital with the two biggest and most powerful countries in the world. The most important part of Gorsuch's nomination, which is the confirmation, WENT THROUGH the day after the bombing. It doesn't matter when it was scheduled, the fact is he got it through and it can easily be argued that bombing Syria may have brought some deep state reps to vote for Gorsuch's nomination.

And the bombing only lasted 15 minutes, and it was an empty airbase. It may as well have been a dream.. I was and am against it on principle, but man, I'm not sure there has ever been a more successful military mission in the history of the world..

Jan2017

lol.. you are so wrong it is absolutely ridiculous.
    I'm not sure there has ever been a more successful military mission in the history of the world..
    Wrong about what ?

Gorsund was being voted on Thursday regardless . . . they had determined they were using the "nuclear option" to be confirmed before the attack - maybe Tuesday. No Senate confirmation votes were changed because of the bonehead Stalin move by Trump at all.

What "deep-state" holdovers (?) . . . they picked up two Dems, the one Senator from Colorado who introduced him to the committee who had already said in the Denver Post that Sunday he would not filibuster - all GOP Senators were voting for confirmation was clear . . . if you watched the confirmation hearings.

Trump couldn't show restraint in using military action - as it turns out - against the wrong guilty party.
    That is not success - that is full retard. The objective to take out Syria chemical capabilities from that airbase - nothing changed.
    That will be FATAL to President Donald J. Stalintrump - politically, ethically, stategically, morally, economically.

It was a success only that they could fire the cruise missiles at all, days before the Russian battleship would block
    the Syria coast line from any further US cruise missiles from there. Trump got "rope-a doped" into using them at all, but he had to I guess, better then than never - but to no strategic advantage other than looking like a fool in the end.
    Worst military blunder ever by the dunce in the WH.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 04-27-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Wrong about what ?

Gorsund was being voted on Thursday regardless . . . they had determined they were using the "nuclear option" to be confirmed before the attack - maybe Tuesday. No Senate confirmation votes were changed because of the bonehead Stalin move by Trump at all.

What "deep-state" holdovers (?) . . . they picked up two Dems, the one Senator from Colorado who introduced him to the committee who had already said in the Denver Post that Sunday he would not filibuster - all GOP Senators were voting for confirmation was clear . . . if you watched the confirmation hearings.

Trump couldn't show restraint in using military action - as it turns out - against the wrong guilty party.
    That is not success - that is full retard. The objective to take out Syria chemical capabilities from that airbase - nothing changed.
    That will be FATAL to President Donald J. Stalintrump - politically, ethically, stategically, morally, economically.

It was a success only that they could fire the cruise missiles at all, days before the Russian battleship would block the coast line for any further US cruise missiles there.
    Yes, and that all could have easily fallen apart if Trump didn't react how they wanted him to react to their false flag attack, which was very likely planned the day before Gorsuch's nomination on purpose.

You think Trump is the only one trying to play 36D chess here? The deep state has been doing it for centuries, that is where we learned this $#@! from.

Jan2017

Yes, and that all could have easily fallen apart if Trump didn't react how they wanted him to react to their false flag attack, which was very likely planned the day before Gorsuch's nomination on purpose.
    Honestly, if Trump did nothing and waited for a higher degree of confidence in the "groundless" intel . . . the Senate confirmation vote would have been the same.

But yes, the deep state did convince him that he had to move right away . . . Russian navy was nearly there coming from the Black Sea for a few previous weeks.

Thomas Massie was one of the few who urged restraint - and need for more evidence. UN is not convinced by the USA case.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 04-27-2017 at 06:06 PM.

If we do get 15% corporate and business tax, I think that would be worth the entire election, at least for my business.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Nothing else?

Instead of behaving like a little child, Massie appears to be praising him where he agrees and also seems to be attempting to positively guide Trump on other issues.
    Ah yes. Ron Paul is behaving "like a little child" for taking Trump to the wood shed for his foreign policy and his trampling on civil liberties with the expansion of the power of the TSA. Make America Grope Again! MAGA!

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Ah yes. Ron Paul is behaving "like a little child" for taking Trump to the wood shed for his foreign policy and his trampling on civil liberties with the expansion of the power of the TSA. Make America Grope Again! MAGA!
    I was talking about *you*.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Jan2017

What the $#@! are you talking about? Do you have any idea how much political capital was gained by attacking an empty airbase for 15 minutes? They stopped talking about the Russia scandal, China and Russia have his back, North Korea is crawling into a hole.. The mainstream media started treating him like an actual President instead of "literally" Hitler. Gorsuch was "literally" nominated the day after the attack!!!
    One could interpret Massie as saying that Gorsund was the only positive of the first 100 days . . .
    in order for the GOP Senate block and delay of Obama's SCOTUS replacement to have worked
    (after Scalia's weird death while all alone and they'd cremate the body immediately, according to "law")
    the Senators got a GOP nominee elected to President instead of Madame Hillary for the nomination.

Sen. Patrick Leahy sure got made to look like another fine example of the need for term limits at the confirmation hearings.

Colorado was the first state to allow abortions for cases other than when mother's life was at risk . . .
    six years later was Roe v. Wade to make it a national precedent.
    But, so, Gorsund stated that Roe v. Wade is the law of the land.

As a Western judge, it was interesting when the confirmation hearings topic was about "states or state rights",
    and then Gorsund explanation used the interjection of "the states and reservations", from his West experience with the entities that the federal government has separate jurisdiction over.

Gorsund was also rather prolific as a 10th Circuit judge . . . 2700 cases in 10 year career there.
    The confirmation vote went pretty much along party lines, the EXACT same as it would have voted IF Trump acted presidential with an international situation 24 hours earlier.

Massie is happy the GOP got this SCOTUS confirmed . . .
    first Supreme Court Chief Justice John Jay would be encouraged by Gorsund refusing to get tricked by over-the-hill Senator Leahy,
    and the Senator from Nebraska got the hearing back from the dark ages of Dim stupidity.

Last edited by Jan2017; 04-28-2017 at 06:24 AM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

What the $#@! are you talking about? Do you have any idea how much political capital was gained by attacking an empty airbase for 15 minutes?
    lol.. you are so wrong it is absolutely ridiculous. Again, the advantages Trump gained . . .
    ... man, I'm not sure there has ever been a more successful military mission in the history of the world..
    If one gets really generous and considers that it is just that Trump is "ill-advised" . . . maybe he can eek out a grade of F+ for the 100 days.
    But then again, he chose to surround himself with "yes" men, when a dissenting voice in the room would make him look waaaay smarter than he really is.

IF . . . Stalintrump did decide to play with cruise missiles in some sicko chess game lobbing bombs and missiles -
    - all for political gain and/or your "political capital" - that is the most despicable of actions and reason to play tomahawks . . .
    Then the Trump grade card gets a F- . . . with either a public hanging or facing the guillotine welcomed.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 04-28-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Jan2017

What the $#@! are you talking about? ... China and Russia have his back, ...
    Ja, you are right 'bout dat . . . and btw, jus' waiting for Secret Service to take a mini-nap or get diverted by a Presidential Pee Party

Jan2017

fwiw, Senate Judiciary Chairman Sen. Grassley (R-IA) threw out a couple "softballs" to start the confirmation . . .

Grassley : "Would you have any trouble ruling against a President who appointed you ?"

Feinstein and old man Leahy get involved early in these highlights . . . Leahy brings up Obama-nominee Judge Garland of course

I agree with Massie . . .
    this was the one thing that the GOP "nuked" in that is different than Madame Hilly's first 100 days . . .
    and without the GOP Senate "nuclear option" Dems would have still been playing politics with a 4-4 Supreme Court probably.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 04-29-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Gonna have to disagree with you there, respectfully, Mr. Massie. Just like everyone else you believe that there is a "constitutional and federal nexus" for your pet project. THAT is why we are were we are.

Congratulations for you getting a clown in a gown that might "re-imagine" the founders beliefs because it is your pet project.
    I don't necessarily disagree with Massie that infrastructure spending is Constitutional and that some money should be spent on it. However, Trump is advocating a massive infrastructure spending bill. He's advocating spending a trillion dollars on infrastructure, when that's twice as much as what even Hillary proposed. It's funny that so many conservatives seem to support stimulus spending under Trump when they opposed it under Obama. And it's sad that Massie seems open to supporting it. Spending what is necessary to address infrastructure needs is quite different from having a 1 trillion infrastructure stimulus plan.
    Last edited by Brett85; 04-29-2017 at 06:49 PM.

As for Gorsuch, I'm a fan of him overall, and he's far better than anyone Hillary would've nominated. Still, I'm concerned he won't be great when it comes to protecting civil liberties. The conservative justices often rule in favor of the police over those accused of a crime. Other than that I think I'll agree with him on just about everything, but I imagine from time to time I'll find myself disagreeing with him on civil liberties. And he may be better on civil liberties than Roberts and Alito from looking at his record, but still not ideal.

If you're trying out for The Texan's job, you've got it.

Otherwise, ...yikes

Judge Nap: Gorsuch Brings 'Scalia-Like Dose of Skepticism About Gov't'
    Except that Scalia didn't bring enough. Some forget those bits and pieces of his opinions that were pure poochery, that nonsense he wrote about the 2A not being an unlimited right a good example.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I completely agree with the above statement--I didn't like Trump either--thought of him as an unprincipled loose cannon, but we are still SO MUCH better off not having witch Hillary in office. Can't think of one good thing she would have done for our country. Trump is doing some great things...we need to continue to watch and see...

Also I appreciate his talk about getting back to a gold standard. If he could pull this off to any extent, it would be a far better improvement than what we've had or what we would have had under HC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12