Thread: Facebook's thought police

Facebook's thought police

Facebook's thought police
    By Edward Morrissey - April 25, 2017

The social panic and media hysteria over fake news continues unabated. And once again, Facebook's reaction is all wrong.

The left's intense focus on false news stories exploded in the wake of what seemed like an inexplicable Republican victory in the 2016 election, with Donald Trump beating Hillary Clinton despite an avalanche of bad press directed at the former, especially in the final weeks of the campaign. The GOP also unexpectedly retained control of the Senate, winning surprise victories in Wisconsin and Indiana to confound the Democratic Party's advantage in incumbent seats and normal presidential-cycle turnout models.

Attention quickly focused on a BuzzFeed story about traffic generated by stories on Facebook, and how much more popular fake news was over real news. The analysis had significant flaws, however, beginning with the fact that there was no evidence of correlation between Facebook traffic and voting behavior, let alone causation. Furthermore, the top five "real news" articles in the analysis turned out to be four opinion essays opposing Trump and the New York Post's story on Melania Trump's suggestive modeling pictures from two decades earlier.

Nonetheless, much of the left and the mainstream media stuck with the fake news narrative to explain the election outcome, and have continued to pressure Facebook to take action against it.
    Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg once scoffed at the allegation that Facebook news feeds were a factor in the decision process for voters, accusing those pushing that theory of "a certain profound lack of empathy" with Facebook's consumers. Last week, however, Fortune reported that Zuckerberg had "come around" on the fake news crisis, and announced new algorithms to challenge the credibility of items on news feeds, partnering with fact checkers, and having users drive the process of disputing news stories. He pointed to Facebook's earlier success in reducing the amount of clickbait in news feeds — stories with sensational headlines that rarely deliver on their promise — and pledged to adapt that approach to fake news.

However, Facebook's chief operating officer rejected calls for the company to set itself up as a kind of information police force. Sheryl Sandberg reminded critics that they do not publish news, but only provide a platform for their users to share it. "We definitely don't want to be the arbiter of the truth," Sandberg told the BBC. "We don't think that's appropriate for us. … Newsrooms have to do their part, media companies, classrooms, and technology companies."

Sandberg leaves out an important player in that equation: the consumer. If consumers want better news, then they need to seek it out. Consumers should not rely on a community-driven news feed for their information, but instead seek out original sources, determine which they can trust, and then verify information before sharing it.
    Facebook is a private-sector, voluntary-association community, and they can set up their system as they like. If they want to police news stories and block access to some based on their own assessment of credibility, that's their choice. It comes, however, at the expense of choice among their members, and in the most paternalistic manner conceivable.
    More: http://theweek.com/articles/694272/f...thought-police
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Facebook is a private-sector, voluntary-association community, and they can set up their system as they like. If they want to police news stories and block access to some based on their own assessment of credibility, that's their choice. It comes, however, at the expense of choice among their members, and in the most paternalistic manner conceivable.
    ... a community I can live without.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

He pointed to Facebook's earlier success in reducing the amount of clickbait in news feeds — stories with sensational headlines that rarely deliver on their promise — and pledged to adapt that approach to fake news.

Yeah, nobody in this history of mainstream press ever did that. What a terrible new scourge we have on our hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

FaceBook Thought Control Censors Liberty Hangout for Meme criticizing communism.

Meme:

FaceBook Thought Control response:

Facebook also previously blocked Liberty Memes
    over this meme:

FaceBook was so confident to standby their decision they also took down the posting of FB's removal notice:

FaceBook also deleted Being Libertarian for the following Meme:

OF course in all of FB's gloriously high "community standards" FB expressly found the following as meeting their double standards:

And another post that FB expressly finds meeting their high community "standards":
    Last edited by AZJoe; 05-13-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Eric July speaks out on FaceBook unpublishing their page:
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Another examples of FaceBook's consistent standards:

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AZJoe again

Welcome to diaspora*
    The online social world where you are in control.

diaspora* is based on three key philosophies:

Decentralization
    Freedom
    Privacy
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Facebook Targets Conservative Comedian Victim of Abusive Facebook Posts, Suspending the Victim for Posting the Abusive Posts. WTF?

Facebook has suspended a conservative comedian for posting screenshots of the abusive messages he received on the platform. … Terrence K. Williams has been temporarily suspended for posting screenshots of abuse and ridicule he received from liberals on the platform. …

This image was promptly removed by Facebook as they allegedly don’t allow posts that “bully private individuals.” …

“I don’t post all my threats anymore because I fear that Facebook may suspend my account … Facebook said they would ban me permanently if I kept posting screenshots of the death threats,” Williams said.

Williams stated that despite multiple reports drawing Facebook’s attention to the screenshots and the abuse he keeps receiving, Facebook failed to act. …

Williams said, “I do believe that Facebook is targeting not only conservatives but they’re really targeting minority conservatives such as myself and Diamond and Silk, they have a million followers and their posts are only reaching eight people are you serious? And Facebook does the same thing to me, I lose followers every day and I do not believe that my fans are going to my page to unfollow me.” …

[So Facebook's de facto position is that it will allow people to use its platform to bully nad threaten and intimidate certain individuals, but Facebook will punish the victims for posting the threats and bullying.]
    Last edited by AZJoe; 09-01-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    +Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Marenco View Post
    +Rep
    Spot on AZJoe...
    Last edited by Marenco; 09-18-2018 at 06:37 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The smallest minority is the Individual.

If Facebook did not have the power to influence elections, I would not care about its censorship. Due to its size however, it has a major influence on elections. Allowing Facebook to take over Elections with Censorship, you might just as well put the entire election in the hands of Zuckerberg himself.

Soon enough, ALL sites will be Facebook. Facebook will continue its actions, and ALL sites that Facebook does not like will have its links buried. EU is already planning to make it MANDATORY to have a LICENSE to post a Link to another Website or quote anything written on another website because they do not understand how the internet works.

These continued actions world wide that Centralizes ALL forms of meaningful communication. They use Censorship because IT WORKS.

Belief Money Violence

The Rulers of the world need TOTAL control of three things in order to maintain their power. Facebook came out of nowhere, enabled by the Internet, and is now a Major part in the manipulation of Belief. They already have the MSM and Education and Government Outlets in order to distort and assert as much control as possible over Belief.

For a true Monopoly, there can be NO other sources of information that challenge the Monopoly on Belief.

Facebook is the MINISTRY OF TRUTH.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Image wont come up since its hosted on Facebook.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Image wont come up since its hosted on Facebook.
    I can see it.

It is a message saying that a page named "Choking Prostitutes" does NOT violate fedbook community standards against promoting graphic violence.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Knowing what You Think, Inc. Who put the elf with no friends in charge of human connection?
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 12-27-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

An old song:

We've taken care of everything
    The words you hear, the songs you sing
    The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
    It's one for all, all for one
    We work together, common sons
    Never need to wonder how or why

We are the priests
    Of the Temples of Google
    Our great computers
    Fill the hollowed halls
    We are the priests
    Of the Temples of Facebook
    The details of your life
    Are held within our walls

Look around this world we made
    “Equality” our stock in trade
    Come and join the brotherhood of man
    Oh what a wide contented world
    Let the banners be unfurled
    Hold the red star proudly high in hand

We are the priests
    Of the Temples of Twitter
    Our great computers
    Fill the hollowed halls
    We are the priests
    Of the Temples of Facebook
    Your entire lives
    Are held within our walls
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I can see it.

It is a message saying that a page named "Choking Prostitutes" does NOT violate fedbook community standards against promoting graphic violence.
    Thats fine. I blocked Facebook on purpose. If I have to choose between facebook tracking me by images i view and on what websites, or not seeing the pic, I choose not seeing the pic.

$#@! Facebook. I am not for sale and I do not give my consent nor allow any action to be implied that I am somehow giving my consent.
    1776 > 1984

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.