Thread: $10 FRNs disappearing from circulation

$10 FRNs disappearing from circulation

Reports on the net of the $10 FRN disappearing and I personally confirmed from numerous local retailers that those notes are becoming scarce.

http://mysticalnumbers.com/number-10/

Number ten symbolizes the completion of a cycle.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    OK with me. Pretty much only time I use cash is when I need a stack of $1's
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I keep some 10's & 5's .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    OK with me. Pretty much only time I use cash is when I need a stack of $1's
    I figured they would quit making 1's and just go to 2's or 3's . Hell , you cannot buy anything with a 1.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I figured they would quit making 1's and just go to 2's or 3's . Hell , you cannot buy anything with a 1.
    1's work for a while but then they start asking for 20's
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

1's work for a while but then they start asking for 20's
    If you gotta get out 20's , may as well be married . LOL
    Do something Danke

As it happens, I track currency as a hobby. The March report from the BEP shows low print runs across the boards, but all denominations were printed. I think we will still be in series 2013 for a while yet due to the foot dragging in senate confirmation for a new Treasurer. What I think you will also see is that there are high runs of Jackson $20s in anticipation of the design and release of the new Tubman bills. No release date is set for those, or whether that decision will stick in the new administration.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

In all fairness, it takes a lot of time and effort to design bills that can only be counterfeited by the Federal Reserve. Gotta be careful to make sure not just anyone can print money out of thin air.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    As it happens, I track currency as a hobby. The March report from the BEP shows low print runs across the boards, but all denominations were printed. I think we will still be in series 2013 for a while yet due to the foot dragging in senate confirmation for a new Treasurer. What I think you will also see is that there are high runs of Jackson $20s in anticipation of the design and release of the new Tubman bills. No release date is set for those, or whether that decision will stick in the new administration.

The Board's FY 2017 order of 7.1 billion notes represents a decrease of almost 0.5 billion notes, or nearly 6.3 percent, from the FY 2016 order. Despite the smaller order, the number of notes in circulation increased 5.0 percent last year and the smaller order reflects increased private-sector recirculation of $10 and $20 notes. The FY 2017 order also does not include any $2 notes, as the FY 2016 order included notes needed to meet demand for multiple years.
    https://www.federalreserve.gov/payme...ncy_orders.htm

Zippy, do you have the exact figures showing the y/y printing of denominations? Betcha 10s were a denomination with a lower print run last year than the year before. Let's also remember that cash is constantly pulled out of circulation by the Fed and destroyed. Pull 10s out for destruction and print less and less each year and voila, 10s become scarce compared to other denoms.

eta: nm, your own chart shows this to be true. 10s are being pulled.
    Last edited by devil21; 04-27-2017 at 01:13 PM.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

They can always just use the ones from Monopoly....

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Zippy, do you have the exact figures showing the y/y printing of denominations? Betcha 10s were a denomination with a lower print run last year than the year before. Let's also remember that cash is constantly pulled out of circulation by the Fed and destroyed. Pull 10s out for destruction and print less and less each year and voila, 10s become scarce compared to other denoms.

eta: nm, your own chart shows this to be true. 10s are being pulled.
    It does not show notes pulled but does show fewer notes produced.

The print order is determined by denomination and is based on destruction rates and historical payments to and receipts from circulation.
    Despite the smaller order, the number of notes in circulation increased 5.0 percent last year
    Despite producing fewer notes, there were more total notes in circulation (meaning fewer pulled). It also noted:

the smaller order reflects increased private-sector recirculation of $10
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-27-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Is Trump thinking of putting his face on new ten dollar bills? gathering up all the old ones for replacement?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Is Trump thinking of putting his face on new ten dollar bills? gathering up all the old ones for replacement?
    By law, living people cannot have their faces on money in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    By law, living people cannot have their faces on money in the US.
    Trump should just declare that unconstitutional under commerce clause
    - Kim Kardashian

Trump should just declare that unconstitutional under commerce clause
    There's an executive order for that.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One other thing rabid trackers have noticed is that the yellow paper on large portrait $10s is not as durable as other denominations. I think part of the reason we see almost no $10s in good condition is that they are just too fragile. I handle thousands of these every year, so that might count for something.
    #NashvilleStrong

Check here for actual production reports.
    #NashvilleStrong