Thread: Vinyl Sales Aren't Dead: The 'New' Billion Dollar Music Business

Exclamation Vinyl Sales Aren't Dead: The 'New' Billion Dollar Music Business

Vinyl Sales Aren't Dead: The 'New' Billion Dollar Music Business

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanp.../#32f1f56c4054

Vinyl records are projected to sell 40 million units in 2017, with sales nearing the $1 billion benchmark for the first time this millennium. This impressive milestone has been untouched since the peak of the industry in the 1980s. While explosive by today’s standards, according to Deloitte, in its heyday (‘81), total vinyl album sales surpassed 1 billion units in just that year alone.

The record industry’s hunters and gatherers have been busy collecting. According to Deloitte, new vinyl records and revenue will enjoy a seventh consecutive year of double-digit growth in 2017. But the slice of the pie is still a very small one - with broader music industry revenues projected to be approximately $15 billion this year, vinyl will account for only 6%.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Now, take a moment to consider:

How many other "retro" technologies have been left behind in the dust of "progress" that may have, in fact, been better that what was promoted to replace them?

Or consider how big the market would be for "retro" devices that are prohibited to you by various fatwas issued by Uncle Sucker's regulatory jihadists?

Imagine a world where you could buy a simple and affordable car that was not festooned with 15 explosive blimps in the passenger cabin, 5000 computers and more software than a Space Shuttle?

Or a washing machine that :gasp: fills up with water and actually washes them, thus rendering them clean?

Light bulbs that light?

Gas cans that have spouts that pour fuel?

Or any number of devices and appliances that actually do what they are supposed to do.

My vision of vinyl;

Yeah, $#@! these light bulbs:

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

LED light bulbs are like $2 at home depot and I don't think they burn out, no toxic mercury, it's a better deal I think.

Rand Paul's speeches were still epic tho.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

How many other "retro" technologies have been left behind in the dust of "progress" that may have, in fact, been better that what was promoted to replace them?

Or consider how big the market would be for "retro" devices that are prohibited to you by various fatwas issued by Uncle Sucker's regulatory jihadists?

Imagine a world where you could buy a simple and affordable car that was not festooned with 15 explosive blimps in the passenger cabin, 5000 computers and more software than a Space Shuttle?

Or a washing machine that :gasp: fills up with water and actually washes them, thus rendering them clean?

Light bulbs that light?

Or any number of devices and appliances that actually do what they are supposed to do.
    I sure do miss having a case of dynamite to clean out logjams in the creek . All muh gas cans came from yard sales so at least they pour , I feel badly for any poor soul trying to use one of those worthless new ones . I have a good washer but I had to drop 950 for it . Also guess I will just drive my 04 F150 until I die .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    LED light bulbs are like $2 at home depot and I don't think they burn out, no toxic mercury, it's a better deal I think.

Rand Paul's speeches were still epic tho.
    They flicker though and that's really annoying when you get the cheap ones or are one that can detect the flicker.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'll bet they can't replicate Monty Python's three sided "Matching Tie and Handkerchief" album on a CD.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    They flicker though and that's really annoying when you get the cheap ones or are one that can detect the flicker.
    Yeah , I have them in the bathroom and on the back porch . I see that flicker in the bathroom . Porch though of course is no matter .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Yeah , I have them in the bathroom and on the back porch . I see that flicker in the bathroom . Porch though of course is no matter .
    These are about as close to the old bulbs as I could find.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They dim nicely too.

I knew the old collection would come in handy.

The irony with the new vinyl obsession is the kids that have no technical knowledge of the signal chain. They think that some digitally recorded, digitally mastered, compressed, peak reduced, trimmed album with no dynamic range will sound better on vinyl. What can you expect from generations raised on low quality MP3s?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I knew the old collection would come in handy.

The irony with the new vinyl obsession is the kids that have no technical knowledge of the signal chain. They think that some digitally recorded, digitally mastered, compressed, peak reduced, trimmed album with no dynamic range will sound better on vinyl. What can you expect from generations raised on low quality MP3s?
    Yes, this.

For the medium to truly come to life, you need a full analog signal, from pickup, to mixing, to production.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I'll bet they can't replicate Monty Python's three sided "Matching Tie and Handkerchief" album on a CD.
    http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart...onty_match.htm
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    My vision of vinyl;

No Contact. No Wear. - http://elpj.com/113-2/

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Light bulbs that light?

and Toilets that flush.. every time

I have vinyl somewhere.. and a turntable - just no needles anymore
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Yes, this.

For the medium to truly come to life, you need a full analog signal, from pickup, to mixing, to production.
    I reject this premise.

I think high sample rate, high bit depth uncompressed PCM audio can be put onto a record and sound the same or better as tape being used as an intermediate medium. It will certainly be more accurate.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Very valid point.

The trick is to ensure that it is both mixed and mastered for that specific medium.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I reject this premise.

I think high sample rate, high bit depth uncompressed PCM audio can be put onto a record and sound the same or better as tape being used as an intermediate medium. It will certainly be more accurate.
    Of course you do...

Of course you do...
    I am actually an expert on the topic.

Have you taken the test - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Listening-Test

I'm sure you are...

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Actually yes I can tell a difference but it is slight. Granted a few things, I do have a trained ear, and I do have an exceptional system hooked up to my computer. If the music in question were a little more dynamic it would be more obvious.

That being said, since most modern popular music is compressed with virtually zero dynamic range, the 8bit vs 16bit question is the wrong question to ask. What should be asked is whether or not people can tell the difference between PCM 44.1k, 64k, or 96k. And with MP3s if they can tell the difference between 128, 192, 320, etc, VBR or CBR. I am guessing that most cant, including myself. The exception being very organic music on a high end system (jazz or classical or vox on like Gradoes)

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And lets hear it for album art too!
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!