Thread: Dow Chemical asks Trump admin to set aside pesticide studies

Dow Chemical asks Trump admin to set aside pesticide studies

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/in...istration.html

MIDLAND, MI -- The Associated Press reports The Dow Chemical Co. and two other pesticide makers are pushing the Trump administration to "set aside" the findings of federal scientists who say organophosphates are harmful to about 1,800 critically threatened or endangered species.

The AP report is based on letters lawyers representing Dow and two other makers of organophosphates sent to the heads of three Cabinet agencies. Read the full report here.

https://apnews.com/a29073ecef9b4841b...letter_axiosam

The industry's request comes after EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt announced last month he was reversing an Obama-era effort to bar the use of Dow's chlorpyrifos pesticide on food after recent peer-reviewed studies found that even tiny levels of exposure could hinder the development of children's brains. In his prior job as Oklahoma's attorney general, Pruitt often aligned himself in legal disputes with the interests of executives and corporations who supported his state campaigns. He filed more than a dozen lawsuits seeking to overturn some of the same regulations he is now charged with enforcing.
    Bah, who cares about peer reviewed science. It's only brain development
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pruitt often aligned himself in legal disputes with the interests of executives and corporations who supported his state campaigns.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/in...istration.html

https://apnews.com/a29073ecef9b4841b...letter_axiosam

So you're saying the government should ban things?

Some of those pesticides/insecticides are nasty, nasty stuff. Whenever possible, for insects, I stick to neem oil and diatomaceous earth.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I am going to buy and convert that empty lot adjacent to your home into a chicken farm and butchery, it is going to be noisy, stinky, with lots of commercial traffic coming and going carting off poultry and bio-hazards, your home life is going to become unbearable, so you will demand for me to move, I will tell you deal with it or move elsewhere yourself, you will want to sue me for damages and will go to the government's courts for assistance--then I shall laugh at your hypocrisy.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    I am going to buy and convert that empty lot adjacent to your home into a chicken farm and butchery, it is going to be noisy, stinky, with lots of commercial traffic coming and going carting off poultry and bio-hazards, your home life is going to become unbearable, so you will demand for me to move, I will tell you deal with it or move elsewhere yourself, you will want to sue me for damages and will go to the government's courts for assistance--then I shall laugh at your hypocrisy.
    Agreed. Civil actions are much preferable to goonerment regulations.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

I have no trust of "federal" scientists. Don't be shocked if it's discovered that Monsanto is behind this.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Realistically, yes. If this was the ideal world it would be another matter. However since we're in a country that often has crony capitalism then some things have to be regulated as the citizen would have no recourse to correct the problem. Slippery slope argument for sure. Bare minimum of regulations. For example, I'm alright with DDT no longer allowed to be sprayed everywhere by anyone. It wasn't used responsibly and affected the entire ecosystem.

With current food labeling laws a consumer would have no idea that they're buying produce that used these pesticides so the free market can not decide here.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Realistically, yes. If this was the ideal world it would be another matter. However since we're in a country that often has crony capitalism then some things have to be regulated as the citizen would have no recourse to correct the problem. Slippery slope argument for sure. Bare minimum of regulations. For example, I'm alright with DDT no longer allowed to be sprayed everywhere by anyone. It wasn't used responsibly and affected the entire ecosystem.

With current food labeling laws a consumer would have no idea that they're buying produce that used these pesticides so the free market can not decide here.
    Yep. This place definitely isn't what it used to be. The liberals win.

Strawman.

But I believe *the states* have a right to make zoning laws.

$#@!ing liberals.

You should read this before you dismiss DDT as an alright pesticide.

Everything You Learned About The Cause of Polio Is Wrong
    http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/eve...se-polio-wrong
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

This actually happens, the Right to Farm act allows just this sort of behavior. A large dairy operation was put in my area a decade or so ago, I'm glad I'm not one of the houses near by. Another dairy farm is working on plans to open down the road from this one. The township supervisor lives right between the two, someone commented he's going to enjoy the smell no matter which way the wind is blowing. The land is zoned agriculture so it's being used as intended.

I grew up near a large hog farmer. Other than the occasional humid day when the wind was just right I never really was bothered. I do miss the smell of the drying grain in the fall.