Thread: The Bugatti Chiron

Exclamation The Bugatti Chiron

Just, wow...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Chiron

1500 HP - 1180 lb/ft of torque.

0-60 under 2.5 seconds
    0-120 under 6.5 seconds
    0-190 under 13.5 seconds.

Top speed? Officially 261 Estimated 288 mph.

It may do 300 if given the space.

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is this the F-35 replacement?

Was talking cars the other day...given unlimited funds what would you buy?

My New Car pick was the Bugatti.

My Classic Car pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

My Classic Car pick?

Unlimited funds? Definitely an AC Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Is this the F-35 replacement?
    Just fripping stunning numbers they are getting out of this.

LOL you can rent the Veyron for $30,000 a day.

https://luxurycarrentalusa.com/bugatti-chiron-here/

Here's a '66 Shelby for $1.7mil:

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/.../cobra/1532823

Just fripping stunning numbers they are getting out of this.

LOL you can rent the Veyron for $30,000 a day.

https://luxurycarrentalusa.com/bugatti-chiron-here/
    Is that all?

50 + years apart but both did the same thing.

Pushed off the lot "production" car performance numbers into the stratosphere.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just a jaw dropping gorgeous car.

Everybody knows I like simple and easy to work on...but it's nice to admire the cutting edge for what it is or was at the time.

James May and Bugatti setting the speed record for the old Bugatti at 267 mph.

Everybody knows I like simple and easy to work on...but it's nice to admire the cutting edge for what it is or was at the time.
    Absolutely. If I ever win the $500mil lottery we'll go hunt us down a pair and see if we can find a track for rent. Let's just not end it like this....

...then again "Any crash you can walk away from......"
    Last edited by phill4paul; 04-09-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Absolutely. If I ever win the $500mil lottery we'll go hunt us down a pair and see if we can find a track for rent. Let's just not end it like this....

You are on.

There's one other thing on my bucket list.

I'd like a couple of hours of stick time in one of these:

I've done the boats:

Each one, the Bugatti, the P51 and non turbine powered offshore boats...each represents the pinnacle of internal combustion, reciprocating engine, technology and the max speeds achieved.

There's one other thing on my bucket list.

I'd like a couple of hours of stick time in one of these:

I've done the boats:

Each one, the Bugatti, the P51 and non turbine powered offshore boats...each represents the pinnacle of internal combustion, reciprocating engine, technology and the max speeds achieved.
    I'm not too much into the boats. But the P-51? Yeah. Oh, yeah. That and the F4U. Which was a beast.

Eh, what the hell, since I'm wishin' we'll get one each of those two. Only another $300k for the Mustang and $2mil for the Corsair.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 04-09-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Notice I didn't include motorcycles, because the manufacturers are self regulating themselves to appx. 186 MPH for fear of government regulation/bans.

The last cutting edge bikes were the Kawasaki Ninja and the Suzuki Hayabusa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_ZX-12R

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Hayabusa

Things have kind of stagnated on the top speed front since 2000, at least for street legal production bikes.

My Classic Car pick?

Count me in on the side oiler....

New-n-shiny is kinda like a 27y/o model, nice to look at and fun to take for a spin but when it comes to the upkeep........Outta my league...

[edit]

If money were no object then it's the Koenigsegg for me...

Last edited by tod evans; 04-09-2017 at 02:26 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    If money were no object then it's the Koenigsegg for me...

Nothing to sneeze at either, an incredible machine

There are some flat out exquisite cars being built...just out of all our leagues.

It is still easy to work on. and still has performance that will exceed any level of sanity.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Nothing to sneeze at either, an incredible machine

There are some flat out exquisite cars being built...just out of all our leagues.
    Fly by wire,, and remote control.

Unlimited funds would have me building my masterpiece..
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I lost several classmates in HS due to hotroddin'...

Just, wow...
    Really? They do not appeal to me at all. I am especially disdainful of these highly-refined super cars. They are no fun at all, to my way of seeing things. In that class, make mine McLaren or even Pagani, though even those are a bit too refined for my tastes. I see no point in handing most of the driving over to computers.

The most fun I ever had in a car was an afternoon at Sears Point, driving a 700hp Lancia Stratos. Primitive car, punched out to 3l, twin turbos, 1900 pounds and a crash-box transmission. Very violent acceleration, just the way I like it, and the most precise handling you could ever want. Absolutely neutral, but on an 85" wheelbase, you had best know what you are doing because the car will give you exactly what you ask for. THAT is a driving experience worthy of the mention.

I admit I've never driven one of these super-refined cars, but I know my tastes. The most luxurious such car I ever drove was a 365 Boxer, which I promptly wrecked, albeit only in minor fashion. It was my friend Dave's and he was drunker than I was, so I got to drive home.

I like 'em raw, primitive, short of wheelbase, VERY manual, grotesquely over-powered, and generally dangerous to drive. Otherwise, just get a Caddy or Rolls and cream-puff your way through life.

My friend Mike has a 427 Cobra, just under 600hp. THAT is a ride.

I would sell my mother into a bordello for a Stratos, 917 short tail coupe, or a GT40. I also always like the Cheetah, even if it was Chevy-powered.

0-60 under 2.5 seconds
    Porsche 917K Can Am car: 1500hp, 0-80 in 1.2 sec.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Cobras are notorious for biting. Put that much power into a 90" wheelbase and you have to be endlessly careful, particularly when the rear end is so light.

The crash is painful to behold. I hope that was a replica.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The crash is painful to behold. I hope that was a replica.
    I looked closely at the wreckage...fiberglass.

The GT40 would be my second choice of a classic supercar.

And I understand fully, I myself am disdainful of overcomputerized hi tech cars.

That said, to be able to hit 300 mph in a stable car with AC and a stereo...well that has to be worth something.

Or to put my middle aged corpus in a machine that will allow me to corner and handle better than an F1 driver...

Fun ride in the Stratos

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Really? They do not appeal to me at all. I am especially disdainful of these highly-refined super cars. They are no fun at all, to my way of seeing things. In that class, make mine McLaren or even Pagani, though even those are a bit too refined for my tastes. I see no point in handing most of the driving over to computers.

The most fun I ever had in a car was an afternoon at Sears Point, driving a 700hp Lancia Stratos. Primitive car, punched out to 3l, twin turbos, 1900 pounds and a crash-box transmission. Very violent acceleration, just the way I like it, and the most precise handling you could ever want. Absolutely neutral, but on an 85" wheelbase, you had best know what you are doing because the car will give you exactly what you ask for. THAT is a driving experience worthy of the mention.

I admit I've never driven one of these super-refined cars, but I know my tastes. The most luxurious such car I ever drove was a 365 Boxer, which I promptly wrecked, albeit only in minor fashion. It was my friend Dave's and he was drunker than I was, so I got to drive home.

I like 'em raw, primitive, short of wheelbase, VERY manual, grotesquely over-powered, and generally dangerous to drive. Otherwise, just get a Caddy or Rolls and cream-puff your way through life.

My friend Mike has a 427 Cobra, just under 600hp. THAT is a ride.

I would sell my mother into a bordello for a Stratos, 917 short tail coupe, or a GT40. I also always like the Cheetah, even if it was Chevy-powered.

Porsche 917K Can Am car: 1500hp, 0-80 in 1.2 sec.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like 'em raw, primitive, short of wheelbase, VERY manual, grotesquely over-powered, and generally dangerous to drive.
    That's some of the reasons why I like the go fast boats.

One of few areas that are not over-teched...it's still a pilot's and throttleman's vessel.

The GT40 would be my second choice of a classic supercar.
    With the 255 inch engine. Not nearly as powerful as the 427s, but what a work of art.

That said, to be able to hit 300 mph in a stable car with AC and a stereo...well that has to be worth something.
    Oh, I would certainly drive one, if for no other reason than to experience it, but there are other far simpler cars for which I would pay to own. The visceral appeal of seat-of-the-pants piloting is very strong for me. Hell, I objected wildly to both power steering and brakes when first I encountered them. I couldn't feel the road at all... it was like screwing with a 1/4" thick condom. At some point one can only ask what the point actually is.

Another ride I would love to try one day is a Lotus Super 7. Not particularly fast, but you are very much one with the road. Oh, and a heavily built TVR.

I came within a split hair of buying a real Stratos in 2000. $64K in Ohio. I should have bitten, shame on me. But perhaps one day I may build a Lister Stratos - beautifully made. I'd hunt down an engine and tranny out of a wasted Miura SV. 12 cylinders and 400+hp would be just dandy in my old age. That or a mill out of a Ferrari 338. Less fun, but easier to find, and likely a lot cheaper.

Fun ride in the Stratos

That is the "stradale" body. I've driven one of those, too. Not bad, but 190hp is a bit tame, even in a 1900# vehicle. The other one was Group IV trim, but modified way beyond the 400hp of the Gp IV cars. The owner said it was just shy of 700hp, and my experience lead me to believe it. Very cagey beast to drive, but about as much fun as a guy can have short of a set of twins or flying a small aircraft between the WTC towers, which I did in August '87.

Seriously, that car was the wildest ride of my life that didn't involve women. I was 19, had no sense of which to speak, and really liked going fast. I was very comfortable with it, much to the chagrin of my mother. The owner asked if I would be interested in a career. Sadly, I was so pathologically shy in those days, I did not make my desire clear and the opportunity vanished, much to my regret in later years. But he informed me that I'd nearly cracked 170 mph. I'd have gone faster, but was afraid of breaking the car... hey, I was 19 and not terribly experienced with such limits. I'm really not that experienced now, for that matter, but still like going very fast.

I looked closely at the wreckage...fiberglass.
    My impulse is to say "thank God", but it's still a terrible loss.

Unlimited money, duesenberg. Computerized super car? 959. Otherwise those new mclarens look pretty nice. Bikes are better anyways, I've ridden a turbo hayabusa, nothing compares... well my 2003 Arctic cat firecat 700 was pretty great even if slower, when the clutching is right, CVT rips and it rips now on the sweetest sounding Suzuki fuel injected twin pipe 2 smoker.

I'm into 4wd trucks lately, but my current rides are a Kawasaki KLR 650 fully pimped, bore, suspension, brakes. BMW K75s, found her and had to have her for the price, smoothest motor ever. Triumph speed triple, needs no explanation, yes I still have my license.

Jaguar XJR eats up most the cages I run into, more comfortable too.
    Last edited by afwjam; 04-10-2017 at 04:52 AM.

Meh. Give me an old pickup truck fish tailin' down an Appalachian gravel/dirt road. I'd go to jail or die tryin' in any of those cars.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Meh. Give me an old pickup truck fish tailin' down an Appalachian gravel/dirt road. I'd go to jail or die tryin' in any of those cars.
    And there ain't a damn thing wrong with that either...

I am a dedicated old pickup truck driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast