Thread: Should it be illegal to make these allegations online in this situation?

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

Should it be illegal to make these allegations online in this situation?

Keemstar And “Sir” Tony Ray: Internet Mob Mentality

On Saturday a post titled “Keemstar’s Drama Alert makes a 62 year old man cry” hit the front page of Reddit. Keemstar is a YouTube celebrity, who hosts a show called “Drama Alert.” The show centers on Keemstar talking about the personal lives and drama of YouTube celebrities. Recently, Drama Alert’s popularity exploded, with their recent exposure on pedophiles in the YouTube Minecraft community, specifically LionMaker.This video, created by Scarce, told a disturbing story. On Saturday, Keemstar had uploaded a video called “Runecape Sex Offender Returns” that a man called John Phillips, a convicted pedophile who used Runescape to try to have sex with teenagers online, had been released from jail and was now streaming on Twitch, a popular video streaming service.Turns out that the man Keemstar was talking about was still in jail, and the man streaming was someone else entirely. ‘Sir” Tony Ray is a 62 year old man who does nothing but stream Runescape. He has been streaming for 12 hours a day, for about a month. He would regularly interact with the few viewers he had, and would just spend time enjoying the game.The internet went insane, grabbing every pitchfork and racial epithet they could find, and headed straight for this guy’s stream. No way are we going to let this pedophile stick around! They bombarded him with hate on his Twitch stream, his Twitter, and his YouTube page. Eventually Drama Alert realized that they had made a mistake and took down the wrongful video, and issued an apology.Tony, after dealing with all this hate, starts to break down on stream. He says, while crying: “Now everyone in the world knows my real name is Tony Ray Winchester, I’m 62, I’m retired, I haven’t got my first social security check yet, but I’ll get it soon… I’m not going to let someone run me off… but you guys know I’m a good guy now, so I’m going to go take a break.”
    You May Like

The People Behind the Pixels

It’s a hard video to watch. Tony reminds us of an older father figure in our lives, and to see someone like that so vulnerable really hurts. Tony couldn’t sleep, so he hops back on Runescape after a few hours. At this point Scarce’s video had gone viral, gaining 300,000 views in a few hours. People flooded his stream, this time with positivity. Hearts and “we love you Tony” messages replaced the hate, with the stream reaching over 11,000 viewers that night. At the end of everything Tony says that this went from being the worst night of his life, to one of the best.For the last seven years “Sir” Tony Ray has played Runescape. It’s the only game he plays. He picked it up for his nephew and ended up loving it himself. His nephews and niece play with him in game, alongside his fellow clan members. Tony started streaming a month ago to try and recruit more members to his clan. As of Monday, he had almost reached 1000 members, enough to fill two whole clans.What happened is absolutely horrible, no doubt about that. There’s enough Keemstar hate out there, and I have no desire to jump into that mess. As gamers, we sometimes forget about the other people we are playing with. The hate has just become ingrained in the culture, a part of playing online games. I’d be lying if I said I never swore at what was obviously a young kid in League of Legends. You get wrapped up in all the negativity, becoming a part of it.In 2004, I played a game called “City of Heroes.” It was a multiplayer online game where you created a superhero and went on comic book style adventures. I had never played a game with actual people I could interact with, and I loved it. My sister, under the superhero name “Miss Mischief” and I would go on these 8+ plus hour missions with total strangers who also just loved playing the game. The goal was to have fun, maybe get a badge and a story out of it. We had no voice communication, so nobody really knew who we were.Times have changed, and the kids of the “Call of Duty” generation swarm like flies to attack their newest victim. Internet mobs have become a norm, with online personalities using their audience to attack whoever is deemed a worthy victim.People who were raised on the internet sometimes forget that there is another person on the other side of that screen. That there is a real person with feelings you can affect, someone whose day you can create or destroy with a single keyboard swipe.Tony reminds us of the good the internet can do. He has already forgiven Keemstar, something the rest of the internet might not yet be ready to do. He wants no donations, which is a crazy idea to the hundreds of other Twitch streamers who would kill for this sort of publicity. He just wants to have fun and play Runescape.Tony’s twitch is http://www.twitch.tv/rsgloryandgold and I recommend you check it out. It will add some positivity to your day. As a great man once said: “Yahhoooo!”
    Last edited by Lamp; 04-25-2017 at 05:12 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe, if it can be proven that the people who made the allegations knew they were wrong and put them out in order to slander the guy.. but this looks like it was an honest mistake.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

First, let us note that this is more than just someone using their free speech to call you a name and hurt your feelings. Keemstar attacked Tony's person, who he is. There is nothing more personal about a human being, nothing they own more, that who they are. When you undertake to destroy that then it is no different than if you were attacking their house, because their body and name are their property. Those are actually the fundamental properties, the ones all other property and liberties streams from. It is your personal humanity that demands your liberty and property be respected. That it was accidental is no excuse, just as it isn't an excuse when cops raid the wrong house or shoot the wrong people. When you do something you had best be ready to face the consequences and own up to the results. While I do not think the State should be involved because it is the worst monopoly conceivable, I do not think Tony would be in the wrong for demanding arbitration and some form of compensation for the wrong done to him.

That said, the fact that Tony has let it go, that is a wonderful, kind thing. That is worthy of respect. I'll go watch his Twitch and give him a view or two just because he took the higher road here.
    Last edited by PierzStyx; 04-25-2017 at 05:42 PM.

I have never slandered anyone but Danke and that does not count .
    Do something Danke

Should it be illegal to.....?

No.

If you say anything about me that is not true, then--I swear to God--I will--and I really mean it--I will cry so hard that you will regret it!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hehe I play runescape. Stupid, but addicting game- and a great way to escape real life for an hour or so every now and then.
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Maybe, if it can be proven that the people who made the allegations knew they were wrong and put them out in order to slander the guy.. but this looks like it was an honest mistake.
    Honest question- do you have to prove malice when your action based on untrue statements cause harm to someone?

(I don't believe hurt feelings qualify as a measurable harm, but damaged reputations do)
    No - No - No - No

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    The guy was accused of being a pedophile

Quote Originally Posted by HitoKichi View Post
    The guy was accused of being a pedophile
    If he can prove financial damage, then he can sue. Free speech isn't always pretty.

There was a progressive troll on here who called me a pedophile a number of times because I called out his trolling. I, and others, negged repped his ass until he became the RPF member with the most red bars in the history of this site. Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Irrelevant. Result is all that counts in such a situation.

Firstly, it amazes me how many people have no lives. Twelve HOURS a day? That has to set some bar for lame, but it's the man's prerogative. People should he held accountable for the things they claim as fact. Libel should be enforced with vigor and the punishments made to fit the results precipitated. Better that by far than arresting Johnny because he was blowing a spliff on the courthouse steps.

This internet society that has arisen is the very definition of lameness, but it is real and will not be going away barring the Reset. Therefore, IMO the libel and slander laws should be enforced because words matter and they precipitate real, physical harms upon people when used injudiciously. If this punk-ass chromosexual swivel-hip would have done his diligence prior to opening his yap, the poor and pathetic old guy would not have had the experience. I am fair to middling confident that some of the "hate" that was spewed at him included threats of violence. It's what powerless people do from behind their keyboards as they vent the frustrations of their miserable lives onto those they find convenient and minimally valid targets. We see this sad $#@! every day. I say this "Keemstar" pussy should see 90 days in county. Perhaps a dime dropped on that floor might earn him at least one good and richly deserved beating. Nothing too extreme, mind you; just a REALLY vivid lesson in why one is behooved to keep his tongue behind his teeth when he has no idea what in hell he otherwise would be talking about.

Had this über-phag expressed himself differently, perhaps he could be excused from culpability. "It SEEMS such and such is the case...", or "In my OPINION this guy...", and so forth. Then the onus shifts largely to those choosing to make the wrong inferences. But no... language is something to be taken for granted and as a triviality. OK, then one should suffer the consequences of the results his words bring.

"Keemstar" should see jail time and should face civil action to bust his personal economy in toto for at least five years. It may seem harsh, but imagine the risks that poor, pathetic old guy would have faced had the outcome not been better than it was. People are murdered for less. This kind of $#@!, perpetrated under the color of "free speech" needs to be nipped now. It won't, and this sort of things stands to get far worse. Great going, stupid, self-important, self-absorbed AmeriKans. These are some of the reasons the rest of the world hates you.

We now return to our regularly scheduled chaos.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

For slander against someone who is not a public figure you don't have to prove that the person making the allegations knew they were false, only that they were negligent in their regard for the truth. So, here's the million dollar (literally), question. Is a YouTube "celebrity" a "public figure?" And here's the catch-22. The more famous someone is on YouTube the more money he tends to make, so at one phase of the trial his lawyer would have to argue "Of course he's not a public figure. He just streams video games for the fun of it", but then, if he won, at the damages phase he would have to argue "He was a rising YouTube megastar and he lost future earning potential of X million dollars!"

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/prov...and-negligence
    Last edited by jmdrake; 04-27-2017 at 08:04 AM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    There was a progressive troll on here who called me a pedophile a number of times because I called out his trolling. I, and others, negged repped his ass until he became the RPF member with the most red bars in the history of this site. Problem solved.
    No no no doc... the solution to that problem is far more physical.

'Nuff said.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Honest question- do you have to prove malice when your action based on untrue statements cause harm to someone?

(I don't believe hurt feelings qualify as a measurable harm, but damaged reputations do)
    Only if you are a public figure. If you are not a public figure you can win by merely proving negligence.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/prov...and-negligence
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    First, let us note that this is more than just someone using their free speech to call you a name and hurt your feelings. Keemstar attacked Tony's person, who he is. There is nothing more personal about a human being, nothing they own more, that who they are. When you undertake to destroy that then it is no different than if you were attacking their house, because their body and name are their property. Those are actually the fundamental properties, the ones all other property and liberties streams from. It is your personal humanity that demands your liberty and property be respected. That it was accidental is no excuse, just as it isn't an excuse when cops raid the wrong house or shoot the wrong people. When you do something you had best be ready to face the consequences and own up to the results. While I do not think the State should be involved because it is the worst monopoly conceivable, I do not think Tony would be in the wrong for demanding arbitration and some form of compensation for the wrong done to him.

That said, the fact that Tony has let it go, that is a wonderful, kind thing. That is worthy of respect. I'll go watch his Twitch and give him a view or two just because he took the higher road here.
    ^^THIS^^
    There is no spoon.