Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyber attack the cause of power outages?

Cyber attack the cause of power outages?

Looks like those CIA hacking tools that got out into the wild are being used...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...-grid-failures

The U.S. power grid appears to have been hit with multiple power outages affecting San Francisco, New York and Los Angeles.
    Officials report that business, traffic and day-to-day life has come to a standstill in San Francisco, reportedly the worst hit of the three major cities currently experiencing outages.
    Power companies in all three regions have yet to elaborate on the cause, though a fire at a substation was the original reason given by San Francisco officials.
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fluke of nature....

What a hit to the local economy that would be on a Friday. What better demonstration could a superpower give us? Supposedly the Russians have microwave technology that can shut down our nuclear powered carriers. They did have a spy plane patrolling our west coast as well for the last few days. I am sure it was just a fire though, how often does power go out in California though anyway?

Jan2017

Coincidence (?)

NY : The first outage occurred at around 7:20am Friday in New York at the Seventh Avenue and West 53rd Street subway station,
    which sent out a shockwave of delays out from the hub.

LA : Later in the morning, power outages were reported in Los Angeles International Airport, as well as in several other areas around the city.

SF : Traffic lights were out at scores of intersections, and cars were backing up on downtown streets as drivers
    grew frustrated and honked at each other.

Power outage cripples San Francisco for seven hours

A massive power outage threw San Francisco into chaos for most of the work day on Friday, knocking out traffic signals,
    paralyzing businesses and halting the city's famed cable cars.

The blackout started just after 9 a.m. (noon ET/1600 GMT) and at one point affected nearly 90,000 customers, according to PG&E.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN17N27T

Last edited by Jan2017; 04-22-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Jan2017

Related . . .

Hackers hit D.C. police closed-circuit camera network, city officials disclose

Hackers infected 70 percent of storage devices that record data from D.C. police surveillance cameras eight days before President Trump’s inauguration, forcing major citywide reinstallation efforts, according to the police and the city’s technology office.

City officials said ransomware left police cameras unable to record between Jan. 12 and Jan. 15.
    The cyberattack affected 123 of 187 network video recorders in a closed-circuit TV system for public spaces across the city.

Brian Ebert, a Secret Service official, said the safety of the public or protectees was never jeopardized.

Archana Vemulapalli, the city’s Chief Technology Officer, said the city paid no ransom and resolved the problem
    by taking the devices offline, removing all software and restarting the system at each site.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.f5fca24befef
    Last edited by Jan2017; 04-22-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Related . . .

Hackers hit D.C. police closed-circuit camera network, city officials disclose

Hackers infected 70 percent of storage devices that record data from D.C. police surveillance cameras eight days before President Trump’s inauguration, forcing major citywide reinstallation efforts, according to the police and the city’s technology office.

City officials said ransomware left police cameras unable to record between Jan. 12 and Jan. 15.
    The cyberattack affected 123 of 187 network video recorders in a closed-circuit TV system for public spaces across the city.

Brian Ebert, a Secret Service official, said the safety of the public or protectees was never jeopardized.

Archana Vemulapalli, the city’s Chief Technology Officer, said the city paid no ransom and resolved the problem
    by taking the devices offline, removing all software and restarting the system at each site.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.f5fca24befef
    Gives me hope that someday a benevolent haker group will set loose a self-propagating virus that will affect only goon systems and the goonerment goonsquad will have no way to correct the situation giving rise to "we the people" realizing that they have no need for a goonerment...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

It's going to get much more interesting very soon. I hope everyone has been listening to the warnings about having water, non-perishable food, small cash bills for exchange, etc. The reset is approaching quickly. Hopefully it will be a short (say, 30-60 days) disruption but it has to happen.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

SF had a substation fire in the city. Happens every once in a while. Most likely SNAFUs rather than coordinated cyber attack. But now that you mention it, someone will probably blame Iran or NK...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    It's going to get much more interesting very soon. I hope everyone has been listening to the warnings about having water, non-perishable food, small cash bills for exchange, etc. The reset is approaching quickly. Hopefully it will be a short (say, 30-60 days) disruption but it has to happen.
    It is going to be a few days max. The preppers will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Any "prepper" worth a salt wouldn't be living in a city. Placing oneself in the middle of what would become chaos is pretty much the opposite of preparation for a SHTF scenario.

OMG was it terrorists??
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    OMG was it terrorists??
    'Twas!

We need more laws to prevent power outages!

Just got word that there was a major power event at ORNL that affected the datacenter.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Just got word that there was a major power event at ORNL that affected the datacenter.
    Power outages have been happening for quit some time. Several instances have been sabotage which woud require some experience to get in and out before anyone can get there. I've liked to most of these instances as they've popped up. Search the forum.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-22-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Network was down for at least couple systems at OLCF, I think they are back up now.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Apparently there was scheduled work on one of the power rails that went awry.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    SF had a substation fire in the city. Happens every once in a while. Most likely SNAFUs rather than coordinated cyber attack. But now that you mention it, someone will probably blame Iran or NK...
    I am looking forward to hearing Kim claim this in a press release . Super , Mighty preemptive strike .
    Do something Danke

Not a good idea to threaten Julian Assange.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

There was a big CME that's peak effect reached us around 4/22 1pm central time. Could have been solar/geomagnetic related. There was an article at ZH about it.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...magnetic-storm

When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Whoever did it (if anyone), I'm mad as hell. I was stuck on the A train for 2 hours, for my "45 minute" commute.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    OMG was it terrorists??
    It was the Axis of Evil. Or the Duck of Death.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    Whoever did it (if anyone), I'm mad as hell. I was stuck on the A train for 2 hours, for my "45 minute" commute.
    That happened about once a month when I took a train. Usually suicide by train brought the system to a halt.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    There was a big CME that's peak effect reached us around 4/22 1pm central time. Could have been solar/geomagnetic related. There was an article at ZH about it.

Did you see the map of power disruptions on the ZH entry? Odd that it only seemed to affect certain cities with Federal Reserve bank branches.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I hope you're right but my research has found multiple insiders over the years warning to prepare for 30 day outage scenarios as part of the financial reset. A few days seems mighty short for shutting everything down and restarting under a different economic system.
    Last edited by devil21; 04-22-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Cry me a river, I live in Atlanta.
    “…I believe that at this point in history, the greatest danger to our freedom and way of life comes from the reasonable fear of omniscient State powers kept in check by nothing more than policy documents.”

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I hope you're right but my research has found multiple insiders over the years warning to prepare for 30 day outage scenarios as part of the financial reset. A few days seems mighty short for shutting everything down and restarting under a different economic system.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    That happened about once a month when I took a train. Usually suicide by train brought the system to a halt.
    I was ON a train that cut someone's legs off last year. It was resolved MUCH faster than this.

I've been using the MTA for 6 years now; nothing like this has happened while I was on it since then. The conductor even gave us a phone number to call for "excused absences" at work.

Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post
    Cry me a river, I live in Atlanta.
    HAHAHAHA
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

I was ON a train that cut someone's legs off last year. It was resolved MUCH faster than this.
    If they are taken away in an ambulance, then they can get going faster. If there is a death, at least in California, they have to wait for a coroner to remove the body, and probably do an investigation. It takes hours even if they rush, and they usually are in no rush. Commuters be damned. Official CYA and bureaucratic procedure trumps mundane inconvenience.

The conductor even gave us a phone number to call for "excused absences" at work.
    People are required to give "excused absences" to their work as if they were schoolchildren?

Employment is dead. Long live small business

Yesterday's Broad Power Outage Likely Caused By Geomagnetic Storm

Plausible deniability? Maybe. Could be a fluke of nature also. The intelligent mind must entertain both the ideas that this could be either a Cyber Terror Attack or simply a Geomagnetic Storm, without either accepting or rejecting the ideas until all the facts have been taken into consideration.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

My power just went out for 5 minutes!

Pretty sure it's because of the heavy rains and possibly a car or tree hitting a power pole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast