Thread: How carbs turn into fat-the science of why excess carbs make you fat

How carbs turn into fat-the science of why excess carbs make you fat

Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Les bump for confused carboholics
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Chester Copperpot

its not a bad video but im sort of in agreement with anaconda here... theres more left out such as the type of carb... people say carb and they put up picture of french fries and hamburgers.. meanwhile raw fruit is never going to cause these problems... so its more than just 'carbs' IMO

Eat everything and work harder....

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    its not a bad video but im sort of in agreement with anaconda here... theres more left out such as the type of carb... people say carb and they put up picture of french fries and hamburgers.. meanwhile raw fruit is never going to cause these problems... so its more than just 'carbs' IMO
    Fruit really isn't great for you. Not sure where that myth came from.. it's like mostly sugar and carbs..

Just ask Steve Jobs...
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Fruit really isn't great for you. Not sure where that myth came from.. it's like mostly sugar and carbs..

Just ask Steve Jobs...
    fresh fruits and veggies are never going to hurt you. THat doesnt mean I believe in becoming a fruitarian by any means. But if it works for people let them at it.

How carbs turn into fat-the gubamint's solution...

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't really worry too much about carbs to the point that is becomes stupidly obsessive. I don't eat em after 8pm, though. That's about the only carb rule I have. I like mostly oatmeal, potatoes, and pancakes for carbs (no syrup, I use fruit toppings instead) during the day but not after 8 pm. So typically natural carbs as opposed to processed carbs.

I'm more anal about protein. lol. I take in anywhere from 190 to 210 grams of protein daily. But I'm working out every other day, so most of that is at night before bed for muscle recovery. Mainly meal replacement bars and protein powder and whatnot. I'm liking sushi lately, too.

But that's a great video of how our bodies use and transform carbs. I think it's about right.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-18-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Fruit in excess can still make you fat. I've seen some REALLY skinny fruitarians, but I am guessing they may have been malnourished... but I've also seen people gain weight eating too much fruit. It's not easy because fruit tends to have a lot of fiber which fills you up, but it's still possible imo.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I don't really worry too much about carbs. I don't eat em after 8pm, though. That's about it. I like mostly oatmeal, potatoes, and pancakes for carbs. So typically natural carbs as opposed to processed carbs.

I'm more anal about protein. lol. I take in anywhere from 190 to 210 grams of protein daily.
    I think there was another thread that said the best time of day to eat carbs is AFTER 8pm.. lol.. cuz basically when the crash hits you will be asleep. Morning is the worst time to eat carbs.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Bro, pay attention-the key word is EXCESS. I substitute sweet potatoes for the standard doughy stuff (and include greek yogurt) when I make pancakes, for example. It's a carb, but a healthy, high-fiber carb. Also watch the vid, plz.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 04-18-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    How carbs turn into fat-the gubamint's solution...

Gov'ment/big agra, you mean. That pyramid was made up in large part to benefit agrabiz and has little to do with actual biology and dietary science.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Fruit in excess can still make you fat. I've seen some REALLY skinny fruitarians, but I am guessing they may have been malnourished... but I've also seen people gain weight eating too much fruit. It's not easy because fruit tends to have a lot of fiber which fills you up, but it's still possible imo.
    This^^ The sweetness in the sweet fruits is from fructose. It's nature's candy. Fruit has nutritional value and fiber, but it's a supplement, not a meal.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 04-18-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I think there was another thread that said the best time of day to eat carbs is AFTER 8pm.. lol.. cuz basically when the crash hits you will be asleep. Morning is the worst time to eat carbs.
    Well. He he. I respectfully disagree, dannno. It's okay. People who are picky about their intake are typically going to be picky in relation their personal lifestyles. Speaking only for myself, my diet is based solely on aiding in my workouts. Which, as I said, is every other day. And I work out to the point of muscle fatigue. But that's just me and me only. Some people work in an office all day so lifestyles are different. Some people dig post holes all day. Some people jog a mile. Just depends on what you're doing and one's diet should reflect their personal routine.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-18-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Where is that thread/article that said that the best time of day to eat carbs was after 8pm anyway? I'd like to read it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Where is that thread/article that said that the best time of day to eat carbs was after 8pm anyway? I'd like to read it.
    Optimally you want your body to use fat as energy, plenty of strength trainers do well with that, the only people who have issues I think are possibly body builders.

I was going to the gym 2+ hours a day for 4 days a week about 6 months ago, but I ended up with some minor gym injuries and also got knee injuries after being slammed into some reef surfing and took 6 months off.

Now I'm back at around 1+ hour per day for 3 days a week, usually all in a row.. Day 1 is squats, chest, biceps and forearms. Day 2 is shoulders, tris and a couple core exercises. Day 3 is squats, deadlifts and back.
    Last edited by dannno; 04-18-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Well. He he. I respectfully disagree, dannno. It's okay. People who are picky about their intake are typically going to be picky in relation their personal lifestyles. Speaking only for myself, my diet is based solely on aiding in my workouts. Which, as I said, is every other day.
    :thumbsup: And as long as it does what you want it to, you're gold. Successful experience trumps theory, as they say. I hope you get something out of my posts, but at the end of the day, you have to do what works for NC.

FWIW, I recently got an AWESOME cookbook that helps me supplement my diet with whole, nutritious, good-tasting, high-protein foods for cheap. http://www.anaboliccooking.com/welcome/

It's aimed at bodybuilders, but like a number of such books, anyone can use it. I think you would like it, and it's only $9. ~hugs~

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Gov'ment/big agra, you mean. That pyramid was made up in large part to benefit agrabiz and has little to do with actual biology and dietary science.
    yep... compare that outdated chart with a more science based pyramid...

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Eat everything and work harder....
    Don't eat everything. The factory farmed meat, fish, and fowl is generally full of detrimental imbalances of Omega 6 to Omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. And seed and grain oils are too. the SAD diet has way too much Omega 6 compared to Omega 3. People are consuming a very bad ratio. There are workarounds. For example, factory farmed chicken breast has very little Omega 6 and very little Omega 3. So you could possibly eat the chicken breast and supplement with, say, Krill oil capsules from Costco.
    Last edited by anaconda; 04-18-2017 at 02:26 PM.

I don't really worry too much about carbs to the point that is becomes stupidly obsessive. I don't eat em after 8pm, though. That's about the only carb rule I have. I like mostly oatmeal, potatoes, and pancakes for carbs (no syrup, I use fruit toppings instead) during the day but not after 8 pm. So typically natural carbs as opposed to processed carbs.
    Completely agree with this.
    I was 155ish most of my adult life (5'9"). Quit smoking ten years ago and went up to 190. I have a bony frame and work out, so I carried it well, but it was still excessive. I lost 30 lbs last year by:
    1) Eating oatmeal every morning for breakfast (plain)
    2) Eating light carbs for lunch
    3) Eliminating juice from my diet
    4) Not eating after 7pm.

I have a lot more energy now. The only downside was having to buy clothes.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Don't eat everything. The factory farmed meat, fish, and fowl is generally full of detrimental imbalances of Omega 6 to Omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids.
    I think many people have no idea what's in their food, and what exactly took place before it arrived on their plate.

"When you eat too many calories, especially in the form of sugars and quickly burned starches, your body may reach its storage capacity for glycogen. The liver converts the stored sugars into triglycerides, or fats, so that the excess energy can be transported to the fat cells for longer-term storage. Your fat cells release this energy when needed. If you eat more calories than you burn, your body will continue to store the fat." http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/happ...ates-2461.html

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Bro, pay attention-the key word is EXCESS. I substitute sweet potatoes for the standard doughy stuff (and include greek yogurt) when I make pancakes, for example. It's a carb, but a healthy, high-fiber carb. Also watch the vid, plz.
    um, i did watch the video.. thats why i commented what i did/

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was at the physicians office the other day and listening to their television in the waiting room.

They were talking about trans-fats and that got me chuckling.

It was then that I realized what a trans-fat was.

It's a carb or fruit that thinks it's a fat.

I told the physician about that and warned him how he should watch out as it wouldn't be long and those trans-fats would be wanting to use the fat restroom.

He thought that was pretty funny.

update: Tom D just toady did a live QnA related to the OP video and elaborated on/added to the content. For those interested...