Thread: Employees getting implanted with microchips...

Employees getting implanted with microchips...

No. Thank you, but no. I can see within two generations this becoming the norm. Everywhere.

STOCKHOLM (AP) -- The syringe slides in between the thumb and index finger. Then, with a click, a microchip is injected in the employee's hand. Another "cyborg" is created.

What could pass for a dystopian vision of the workplace is almost routine at the Swedish startup hub Epicenter. The company offers to implant its workers and startup members with microchips the size of grains of rice that function as swipe cards: to open doors, operate printers, or buy smoothies with a wave of the hand.

The injections have become so popular that workers at Epicenter hold parties for those willing to get implanted.

"The biggest benefit I think is convenience," said Patrick Mesterton, co-founder and CEO of Epicenter. As a demonstration, he unlocks a door by merely waving near it. "It basically replaces a lot of things you have, other communication devices, whether it be credit cards or keys."

The technology in itself is not new. Such chips are used as virtual collar plates for pets. ( Congratulations, good boy, goooood boy. p4p) Companies use them to track deliveries. It's just never been used to tag employees on a broad scale before. Epicenter and a handful of other companies are the first to make chip implants broadly available.

And as with most new technologies, it raises security and privacy issues. While biologically safe, the data generated by the chips can show how often an employee comes to work or what they buy. Unlike company swipe cards or smartphones, which can generate the same data, a person cannot easily separate themselves from the chip.

"Of course, putting things into your body is quite a big step to do and it was even for me at first," said Mesterton, remembering how he initially had had doubts.

"But then on the other hand, I mean, people have been implanting things into their body, like pacemakers and stuff to control your heart," he said. "That's a way, way more serious thing than having a small chip that can actually communicate with devices."

Epicenter, which is home to more than 100 companies and some 2,000 workers, began implanting workers in January 2015. Now, about 150 workers have them. A company based in Belgium also offers its employees such implants, and there are isolated cases around the world where tech enthusiasts have tried this out in recent years.

The small implants use Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, the same as in contactless credit cards or mobile payments. When activated by a reader a few centimeters (inches) away, a small amount of data flows between the two devices via electromagnetic waves. The implants are "passive," meaning they contain information that other devices can read, but cannot read information themselves.

Ben Libberton, a microbiologist at Stockholm's Karolinska Institute, says hackers could conceivably gain huge swathes of information from embedded microchips. The ethical dilemmas will become bigger the more sophisticated the microchips become.

"The data that you could possibly get from a chip that is embedded in your body is a lot different from the data that you can get from a smartphone," he says. "Conceptually you could get data about your health, you could get data about your whereabouts, how often you're working, how long you're working, if you're taking toilet breaks and things like that."

Libberton said that if such data is collected, the big question remains of what happens to it, who uses it, and for what purpose. (Best just not to allow others to collect this data. IMHO. p4p)

So far, Epicenter's group of cyborgs doesn't seem too concerned.

"People ask me; 'Are you chipped?' and I say; 'Yes, why not,'" said Fredric Kaijser, 47, the chief experience officer at Epicenter. "And they all get excited about privacy issues and what that means and so forth. And for me it's just a matter of I like to try new things and just see it as more of an enabler and what that would bring into the future."

The implants have become so popular that Epicenter workers stage monthly events where attendees have the option of being "chipped" for free.

That means visits from self-described "body hacker" Jowan Osterlund from Biohax Sweden who performs the "operation."

He injects the implants — using pre-loaded syringes — into the fleshy area of the hand, just next to the thumb. The process lasts a few seconds, and more often than not there are no screams and barely a drop of blood. "The next step for electronics is to move into the body," he says.

Sandra Haglof, 25, who works for Eventomatic, an events company that works with Epicenter, has had three piercings before, and her left hand barely shakes as Osterlund injects the small chip.

"I want to be part of the future," she laughs.
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...125759240.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Conceptually you could get data about your health, you could get data about your whereabouts, how often you're working, how long you're working, if you're taking toilet breaks and things like that."
    I already know all that stuff about myself and I'm a flake. I don't need a microchip to tell me I'm a lazy ass who took my last poop yesterday morning and I certainly don't want anyone else to have access to that information.

The implants have become so popular that Epicenter workers stage monthly events where attendees have the option of being "chipped" for free.
    Sounds like a cult. o_O
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I already know all that stuff about myself and I'm a flake. I don't need a microchip to tell me I'm a lazy ass who took my last poop yesterday morning and I certainly don't want anyone else to have access to that information.
    It's not about you. It's all about the people that want to know about you.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    It's not about you. It's all about the people that want to know about you.
    I get that but they're selling as a convenient way to keep track of yourself. I have to wonder if people stop and think, do I really need a microchip to track my $#@!s?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

The cancer rate is definitely going to jump. SMH

CHIPPED PETS DEVELOP FAST-GROWING, LETHAL TUMORS
    http://www.antichips.com/press-relea...pped-pets.html

Chip Implants Linked to Animal Tumors
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...800997_pf.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    The cancer rate is definitely going to jump. SMH

CHIPPED PETS DEVELOP FAST-GROWING, LETHAL TUMORS
    http://www.antichips.com/press-relea...pped-pets.html

Chip Implants Linked to Animal Tumors
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...800997_pf.html
    That is an interesting aspect regarding these implants. It would seem that studies should be done on these individuals that are at the forefront.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    That is an interesting aspect regarding these implants. It would seem that studies should be done on these individuals that are at the forefront.
    Yes, indeed. Katherine Albrecht has been exposing these microchips for years.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

STOCKHOLM (AP) -- The syringe slides in between the thumb and index finger. Then, with a click, a microchip is injected in the employee's hand. Another "cyborg" is created.

What could pass for a dystopian vision of the workplace is almost routine at the Swedish startup hub Epicenter. The company offers to implant its workers and startup members with microchips the size of grains of rice that function as swipe cards: to open doors, operate printers, or buy smoothies with a wave of the hand.

[...]
    I'm not a Christian, but hmmmmmm ...

"And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name." -- Revelations 13:16-17
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All congressman, senators and presidents should be required to have these chips implanted before being elected. Let's see how they like it.
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I'm not a Christian, but hmmmmmm ...

"And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name." -- Revelations 13:16-17
    "The Patriarch"

My mom went through something like this, this year. At the beginning of the year the school informed her that all employees were going to have to wear fitbits all the time and the school and their insurance company would get the data. Most employees liked the idea, the ones that didn't just mumbled. DM was the only one to inform the administration that in no way was she going to wear a fitbit, let alone one where THEY were collecting the data on her. They ended up backing down and saying it was voluntary "this year". They are saying they are gonna make it mandatory next year because "they will get better insurance rates." She wont be complying.

We used to notch the ears of hogs when I was a child because we let them run loose in our woods and they would not be confused with hogs down the way at the next farm . These hogs lived free until we butchered them .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    My mom went through something like this, this year. At the beginning of the year the school informed her that all employees were going to have to wear fitbits all the time and the school and their insurance company would get the data. Most employees liked the idea, the ones that didn't just mumbled. DM was the only one to inform the administration that in no way was she going to wear a fitbit, let alone one where THEY were collecting the data on her. They ended up backing down and saying it was voluntary "this year". They are saying they are gonna make it mandatory next year because "they will get better insurance rates." She wont be complying.
    Good for your mom.

But this is why, ultimately, we fail.

Most people love this, they love being enslaved, they willingly and gladly line up to be monitored and tracked and traced.

And our small little band of refuseniks lacks the numbers, the will and moral courage to tell the rest of Idiot AmeriKa to sit down and shut the $#@! up.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Good for your mom.

Most people love this, they love being enslaved, they willingly and gladly line up to be monitored and tracked and traced.

And our small little band of refuseniks lacks the numbers, the will and moral courage to tell the rest of Idiot AmeriKa to sit down and shut the $#@! up.
    This is where people go into extreme places about these sort of stories. One, people do not like being enslaved. They like being taken care off by the authorities along with getting cheap stuff be it insurance, cars, computers, houses etc and latter reason is the number one reason why resistance is futile. People have always and will always search for bargains on just about everything. The insurance companies would offer cheaper rates for anyone willing to sign up and exercise using the fit bit and in time, people will voluntarily line up to sign up. And if the users exercise and improve their health status, it would save the insurance company money which they would pass on to the consumers. Lastly, those devices actually encourage people to exercise which is good.

Even in the OP, the chip is not mandatory. You still have the option of inconveniencing yourself by forgoing the chip. I remember when the internet came out, we had pastors back home saying how this was prophesied in the bible and that it was a sign of the end times. Well, its not, its just human advancement doing what it has been doing ever since humans using their brains.

People are getting themselves worked up for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Good for your mom.
    The part I found "funny" was they were saying it was mandatory, but still forcing them to buy the fitbits themselves. I guess these are the folks that support Obamacare.

DM related to me how she heard 2 teachers talking about it and they were excited because "it will keep me on track" and "maybe I'll finally lose weight this year". And it upset her because, "I already go out off my way to take care of myself on my own dime, I don't need somebody else to force me to do it and monitor me."
    Made me smile as we've had some heated arguments about freedom and liberty over the years and sometimes stuff like this is all it takes to push one over to the pro-liberty side.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    This is where people go into extreme places about these sort of stories. One, people do not like being enslaved. They like being taken care off by the authorities along with getting cheap stuff be it insurance, cars, computers, houses etc and latter reason is the number one reason why resistance is futile. People have always and will always search for bargains on just about everything. The insurance companies would offer cheaper rates for anyone willing to sign up and exercise using the fit bit and in time, people will voluntarily line up to sign up. And if the users exercise and improve their health status, it would save the insurance company money which they would pass on to the consumers. Lastly, those devices actually encourage people to exercise which is good.

Even in the OP, the chip is not mandatory. You still have the option of inconveniencing yourself by forgoing the chip. I remember when the internet came out, we had pastors back home saying how this was prophesied in the bible and that it was a sign of the end times. Well, its not, its just human advancement doing what it has been doing ever since humans using their brains.

People are getting themselves worked up for no good reason.
    Well I can tell you for certain that DM's school district initially claimed it was MANDATORY and they are still claiming it will be MANDATORY next year. Some BS about they only get the better insurance rates if EVERYBODY complies.

As AF is sure to point out, it always starts out as "voluntary" then when they get you used to it, then they switch to mandatory.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well I can tell you for certain that DM's school district initially claimed it was MANDATORY and they are still claiming it will be MANDATORY next year. Some BS about they only get the better insurance rates if EVERYBODY complies.

As AF is sure to point out, it always starts out as "voluntary" then when they get you used to it, then they switch to mandatory.
    The OP was talking about chips and DM story is about the fitbit. The latter is a device you can give to your dog to run up the miles and heart rate for you (maybe?). I can see how a school district trying to save money on healthcare cost would introduce this device. They do it because school districts are cash strapped and yes they will keep pushing it until they succeed. Personally the easiest way to implement this is to have assess health risk on individual basis but I bet some union or collective bargaining law prevents the school district from doing such a thing. This way, the people willing to play ball gets a saving on their insurance rates.

Why do you think the claim about insurance savings is BS? I don't see why they would be making it up. If govt really wants to track you, they can just follow the tracker on your cell phone or just keep up with your Facebook account. Besides that, there are a lot of logistics problems with chipping and maintaining the microchips on humans that would make it a bad tracking device.

These have already been foretold and written. To those who know the Father through the Son, these are sure signs of the coming Armegeddon.

Repentance and faith is what is required.

If you haven't read the Gospel, there is still time yet.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

<--- my actual expression for about 15 seconds after reading that.
    That's insane.

Good for your mom.