Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2 Percenters

Exclamation The 2 Percenters

The 2 Percenters

https://ericpetersautos.com/2017/04/...comment-662202

By eric - April 19, 2017

Hell’s Angels refer to themselves as 1 percenters. Soon, those of us who prefer to drive ourselves – as opposed to the car driving itself – will be 2 percenters.

That’s right out of the mouth of Mazda’s North American CEO, Masahiro Moro . . . kinda sorta.

Mazda – which has about a 2 percent market share – will not automate its cars. Or at least, there will be an Off switch. Moro says his company will hew to their motto, Driving Matters – and for Mazda, that doesn’t mean taking the driver out of the equation.

“We believe driving pleasure should never die,” he says.

As opposed to the rest of the industry – which is doing everything it can to kill it.

The first self-driving Cadillacs come out in just a few months (2018 models) and Mercedes and BMW cars already have self-driving capabilities. It’s not just the high-end stuff, either. Within five years, possibly a lot sooner, most new cars will have at least some “autonomous” or self-driving capability built in. Many new cars are already capable of parking themselves – just push a button and let go of the wheel.

Ford promises cars without steering wheels at all within four years. Steering wheels being as superfluous in an autonomous car as a gas tank in an electric car.

Whether it is market demand or a pushy industry that has embraced autonomous cars as the ultimate form of automotive idiot-proofing that’s driving all this is debatable. On the one hand, it’s inarguable that Americans, in the main, have grown incredibly passive – and not just behind the wheel.

They have been reduced to this by endless hectoring about “safety” – which has become synonymous with ludicrously over-cautious driving and an almost religious worship of all traffic laws and regulations, no matter how situationally idiotic (viz, coming to a complete stop at the crest of a steep grade when it’s a blizzard outside – because there’s a stop sign there, even if no other cars are there – and thus, losing momentum and becoming stuck . . . as well as everyone else behind the law-cuck getting stuck, too).

Driving skills are no longer taught – much less expected. They are actively discouraged – in favor of what is termed “defensive” driving, which is Safety Cult argot for passivity and law-cuckery.

At the same time, punishment for not driving “defensively” – even if expertly – has become Abu Ghraib-esque.

This wilts the urge to drive.

In my capacity as an Automotive Journalist, I have Q&A’d lots of people of various ages and walks of life and many of them tell me that driving has become a chore – and a bore.

Your choices are two, they observe:

One, you can drive “defensively” – in which case it’s absurd to be driving anything more zesty than a four cylinder Camry and purposeless torture to be driving a V6 Camry.

Driving becomes soporific, tedious.

Especially if you are not a “defensive” driver – and actually know how to – and like to – drive. Long road trips are excruciating. In almost any modern car – even a Hyundai Accent or similar little econobo – driving the speeeeeeeeeeeed limit (for saaaaaaaaaaaaaafety) for four or five hours is not unlike a high school kid in the full bloom of youth and vigor being made to shuffle along at the pace of an 80-year-old with diabeetus.

It is hard not to fidget – or nod off.

The disconnect between what cars – even the least of them – are capable of and what we are allowed to do with them has never been more extreme. It is no wonder they fill them all with really good stereos, LCD displays and other stuff to take the driver’s mind off of the fact that he is not doing much (or allowed to do much) in the way of driving.

Hence the appeal of automated cars.

It is the obvious Next Step, a collective heave of despair, an accommodation of a kind of rape. Bye, bye autonomy – us in control. Hello, autonomous cars, driven by computers controlled by the same people who’ve made driving insufferable or illegal and done all they can to rid us of any desire to have anything to do with it.

Literally, we might as well lie back and enjoy it.

Or, you could choose to be a 2 Percenter.

Refuse to let go of the steering wheel; make them pry it from your cold, dead hands if it comes down to that. Trust your judgment and skill. If the law makes sense, follow it. If not . . . well, not.

There are fewer and fewer such.

I count myself among them. I employ illegal (in my state) countermeasures, such as my faithful Valentine1 radar detector – which I never leave home without (and neither should you, if you’re not a “defensive” driver).

I do not obsequiously – mindlessly – obey every traffic law and regulation, most especially those pertaining to things that are no one else’s business, such as whether I am or am not wearing a seat belt but also those pertaining to actions that involve no harm to anyone and which are obviously absurd to follow as if they were moral injunctions, such as speed laws and laws forbidding the turning of right on red and demanding full stops at stop signs even in the middle of blizzards and even if there are no other cars around.

I like to drive – which means, making use of the skill I have acquired over many years actually driving the things. . . . as opposed to being a seat warming “defensive” driver.

Mazda’s Moro is, therefore, my kind of people. A fellow driver and so, an outlaw, too. God bless him.

And, preserve us.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's a three way intersection, where eastbound cars turn right, south (bc continuing east is a virtual dead end) and northbound cars turn left, west (bc Turing right is the same virtual dead end). So the two main traffic flows never cross in front of each other and there's really no reason to come to a full stop as once you see the other car turning, you're "protected" and can also turn. This is a great law-cuck identifier. Occasionally one will completely stop, wait a second or two AFTER the other car began the turn, then take off. Everyone else basically slows to <10, then goes. It's actually more of a safety hazard when a chuck stops, as now the chain reaction of stops propogates down the 15-20 cars waiting to turn.

$#@! a bunch of cucks and computer cars.

Ya , I am not buying or driving any self driving crap . If it gets to where I cannot rent a car when I need something nobody can recognize I will just borrow Dankes SUV when he is out of town.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Ya , I am not buying or driving any self driving crap . If it gets to where I cannot rent a car when I need something nobody can recognize I will just borrow Dankes SUV when he is out of town.
    LOL, yeah..."borrow"...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    LOL, yeah..."borrow"...

LOL
    Do something Danke

LOL, yeah..."borrow"...

If Danke was wealthy and had a real job he would probably have horses . Then in a pinch I could borrow a horse from him . As a youngster I was warned against having friends like Danke .
    Do something Danke

I wonder if mazda would consider a huge comfortable car - like old station wagons - with big bench seats (front and back), butterfly windows.. those were the only cars that I could handle a road trip in..
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I wonder if mazda would consider a huge comfortable car - like old station wagons - with big bench seats (front and back), butterfly windows.. those were the only cars that I could handle a road trip in..
    Can't.

Thanks to Uncle Sucker's fatwas.

Full bench seats will not pass NTSB head, anti whiplash and rollover protection requirements.

That's why even standard cab pickups have Apollo 11 seats.

That's not even addressing the fuel economy fatwas that would kill a big road boat.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-20-2017 at 05:27 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mazda – which has about a 2 percent market share – will not automate its cars. Or at least, there will be an Off switch. Moro says his company will hew to their motto, Driving Matters – and for Mazda, that doesn’t mean taking the driver out of the equation.
    That's why the Big 3 will lobby to make them mandatory.

I was just talking about this on a job a couple weeks ago. I said they can take my steering wheel out of my cold, dead hands. And they probably will.
    "The Patriarch"

Not a fan of computer cars either...but driving oneself around used to be a thing for the Little People and plebians. The Big People had drivers cart them about. It's another trend that will go and come again.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 04-20-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I must be in the minority. I'd like to be sipping a bourbon in the back seat while my car takes me where I want to go. I also drive I-95 often and believe a computer would a upgrade to about 30% of the drivers on that road. They spend half the time looking at the road and half looking at their phone.

Can't.

Thanks to Uncle Sucker's fatwas.

Full bench seats will not pass NTSB head, anti whiplash and rollover protection requirements.

That's why even standard cab pickups have Apollo 11 seats.

That's not even addressing the fuel economy fatwas that would kill a big road boat.
    I'm a pickup man, myself. Towing and hauling are sort of daily requirements in my family.

Question for you AF: What year truck would you recommend buying if you were in the market? Most new trucks are getting lighter and lighter (Thanks CAFE Standards!) and they are being made of less and less steel and more aluminum alloys that bend/dent like wrapping paper.

Basically, I don't want to get anything too old, but I don't want to get anything too new because they are being made so poorly as of late.

Thoughts?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I'm a pickup man, myself. Towing and hauling are sort of daily requirements in my family.

Question for you AF: What year truck would you recommend buying if you were in the market? Most new trucks are getting lighter and lighter (Thanks CAFE Standards!) and they are being made of less and less steel and more aluminum alloys that bend/dent like wrapping paper.

Basically, I don't want to get anything too old, but I don't want to get anything too new because they are being made so poorly as of late.

Thoughts?
    @jllundqu

Whoo...good question...I suppose it would start with how much money you have to spend and how old you want to go, and then go from there.

There are couple of milestones on the road to more and more complexity and lighter bodies.

1971 and older (no federal fatwas at all, no emission controls)

1986 and older (no computerized engine controls, no fuel injection, no ABS or airbags)

1996 and older (no OBDII, no integrated ECM controls)

2007 and older (no fully integrated "whole vehicle ECMs", no "proximity chip" anti theft devices, no TPS)

2010 and older (no boosted and turbocharged small engines, no duel fuel systems, no DEF for diesels)

2013 and older (no 9 speed gearboxes, no "glass cockpit" consoles)

No, that's just a rough summary off the top of my head, I'm sure I missed plenty of items, and not each maker followed those timelines exactly, but that is a rough thumbnail.

So all that being said, I think pickups ought be rugged and simple.

Economy, speed and performance are secondary concerns.

So I'd be inclined to pick a simple design, F150, with a naturally aspirated V8 (or inline six if are going older than 1996), with as few computer controls and accessories as you are comfortable with.

If you go diesel, try to avoid anything newer than 2010-2012. Specifically avoid anything requiring DEF injection.

Second choice would be a Toyota Tundra meeting the same specs.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-21-2017 at 12:54 PM.

@jllundqu

Whoo...good question...I suppose it would start with how much money you have to spend and how old you want to go, and then go from there.

There are couple of milestones on the road to more and more complexity and lighter bodies.

1971 and older (no federal fatwas at all, no emission controls)

1986 and older (no computerized engine controls, no fuel injection, no ABS or airbags)

1996 and older (no OBDII, no integrated ECM controls)

2007 and older (no fully integrated "whole vehicle ECMs", no "proximity chip" anti theft devices, no TPS)

2010 and older (no boosted and turbocharged small engines, no duel fuel systems, no DEF for diesels)

2013 and older (no 9 speed gearboxes, no "glass cockpit" consoles)

No, that's just a rough summary off the top of my head, I'm sure I missed plenty of items, and not each maker followed those timelines exactly, but that is a rough thumbnail.

So all that being said, I think pickups ought be rugged and simple.

Economy, speed and performance are secondary concerns.

So I'd be inclined to pick a simple design, F150, with a naturally aspirated V8 (or inline six if are going older than 1996), with as few computer controls and accessories as you are comfortable with.

If you go diesel, try to avoid anything newer than 2010-2012. Specifically avoid anything requiring DEF injection.

Second choice would be a Toyota Tundra meeting the same specs.
    Much obliged, sir. Thank you for the wisdom.... I'm need to tow up to 10,000 so I need a V8 in the F250/350 or Chevy 2500+ category.... not sure what the Tundra equivalent would be. Not sure I need the mega power duelies, etc... but I do need 4x4. Basically I want to find the sweet spot where the truck is not made of tin, but not so old that it will require ton's of work and time.

I think (being a chevy guy) that a Silverado 2500 Z71 4x4 would be in line with what I need... just a question of year. I've never driven the Toyota tundra but I hear good things. My family would fatwa my ass to the curb if I came home with a ford lol. Not sure why, I don't have anything bad to say about fords, just always owned either a suburban or a silverado
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Mazda will not have a choice. As soon as the first report comes out proving that automated cars are vastly safer than human-controlled ones (and they will be), there will be a regulation requiring automation.

See also: Other 'optional/additional' safety measures which eventually became requirements, such as stability control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    If everyone is in self driving cars, what will the cops use for an excuse to pull people over?

What would the state do for revenue if that can't create moving violations and such?

Unintended consequences?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Much obliged, sir. Thank you for the wisdom.... I'm need to tow up to 10,000 so I need a V8 in the F250/350 or Chevy 2500+ category.... not sure what the Tundra equivalent would be. Not sure I need the mega power duelies, etc... but I do need 4x4. Basically I want to find the sweet spot where the truck is not made of tin, but not so old that it will require ton's of work and time.

I think (being a chevy guy) that a Silverado 2500 Z71 4x4 would be in line with what I need... just a question of year. I've never driven the Toyota tundra but I hear good things. My family would fatwa my ass to the curb if I came home with a ford lol. Not sure why, I don't have anything bad to say about fords, just always owned either a suburban or a silverado
    Hah hah, I understand, and you're welcome.

If you're looking to tow that much, in a 3/4 or 1 ton single rear tire configuration, I'd go with this:

2010 Silverado 2500 with DuraMax diesel.

Just double check the year, make sure it doesn't need DEF.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Mazda will not have a choice. As soon as the first report comes out proving that automated cars are vastly safer than human-controlled ones (and they will be), there will be a regulation requiring automation.

See also: Other 'optional/additional' safety measures which eventually became requirements, such as stability control.
    Yup, this.

Your future awaits.

Safe, sane, regulated, controlled, monitored and compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    If everyone is in self driving cars, what will the cops use for an excuse to pull people over?

What would the state do for revenue if that can't create moving violations and such?

Unintended consequences?
    You think that will stop them?

Even though in those Screwgle pods, there is no way in which you could control or "drive" it:

You will be expected to remain in a state of cat like readiness to, in this case mash the stop button, in the event of a failure of the system.

I hear all this nonsense about how great these abominations will be: we'll be able to do everything from watch a movie to getting a jump on the office work to being fellated.

Nonsense.

Officer Friendly will be right there to fine, taser and beat your ass for noncompliance, just like before.

Only difference now is you won't be able to run even if you wanted to.

Never mind speed restrictions or all the onboard big brother systems that will rat you out.

Cops will have remote shut downs.

Hah hah, I understand, and you're welcome.

If you're looking to tow that much, in a 3/4 or 1 ton single rear tire configuration, I'd go with this:

2010 Silverado 2500 with DuraMax diesel.

Just double check the year, make sure it doesn't need DEF.
    no mopar love eh?

dodge, 3/4 ton quad cab.. cast iron block.. class 4 receiver.. done
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

I've never driven the Toyota tundra but I hear good things.
    In my area the 'Toyota Tax' is pretty severe. They're nice but I'm not sure that they're nice -enough- to warrant the high used price. When I was shopping for them the gap between price them and the Sierra that I got was enormous.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    no mopar love eh?

dodge, 3/4 ton quad cab.. cast iron block.. class 4 receiver.. done
    That was based on jllundqu's specification of GM product.

But trucks, for me, Ford only.

This has got "me" written all over it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm very confused why the government would want self driving cars, the revenue from DUIs will dry up.
    “…I believe that at this point in history, the greatest danger to our freedom and way of life comes from the reasonable fear of omniscient State powers kept in check by nothing more than policy documents.”

Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post
    I'm very confused why the government would want self driving cars, the revenue from DUIs will dry up.
    Post #21

That was based on jllundqu's specification of GM product.

This has got "me" written all over it.

"Get off my lawn".
    Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense.
    -Ron Paul

Thoughts?
    Not AF, but this is something I'm pretty well versed in............

I'm for restored older trucks, Chevy's best suspension parts are; rearend 14 bolt corporate, front Dana 60 and a 203 transfer case...

Dodge used these parts too, still uses the differentials....Ford too for a while but they had "better ideas"...

For power I favor a smallblock with a steel crank shaft and 4-bolt mains coupled to a TH-400.

This set-up can be easily installed under just about any rig but if you can find something from the 40's through mid 60's that you like you'll free yourself from thin metal and plastic panels and as a bonus you'll qualify for antique plates and be exempt from seat-belt laws in all but the most oppressive states...

If this rig you're lookin' for is to be driven on the freeway quite a bit consider a Tremec TR-6060 6-speed transmission with an overdrive...

Another consideration is ignition.........If you're of a prepper mentality point type distributor or a magneto will always fire.... Either way avoid 'puter ignitions completely if they're not totally self contained like the MSD system...

[edit]

Even for the mechanically inept a rig of this caliber can be constructed for substantially less FRN's than a new one that's maybe 1/2 as capable....
    Last edited by tod evans; 04-22-2017 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Another consideration is ignition.........If you're of a prepper mentality point type distributor or a magneto will always fire.... Either way avoid 'puter ignitions completely if they're not totally self contained like the MSD system...
    I'm currently running one of these in my "retro refit" 300 cid six in my truck.

http://performancedistributors.com/

I've used them before in other applications and cannot recommend them more highly...simple, bulletproof and one wire hookup.

Oh, frick. I have something in common with chub chaser.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast