Thread: @you military people

@you military people

Okay, my dad died a few days ago. He was in the army for a time in teh 60s. Never was wounded or decorated or anything super special, AFAIK. I'm trying to figure out if Uncle Sam owes my mother and the family survivor's benefits. Webbernet searches are for suck in this department. Any help is appreciated. We're keeping the funeral small, but it would be nice to help mom pay her bills and whatnot if Uncle Sam owes us anyhoo. Thnx. ~hugs~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not that people here would not know, but you might also want to post your question on Yahoo Military Answers. I visit and post there almost daily. See here: https://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index/...?sid=396545449.

There are a lot of insulting people on there, but there are also some knowledgeable people. If needed, post your question more than once because the board questions don't bump.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 04-21-2017 at 03:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I am guessing you checked the VA: https://www.va.gov/opa/persona/dependent_survivor.asp. Guessing they just give basics and even stonewall in a lot of cases.

I like NOLO because it's an authoritative source. If this site is not complete, then you could probably sit and look at this book in a book store. The free websites have the basics, but the NOLO books go a little more in-depth. Even at that, it's still often the basics. http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...e-members.html
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 04-21-2017 at 03:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Not much. A flag and maybe a few hundred dollars. Sorry about your Dad HB. RIP
    Last edited by klamath; 04-21-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

First let me tell you that I am sorry for your loss HB. Specifics are generally important as certain benefits have changed through the years. If there is an American Legion Post in your area you should contact them. Members are mostly ex-military and knowledgeable in these matters.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Okay, my dad died a few days ago. He was in the army for a time in teh 60s. Never was wounded or decorated or anything super special, AFAIK. I'm trying to figure out if Uncle Sam owes my mother and the family survivor's benefits. Webbernet searches are for suck in this department. Any help is appreciated. We're keeping the funeral small, but it would be nice to help mom pay her bills and whatnot if Uncle Sam owes us anyhoo. Thnx. ~hugs~
    I am sorry or the loss of your Father . Check at your local Legion or VFW and there may even be a VA Rep listed in the phonebook . They will normally provide a flag for the ceremony , a small grave marker.
    Do something Danke

Funerals are actually pretty expensive . Even a small life ins policy helps . If your Mother is going to owe after let us know and some of us might be able to chip in on the bill .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also , notify social security for you Mother . They kick in like a 100 bucks or so on a one time basis for spousal funeral expenses .
    Do something Danke

Every VA has a patient advocate. The one here in Topeka is a great guy for finding info. The wife is partially disabled Air Force vet. I think the patient advocate is like former cavalry scout or something.

Anyway, the patient advocates are the people who know the people you need to talk to if they don't have the info themselves.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

I'm very sorry to hear, HB. May his spirit soar.

This is the song I want at my funeral:

I'm sorry about your father.

It appears that it is all good advice given here.

My dad was a vet from WW2 and died in the early '80's. My mom got a folded flag, a couple of hundred bucks towards a funeral, and a signed, "signed", or robosigned letter from Ronny Reagan.

There are a couple of new veterans cemeteries in my area. I think admission is free.

However, there is one caveat. Spouses are buried directly above the first occupant to save space and keep the rows straight.

Rest his soul. I'm sorry brother. I lost my father recently, also.

To your question: Did your father retire out of the military (ie 20 years of service, medical retire, etc.)? If he did not and only served a term or two, he is still entitled to a military burial (meaning honor guard to present the flag, etc, not paying for funeral), but not much in terms of $$. There may be some benefits for things like serving in combat theaters like Vietnam, etc.

I agree with the above posters that you should check with a local VFW, VA Advocate, etc. Here in AZ there are VFW's all over. Phoenix area has a couple VA offices, but I've had the most success at the VA clinic in Gilbert on Val Vista. They are very helpful and take time answering all your questions plus all the volunteers there are old WW2, Korean War, Vietnam War vets and pretty much know more than the staff.

Hope this helps.

And I would also be more than willing to donate were you to request assistance.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Rest his soul. I'm sorry brother. I lost my father recently, also.

To your question: Did your father retire out of the military (ie 20 years of service, medical retire, etc.)? If he did not and only served a term or two, he is still entitled to a military burial (meaning honor guard to present the flag, etc, not paying for funeral), but not much in terms of $$. There may be some benefits for things like serving in combat theaters like Vietnam, etc.

I agree with the above posters that you should check with a local VFW, VA Advocate, etc. Here in AZ there are VFW's all over. Phoenix area has a couple VA offices, but I've had the most success at the VA clinic in Gilbert on Val Vista. They are very helpful and take time answering all your questions plus all the volunteers there are old WW2, Korean War, Vietnam War vets and pretty much know more than the staff.

Hope this helps.

And I would also be more than willing to donate were you to request assistance.
    He got honorable discharge after he did his required time there. It wasn't a career for him. My mom seems to have things straightened out so far, but I'll let RPFs know if I need a chip-in or something. I was told we're planning on doing a cremation, so not a huge burial expense AFAIK.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 04-21-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I am so sorry for your loss. Call the VA. They will ask you to submit original copies of everything, so make sure you get extra copies of the death certificate, your mom and dad's marriage certificate, birth certificates, etc. that's thrnmost helpful thing I can offer.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

*Hugs* to you HB. I'm so sorry for your loss.

As others have said, there are decent resources to find out but you will need to find his DD214 (discharge papers) for specific to his service time, answers. If it's not in his papers, you can get his SS number and go on VA.gov to request a copy.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.