Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSD for psych help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

LSD for psych help

From Drudge;

'Microdosing' trend has Americans tuning in with psychedelics

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-...chedelics.html

After a litany of prescriptions failed to control her stormy mood swings and deep depression, writer Ayelet Waldman finally found relief in a blue vial of diluted LSD.
    Feeling she "had nothing to lose," the San Francisco Bay-area former federal public defender deposited two tiny drops of the psychedelic drug under her tongue—and soon felt her gloom subside.
    "I was starting to feel, frankly, suicidal," the 52-year-old told AFP. "If the other option is death—or at least, misery that feels like death—then there's no reason not to at least try something different."
    Waldman says she renewed her spirit by "microdosing," a modish—albeit illegal and potentially risky—trend that involves ingesting a nearly imperceptible portion of a psychedelic drug, often LSD or psilocybin mushrooms.
    The goal is not to hallucinate but to boost work performance and creativity—or, as was Waldman's case, treat a laundry list of ailments including mood disorders.
    "Within the first day I felt better," she said. "The depression was just gone—and that was astonishing."
    She credits her daily LSD regimen of some 10 micrograms of acid—about one-tenth of a full, far more kaleidoscopic hit—with improving her relationships and enhancing her work.
    "I would have access to 'that flow,'" she said, describing how subtle doses of LSD changed her writing habits. "Your mind moves swiftly but not erratically, with a kind of really delightful focus."
    Microdosing has gained traction outside drug-enthusiast circles in recent years, particularly among young professionals in California's Silicon Valley looking to dial up their careers.
    Its growing popularity has been ushered along by several influential US podcasts and most recently Waldman's latest book, "A Really Good Day: How Microdosing Made a Mega Difference in My Mood, My Marriage, and My Life," in which she details how psychedelics helped her get off the manic-depressive rollercoaster.
    'More in touch'
    LSD, or lysergic acid diethylamide, is a potent synthetic drug that gained notoriety in 1960s counterculture. In large doses it can induce hallucinations and drastically alter perception and cognitive functions for prolonged periods of time.
    Carl, whose name has been changed for fear of legal repercussions, works in media in Washington and told AFP he has microdosed with LSD at work some half dozen times in the past year.
    He said the tiny hits help him stay focused.
    "You've got more energy," the 29-year-old said. "The core of your consciousness is still there—you just might be a little bit more in touch."
    Oliver, whose name has also been changed, describes dropping microdoses as a "very mild euphoria—almost like anticipation of something good."
    The 25-year-old, who is also a media professional in the nation's capital, has taken recreational tabs of acid—which he said have run him about 10 dollars each—in addition to tiny doses.
    Rather than a full psychedelic experience, he said microdosing gives him "a slight sharpening of concentration, I think produced by the effect that LSD has of making everything feel textured and interesting."
    "I felt not on top of the world, but one percent more on top of the world than usual," he said. "Which kind of made me feel like I wanted to work."
    Oliver said he thinks of microdosing as "a cop-out way of doing psychedelics."
    "It's much less threatening," he said wryly. "And is less likely to like, cause temporary ego death, or make you spiral into soul-crushing confusion over the changing color of the sky."
    A legal gamble
    While microdosing has shown anecdotal medicinal and performance-enhancing promise, potential risks like long-term toxicity remain unclear, said Matthew Johnson, who studies drug abuse and addiction at Johns Hopkins University.
    Microdosing is "totally unstudied" for both funding and legal reasons, he told AFP: LSD was first criminalized in 1966 and in 1970 the US government grouped it, along with psilocybin, in the most legally restrictive category of substances alongside drugs like heroin and mescaline.
    That classification brought mid-century studies on using psychedelics as medicine to a standstill.
    Obvious hazards include ingesting street drugs cut with harmful substances or incorrectly controlling dosage, Johnson said.
    And because intended doses are so small, perceived positive impacts might actually be placebo effects.
    Still, he said microdosing warrants controlled study as "it's absolutely interesting and very plausible that there could be effects of cognitive enhancement and anti-depression."
    His own studies have yielded encouraging outcomes using psilocybin to help cancer patients manage anxiety and depression, or to help tobacco smokers quit.
    In general, he said, researchers focused on psychedelics say overregulation is hindering progress.
    The legal gamble ultimately dissuaded Waldman from continuing to microdose. She received her initial 30-day LSD supply from a friend of a friend—but procuring more proved nerve wracking.
    Drug penalties vary state by state, but are often similar to the federal ones: up to a year in jail and a $1000 fine for a first offense of LSD possession.
    As a former lawyer who has defended clients on drug charges, Waldman said she couldn't justify the risk.
    Until LSD is legalized—unlikely anytime soon—she said she probably won't microdose again.
    Unless, Waldman said, "I start to become suicidal again."
    "If it's a choice to die or commit a crime, I'll commit a crime."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It was originally developed and used in fighting addiction. and was quite effective in some hands.

a poor guide can yield poor results.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

It is no wonder that I was so mentally sound in my youth.

Damn hippies.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

"Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

"It's much less threatening," he said wryly. "And is less likely to like, cause temporary ego death, or make you spiral into soul-crushing confusion over the changing color of the sky."

Or, just spitballing here, spending a few hours with your brain in an underwater laboratory somewhere else while the noise at the end of the Dr Mario game over sequence is on loop in your ears, and you can't go to sleep because closing your eyes makes your whole existence shift into a bunch of geometric patterns.

There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) was a drug of much promise in the 1950's. We're not talking about sugar cubes and blotter paper but pharmaceutical grade, synthesized LSD. According to Wikipedia, Time magazine published 6 positive reports on LSD between 1954 and 1959.

It was being used as an aid to psychotherapy, an aid to treating alcoholism, and enhancing creativity.

Bill Wilson, one of the co-founders of Alcoholics Anonymous, experimented extensively with LSD from the late 1950's to early 1960's. LSD's application within the 12-step program of AA was in breaking down the barriers to having a "spiritual awakening" and finding faith in a God of one's own understanding. As many AA's will say, "if you don't get the God part, you probably won't stay sober", LSD was enormously effective.
    Last edited by Jamesiv1; 04-22-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) was a drug of much promise in the 1950's. We're not talking about sugar cubes and blotter paper but pharmaceutical grade, synthesized LSD. According to Wikipedia, Time magazine published 6 positive reports on LSD between 1954 and 1959.

It was being used as an aid to psychotherapy, an aid to treating alcoholism, and enhancing creativity.
    I thought that LSD was developed by the CIA both as a weapon against “public enemies” to make them suffer a psychotic episode so nobody will take them seriously and to make the population nice and docile.

That’s what I concluded after reading John Marks “The Search for the Manchurian Candidate: The CIA and Mind Control” (1979): http://www.wanttoknow.info/mk/search...-candidate.pdf

Psychiatry - the art of torturing victims into submission...
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    I thought that LSD was developed by the CIA both as a weapon against “public enemies” to make them suffer a psychotic episode so nobody will take them seriously and to make the population nice and docile.

That’s what I concluded after reading John Marks “The Search for the Manchurian Candidate: The CIA and Mind Control” (1979): http://www.wanttoknow.info/mk/search...-candidate.pdf

Psychiatry - the art of torturing victims into submission...
    CIA did research with LSD,, but it failed to produce the desired results.

SSRIs are more successful. and other (designer)drugs produced for other uses were developed.

LSD frees minds..
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I've never been a fan. At least not of the synthesized kind. I found the experience superficial and the side-effects to be displeasurable.

But mushrooms...

Completely different story and completely different response from me!! I've heard people using mushrooms for the same purposes and I can totally get it. Those are some of nature's little miracles!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I've never been a fan. At least not of the synthesized kind. I found the experience superficial and the side-effects to be displeasurable.

But mushrooms...

Completely different story and completely different response from me!! I've heard people using mushrooms for the same purposes and I can totally get it. Those are some of nature's little miracles!
    Mescaline is my psychedelic of choice.

Been a long time now, but I recall a very pleasurable high with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Mescaline ..... it's the only way to fly.

Haven't used LSD since 1970 but I'd give micro dosing it a try if I could find a good supply with little risk of being killed by the goons...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Haven't used LSD since 1970 but I'd give micro dosing it a try if I could find a good supply with little risk of being killed by the goons...
    80's for me.. but eyup.. but with someone.. did not appreciate not having a friend along with a similar mindset
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Morning glories can get you there organically.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Morning glory seeds have LSA, not LSD, it's a little different.

Also, when you buy morning glory seeds at the store, they coat them with poison to give you an upset stomach if you try to eat them.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds have more LSA.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    How available are they? Morning glory's are easy to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    that brings back memories.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

My fav of all the drugs back in the day were the black beauties. Does anyone remember those?

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    My fav of all the drugs back in the day were the black beauties. Does anyone remember those?
    Yep! I always liked ups too...

Psychedelics were for spiritual endeavors not partying....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Yep!
    Absolutely.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Crank was "clean" back before the precursor chemicals were banned in the 80's and you ended up with this bathtub poison on the streets now.

So why not have both?

(Or so I figured at the time)

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Been a long time now, but I recall a very pleasurable high with it.
    *sigh* late 70s' happiness right there

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Not my faves.. caused things like scrubbing kitchen floors at 3am

now.. ludes....
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    *sigh* late 70s' happiness right there

Not my faves.. caused things like scrubbing kitchen floors at 3am

now.. ludes....
    ask Alice,,

one pill makes you larger one pill makes you small,,

I'll just sit here with this caterpillar.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

From Drudge;

Could psychedelics become an accepted treatment for mental health problems?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/hea...alth-problems/

A few years ago, if you were to tell most people suffering from a serious mental health problem that their ills could be cured with a spot of Class A drugs, they might think you’ve, well, taken something.

Aided by a slew of recent scientific studies, however, the perception of many of many illegal substances – from LSD to ecstasy – as having no medicinal benefit is beginning to change. Earlier this month, for instance, US researchers found that ketamine might reduce rates of depression.

In April, scientists at the University of Sussex and Imperial College, London, discovered what is believed to be the first concrete evidence for psychedelic drugs inducing a heightened state. And at the beginning of the year, articles promoting the idea of 'microdosing' drugs such as LSD and magic mushrooms appeared all over the internet.

I get a lot of people coming up to me now and say, ‘Gosh, Amanda, I used to think you were mad! Now I can see you were right all along...
    Amanda Feilding, Countess of Wemyss and March
    If the movement is surprising to some, for Amanda Feilding, Countess of Wemyss and March, it's all a case of I-told-you-so.

“I think we’re turning a corner, or have done in the last three or four years. I’ve always thought that the very best science can shine a telescope on how these things have their effect and work wonders. It’s still a very new area, but people are finally paying it the attention it deserves,” she says.

For the past half a century, she has given her life over to the research and ultimately promotion of psychedelic substances as beneficial therapeutic aids.

There’ve been ups and downs, but recent times have brought long overdue success. Last summer, Feiding, together with scientists at Imperial College, organised a clinical trial in which a dozen volunteers with previously incurable depression were induced into psychedelic trips using psilocybin, a hallucinogenic compound found in magic mushrooms. Impressively, results showed that 67% of participants were free of depression one week after treatment, and 42% remained so at the three-month mark.

countess amanda feilding
    "People used to say I was mad" CREDIT: JOHN LAWRENCE/TELEGRAPH
    We meet at the headquarters of the Beckley Foundation, a research charity she set up 18 years ago to help fund and legitimise her work. Its offices exist in a converted cowshed within the grounds of Beckley Park, a vast Tudor Hunting Lodge on the verge of a fen in Oxfordshire.

Feilding, 73, whose family descend from the House of Habsburg, grew up in the property and still lives there with her husband, Jamie Charteris, 13th Earl of Wemyss and 9th Earl of March (from whom she took her title when the couple married in 1995).

Beckley Park is encased on three sides by moats, its mile-long driveway piercing a thickness of meadows and woodland. Cut off from the outside world, it’s here where, as the youngest of four siblings at home in the 1950s, Feilding first experienced the transformative power of the human brain.

“I was very isolated in these grounds,” she says, gesturing to the view from a large, ornate window. “We had no heating, so I would spend my time mooching around the garden feeling quite lonely, and one thought a lot about oneself a lot. Every child has mystical experiences with nature, but perhaps I had more. It was a state I loved: losing my identity.”

feilgins
    Feilding at home during the 1960s
    Introduced to eastern religions by her godfather, Bertie Moore, who became a celebrated Buddhist monk, Feilding left school at 16 with little or no qualifications, choosing instead to travel.

For three years she explored the Middle East and India – including three weeks spent alone with a nomadic Yemeni tribe – and returned intermittently to receive private tutoring in Islam and comparative religions from Oxford professors. During this time, studying in Oxford in 1960, Feilding was introduced to drugs.

“There was a group of older undergraduates who had been in the Korean War, and in their university lodgings they gave me a smoke of cannabis,” she says. “I remember it vividly – Ray Charles was playing, and I heard the music so deeply that I felt moved.”

Feilding became an on-off cannabis user, yet only became interested in the power of psychedelics when friends introduced her to LSD in 1965. A year later she met Bart Huges, a Dutch scientist who taught her about the science behind her experiences, triggering what would become a lifelong fascination.

“Before I met Bart I’d been thinking about the art and beauty of drugs, but once he’d explained the mysteries of altered consciousness I was captivated. Finding out more was all I wanted to do.”

john lawrence
    Amanda Feilding, Countess of Wemyss and March CREDIT: JOHN LAWRENCE/TELEGRAPH
    Despite her wishes to formally research psychedelics, Feilding’s research was almost immediately stunted by a worldwide crackdown on drugs, led by the USA in the early 1970s, which rendered it near-impossible for even scientists to access mind-altering substances.

Undeterred, she pressed on with her own, often controversial, writings and analyses of drugs and consciousness over the next 25 years. One, in 1970, gained particular notoriety.

With her then partner, Joe Mellen (with whom she went on to have two sons, Rock and Cosmo), Feilding explored the power of trepanation, an ancient practice involving the drilling of a burr hole through the skull in order to improve cerebral circulation, doing so herself for a bizarre, bloody short film.

The story has followed her around since, giving rise to dismissals from academics that she is merely an eccentric aristocrat. Feilding admits the film looked “ghoulish”, but still believes further research into trepanation has the potential to reveal its benefits for Alzheimer’s and dementia sufferers.

war on drugs
    The war on drugs is a waste of time, Feilding believes CREDIT: ALAMY
    After years of independent research, the advent of MRI scans in the late 1990s gave Feilding a chance to substantiate her theories about psychedelics with medical evidence.

Through The Beckley Foundation, which works in partnership with various senior figures in science and is supported by four or five staff, Feilding has spent the last two decades working tirelessly to change the perception of drugs around the world, from advising international governments to commissioning ground-breaking studies.

The ‘war on drugs’ is a completely false battle. Sensible drugs policies should help people, not punish them
    Amanda Feilding, Countess of Wemyss and March
    Feilding’s breakthrough study last year gives credence to the idea that, when administered in a safe, controlled environment, drugs previously thought a menace to society could be used for emphatic good.

In fact, she believes things like LSD, magic mushrooms and MDMA may have the power to cause “awakenings” in the brain that could make, mental illnesses including depression, anxiety, PTSD, OCD and even degenerative brain diseases all potentially treatable. Yet while the medical community are now largely on side, and ‘microdosing’ is becoming more widely known, lawmakers remain steadfast.

“The ‘war on drugs’ is a completely false battle. Sensible drugs policies should help people, not punish them, meaning we should move towards a system of regulation and education rather than outlawing everything,” says Feilding, who is not in favour of total decriminalisation but believes many substances need to be downgraded to allow for medical experimentation.

“At the moment a psilocybin dose costs £1500 because providers have to clear so many hoops to deliver it. That needs to change.”

Feilding has few hopes for the May government’s hardline stance, but will continue to work 15-hour days from Beckley Park for as long as it takes. She has recently launched a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for the world's first study on LSD 'microdosing' –taking minute doses of LSD to enhance cognition, increase creativity and alleviate depression. After half a century of often fruitless research, people are finally beginning to accept her theories.

“I get a lot of people coming up to me now and say, ‘Gosh, Amanda, I used to think you were mad! Now I can see you were right all along…’

“That can be frustrating, but I think if society had a more open and realistic attitude to drugs, we’d all be happier,” Feilding says, cheerfully. “As I say, we’re at a turning point now and have a chance to make real progress, but there’s lots more work to be done.”

I strongly question the wisdom of making oneself into a chemistry experiment.

Of course, the majority of the people one encounters out and about are walking chemistry experiments of one sort or another. Anti-depressants, stimulants, Ritalin,.... on and on nowadays. Not a good idea! The body and mind are all connected and extremely complex. We do not know the full effects of any of these adventuresome chemistry experiments people choose to perform inside their own bodies.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1030510...body-and-brain

"Prescription meds change your body too, often in substantial ways. When your body changes, your mind follows. The prescription meds says that very thing right on the warning label. Many of them even warn against suicidal thoughts.

"So if you think prescription meds don’t CAUSE thoughts, you are not current with modern science. A person on prescription meds is essentially a chemical cyborg – part human, part science experiment."

-- http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1485992...ial-candidates

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I strongly question the wisdom of making oneself into a chemistry experiment.
    I started 'doing drugs' in the early 70's..........Missed today's new and improved medications but I can say with no reserve that psychedelics would be a better choice for most psych problems than 'modern medicine'.....

Not enough can be said for a good diet, a calm environment and natures medications.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast